Start by marking “The Tomorrow Log” as Want to Read:
The Tomorrow Log

The Tomorrow Log (Liaden Universe)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Freelance thief Gem ser'Edreth makes the calculated mistake of turning down a commission from the local crime boss. Gem's hidden past proves an unexpected liability as his plans to leave the planet go catastrophically awry.
Published January 24th 2007 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Tomorrow Log, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomorrow Log

Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I've had this book in my TBR for such a long time and am kicking myself for taking so long to read it. This book was interesting, imaginative, and highly entertaining. I loved the idea of 'Witness' that travelled around with the artifact, the incredibly cool robots and gadgets, the concept of a 'colony ship' that has been wandering around for generations (and how whacked out its crew became), and the story of Gem himself. Lee and MIller always has so many creative ways to disting
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liaden-universe, 2018
2018 reread Not bad!
Paxnirvana
Mar 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: tried-to-read
Honestly, I've read far better fanfiction. And this is just as badly edited, proofed and structured as some of the worst fanfiction has to offer.

Was this an online book that went straight to print as-is? Scary. Scarier that I bought it.

The premise on the cover and the book itself seem a little um, conflicted too. Very odd experience reading it (or trying to). Didn't finish it. My leisure time is far too precious to me to spend most of it mentally untangling someone else's bad grammar and editing
Sandy
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Gem is a thief, sold and apprenticed as a young child to a master thief, the only person he can remember showing him kindness. Now a cousin arrives, Corbinye, who claims he is Captain of the Ship and must assume his rightful place. On planet, he is also stalked by Saxony Belaconto, who will use any means necessary to convince him to steal for her. Now he must decide where fate will lead him, what he will make of his life and how to save a ship, and an entire planet full of people.
Maddy Barone
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my favorite book by these authors, but I enjoyed it. I liked Gem, and I really liked Corbinye. The ending seemed abrupt. Is there a sequel to this? Is Gem still stuck with the Trident? Are he and Corbinye a romantic couple now? What happened to the Crew? Did they get away with the Big Ship? I would definitely like to know these things.
Nick
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was interesting, but felt much less well-developed than the Liaden books I've read so far. It may be because it was intended as the first book of a new series, but the sequel still hasn't come out, and it doesn't quite stand on its own. The "resolution" ends the book, but not the story. If the sequel ever comes out, I would certainly read that to see what happens next.
KJ
Aug 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I judged this book by its cover when I bought it at a store clearing out all of their books. I STILL really like the artist. I ended up giving this book away to a thrift store because it was taunting me from my shelf (QUITTER!) and I just couldn't stand the "old world" style writing that was used by ALL of the characters. It felt forced. I do think the story had potential -- for someone else.
Katy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interstellar
I came across the Tomorrow Log ($16 Meisha Merlin Publishing), by happy accident, seeing a Sharon Lee and Steve Miller book in one of my favorite second hand book stores made for a cherry on my used book sundae. I started reading it and was lost to love almost instantly. This is a book that deserves love - but I'm getting ahead of myself.

You find yourself following Gem ser'Edreth, a thief recently quit of all societal obligations. His master's recent passing made him his own, independent man. Wh
Roberta
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my "comfort" books. Actually, anything these authors have written fall into the category of "read-to--shreds." Whenever my life is particularly awful, I get them out and the combination of honor, dedication, heroism, and action transports me. It's truly magical; they never fail.
The other reviewers have covered rhe storyline well, so I won't bother with that, but if you are looking for books that will leave you exhilarated and elevate your mood, you can't do better than travel
Carla Johnson
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book leaves you wanting another, now!

Lee and Miller have created a whole new universe (is that a big enough definition?) for us to explore with wonderful, unique characters in residence. These authors are blessed with vivid imaginations knowing no boundaries. Great fun to read - never boring.
Gary Mattox
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over all good read

It took sometime to know if I like it or not. But having competed it have decided that I do really did enjoyed it. Looks like it maybe be a new series. So that's is great. Like the author. A lot... The
Morgan Pugh
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gem ser'Edreth, a wizard with electronics and a freelance thief. Deliberately solitary, unencumbered by family or friends, he immerses himself in his profession, rising to a pinnacle of skill so exalted that the planetary crime boss seeks him out with a commission to steal. Refusing the commission, of course, is his first mistake.

Gem's hidden past proves an unexpected liability and his plans to leave the planet go catastrophically awry. Suddenly embroiled in interplanetary politics, a potential
Corrie
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
I noticed there are 2 types of reviews of this book (they go something like this): "Such rich language, great characters! I love the way they talk. Yay!" or, "Interesting story, but old-fashioned dialogue, completely distracting and over the top."
Me? I love, love, love the way that Sharon Lee and Steve Miller capture richly imagined societies with rich and nuanced language. Their Liaden novels still hold my special favor, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book, particularly the bat-crazy but not ir
G F
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who enjoys sci-fi
Recommended to G by: no one found it myself
There was enough detail to explain the action but not so much that I was buried in it. I also enjoy the conversational and descriptive styles. These are similar to the "Tree and Dragon" stories. The main character is living as a thief and pretty successfully, until the local crime boss wants to hire him and he refuses the job. Then long lost relatives come calling, but he has no interest in renewing the connection. From then on he is tangled up in others issues and has to find solutions to suit ...more
WillowBe
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is more Sci-Fi, than "ish" or Romance though the hero got the heroine int he end. I didn't think they could tie it up, but they managed. The style of speech of the characters and the narrator was somewhat off-putting. Really. But the story was good enough to overlook it. Unexpected harsh violence, for sure- I wasn't expecting torture in several differnt forms, or a charactger being beaten to near-death. Or the callousness regarding life. But i guess it reflects the frontier/medeival mentali ...more
CatBookMom
Read this almost in one gulp, stayed up way too late. While this is set in the same universe as the Liaden stories, this is not about any of the Liadens. Instead, it's set with the Juntava a major player; I recently read a review/blog that suggested thinking "Mafia" when you read "Juntava". That really helps. I loved Gem, was shocked at the awful things that happened to Corbinye, and was fascinated by the high-tech spiders.

I'd love a sequel.

Recommended.
Karen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this about 10 years ago, and it's time to read it again. It's not set in the Liad universe, but I remember it as being good. Rating to come....

Finished it over the weekend, and it was good, but not LIAD GOOD. There was a sequel written, but never published, unfortunately. The story ends on a "to be continued...." note, so it was disappointing not to be able to finish the story line.
Julie Davis
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this one and was interested to see the authors writing about something besides their Liaden universe. Alas, this is the only book in this different setting. They went back to Liaden, which I just don't care about any more.
Becca
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Gem, a freelance thief, refuses a commission from the local crime boss and plunges into a confusing and dangerous situation involving a generation ship, a legend, an ancient artifact, and the threat of war. Not a Liaden universe novel...
Rich
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
I really liked this book, and it was part of my very belated discovery of Sharon Lee a few years back. The publisher never backed up the authors on printing the sequel, so I was pretty much left hanging at the end. Still, some Sharon Lee is better than none at all.
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've always been fasinated by the idea of generation ships. In this story we get to see what they might really be like. A great SF/romance/adventure.
Stacey
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending clearly sets up for a sequel - which apparently hasn't been published yet... Aside from that, I really enjoyed this novel.
Val Booklover
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not really part of Korval Clan arc...and only tangentially related to Liaden...
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 added it
Richard
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Stilted dialogue, incomplete story, not very well crafted.
Christine
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great non-Liaden story from the same authors; they realy know how to write a god story
Elaine
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Wow. I couldn't put the book down. Sorry that it is over. What do they get up to next?
Lychee
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyable non-Liaden volume. Fun to seek out various parallels with Liaden books -- primarily piloting references. Would read more located in this universe.
Rita C
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope they put out a sequel. I want to read more about these characters. Really good book. :)
Debby Kean
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-good-reads, sf
Pretty disappointing! Born out of a worldview that's simply incomprehensible to me, militaristic nonsense.
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • The Stars Blue Yonder (The Outback Stars #3)
  • Fires of Nuala
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Captive Universe
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she
More about Sharon Lee

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)