Start by marking “Welcome Home” as Want to Read:

Welcome Home

Welcome Home collects a number of adoption-themed fictional short stories, and brings them together in one anthology from a diverse range of celebrated Young Adult authors. The all-star roster includes Edgar-award winner Mindy McGinnis, New York Times bestselling authors C.J. Redwine (The Shadow Queen) and William Ritter (Jackaby), and acclaimed YA authors across all genre ...more
Paperback
Published September 5th 2017 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Welcome Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome Home

C.J.
Sep 24, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Super excited to be part of such an important anthology.
Hristina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the idea behind this collection more than I liked the collection. Short stories about adoption, all of them with happy endings? Yes please. But the execution let me down a little, I feel like most of the stories were rushed and ended abruptly. It was more of a glimpse into a story, then a story itself. There’s a lot of interesting glimpses into potentially beautiful stories, making me wish there was at least a little bit more.
What was absolutely enjoyable though was the abundance of diff
jv poore
This collection of short stories about adoption is outstanding. With each story written by a different author, your Want to Read list may grow exponentially (mine did.)
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This was written with the intention of giving adopted kids stories of their own, which is a great idea, and I'm sure if I were adopted this might be easier to connect with. The problem is that all the stories are only around ten pages. Ten pages is just not enough to come up with a coherent plot and character development, no matter the talent of the author.

At some point I decided I didn't want to keep going with this; it was clear that though many were very talented, almost none of the authors
Chelsea
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
A lot of strong, heatwarming stories in this adoption-centered anthology. I'm not a huge anthology person, so I gave it a 3.5 overall. Some stories were awesome, some were okay, didn't hate any of them. This anthology probably has the most authors I have ever seen in one anthology, so the stories were all pretty short, almost like flash fiction. Recommended for people who enjoy short story collections!

Carlos and the Fifteen-Year-Old Heart by Adi Alsaid - 4 stars
Well written but had
Liza Wiemer
Mar 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'm really looking forward to reading this. What many people DO NOT know about me is that I have/had an adopted brother. There's an intense story there, one perhaps I'll share/write about one of these days.

But it does remind me of this: Remember, be kind and compassionate to people. Unless you live with someone, you really don't know what goes on behind closed doors, and even then, within your own home, you may not know everything. Be very careful with your assumptions and judgments. xx

This is a
Tasha
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-arc, short-stories
I do have ratings for each individual story which I will add later (if I remember). Overall I enjoyed this anthology. I have no experience with any kind of adoption process but I really hope these stories can help others, who might have been through similar things, feel heard.
Some of the stories are really short and I personally didn't get a lot out of a few but there are definitely some goodies in there.
Jen
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OhMyHeart...this book should come with a pallet (not a box) of tissues.

My Top 5 (in no particular order)
The Take Back
Peace of Paper
Up By A Million
These Broken Stars
Ink Drips Black

Read it.
Natasha Sinel
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so excited to be a part of this! Can't wait to hold it in my hands.
La La
This was one of those anthologies I have talked about before where a publishing house (this time it was an agent) gets a couple of high profile authors to contribute stories to a themed anthology and then they fill the rest of the book with unknown, some even previously unpublished, writers. Collections like this are usually less than 50% good, and that would be okay if the publisher only charged $1.99, or even better, 99¢ for the ebook because they are basically promotional samplers. This ebook ...more
Sophiesticated
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Individual Thoughts On The Stories:

1- Carlos and The Fifteen-Year-Old Heart by Adi Alsaid. 4/5 stars
This was one of the stories that I remember the most. Maybe it is because it was the first one I read, the first one that introduced me to the anthology, or maybe because the elements of this first short tale surprised me a lot. I don’t want to give anything about this one away, though.
All I’m going to say about Adi Alsaid’s short story was that I really liked it. The narration was soothing and it
Amber
A mixed bag, but there are some goodies in it.
I received an ecopy of this through netgalley; however all opinions are my own.
Holly
Jun 16, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Carlos and the Fifteen-Year-Old Heart by Adi Alsaid was eh. I think I got what he was going for, but it just didn't click well for me. (2 stars)

Strong Enough by Karen Atkins twisted the topic of adoption through a superhero storyline. So that was interesting, but I wish it'd been longer. I know it's an anthology and these are supposed to be short, but it really didn't feel like, well, enough. Also, if you took out the fact that the MC was adopted by non-supers, it would not be in this collection
Brenda Drake
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping my heart and holding it until the final page, I cried, I laughed, and stayed up late reading the many stories in this anthology. Home comes in many sizes and colors, and it’s the characters and the love they share that make the many stories of this anthology real. I have personal experience with adoption. My daughter came to me fresh out of eighth grade from a troubled home. She’s become so much a part of my life that it feels like she’s always been here. The many genres of stories in t ...more
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm honored and excited to be a part of this short story collection focusing on adoption stories. The book releases September 5, 2017!
Mary H
Mar 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I am so here for this!
Krysti
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is really special anthology. All of the contributors's lives have been touched by adoption in some way, and I feel that their experiences certainly came through in the stories they've created, and Eric Smith has done a tremendous job putting them all together. I'm a huge fan of anthologies, and this is one that I have really been looking forward to for a while now.

There is just about every kind of story you could imagine about adoption in this collection from the beautiful and heartwarming
Ava
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a case of "It's not you, it's me", because I need to stop reading anthologies. I just don't like them.

I liked the theme of adoption here, and think this book will do so much, and I did like some of the stories...but I also disliked some.

I would recommend this book, and think it contains some great stories and messages, but naturally all of them just weren't for me, and I'm disappointed that I didn't like it more.

Hanna Fogel
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, flux
Anthologies can be difficult, but boy does this one get it right. I didn't connect with every single story, but the majority made me wish they were excerpts from longer books, which I'd call a success. Lots of perspectives on adoption that readers might not anticipate, in the best way.
Leah
With nearly thirty short stories to be found within this novel, there is an assortment of different settings and storytelling techniques for a reader to choose from and enjoy. This collection of stories is at times heartbreaking while, at others, it’s like a balm to soothe your wounded heart.

Check out the full review on my blog!
Nicole Hewitt
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I was really excited to read this anthology because of my personal connection to adoption: my youngest is adopted. In general, the stories were very short, which made them a bit harder to connect to. Still, some of these were gems.

A few of my favorites were “Up by a Million,” “Happy Beginning,” “The Take Back,” “Jar of Broken Wishes,” and “Upon the Horizon’s Verge.” That last one was my favorite and has stuck with me t
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I enjoyed every story in Welcome Home. I rated each story separately. 3-4 meant that I liked the story and how it was presented. 4 1/2-5 meant that I really wanted more to the stories. Something connected to me a bit more in those ones. Overall, I gave the book 4 stars.

Carlos and the Fifteen-Year-Old Heart by Adi Alsaid 4 stars

Strong Enough by Karen Akins 4 stars

The Sign by Erica M. Chapman 4 stars

Up by a Million by Caela Carter 5 stars This one stood out a bit more than some of the others. An
Samantha
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
WELCOME HOME is a collection of stories about adoption from a number of perspectives, from teens who are meeting their birth parents for the first time to ones choosing whether or not to have their own children up for adoption. There is a wide variety of authors from C.J. Redwine to Eric Smith (also the editor of the collection to Sangu Mandanna.

Anthologies are some of the hardest books to review, particularly in this case. The voices, genres, and perspectives range across the board, bound by t
Karen • The Book Return
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog
*I received this book for free from the Publisher (via Netgalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I have mixed feelings about anthologies. Anthologies are a great way to be introduced to  new authors. However, in every anthology there are always few stories that just aren't really my jam. I do love adoption stories so I thought I would give this one a shot.

I loved al

Rachel Marie
As always, it's very hard for me to review an anthology. Of course there are stories that I liked, and some that I didn't. I think this is an important one, with stories that are very needed in YA, especially.

In general, I think this anthology had a good mix, both in genre of stories and voice. Some will be good for younger audiences, and I think some will speak to older audiences. The running theme of adoption is such an important one.

Ultimately I felt that as a whole, this book fell a little f
USOM
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the editor. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Welcome Home features stories that blur the magical with the ordinary with the thread of adoption connecting them all. There's mermaids, moments stuck in 1985, and superheroes. The collection features short stories of various lengths, and I do mean short. They pack a punch in few words. There is hope and heartbreak within one story. All in all this was an emotional read for me ab
Beth
Feb 18, 2018 added it
I am getting really frustrated with Goodreads ... please understand that it isn't the author ... i won a kindle copy of this book through Goodreads and didn't get it ... I am not sure what is going on ...but I apparently have won 3 books from different authors and not gotten any of them??! Not sure what is going on with Goodreads or Amazon ... just not sure? I think it needs to be known ... not sure what we the reader can do? so frustrating. : (
Rachel Strolle
Favorite stories are from Sangu Mandanna, William Ritter, and Tristina Wright

This is one of those anthologies that, while there were definitely stories I was not a super fan of, I think it is so wonderful that it exists. I always struggle with recommendations when people ask me for books with main characters who were adopted, so having this as an option really will help in that regard
Hannah (Sakurahan or ForeverBooks18)
I read about half of the novellas. Some were good, some weren't so good but the main problem I had with this was that all the novella's were by different authors. Yes, they all centred around adoption but one was set in the real world and one was set in space!
Kelly
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This beautiful anthology focuses on the overall theme of adoption and family and love, but that is the only thing tying all these stories together. These stories vary drastically (there are 29 of them!), and they cover all sorts of topics from superheroes to kidnappings, from tragedies to discoveries, from love to love to love. These are stories of love, family, and hope. Of the different shapes that families can take, and the fact that blood isn’t the only thing that binds a family. Of the resi ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eric Smith is an author, blogger, and literary agent from New Jersey.

His Young Adult books include the Inked duology (Bloomsbury), the anthology Welcome Home (Flux), The Girl & the Grove (Flux), and the forthcoming Reclaim the Sun (2020, Inkyard Press / Harlequin Teen).

His first non-fiction, The Geek's Guide to Dating, was published with Quirk Books in December 2013. It was an Indiebound bests
“And love is work. But it's the best kind of work there is.” 2 likes
“Plenty of things in the universe are old, my dear. That's like saying Florida is a metaphor for hell because they're both hot - though your grandfather would agree wholeheartedly with that, I suppose.” 1 likes