Start by marking “Telling Lies Online” as Want to Read:
Telling Lies Online

Telling Lies Online

When her dating app decides she's a man, what's a lonely lesbian to do?
Jamie Richards is a scientist who embraces reason-- except when it comes to romance. Tired of her impulsive streak leaving her heartbroken, she's determined to do everything right the next time she's in love. But her resolve crumbles when a technical glitch matches her with perfection in Claire, a woman
Published February 1st 2016 by Apple Blossom Press

To ask other readers questions about Telling Lies Online, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Lies Online

Start your review of Telling Lies Online
Kara
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Telling Lies Online” is, I think, the third book I’ve listened to that featured a straight woman being matched with a lesbian by a dating app. It also plays to the “fake relationship” plot line, but in this case the two women aren’t working together to deceive others.

In this book, the straight woman (MC Claire) isn’t initially shocked, because the lesbian (MC Jamie) decides to continue her online persona as Jay, allowing Claire to think that Jamie is Jay’s work colleague. Now, to co
Les Read
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, what fun this digital age is turning out to be: catfishing, internet-trolling, and Gwen Stefani finding out that her husband Gavin Rossdale is cheating on her with the nanny from an unsecured iCloud account. Oh, the woes! Childhood dreams shattered! As if dating isn't complicated enough, let's just add a fun little layer of technological confusion to the equation and see how it pans out!

This digital digital get-down (Nsync, anyone?) turns out to be the living nightmare of the pro
Fia
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Let's be honest. This was very unrealistic.

A "straight" girl decides to move across the States for a 'man' she'd never met and doesn't even know his last name. Never even heard his voice, doesn't have his number, nothing. Okay then.

Then the 'man', who is actually a woman pretending to be a man - are you still following? - sees her? on the street. Just like that. Coincidence. First one. Okay, it happens sometimes. I guess.

Then they became bff, move in together, because the 's
Heinerway
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: toaster-oven, friends
I don't feel comfortable reading about a relationship based on lies. Moreover, lies over lies over lies. Of course, in the case of a funny comedy of errors all this is not only acceptable but welcome. But unfortunately this story is not a comedy. A fun read? Yes. A comedy? No.
Tiff
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: friend-to-lover
Catfishing will get you nowhere but in a heap of trouble, even if it started off by accident. This book is centered on a computer glitch that leaves two women in precarious situation. This crazy novel is fun, and reminds us the truth will set you free.

Dr. Jamie “Jay” Richards is a climate scientist. While Jamie has had a rash of bad luck dating, she tends to always pick the Miss Wrong, but currently things are beginning to look up. She’s met someone amazing on an online dating site.
Arien
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I didn't particularly enjoy this one as most of the book is focused on sustaining the lie rather than romance.
Book Worm
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The book's cover and the title suggest a light-hearted comedic romance. At least this is what I expected and maybe craved when I picked this up. I was hoping for a Shakespearean mix up like in The Tempest. However, this is not what the book is about.
Initially, this is all about that: A misunderstanding created by a bug on a dating site - a seemingly straight woman, Claire, falls for a woman she thinks of as male and a lesbian, Jamie, who falls for the straight woman whom she believes to be
Marilyn
I liked the story. It was clever and fun, and I enjoyed the cast of characters. This is a feel-good book with quite a bit of angst. The narrator of the audiobook was outstanding.
Pippa D
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Normally I'd give this quality of writing a 3 or even 4 star review, but I struggled with the main concept of deceit by one of the main characters. I have to say, that killed the book for me.

I like the other books I've read of MacLeod's. They are fun romances with interesting ideas. She creates characters who have different jobs and are written like regular woman rather than superwomen. So if you've not ready any of MacLeod's books, try some of the others first.
Linda J
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun read - just don’t read too much into the optics.
angie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am not sure I can describe the uncomfortable and upset feelings this novel brings out in me, how much the "telling lies online" title (complete with cute cover) sugarcoats what really goes on within its pages. All I could think of as I was reading are those very, very dated, offensive and false stereotypes about lesbians "tricking" straight women into having relationships.

"Jay" excusing her deliberately deceiving people is rather nauseating and just too much to overlook in a main character th
Kitty McIntosh
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When trying internet dating Jamie and Claire get to know each other. The only problem is that Claire thinks Jamie is a man and lives nearby. A computer glitch caused the misunderstanding but Jamie is so smitten that she doesn't correct the mistake.
The story revolves around Jamie keeping up the pretence and Claire slowly falling in love with her. I really liked both characters and wanted it all to work out for them. Jamie didn't keep up the'lie' about the non-existent boyfriend, Jay, out of
Eline || Lovely Audiobooks
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a mini-review I wrote for a collection of Romance audiobooks with couples meeting online.

You know how people make themselves taller, sexier, smarter on dating sites? It’s so easy to pretend you’re the perfect partner, but an entirely different thing how you explain that away during a real first date. With no fault of her own (initially), lesbian Jamie falls in love online with a woman who thinks she’s talking to Jay, the man.

This story is absolutely adorable and I was wonde
Betty BoomBa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff-romance
First of all, I think the most overwhelming thought with this one is that it is all so unrealistic. people tell lies on line all of the time, but... So this is based on the idea that an intelligent "Straight" woman goes all out and moves to be with a "Man" they have never met?
And then the other intelligent woman tells more and more lies to keep on with this woman who is allegedly straight and is half in love with a man she has never met?
Lies, lies and more lies.

The shame
Kat
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jamie surely had a lesson of a lifetime for the rest of her life, and that is not to lie. There were several moments I seriously was screaming "WTF dude!" If you thought it cannot get any worse...well it did.
It is pretty damn good story. Mellow read, or as in this case Listening. Stephanie is great voice for the narration.
Amy
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I received a copy of this book from Inked Rainbow Reads in return for an honest review.
This is a story that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own. I'm not one for reading that story about the lies people enmesh themselves with, compounding their initial mistake with lie after lie until the whole thing topples down around them in the inevitable crash that it was all headed for from the beginning little lie. I myself am rather painfully honest, so sometimes reading about people gettin
Lunatic
I think the part that bothered me the most about this book is that the main characters are not likable. Claire is a self-denial person whom can't make up her mind nor know exactly what she truly wanted. Jamie is...well, a coward and a liar.
But don't get me wrong, the author intentionally made them that way, otherwise, we wouldn't have a storyline anymore. Their flaws are compensated in the end when they finally learned their mistakes and won't commit it again. Yet, the story is frustratingly un
Christine Close
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
hree Stars: f/f romance

I was sent this book by Inked Rainbow Reads in exchange for an honest review.

This book is well written and the author obviously a very competent writer. However I found the content full of lesbian stereotypical assumptions, even if they were written in an updated context. I also found the basis of the plot, personally, a little distasteful.

I felt from the outset that the outcome was very predictable and there were far to many coincidence
Nolly  Sepulveda
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and Quirky

I enjoyed reading about Jaime (Jay) and Claire and the crazy internet mix up that followed them throughout the story, though frustrated at times with Jamie's reasoning. Though Claire believed there was a sign for everything and Jaime disagreed, things couldn't have been more perfect. As secondary characters go, I think both Paul and Theresa were great. A really enjoyable and sometimes funny book.
Joc
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lesbian, bisexual
This was an okay read. The premise was promising and it would have worked for me if the initial error wasn't continuously compounded by deceit. There were some humorous bits and some very sweet moments but not enough to negate the secrets and lies. I know someone who has perpetrated this kind of deceit and someone else who has been on the receiving end and in both cases the results were heartbreaking so I don't think I am able to give an unbiased opinion.
Becky
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ff, read-in-2016
I wanted to like this more than I did. The premise seemed silly and fun, and I liked Jamie and Claire at first. But the lie went on way too long, and Claire was really frustrating in her insistence on a fantasy and her obliviousness to her own feelings. And the Jay thing went to really ridiculous lengths.
D Rasmussen
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

I laughed at the mess Jamie created, & was sad but understanding when Claire broke things off between them , then happy in the end they could overcome the trust issues the mess Jamie created, after she finally tells the Truth.

Heather Henkel
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting story

This was a nice story and a quick read. It was far more polished than I expected for a first book. I recommend it!
Leslie J Holbrook
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First time 5 stars

For being the first book by this author she did a fabulous job! I can't wait for more stories! Well done!
Chelsea
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun

This genre has very few lighthearted reads and I found this one an entertaining read from beginning to end. Look forward to more.
No Escape Like a Book
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exceptional storytelling. This was a wonderful book to read.
moxieBK
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Telling Lies Online — Miranda MacLeod (29 chapters) May 19-20, 2018

Note: This is a story of consenting female adults enjoying each others company in intimate ways. If this subject bothers you, read elsewhere.

This was just the book I needed after the last few books I have read. It was light-hearted, fun and romantic. But I started out reading it like watching a movie through my fingers. It wasn’t scary by any means, but it felt embarrassing. Here’s a woman who fell in love with a “straight” wom/>
Aoife Galateia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Minor spoilers ahead.)

Between all the books and short stories I've read the past few days, I must say that Telling Lies Online was the best one by a longshot.
The romance builds up slowly, but steadily, in a very comprehensible and relatable way. Claire, one of the main characters, felt like a reflection of myself and even though her behaviour could be seen as frustrating, I couldn't be mad at her for I had been in her shoes a long time ago. Jaime as well was written in a very
FionaH
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Difficult to rate. I found the two MCS super irritating and stupid. Jaime because she basically propagated a lie that she had many opportunities to sort out, and Claire because she was the stupid side of naive. To add to that, when she 'fessed up, Jaime basically refused to take any blame for her actions.

That said, the writing was good, and the plot kept me turning the page. It dragged on a little, but I still enjoyed the reading experience, despite my irritation with the characters.
Anne
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Can true love prevail?

How.hard would it be for an honest person to tell the truth?? The author dares to explore in this farce comedy of errors story containing all the cliche jokes told about lesbians as said through the main characters. A good first time story but not a great story. I read it because the cover portrayed a comical fun quick read, but it got a bit too twisted with too many turns for me to enjoy as a lighthearted read about two lesbians who each desire true love but must first we
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Road Ahead (Around the World, #1)
  • Once Upon a Princess
  • Casting Lacey
  • Pretend Girlfriend
  • Breaking Character
  • Playing the Spy
  • Bring Holly Home (Remember Me, #1)
  • Perfect Rhythm
  • Not the Marrying Kind
  • You're My Kind
  • Madeleine
  • Accidentally In Love
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Blend
Originally from southern California, Miranda now lives in New England and writes heartfelt romances and romantic comedies featuring witty and charmingly flawed women that you'll want to marry. Or just grab a coffee with, if that's more your thing. Before becoming a writer, she spent way too many years in graduate school, worked in professional theater and film, and held temp jobs in just about eve ...more