Start by marking “Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon” as Want to Read:
Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon

Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon #1-3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  2,944 Ratings  ·  360 Reviews
My Father's Dragon, Elmer And The Dragon, The Dragons Of Blueland
Also includes an introduction by the author.
Published 1998 by Random House (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon, please sign up.

Roxanne It depends on the child. My daughter is three and loved having this read aloud to her, but she's a big book lover. I would think up to an eight or ten…moreIt depends on the child. My daughter is three and loved having this read aloud to her, but she's a big book lover. I would think up to an eight or ten year old would enjoy this, depending on the kid. (less)

Tanya D
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I've been reading chapter books to my seven year old, with my four year old kinda listening and mostly jumping on us. We all liked these three tales about Elmer and Boris the dragon. I liked that the chapters are short, good for bedtime and reading aloud. It had fun illustrations every couple page to keep my four-year old interested too. I loved that the story was fun and exciting while at the same time being so simple and innocent. So many "children" books have sad and terrible things happening ...more
Cheryl
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
As the author states in her introduction, the first story was written for amusement, and practically wrote itself. The second two were more difficult. And in my opinion it shows... they just aren't as lively & enchanting. But then, I've never been a huge fan of the first, so what do I know.... Judge for yourself. Very quick read.
Claudia Badiu
O poveste construită din trei povești, despre prietenie, ajutor, colaborare și bunătate. O poveste în care se conturează "imagini" inedite cu animale din junglă care ronțăie dulciuri sau cu dragoni colorați în cele mai ciudate combinații posibile. Mi-a plăcut imaginația și neobișnuitele întâmplări, însă nu am înțeles de ce e vorba de dragonul "tatălui" și de ce autoarea nu oferă unele explicații referitoare la acest lucru. De asemenea au fost unele detalii care, în opinia mea, îi iau puțin din s ...more
Razvan Zamfirescu
In categoria sa, cartea isi merita, cu siguranta, calificativul de "clasica". Doar ca ar trebui sa fiti cu bagare de seama pentru ca daca obisnuiti sa cititi cu placere, pe langa fictiunea si non-fictiunea de zi cu zi, si carti gen Mary Poppins sau Roald Dahl, asa cum fac eu, acest titlu s-ar putea sa nu va aduca o placere la fel de mare, de vreme ce cartea are un public mult mai tanar. Daca veti reusi sa o priviti prin ochii unui copil de 5-6 ani, sunt convins ca o veti aprecia, dar eu nu am re ...more
Liz
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wee-lads
I typically reserve five stars for great works of literature, but reading this book aloud to my four-year-old was an experience I'd like to never forget. To him, at his age, it absolutely is an amazing piece of literature.

He would have sat through an entire book if I'd let him. Reading just three chapters at a time was hardly a fast enough pace for him. And I was shocked by his comprehension. Even at the end of the first story, he could recall all ten chapters in great detail. He studied the si
Amy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
All three books in the series. I read them to my daughter. She loved them. Its an adventure series (short chapter books) perfect for early readers or for ages 3+ as a parent-read-aloud book. My Father's Dragon was my favorite of the three.
Becky
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading My Father's Dragon (1948), Elmer And the Dragon (1950), and The Dragons of Blueland (1951), all by Ruth Stiles Gannett. (My Father's Dragon was a Newbery Honor book for 1949.) I'd read My Father's Dragon before many years ago--long before I started blogging--but this was my first opportunity, I believe, to read the two sequels.

I loved the way My Father's Dragon opens:
One cold rainy day when my father was a little boy, he met an old alley cat on his street. The cat was ve
kingshearte
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
My Father's Dragon and its two sequels are books that Da read to us when we were little, and they're very cute. I'd actually kind of forgotten about them until I started working with books and saw them again. Then I spotted an edition of all three books in one hardcover volume at a used book sale, and snapped it up. I don't have a blurb for it because it didn't have its dust jacket at that time, but suffice it to say that it's about a boy named Elmer who has adventures with a baby dragon named B ...more
Krista
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old son got this for Christmas this year and loved it. I've lost count of the number of times we have read through it. This volume is a compilation of three books that all center on the relationship between a boy (sometimes called "My Father" and sometimes "Elmer") and a dragon (Boris) that he rescues from some mean, wild animals. It has all the elements of a great adventure- planning, travel, secrecy, danger, friendship, and a safe return home- that a little boy wants. This is one of ...more
Nancy
This was a lovely book. My Vintage Book Circle group all loved it. We liked the dragons a lot. I remember being so amazed at how prepared he was. He had just the right thing for every circumstance! One person said this was the book that made her become a librarian. We all thought that it would capture the imagination of children today despite the fact that it was written in 1948. Excellent first chapter book for third graders, I would think.
Anjali Williams
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I missed this series as a child but read them aloud to both my kids. They are perfect early chapter books for younger children, because there are whimsical illustrations on nearly every page, kind and resourceful characters, and nothing too scary. Sienna liked that Elmer would risk his life to make a baby dragon happy. But she didn't like the "sad" parts (that, for example, the dragon needs to be rescued), which made her rate it a 3, instead of 4.
Sherri
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great chapter book to read aloud to young children about a young boy and his baby dragon friend. I think the age window for reading this book to kids is pretty short (3-10). I read it to my eight year-old and 11 year-old. The eight year-old was completely enthralled; the 11 year-old liked it, but was bored at times. Also, it's a little dated.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents looking for a good read aloud
All three of the My Father's Dragon books in one volume. They really are all just one big story, so this makes perfect sense. The only drawback is that you lose the cover art for the first two books.
A perfect read aloud for kids ages 4-8, especially those not ready for Harry Potter.
Michelle
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
My children love this as a bedtime story. We read a few chapters each night, but they're begging for more. The simple, black and white illustrations are engaging. This is one we read again and again!
Renee Priddis
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. I read this to my kids. They enjoyed it and so did I...a children's beginner chapter book that kept everyone's attention! Success!
Bethany
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I read the first story in this book years ago, but I can't remember anything about them other than a vaguely pleasant sentiment. This time, I read it aloud to my 4-year old. I don't like to push things on her, I want reading to be fun and all that, so I read it to her on nights she asked for it, which she did more often than not, but definitely not every night, so it took us a while to get through all three stories. But still, she liked it, remembered what was happening for the most part, and sh ...more
Sheri S.
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed each of these imaginative tales about a boy and a baby dragon. Gannett does an excellent job of painting a picture in one's imagination of a brilliantly colored baby dragon who is off on some kind of an adventure. He's accompanied by the boy, Elmer Elevator, who assists the dragon in any way he can. I found the names given to the various animals in the first tale to be particularly amusing. Overall, I would say this is a great book for kids and fun for adults to listen to as wel ...more
Grace
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I read this aloud to my four-year-old. He liked looking at the pictures while I read, but I don't think he was very engaged in the story at all. I think it's a good starting point for a read-aloud chapter book with your little one, but it's not overly interesting throughout. Cute stories-don't get me wrong, with fun and silly things that happen, but I wasn't overly impressed. I understand that it's a classic children's book and I'm glad we read it together.
Elena Halvorsen
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read aloud

When I taught second grade I did a whole unit with My Fathers Dragon and the students loved it. This summer I got to read it to my own daughter who is going into second grade and she was enthralled. Such a sweet and imaginative trilogy to read aloud to children.
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was very cute! We had been looking for chapter books to read out loud to a preschooler, and this was definitely a winner. He loved the stories, and now he even likes to eat tangerines...because Elmer Elevator eats tangerines.
Kate
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it to my four-year-old daughter. She loved it! It's imaginative but simple enough for her to follow. It has some suspense but no violence, and she loved the adventure. There were simple black and white illustrations every other page or so. Great for transitioning to chapter books.
Nathan Friedly
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nathan *LOVED* this set of stories - we read a chapter or two before bed and then finished the last three chapters tonight after dinner.
Molly
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My four year old loved these stories
Nancy Prater
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute.... my kids loved it! Its written in a very comical way---makes a great read-aloud.
Lauren
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
Perfect to read with G
Engel Dreizehn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2017
Still just as timeless and enjoyable as I first enjoyed as a youngling...and in elementary school.
Adrienne
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son is 5 years old and we read this book on a continually basis. I've probably read it aloud 50 times and I'm not joking. No matter what else we read, he likes to read it every night.
Kelly Scheib
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My children love listening to this audio book in the car and at bedtime! It doesn't have any children being disrespectful or using inappropriate language(stupid, omg, etc) so I feel super comfortable letting my impressionable kids listen to it over and over. It is creative and imaginative and involves the reader in funny and exciting ways to solve problems.
Alana
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
I read this aloud to my two boys, ages 7 and 5, and they didn't want me to stop reading. I, however, liked the first tale, My Father's Dragon, the best and could take or leave the other two.
Jon
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book with the kiddo. I found it a really interesting story for kids his age. The allowance that Dragons still roam some part of the world, while kids imaginations run amuck made it a good read.
  • The Water Horse
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • The Storm
  • Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face: And Other Poems: Some of the Best of Jack Prelutsky
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • Mercy Watson: #1-2 [Collection Volume I]
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
  • Wolf Story
  • In the Town All Year 'Round
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky (New York Review Children's Collection)
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...

My Father's Dragon (3 books)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)