Start by marking “Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes (Scientists in the Field Series)” as Want to Read:
Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes (Scientists in the Field Series)

Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes (Scientists in the Field Series)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Mountain gorillas are playful, curious, beautiful, and fiercely protective of their families. They are also one of the most endangered species in the world. For many years, mountain gorillas have faced the threat of t death at the hands of poachers. Funds raised by “gorilla tourism”––bringing people into the forest to see these majestic animals––have helped protect gorilla ...more
Published May 27th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gorilla Doctors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gorilla Doctors

Abby Johnson
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Okay, you knew that humans and apes were genetically close. But did you know that humans and chimps are so close that you could get a blood transfusion from a chimp? Or that apes can catch human diseases? It's true. And that's one factor in the disappearing gorilla population (other factors are poachers and loss of habitat). This book is about a team of scientists that works to prevent gorillas from catching human diseases and to treat them when they become sick. It's interesting and informative ...more
Erin
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gorilla Doctors takes the reader on a journey into the forest with beautiful color photographs of the mountain gorillas in their natural habitats. The story begins with the Mountain Gorilla Veterinarian Project (MGVP) field veterinarians as they rescue and treat a gorilla named Mararo who has been caught in a poacher’s snare. The reader is able to read in detail the treatment given, tests administered, and the gorilla’s release back to her gorilla family. Detailed photographs of Mararo’s treatme ...more
Hillary Forrest
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
I selected this book, Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes by Pamela S. Turner, as my Scientist in the Field selection. This particular book was published by Houghton Mifflin and was recommended by Professor Kimmel. Prior to reading this book I was uneducated on the informational facts about gorillas. Instead I had various false prejudice opinions about the animal. I was so happy I selected this book! I learned so much about the Mountain Gorilla and their way of life.

Take a step into u
J L's Bibliomania
Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes is yet another competent book from the Scientists in the Field series. The best part are the wonderful pictures of the Gorillas, the scientists studying them and the field veterinarians protecting them from human diseases. The text is a bit dry and while it uses proper technical terms tends to over-explain them. It is difficult to tell whether the target audience is middle-school students, or a bit younger.

While about the Mountain Gorillas of Rwanda
Devon
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
LIBS 642 Junior Book Log
Literature Circle #5 Book
Source: Professor Kimmel

Gorilla Doctors is the true story of the journey of the conservation efforts being conducted in Rwanda and Uganda to protect the endangered Mountain Gorilla. The Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project is a group of scientists working to save the Mountain Gorilla, an animal native to Africa and one that is of the most endangered in the world. The Mountain Gorillas have faced the threat of poachers for many years but have recent
Rebecca Thomas
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1.) Genre-Non fiction (Informational)

2.) Summary- This book focuses on the habitat, biology, and dangers facing Mountain Gorillas in Africa.

3.) Area of focus- Content

3.)b.) The actual content of this book is varied, using both narrative text and photographs/illustrations. Readers will thoroughly enjoy the action-packed story in some sections followed by realistic pictures and interesting facts.

3.)c.) This book contains a lot of information. Readers get a true sense of what life is like for Mount
Rhiannon Hubble
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Genre: Juvenile Non-Fiction
2. This book focuses on the threat of human diseases found in mountain gorillas and what can and is being done about it.
3. a) Area for comment: Content
b)The content found within this book is sure to interest and engage children of all ages. There are many interesting facts that the author chooses to include in the book that will spark and hold the attention of children.
c)"Gorillas get runny noses, too! Scientists believe many diseases, including the common cold, can
Mary Harris
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Citation: Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes, by Pamela S. Turner. (Houghton Mifflin, 2005). 64p. Informational.
Genre: Junior Book – Informational
Summary: The book's focus was on mountain gorillas living in Rwanda, Africa. There were two scientists featured in the book Dr. Mike Cranfield and Dr. Felicia Nutter. The book explains the different types of gorillas found in Africa, their characteristics, and their habitat.
A. I thought the book was extremely engaging and factual. I learned
Ashley Adams
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Junior Book: Informational
2. This is a great informational book that recounts the story of veterinarians that traveled to treat injured gorillas, which are very endangered. This book describes gorillas, and the danger they are in everyday from poachers and tourists.
3. Critique:
a. The most important element of this book is the usage of pictures, graphs, and maps.
b. The pictures of the gorillas and the veterinarians who helped save them from diseases, injuries, and malnutrition are very heart
Samantha Duncan
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1. Genre: Junior Book: Non-Fiction
2. This book is about the species of Gorilla and the affects that human interaction has on them. It covers their environment, the near exact human/gorilla genetic similarities and more.
3. (A) Area for comment: Content
(B) The content in this book was awesome. The statistic and percentages of similarity between humans and gorillas is very interesting. There is a lot of content in this book, but it's explained in a way that's interesting and fun for all readers.
Amanda Zell
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: pbgs-4
This book offers great information about the endangered species of gorillas and encompasses several different aspects of this topic.

While I think it would be difficult to use this book as a read-aloud in a children’s classroom, it would definitely be a helpful source to refer to for different types of information. With an index, it is going to be a great source for any sort of research project, especially over those of endangered species. There is a mix of photography, maps and tables/graphs to
Meredith
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I absolutely love this series. The books are beautiful, with awesome full color pictures. Each book has a great blend of history and science. More resources are included at the back. They're simple enough for children to understand and interesting enough for adults to read. This book is no exception. And, since it's about my most favorite of all animals, gorillas, I was especially entranced by it. I learned a lot about how humans affect other species through reading this book. I can't recommend ...more
librarian4Him02
I picked up this book to get a feel for the autor. She was on my library' shot list for our one community, one book program. This was about s group of veterinarians who care for and advocate for endangered mountain gorillas in Rwanda and Uganda.

I recommend this for all animal lovers. It was a quick, interesting, and informative read.
Samantha Howard
The author of this non-fiction book tells the stories of Rwandan and Uganda gorillas that are endangered, and the vets adventures as they go to help the animals. This is an informational book because it is non-fiction and also includes concrete information for the reader. This book can be used to discuss endangered animals, what endangered means, and can be used to talk about extinction.
Andrea Scherer
I love love love the Scientists in the Field books. They're informative, but yet still really readable. The pictures are vivid and clear and interesting. They don't look like stock photos at all, which I really appreciate. This would be great for a student who is thinking about becoming a vet or someone who is just interested in animals. Quality nonfiction.
Tracy Holland
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Scientists in the Field are some of my favorite non fiction books and this is no exception.

Follow gorilla scientists as they work with mountain gorillas in Africa. Their jobs include tracking, caring, disease prevention, education as well as studying these great animals.
Ratforcekids
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Through fascinating writing and wonderful photographs, Pamela Turner tells an amazing story in Gorilla Doctors . It is the true tale of brave veterinarians who are working to save the endangered mountain gorillas.
The Reading Countess
It's hard to go wrong with any of the Scientists in the Field books in this fascinating series. Perhaps one of my favorite things, though, is the delight, wonder, and stewardship it stokes in the hearts of our young readers. They are, after all, the sooner-than-later carriers of Earth's torch.
Rani
Working in the rain forests of Congo, Africa, the scientists working to save the gorillas and the habitats at the same time.
Deb Luethy
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good information (and pictures!) on gorillas. I would have enjoyed more detail but as this is intended as a "children's book", it was probably "just right".
Kelsey Bates
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, raml
Not the most entertaining read but nice pictures.
DJ
Jun 06, 2013
Pamela Hershey
Dec 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I was very interested in books as a child. I still remember how hard I worked as a four-year-old at learning to write my name because my mother promised I could have a library card as soon as I could scrawl "PAMELA." When my parents made me turn my bedroom lights out at night, I would read by the tiny red light on the temperature control for my electric blanket. I grew up in Riverside--a rather ho ...more
More about Pamela S. Turner...