Start by marking “Glitz” as Want to Read:
Glitz

Glitz

Having been shot by a junkie and had his medical leave cancelled, Miami cop Vincent Mora is sent to Atlantic City to track down Teddy Magyk, a vicious killer with a mommy fixation and a grudge. Can things get any worse?
Published February 1st 2006 by Phoenix (first published 1985)

Jessica
Man, you know, I love him to death but it really must be said: Elmore Leonard is (was) a hopeless cheeseball. It's a feature of all his books, but the corniness of the love scenes in Glitz was almost too much to take. Ditto the romantic heroism of its paragon of perfect manhood, the scruffy but inimitable -- and universally irresistible -- off-duty cop Vincent Mora. I've always thought of Leonard's crime fiction as sappy romances with a rough, bloody veneer that's supposed to make them okay for ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
What a great book! Vincent Mora is the kind of man I'd love as a friend. Sweet, smart, loyal, and he knows his limitations. He also is able to suss out the limitations of the world around him and quickly accept it all for what it is and not waste time whining. He's a good person, a good cop and he still wants to do things without crossing over too many lines. He likes people, too. While he is a great person, he is uncomfortable with violence, but he has an understanding of the men who commit it ...more
Lauren
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
While Glitz gets a little bogged down in Atlantic City--most of the mobster entanglements are incidental and unnecessary--it has a strong core, with a compelling hero and villain. Vincent, our protagonist, is a cop who begins the novel both recovering and vacationing in Puerto Rico. He's recently been shot--it's a vivid, specific event, and in a nice detail, he still remembers what groceries he was carrying--but that's not troubling him as much as the fact that he killed the man who shot him. He ...more
Philip Elliott
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhh, Elmore Leonard. When he's good he's great and when he's not he's—who am I kidding, he's always great. GLITZ is one of Leonard's faster reads, and pure fun despite the villain at the heart of it, Teddy Magyk, a serial rapist-murderer-necrophiliac with a homosexual prison relationship behind him and dark obsession with the cop who put him away, protagonist Vincent Mora. Yeah, Ted's pretty twisted. But Leonard plays it smart by keeping the brutal actions outside the scenes and injecting lots ...more
Beverly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
No one else writes like him, he is a true original. I read this in 2 days and it's not even one of his best. His male heroes are always cool, competent, and decent. Everything moves at a fast clip, if you can't keep up, sorry.
Michael
Lt. Vincent Moro of the Miami Police department is wounded in a shootout. He goes to Puerto Rico to recuperate.

While there, he meets and spends time with Iris, a lovely but naive prostitute.

Another man arrives and begins to follow them. This man, Teddy Mazyk, is a deranged killer who was recently released from jail. He wants to take revenge against Moro because Moro is the person who caught him in a crime and was responsible for him going to jail.

There are a number of excellent plot twists as th
Plum-crazy
This is the first book I've read by Elmore Leonard although I was aware of his work. The cover of the book seemed very 1970's to me so I was surprised to see it had been written 1985.
It wasn't as blatantly un-PC as some novels I've read of this period, & while obviously there was no reference to social media/technology/internet etc it didn't strike me as particularly dated.

I liked the storyline & liked the characters, though sometimes the dialogue or descriptions seemed a bit abrupt. Ho
Jamie
In Glitz, Elmore said he wrote the one guy he didn’t like, the only bad guy he ever wrote. Here’s the thing, though. Elmore’s worst only bad guy is still so entertaining that he rates an exemption to my rule of hating stories about psychopaths.

And trust me, if you are hating Teddy Magyk, there is plenty more here to love.
Jonathan Maas
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I inadvertently got into Elmore Leonard through his movies (Killshot, which was incredible), and decided to give his book a shot. Great, timeless work - highly recommended. Written awhile ago but still great today :)
Jessica
Nov 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gene Simmons
Shelves: read-in-2009, fiction
The portrayal of women in this book made me sick. This author clearly is a misogynistic pig. The female characters in the book are developed solely through their looks and either one of two types of outdated wafer thin personalities. Either they are the weak helpless damsel in distress type that need the male characters to save them. Or if they are portrayed as strong women they are painted in a harsh light as ball busters, bitches and what not. I found this intolerable. Clearly the jack-off tha ...more
Josh
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime, read_2017
Glitz is another gem by Elmore Leonard about a Miami cop named Vincent Mora who is on sick leave in Puerto Rico after being shot while shopping for groceries. While he's out of action, he happens to fall hard for one of the local hookers, Iris. His infatuation, in part, is the glue that binds him to recently released criminal and convicted rapist Teddy Magyk (pronounced Magic). Teddy has a hard-on for Vincent, after all he's the cop who caught him and helped put him behind bars for over 7 years. ...more
Jake
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
(3.5) I wanted to like this book more than I did (and I almost lied to myself by giving it four starts). It's good enough for what I was looking for but I expected a little more from Leonard. I just didn't find the main character to be as interesting as I should have. Once more, like LaBrava, I wish Leonard had focused more on the female characters as both Linda and LaDonna were fascinating in their own respects.
Lei Kit
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first Elmore. I believe this is not his best but still it hit me. Very refreshing, very entertaining. The dialogues and proses are perfect. I don't care much for the plot, but like Elmore said in his books you don't usually see a plot. He's interested in the people and how they are doing over the length of the book. In this regard, he nailed it. I definitely need to check out his other works.
wally
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leonard
read this one back in march of this year...december now...the year almost over...me catching up on things. i've read 45 titles from leonard and the kindle is great...easy to purchase online, download, it happens...there it is...you can read it without ever leaving the house. i imagine you could find used copies...some of his stories probably see print from time to time...and they are all good reads. leonard tells a good story.

this one begins:
the night vincent was shot he saw it coming. the guy a
Sharon
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
The writing itself was fantastic, though fairly stylized. It's kind of repetitive and snappy as well as dialogue heavy. None of this to it's disadvantage and it's certainly immersive enough.

But oof, this is not a book for me and probably not an author for me. It's very man view point centric so much that the female characters suffer for it. I appreciate the time it's written and even the character view point, but there was nothing in it I could relate to.

It was also pretty hard to get through
Ken Doggett
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glitz is a book written by Elmore Leonard. If you know his work, that's just about all that has to be said. He was the master of all he did, and he did just about everything. This one even has a minor touch of the paranormal in it, although it has little effect on the story. The characters are the usual Leonard suspects: the not-so-good good guys going after bad guys that range from moderately bad to downright sleazy. All of the characters are well drawn and interesting, and the dialogue between ...more
Nancy
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I hit page 2 of this book I realized that I'd already read it but that didn't stop me from romping through it again.

Elmore Leonard creates such compelling characters that his bad guys are often as engaging as his good guys. That what makes his books so entertaining. GLITZ has a particularly creepy villain and the off-duty cop who pursues him is charasmatic, chivalrous and totally cool.

There aren't too many writers that can make you smile as heads bang and bodies pile up, but Leonard does.
Sagheer Afzal
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was Elmore Leonard's first foray into crime fiction and it is an impressive achievement. I rate this book better than Road Dogs, which I felt was too terse for its own good. The dialogue is razor sharp and the humour is wry and distinct; not an easy feat for any writer. The more I read of Elmore Leonard the more I am learning. And what I learnt from this book is that you don't need to have funny segues to make a book funny. You can achieve that by adding quirkiness to the characters voice.
Luana
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elmore at his most professional self, this time really dipping into the horrible Death Wish 80s with an unrepentant CREEPO as the antagonist who keeps fallin' thru thu cracks of the legal system and an uncharacteristic amount of dead women (including raped old ladies!!!). It's all of course a bit more subdued than a DW movie, as is Leonard's wont, but you can't accuse him of not having his finger on the pulse!
Alex Lai
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Glitz is the best possible way to introduce anyone to crime novel (Thanks my reading buddy, Derek!). It has ingredients that a good crime novel should have, such as twists, dirty talks and styles, but what makes it great is the way Elmore handled each of his characters thoughtout the story- dazzling and solid.

I also understand why Stephen King wants to buy everything written by Elmore after finishing this book, because I would probably do the same!
Nancy
May 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book because of all the positive press Leonard was getting at the time. I was disappointed though—thought the characters were superficial and that Leonard leaned too heavily on the shock value of using obscene language. and not enough on character and plot development. Haven’t read anything of his since.
Still
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.
Elmore Leonard seemed to have a little trouble juggling so many different characters, psychos and other variations on personality disorders but I loved every last word.
It's still relatively early on in Elmore Leonard's crime novel career (1985) but it's magic.
Or should I say "Magyk"?
Debbie
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm usually not a detective story reader, but this one interested me because much of it takes place in Atlantic City, NJ, a favorite haunt. It actually was a very good story, kept my interest, had an interesting story line. I would recommend it.
Carlton Phelps
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mr Leonard does write a great story. The character development is perfect and the local color is spot on. Well worth looking this book up. Great crime novel.
J.D.  Frailey
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elmore-leonard
I don't think I had read this one before, one of his longer books, great stuff and a treat to read. Set on Miami Beach, so I sort of know a lot of the streets and places in the book.
Robin Friedman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elmore Leonard In Atlantic City

Elmore Leonard's novel have many settings, including Detroit, Hollywood, Mississippi, Harlan, Kentucky, the Arizona territory, and more. His books manage to capture a sense of place as well as telling a story. Published in 1985, "Glitz" was the first of Leonard's novels to make the best-seller list. The book also shows Leonard finding additional settings. Most of the book takes place in Atlantic City but there are important scenes in Puerto Rico and Florida as well
Eddie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This feels like two completely different novels crammed into one. The one about the cop who got shot and retired on disability to Puerto Rico where he has a good time and is stalked by a psycho he locked up years ago, is a really good one. The Atlantic City gangster story isn't bad either. How they both ended up in the same book involves a hooker-turned-casino hostess.
Thomas
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suspect "Glitz" is appreciated as a great crime thriller/detective novel by people who don't typically read many of those kinds of books. I do read a lot of that type of book, and for me it was pretty "meh." About 2/3 of the way in I actually found myself having to suck it up and finish the book, having mostly lost interest. It did start out pretty promising: Leonard certainly has the seasoned paperback pulp writer's knack for snappy dialogue and economical prose down. And the initial premise ...more
Martin
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016books
Not my favorite Elmore Leonard, but even second-tier Elmore Leonard is delightful and worth reading. There was a lot going on, great buildup, and lots of great characters as always; it was the payoff that felt a little bit unsatisfying. No big deal, Elmore Leonard remains THE KING.
Paul Bartusiak
How Elmore Leonard can teach us to watch Netflix

So much available for online viewing and consumption, capturing our time and attention, Netflix the prime example (or should I say culprit?). How can anyone have the time to read novels in the face of the the large volume of recycled TV, second or third rate movies, and "original content" available?

This Christmas season [which slows me down, affords me the opportunity to read, watch, and take stock] reminded me of how...made it, in fact, abundantly
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Day the President Was Shot: The Secret Service, the FBI, a Would-Be Killer, and the Attempted Assassination of Ronald Reagan (The Last Days Series)
  • Freeway Rick Ross: The Untold Autobiography
  • Stop & Frisk
  • True Stories from the Files of the FBI
  • Five Days: Which Days Would You Choose?
  • I Am Not Ashamed
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Whore Stories: A Revealing History of the World's Oldest Profession
  • Pizza Delivery
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m ...more
"Wonderful things can happen", Vincent said, "when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes." 37 likes