Start by marking “Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor” as Want to Read:
Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor

Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor

Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor In the vein of the best 'blog books' - the real life story of a hapless junior doctor, based on his columns written anonymously for the Telegraph Full description
Published February 21st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor

Start your review of Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
Arna
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Doctors and nurses are truly amazing. Review coming soon
Petra-X
There are so many just-qualified, first-time-in-A&E memoirs out there, that to stand out the book has to be really different from the rest of the genre. And this one isn't.

Its enjoyable enough to read, but I've read so many, and this one has no insights unusual anecdotes to relate. I do wonder whether the author remained a doctor or went into writing full-time though, since he wasn't exactly sold on medicine.

Katie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would be between a 4 and a 4.5 for me.

I love medical memoirs. The NHS is something which I love and have a strong interest in and I really enjoy books like this which give you a deep and meaningful insight in to the wonderful and crazy life that is the NHS.

It had just the right balance of humour and emotion and I struggled putting it down once I’d picked it up. There are two more books in this series and I can’t wait to read them.
Anne
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it

Published in 2008, this is Max Pemberton's account of his first year as a doctor, working as a Junior Doctor in a large hospital. He had a regular newspaper column during that time, and this book is taken from that.
This account is so funny in places that I spluttered and snorted on more than one occasion, but the strange thing is that although it really is funny, it shouldn't be. I know that things in the NHS and the conditions for Junior Doctors have changed in the years since this book was wri
Thomas Jancis
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I brought this book for my little sister who is doing her damn best to get the A2 marks to be able to train as a doctor. (And don’t ask what field. She wants to get into the school before she has to worry about that).
She seemed to enjoy it and it ended up in the car as a “stakeout” book. I would page through as I waited for people to get in the car.
By mad chance I read three quarters of it in a hospital as I helped my mother take my grandfather to an appointment.
I do enjoy these kinds of books w
Georgina Wyatt
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
out of all the NHS doctor books i’ve read lately, this one is by far my favorite 🏩💊💉

it’s written in journal entry form, it’s witty, it’s heartfelt, and it’s relatable as hell.

max really goes into detail about the sheer horror and deer in headlights anxiety of being a brand new doctor who is expected to pretty much know everything when in reality he knows next to nothing.

i love how candid he is about this. it’s refreshing.

he gives nurses a lot of credit, which is wonderful. there were a lot of
Inês
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5.0

In this book Max narrates his experiences as a junior doctor, a just off-the-box new doctor, in the NHS in England. I'm also a brand new doctor myself, and I've experienced in the last six months what is to become a part of an hospital for the first time.
I could really see myself in Max's views of the world and opinions. When we're let out of medical school we know a lot about a serires of diseases we will never encounter in our lives, but we know next to nothing about the pratical asp
Chaz Amber
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book by accident looking for This Is Going To Hurt and I'm really glad I did. Read both of them back to back and enjoyed them both.
Stephanie
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The author describes this book as both fiction and an autobiography which means that he has changed some parts of his story to keep the details of his patients and friends private. I really liked how this book was divided into months of the year, as well as days within the months, which gave it a journal feel. I learnt a lot about the NHS in this book, as well as the pressures that are put on junior doctors when they have just graduated out of medical school
ziqqie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the best books I've ever read!
Sophia
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Trust Me is just another 'diary' of the 'reality' of life as a doctor, only this one is not particularly well-written. It taking me so long to read reflects the quality of the book.

I picked this book up some years back, probably in a Waterstones offer because I needed another book and had read good things (read: puff pieces) about it. The premise was appealing; I love a diary and the world of medicine has always called to the five-year-old me who declared that she would become a doctor. (I am no
Shaika Subah  Shreya
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay recently and I picked this up as soon as I saw it since they are both similar and I loved the former one. This, too, was an insightful and interesting chronicle of the author's first year as a doctor in the NHS. It takes a little time to warm up to the book but it is quite captivating once you do.

There were also some glint of new information in this book about NHS. The provision surrounding NHS services by private companies and how they are affecting hea
Tina
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book which highlights the problems in the NHS due to underfunding and over-reliance on bureaucracy and middle-management. The NHS should not be a for-profit organisation and this book gently and wittily gives the reasons why. Anyone who intends to become a doctor should read this in order to prepare themselves even a little for the hard work ahead of them, and anyone who may need NHS care should read this to have a little empathy for those who will treat them. Excellent and strongly ...more
Miffy
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my third time reading this and I felt that I could relate to it a lot more than I used to, since I am now a medical student. I really love how Max Pemberton has made it accessible and readable to the general public and people in medical professions alike. It made me laugh, smile and occassionally upset me a bit.
Shubhada
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Very humorous, having pockets of laughter tucked away almost every alternate page. I like the stories of doctors, stories that doctors tell and the stories that doctors are afraid to tell. Saloni will be going through all of these, and I want to know the kind of life she will have in the future.

Invariably, my mind goes back to Adam Kay's "This is Going to Hurt". It was disturbing to see such a brilliant doctor leave the path. Dr Pemberton in this book narrates the uphill task of being a junior
Leah Swan
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars.
Actually I liked this book more than I expected! Autobiographies are not really my type of book as I tend to find them a bit boring, however I thought I would give this a go as the topic is interesting and it looked like it contained some comedy moments.
The book follows Max in his first year as a junior doctor, straight out of medical school and straight into working on a hospital ward. The book takes us through the stress and worries of his first year as he and his fellow juniors
Erika
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Somehow Max Pemberton managed to drag me in and I was surprised just how easily the book flowed. Finished it within 3 days!

But there is so much more to this novel than just sarcasm and hospital gossip. It raises crucially important topics including a completely novice outlook on illegal drugs (personally, I never thought of them in the sense that Max Pemberton has). There's also talk of family pressure on plunging into a certain career and much more.

The text is seasoned with actuall
Dawn
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
The author reveals his vulnerabilities as a Junior Doctor: feeling scared, sleep deprived, insecure, weight loss, long hours, and how he nearly gave up. There are a lot of books written nowadays by Doctors (or former Doctors/Surgeons) and I've read several. I quite enjoyed reading this book, and will read the two sequels. The reader lives through the highs and lows along with the author through his first difficult year in medicine. I felt his pain even though the style of writing delivers the in ...more
Joe
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctor memoirs are an oversaturated category these days. I’ve read quite a few and this is one of the better ones. It does have its issues, which include the entries varying wildly in length from a few sentences to pages, the book showing its age due to changes in the NHS (though that isn’t the book’s fault of course!), and wanting to slap Ruby a fair few times.

But it’s a good book in spite of this. I’ve laughed, smiled, and felt emotional. My husband asked what was wrong when I squealed about
KEVIN L BILLINGS
Brilliant insight Into the life of a junior Doctor,

I really enjoyed this book as it portrayed the truth behind what a junior Doctor goes through.Having spent time in hospital as a patient and working for the NHS I have nothing but admiration for those brave young souls that choose Medicine as their profession.I look forward to reading the next book by Max Pemberton and think all junior Doctors should be given a copy of Trust me
Holly
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a damning, insightful view into the first year as a junior doctor on NHS hospital wards. Max Pemberton articulates the difficulties that the NHS is facing, as well as emphasising what a brilliant institution we have in the form of a universal health service, whilst weaving it into the everyday stories of life as a hospital doctor. I definitely recommend this book to everyone with any amount of vested interested in keeping the NHS alive.
Benenden School Library
This book is a real-life story about Dr Max Pemberton's first year as a junior doctor as the reality of his career choice and training set in.

I thought this account was especially interesting and well written, with just the right amount of humour in it.

I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good relaxing read, fans of This is Going to Hurt​, or is looking at becoming a doctor in the future. - Amelia, Year 10

BookAmbler
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, right up my street. This should probably be required reading for anyone who has ever complained about hospital treatment. Doctors are humans! What a steep learning curve they have to go through. Pemberton describes well the horror of that first year but tempers it with some great humour.
Roxy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a good account of a junior doctor in the NHS, but it's not the best, and has a much larger focus on the author's personal relationships and general hospital relationship drama than I was hoping for. If you want a more personal, intimate account then this might be the book for you, but I picked it up for a medical account of life in the NHS.
Helen Cristo
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
A easy-to-read account of life as a junior doctor. Basic story runs throughout, but really snippets of stories pieced together to allow you to dip in and out with ease. Grazed the surface of some deeper issues but only just. The kind of book you can read without thinking about it too much. Pleasant read but not so much that would seek out others in the series.
Lauren Jones
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind and heartfelt semi-autobiographical novel detailing the life of a doctor fresh out of medical school. Really enjoyable and at times, humorous, without coming across as being devoid of emotion. Perfect for lovers of This is Going to Hurt or anyone looking for an insight into the wonder that is the NHS.
Sharley
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interestingly insightful

Not as humorous as the reviews and summary had me believe but I found it very interesting and a good read. A mix of work based anecdotal life experience. Certainly appreciate what a Dr (and Nurse) go through more now and why they all deserve our respect
Christopher Yellop
Hope I'm not I'll in Feb or August?

A very different story ! How it is in hospital, warts and all,entertaining and also frightening if you were to be hospitalised at certain times in the year.
Helen Fletcher
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens to Medics in their first year after uni?

Honest & often humourous look at life on the wards from the viewpoint of those at the bottom of the heap - the junior doctors.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In Stitches
  • Confessions of a GP (The Confessions Series)
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Further Confessions of a GP
  • Sick Notes: A Doctor's Tale From The Front Lines Of Medicine
  • The Prison Doctor
  • Your Life in My Hands: A Junior Doctor's Story
  • Flight Risk: The Highs and Lows of Life as a Doctor at Heathrow Airport
  • Critical: Science and stories from the brink of human life
  • In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
  • This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
  • Unnatural Causes
  • Confessions of a Male Nurse
  • Blood, Sweat and Tea
  • A Bit of a Stretch
  • Cruise Ship S.O.S.: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Doctor at Sea
  • Confessions of a Barrister (The Confessions Series)
  • Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic

Max Pemberton is a doctor, journalist and writer. He is based in London and works in mental health.

He is a columnist for The Daily Telegraph, writing weekly on news events concerning culture, social and ethical issues, the politics of health care and the NHS. He is also a c