Start by marking “Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good” as Want to Read:

"After an impressive career as a physician and surgeon in the treatment of heart disease, Steve Gundry has been inspired to apply his experience, intellect and scientific background to preventive health measures. This practical and easily readable book describes Gundry's advice for heart health and general physical improvement. While people have no choice in their heredity ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution, please sign up.
Lachlan McIntire It contains Goji Extract, something he said to stay away from. However, Miracle Reds only has assimilable sugars, and berries such as blueberries are…moreIt contains Goji Extract, something he said to stay away from. However, Miracle Reds only has assimilable sugars, and berries such as blueberries are something you almost need in your diet; most antioxidant blends contain traces from blueberries. The biggest problem with Miracle Reds according to Dr. Gundry is the Lectin levels.(less)

Starjustin
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is very interesting and motivating for a new beginning to life-style changes that improve your well being r/t improving your health status, weight control, improved energy levels, and positive mindset to living life.
Lori
Feb 08, 2013 added it
I tried; I lost. I stopped trying; I regained. The premise makes a lot of sense, but I just want to eat bread.
Leah
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ignore, for a moment (or forever) the part about weight loss. I'm pretty sure that's just a caveat that was added in to sell the book to a broader audience. It's a bit of a misnomer, because that's hardly the focus of the book. I first became aware of this Cardiologist, because my future mother-in-law suffered a heart attack and sought out treatment from him in Palm Springs. At first I was somewhat skeptical, but then my own parents came back from Palm Springs after having spent time with Andrew ...more
Sheila
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
My husband ordered this after having a heart attack because he wanted to try something drastic to clean out his arteries. We had already been eating what I had been taught was a healthy diet- only two eggs a week, Meatless Mondays, 5 a day of vegetables or fruit, limited refined sugars, etc. and neither of us are obese. I am a physician, and my first reaction to reading it was that people lose weight on this program because it is so restrictive it is essentially a low-calorie diet. I would have ...more
Kikibird Hinlo
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What do I think? If you don't get yourself either a paperback or Kindle copy of this book you're crazy! This is the most fascinating and intelligent approach I have ever read to nutrition, weight loss, and how our genes work.

This book has it all. Dr. Gundry is a renown cardiovascular surgeon who also hold patents on some cardiac surgical devices, and he's done a lot or research. He has used himself, his staff, and scores of very ill cardiac patients as case studies for this successful life styl
Thorey
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother became a patient of Dr. Gundry about a year ago, and for a woman who could never stick to a diet and never lose weight, this has done wonders for her. She has lost about 30 pounds, and has another 25 or so to go, and she looks amazing. So, I read the book. It isn't the best written book in the world (they never are all that well written), but I found it interesting to hear the science behind his theory, and his conclusions dovetailed exactly with other things I have read about how the ...more
Linda
I wanted to love this book. It was full of good advice and enviable pictures of people who had re-shaped their bodies. But, the mantra remains the same about eating properly, not eating too much and exercising. I KNOW all of that and don't do it anyway, so, oh well.
Alan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting and easy to follow concepts. Very straight forward plan.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
As with all 'diet' books I've read by Dr.'s with sound research and evidence based theory I take the information and incorporate it into my daily diet but find it difficult to resort the extreme measures with which he suggests you live you daily life. There is some very good health information and interesting read.
Dawn
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Companion to Dr. Gundry’s original The Plant Paradox bestselling nutritional book that helps to cure illnesses with diet. More great ideas , meal plans, and rescipes.
Katia Agafonova
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The idea is good, the book is easy to read, but seems it hasn't conquered my sole and gut to the very end. After three weeks I understood I just can't do it anymore. Nevertheless, the promised 3 kg were gone (I'm average weight and was doing it for health and a bit for weight loss). Seems you have to combine this book with some psychological one on achieving set targets or keeping to the plan. I understood it works and works good, but seems so hard make it to the very end (cause the final idea t ...more
Patrick Rogan
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of "Younger Next Year" then you are going to love this book. Steven Gundry focuses on nutrition in a way that is light and easy to understand. The first few chapters give a good overview of why this diet works. I now know that my genes are not my friends, but they can be manipulated.
Ray Edwards
Solid Reasoning, No-Hype Health Advice From a Physician

I found Dr. Gundry's book to be intriguing, in that it is the first book I have read in this area addressing the genetic component of diet & exercise. I do feel the book could be more clear in laying out the steps of the recommended program. Nevertheless, highly recommended.
Brenda
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I both read the book and have been partially to mostly following Dr. Gundry's diet regime. We've both dropped weight without really trying and it's been staying off. The biggest bonus for us both though is how much better we feel all the way around. Following his advice is worthwhile.
Joe
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book advocates a diet composed almost entirely of (mostly raw) plant- based foods, very little protein, and no flour or other white foods. While this type of diet may be effective for some individuals, the scientific support for the author’s conclusions sounds rather questionable.
Susan
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Worth it! Combining genetics, anthropology, nutrition and medicine his approach to our eating habits and plan for how to eat toward health are thought provoking and include ideas worth incorporating into our daily lives.
Debbie Nichols
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

He is highly educated and an expert. A few references are to research that is no longer valid, but they were valid when the book was written. I'm anxious for the new book he's writing.
Bonnie1750
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been especially helpful to me in improving my blood chemistry's and managing my weight
Adrienna
I came across this author from a Facebook ad, and saw something on social media that caught my curiosity.

The rhymes are catchy and a bit humorous. I think the diet itself reminds me of the keto diet, some may see the similarity to Paleo diet too. Overall I feel like depriving many foods to see if it works and another book with phases. I tried one the beginning of the year, and stop grains in phase one, did see results but once I gradually added back to diet in phase three and went back to some e
Connie Curtis
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book even though I know there's no way on this earth I'll ever do this diet evolution. I know it works to help people lose weight and probably cures all your diseases. I agree with his gene theory. I just can't stop eating sugar for the rest of my life, nor do I want to be extreme in my eating. To me that is extreme and unsustainable.

I will, however, eat more veggies and greens as he suggests, and I will cut down on sugar drastically. He explains the clear, though highly unusual
Nicole Ediss
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although Dr. Gundry has updated many of the foods he recommends in this book - seriously! some foods in here he's now adamantly against - I still recommend reading it first. I really got my perspective change about lifestyle and health from this book. In some ways it's more important than the second one, but the second book just has way more up to date information and research. I definitely recommend reading both the diet evolution and Plant Paradox. You won't regret it.
Christine Buck
I found that he contradicted himself many times. For example, if you have ever listened to his audio, he talks about how the nightshade veggies are bad, tomatoes for one, but yet there are tomatoes in many of his recipes. The same for Splenda, yet his cookie recipe calls for 1/3 cup of it. I found it hard to want to read thru all the main chapters without wanting to just jump to the diet plans and recipes at the end of the book.
Kelly MacIver
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this because his perspective is unique, and I get asked about this stuff a lot. This is a very restrictive eating plan, and at the end of the day just another low calorie diet in truth. I’d be interested to compare to another diet with the same kind of calorie restriction and see if there really is a difference in terms of genetics. One takeaway is that I am now thinking a lot about whether I am a “successful animal”.
Margarete Mittendorf
A New Way to LIVE

The book explains the workings of your genes and how/why they respond to food, exercise, the environment, etc. It's easy to understand. Everything is laid out step by step. What foods to buy, how to prepare them, and how to alter the recipes at each phase are all there.
David
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of what is needed to thrive

I enjoyed this book. If you are familiar with the mounting evidence showing the link between omega 6/seed oils and metabolic disorder you will likely find his suggestions to be mostly helpful. There are some recipes included that I haven’t tried yet but will now that I’ve finished the book.
Sher
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It sounds like the right way to eat and live with a few exceptions. He makes it sound bad to eat fruit, which I can't buy into. However, if I were very ill with some crazy disease, I would give this a second thought. I believe it has the ability to heal things that medicine cannot touch. But for now, I just cannot be locked into another diet.
CJ
This sounds pretty good but difficult. I found information on certain supplements that was very helpful as well. I will have to order the actual book before trying to start phase 1, but I might take a look at the Plant Paradox, also by Dr. Gundry only more recently, before I start the program to see how different the plans are.
Tracey
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very informative. I have been learning about different foods and how beneficial they are, or are not! This is a realistic approach to eating. One can take it as strict or as easy as he/she would like and they would still be healthier than they are at present. I need to find a copy for myself since I plan to get started right away! My copy right now is the library's!!!!!
Heather
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing terribly new at this point. Some useful info, and a new idea: moving through paleo to more plant-based in pursuit of micronutrients. That's the interesting concept. Good recipes and meal plans.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Crazy Makers
  • Naked Calories: How Micronutrients Can Maximize Weight Loss, Prevent Disease and Enhance Your Life
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Pharmageddon
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth about Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Sexy by Nature: The Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-Long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The Diet Cure
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Why Some Like It Hot: Food, Genes, and Cultural Diversity
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
“YOUR GENES ARE RUNNING THE SHOW If you’re anything like me, I know you’re champing at the bit to get going on Diet Evolution, but hold your horses. I’ve found that most of us can stick to a program only if we understand how and why we got to our present state of affairs. The next four chapters will do just that. You can thank Mom and Dad for your beautiful baby blues, as well as your hair color, height, and build. All these traits were encoded in copies of their genes—half of them her’s, the other half his—that now reside in your body. Any children you have will in turn have copies of half of your genes and half of your partner’s, and so on through generations to come. Determining” 1 likes
“micronutrients. Its introduction fired the first warning” 1 likes