Start by marking “Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)

Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,606 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Assistant Trader Jethri Gobelyn was an honest, hardworking young man who knew a lot about living onboard his family's space-going trade ship; something about trade, finance, and risk-taking; and a little bit about Liadens. It was, oddly enough, the little bit he knew about Liadens that seemed like it might be enough to make his family's fortune, and his own, too. In short ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by Ace (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Balance of Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance of Trade

Kathleen
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this space opera in Kindle format (some typos) in a collection titled The Crystal Variation, containing the first three stories in the series, not by publication order, but chronologically: Crystal Soldier , Crystal Dragon, and Balance of Trade. Of the three, Balance of Trade is the least confusing (thus the most enjoyable) on the first read. It is also the least contingent on the two prequels. It stands alone nicely. Not much background knowledge is needed, since BoT is not set on Liad, ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Re-Read, August 2013

4/5; 4 stars; A-

I enjoyed this book much more the second time through and am really glad that Lee and MIller have written a sequel. I am hoping that some of my favorite characters, such as Miandra, Norn ven' Deelin, scout ter'Astin and Tan Sim will be in the next book, along with Jethri. My only complaint about this book is the ending. There were some pretty significant facts revealed in the last few pages. I had the sense of a racing train screeching to a stop. (view spoiler
Leslie
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This entry in the Liaden series takes place earlier than the other books I have read. I enjoyed young Jethri Gobelyn and look forward to discovering some of the mystery that surrounds his background in futher books!
Kerry
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 9, ebooks, reread, sf, 2005, 10
ORIGINAL READ: 10/10 (5 May 2005 - 10 May 2005)

Jethri Goeblyn is a very junior, and somewhat unwanted, apprentice on the Terran trading ship, Gobelyn's Market. While stopped on a Liaden world, Liaden ways being very different from Terran ways, he finds himself embroiled in Liaden politics and a possible trade scam. He is even more surprised at the end of the matter, to find himself apprenticed to Liaden Master Trader Norn ven'Deelin.

Thus begins Jethri's apprenticeship not only in Trade, but als
Charlie Moses
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked it. Again, in fact, as I've read it several times. It's clever, goes a number of really interesting places, has a bunch of interesting people, and has an over-riding purpose to fulfill. Excellent fiction of the sf-space opera variety. And why am I reading so many books by Lee and Miller, you ask? It would be because someone else decided to read all of the Liaden Universe works - novels and short stories, in chronological order, one chapter per day, with commentary on each. ...more
WillowBe
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I personally think it's weird to have all these scifi books about trading- Elizabeth Moon, Charles Stross- very ironic, there is another. Or they're strictly martial- Laura Reeve, Cherryh is a mix of the two, I guess. Or more of a sociological/global take. Anyway, I liked this very much, esp the language! The Liaden way of conversing is a character in itself. And It's pretty obviously Eastern ways vs Western ways. Also great tension with the sub-stories- can't wait to read the sequels.
Debrac2014
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with good characters! I had originally skipped over this book because Korval wasn't involved but I'm so glad I finally read it. I enjoyed reading about the old tech and how Jethri came into being!
Lis Carey
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, f-sf, fiction
It's some centuries after Cantra yos'Phelium and Tor An yos'Galen lead the great migration from humanity's previous home universe. Jethri Gobelyn is a young trader, living and working on his family's ship, Gobelyn's Market. He knows a little bit about all the different areas he needs to know as a trader, and is learning more--including about the Liadens. He's even learning the Liaden language

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. His knowledge of Liadens is just enough to get him in a major ta
Lara
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle, sci-fi
A little slow to start, with the introduction of new people, in a new time. But once the exposition was out of the way, this novel picked up the pace and delivered another great installment. Set between the original books and their prequel, and written from the perspective of a Terran 'outsider' this story fills in more details of Liaden society. Interestingly it was written before the prequels; having read it afterwards it slots neatly in between them, describing how society has changed since t ...more
Red
I am enjoying the Liaden series of books so much. I'm actually almost angry when I finished this one that there wasn't more to the story. And, I can see by the universe timeline that I won't be seeing these characters again. (edit: a sequel is coming out in 2013) Phooey! I really, really like Jethri and the twins. I'm going to be grumbly until I get well started with the next story. (I'm thrilled that there are many stories left to read!)

On the reread, I was just as smitten with the story. I do
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story, filled with great characters, who are full of honor, and cultured. 4/18/16 re-read: I stayed up till 6:30am re-reading it, these books are that good! 2018 re-read: Spending time in the Liaden universe is like visiting with old, dear, friends.
Mary Soon Lee
This is the tenth novel that I've read set in the authors' Liaden Universe, and the first of what I believe to be a duology of books centered on Jethri Gobelyn. I found both young Jethri and the book thoroughly agreeable. As with most of the Liaden Universe books that I've read, the story is easy reading, the characters well-drawn, the tone light. This book had an underlying warmth that made me feel welcome in the company of its characters. In this it reminded me particularly of another Liaden U ...more
Audrey
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my second time through this book. I first read it quite a few years ago. In the meanwhile, I have read all the other Liaden Universe books that have been published (except Neogenesis, which is in the pile waiting to be read). The first time around, I am sure I didn't understand a lot of what was happening. I definitely understood and enjoyed more this time.
Karla Thomas
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Liaden book I read, and it made me want to go out and find all the other books and not stop reading till I'd finished them. I didn't do that, but I did eventually start to collect them and read them in the order that they were published, and now, coming back to this one in it's proper place, I've upped my rating by one star, because everything makes SO much more sense when you have the background. All the talk about the Old Tech (which I now realize are remnants of Sheriekas t ...more
Kate
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, library
While this was still a fun read, it also began to be a little tiring that the Liadens are so Cultured and Civilized when compared to the Terrans. (Especially because I think I'd rather be a Terran. They may be less cultured and less subtle, but they can marry whoever they like.)
Nancy Messina
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but I felt like it just ended. There were so many plot pieces that felt unfinished. I am very glad that it looks like there is another book that follows Jethri or I would be pretty darn sad.
Teresa Dowd
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: culture clash and coming of age
Shelves: comfort-reads
One of my favorite Liad Universe books and a good entry point for the series because we learn about the Liaden as our hero does. I also like the trade centered stories more than intrigue which get off-putting once they reach a certain density.
Karen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good
Roger
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved just about everything with this book!
Jeanie T
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is one of the best I've ever read. Cultural misunderstanding doesn't usually drive plot, but this is masterful. Stands alone.
Patricia Litz
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
One book at a time. The next one on request. Hard to put it down.
Barbra
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Great coming of age space opera set in the early space trading days of the Liaden Universe. This book takes place a long time after Crystal Dragon which help explain the beginnings of Liad.
JPT
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kathy Martin
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BALANCE OF TRADE is an excellent coming of age story set in a richly detailed alien world. Jethri Gobelyn is the son of a trading family and is being taught to become a trader himself. His mother is the ship's captain and his father, deceased for ten years, was the ship's master trader. Jethri's relationship with his mother is poor as she seems to blame him for the loss of her husband. She wants to sell him off her ship to another trading family.

Jethri has come into contact with a Liaden Master
Katharine Kimbriel
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of literate, character-driven adventure SF, coming of age SF, space adventure/opera fans
As I recall, Balance of Trade won the Hal Clement Award for Young Adults for Excellence in Children's Science Fiction Literature—but don’t let its YA/teen origins keep you from reading the book. It’s not only an excellent coming of age story, it’s also one of the back door entries into the Liaden Universe®.

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller’s rousing, sometimes intricate romantic space adventures span centuries and many characters. Balance of Trade is a nice, clean explanation of why you’ll want to r
Joe Martin
Young Jethri Gobelyn is a crew member on Gobelyn’s Market, a Terran trade ship. It’s a family owned ship. His mother is the captain, his uncle is the Trader. He’s 17 years old and studying to be a Trader himself. He was born on Gobelyn’s Market and he’s lived there his entire life, with his family. But all of that’s about to change.

Jethri was relaxing in a dockside bar, after successfully completing a Trade deal and earning a good bit of profit for the ship. He was approached by another Trader a
Julia
Re-read in July 2013 since a sequel is coming out later this year with an eARC possibly this month.
Changed rating from four to five stars.

After Local Custom this is the best book for introducing Liaden society through the eyes of a Terran. Jethri Gobelyn, member of a Terran family of traders, becomes apprenticed to Liaden Master Trader Norn ven'Deelin.
The main focus of the story is Jethri's evolution from the youngest member of a ship's crew to a young gentleman and recognized trader. This was o
Ron
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf
When I added this to my list of book I thought I'd read it and didn't think it was that good. But this weekend, looking for something to read I grabbed it by accident and read it "again". Only it wasn't again it was for the first time.

It was a pretty good book. At least average for the Liaden books of Miller and Lee, which are some of my favorite books of all time, so that makes it better than most book.

If you are new to the Liadian books I wouldn't say read this first. The core novels are the b
Shane
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Almost 4 stars. The series is starting to make a bit more sense, and the ending of this book started to come together well. Interested in continuing it....
Teresan
Though I love all the Liaden Universe novels and short stories, this is the one I chose to take with me to Mongolia. Not because it can act as a standalone novel(until the sequel is published sometime in late 2013), though it is a nice side-benefit. It is because I feel a special kinship with Jethri, fascinated by the wide world(s) out there, humbled by learning a new language and new customs, and continually hopeful that through time and sincere effort new and strong relationships can be built ...more
Space Opera Fans : Feb 2018 YA Balance of Trade by Lee & Miller 14 35 Feb 20, 2018 04:52AM
  • Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • DarkShip Thieves (Darkship, #1)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she
More about Sharon Lee

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)