Start by marking “Blood Money and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blood Money and Other Stories

Blood Money and Other Stories

A stellar collection of short fiction that spans the beloved master’s writing career

The legendary New York Times bestselling author returns with another stellar collection of Western short fiction. In these classic tales that span more than five decades—including the first story he ever published, “The Trail of the Apache”—Elmore Leonard once again demonstrates the superb
Published September 26th 2006 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Blood Money and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Money and Other Stories

Start your review of Blood Money and Other Stories
Mark Stone
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
What can I say about Elmore Leonard that I haven't already? The man was a freaking writing genius and it shows in most of the short stories within this book, nowhere more so than in The Longest Day of His Life. The main characters in that (man and woman) are utterly charming and captivating. Highly recommended read.
Michael
280517: quick, short, sharp, comic. another ebook downed from library for a break. one of Elmore Leonard's rules about writing is to leave out words the reader will skip: so in reading this i add all the words in my mind that he has taken out. cinematic, swift, words only as needed...
Jordan
Not quite as strong a collection as Three-Ten to Yuma but with several good ones.

Leonard excelled at the last stand, with the good guys holed up in a desperate and untenable position awaiting a final attack. It’s in a couple of stories here, including “Blood Money” and “The Longest Day of His Life,” foreshadowing novel-sized versions like Last Stand at Saber River and even The Moonshine War. There are also a couple clever stories involving jailhouses and condemned men.

Also interesting because
Shawn MacDonald
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first western I've ever read. I liked it, but because it was all short stories, I didn't really get to dig into it. I only went this route because I wanted to test the waters. It was good, but these were all written before he really became Dutch Leonard. I'll try one of the classics of the genre, Riders of the Lonesome Sage or something like that. But later. Next up we have Agatha Christie.
Matthew
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-western
I liked "Blood Money", "Saint with a Sixgun", and "Apache Medicine" the most in this collection.
Elisabeth
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Being in the mood for some Western short stories, I decided to try collections by a few different authors I'd never read before, and Elmore Leonard definitely came out the winner. This collection opens with a pair of rather tough and bloody cavalry stories; although they were unquestionably well-written, I did find myself hoping the whole book wouldn't be in that precise vein. It was not. The stories near the middle of the book were some of the best short Westerns I'd read in a long time. "Saint ...more
Wilson Lanue
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Seven brief Western stories. The first two are cavalry tales that rival James Warner Bellah for tone and surpass him in writing quality and conception. The next few are good but less so to varying degrees. The final story was a disappointment, clichéd Western action without a point.

Would easily recommend as light reading for other Western fans.
David
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoy the short story format, and these are well done. I am not really into westerns, but they had interesting characters, and were just fun to read. Kind of reminded me of Heinlein's short stories in a different genre.
Brian
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Western Tales

Not a big fan of westerners, but Leonard has a way with words that makes characters intriguing, genre aside. Plus, I enjoy story stories.
Shawn
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
My first Western. Read in one sitting. Good pulpy fun.
Darren
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
have to put it down for now. could not get into it at the moment
wally
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leonard
26 mar 15
#46 from leonard for me? i think that is the number
29 mar 15 finished. good stories. beginning, middle, end. who could ask for more?
onward and upward
Dave
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Good short stories. I found them entertaining and I like to read short stories at times.
Tanuj Solanki
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, america, western
Though simple in their themes, these stories deceive through their detail and their pace. One never feels one is not in the hands of a master.
Steve
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised--Elmore Leonard is a terrific Western author!
Joe
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Not earth shaking, but a fine collection of short stories.
Eliana
Apr 05, 2014 added it
Criminal suspense, usually told from the criminal's point of view. Leonard's criminal protagonista are among the most likeable of the genre! Funny, with excellent plot lines.
Amanda
Sep 22, 2015
Doug
Feb 20, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing
  • A Purple Place for Dying (Travis McGee #3)
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
  • The Far Empty
  • The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1)
  • The Captains (Brotherhood of War, #2)
  • The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • The Majors (Brotherhood of War, #3)
  • Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America
  • Ghost Story
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
  • The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  • Skink--No Surrender (Skink #7)
  • Verona
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into ...more