Start by marking “What The Flower Says of Death” as Want to Read:

What The Flower Says of Death

Violet Holt has already met Death once.

After a failed suicide attempt, she finds herself dumped by her callous mother on the doorstep of her family’s desolate oceanside estate. With only the company of her estranged grandmother, comatose grandfather, and the monsters in her head, at least there was no one to interfere with her plans to try again on her eighteenth birthda
Published September 25th 2018 by Danielle Koste

To ask other readers questions about What The Flower Says of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What The Flower Says of Death

Start your review of What The Flower Says of Death
Sentranced Jem
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
PSX_20180907_151635

Title: What The Flower Says Of Death
Author: Danielle Koste

This book was slightly nerve wracking to read. Right after the death of my grandfather, this book didn't seem like the best decision but there was something irresistible about the book.

Having read Danielle Koste's previous book Pulse (Review)before, which FYI left me slightly shocked hahaha, I was looking forward to reading this book. I can now say that this book, What The Flower Says Of Death is beautiful.

Now, I understand that some peop

Sophie Elaina
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What The Flower Says of Death delves into themes of love and loss in an absolutely magical way. The author was able to pack a punch and create a heartbreakingly real read while also being caring and considerate about the subjects she was broaching. The pacing was slow but I was never bored and I think it was because the book followed such a deeply emotional rooted plot.

It is a very character focussed story, so if that's something you don't enjoy you might not love this, but I honestly can't ima
Liz
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m done! I will now forever and perpetually read only this one book and nothing else. OK, I am being dramatic but just prepare yourself for another round of Liz does crazy in love with a book! There was lots and lots of crying in my soul and through my eyes.

!TW!: Theme of suicide, death, depression… If these are your triggers, then take care because you will witness death, there’s no two ways about it.

I was playing a dangerous game with my dark thoughts, my dangerous lover.

There are books t
Matilda Chapman
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will be writing a review for this shortly but still need time to gather my thoughts. Should be up tomorrow!
Alexandra
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Violet is sent away by her mother to her grandparents' estate after her failed suicide attempt. With her grandfather sick and he relationship with both her mother and grandmother estranged, Violet feels that everything is hopeless...until Jack.

Mysterious Jack who mostly prefers to stalk her and seems to know more about her than Violet thinks. And while she thinks more an
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm sobbing so hard right now! I knew it would end this way, but I wish it hadn't 😭
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arcs, favorites
Mental health, family drama and suicide were the strong themes in this book. Violet survived after a failed suicide attempt but still wants to try again and do it right this time. She created a bucket list and once everything's ticked off, she'll make another attempt to end her life.

While she's recovering at her grandmother's house, she met a mysterious boy named Jack. They slowly became friends and later became lovers. But she knew that there was something different about Jack and she does her
Jack Stark
I wrote a much longer and in depth review of this on my blog - Random Melon Reads!
I received a copy of this from the author, Danielle Koste. My thanks to the Danielle for this opportunity. These are my honest thoughts of the book.

This is a wonderful story that explores themes of love, loss, and forgiveness. It has an excellent mental health rep focussed on depression, anxiety and suicide. The main characters are very real and relatable. I fell in love with Jack, and I think most people will. The
Shannon Rohrer
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

I first had the privilege of reading "What the Flower Says of Death" a few years ago via Wattpad. Since then, I've been eagerly awaiting the day that Miss Koste would release it into the publishing world.

Having the opportunity to read this book again after all this time was like revisiting old friends; that's how much of a mark Violet and Jack left on me. Though I didn't remember everything, I found a lot of things coming back to me as I read, and I had the joy of experiencing those re
Shirley Cuypers
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-beta, ebooks, 2018
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Danielle Koste!

What The Flower Says of Death
tells the story of Violet attempted suicide, but failed to do so. She’s struggling with her inner darkness and is being sent to her grandmother so her mother doesn’t need to deal with her anymore. Violet is still planning her next suicide in her journal, but then a boy called Jack is trying to change her mind. Will he be able to get rid of Violet’s darkness
Maile
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book hit home. Seriously. I think many people can relate to Violet and her hardships with depression, anxiety and family. It got kinda intense at times, and I cried. A lot. This is certainly a sobering book with all of the real world problems. The characters I liked. Violet's mother reminds me a lot of my dad in which he suffocates me, and hardly ever listens, so I related to her in that case. And her grandmother. Wow. She I love. She is so strong and she deals with things without taking ha ...more
The Book and Beauty Blog
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*This book was sent to me for review purposes by the author. All thoughts are my own.

I went into What the Flower Says of Death totally blind to this author’s writing style. This can be a dangerous or wonderful thing. There’s always the risk of hating the story or how the author writes but thankfully, that was not the case here. I am in love with What the Flower Says of Death.

I read this book in one day and had tears dripping down my face for the majority of it; I mean that in the best possible w
K.A. Wiggins
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
An unusual, emotional novel that wasn't quite for me but will probably connect better with those who can relate better to the characters. There are complicated family relationships a la Gilmour Girls, a challenging end-of-life situation with a grandparent, a strong suicidal ideation plot (trigger warning) with (spoiler) healing and subsequent re-engagement in life, and a paranormal love interest. The main character is a teen, but the tone or viewpoint does put a bit of distance into the narratio ...more
Jonathan Carter
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a copy from Danielle Koste for an honest review. This doesn't affect my criticism of the book in any way. Everything I say are mine and mine alone.

You'd think that suicide plot-lines are too cliché already, but this book gave it a very special twist. Although it is extremely predictable – and let me tell you that what I predicted was on-point – I still love the book.

Character wise, they all have a very distinct aspect to them that gave them so much life. Especially Violet
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked it, the storytelling and the way it was written, really sucks you in from the very first page. All the relationships, between Violet and her grandmother, Violet and her mother, just felt so real.

It did feel a little predictable in some places, I figured the twist pretty early on. But the Author wasn’t trying to hide it, hints were left here and there. Neither of those things took away from the story though.

(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the Author. Does not affect my rev
Thingsinherhead
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually thought that this is just an ordinary story but I'm wrong! The concept was so greatly thought about. I haven't read something like this before and this is not just some comment that I copied anywhere but it is seriously what I want to say.

Read my full review here -> https://ayammazing.wordpress.com/2018...
Betsy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of my favorite books (top 5) it's so different than others I have read and it was hard not to love the characters.

Semi spoiler so dont read ahead if you dont want that

The ending...I normally hate sad endings but it couldnt end any other way so I still cant say enough about how much I loved this
Eva Svärd
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very good and sad at the same time. It makes you think a lot of life and people around you. In a good way!
Meggan Turner
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'M CRYING.

FULL REVIEW UP SOON!
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a gorgeous, beautiful, emotional read.
REVIEW:
This review was originally posted on That Book Gal.
I had to really push to read this one at first. It opens right after Violet almost dies by suicide. Thus that drives the story, and she’s still grappling with the darkness and planning another attempt. It is very dark in the beginning.
However, while this book is very dark at times, it’s filled with so much light and hope. It’s honestly jaw droppingly stunning, in the way it’s written, the st
Kim Williams
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What the Flower Says of Death doesn’t tug at your heartstrings. It forever binds them to Violet as she faces death in more ways than one. The author, Danielle Koste, masterfully intertwines pain, death, and forgiveness with hope, acceptance, and love. Violet must learn to let go of those she loves in order to really live. Past resentment and pain shackle her to an evolving plan to commit suicide on her eighteenth birthday. The breadth of letting go, overcoming family secrets, and accepting the i ...more
Stephanie Augustine
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

See full review here:https://wordpress.com/posts/booksinth...

Overall, What the Flower Says of Death by Danielle Koste is a beautiful, emotional, whirlwind story. While this book touches a very difficult topic, the writing and the story are truly exquisite. Even though this might not touch people in the same way, it can be related to everyone. The characters are engaging and are genuinely made for each other. I would like to
Alyssa
Jan 08, 2017
Zora Parker
Feb 09, 2020
Mah Marino | Happy Reading Co.
Sep 08, 2018
Faida orrie
Nov 06, 2019
Gretchen Vega
Sep 25, 2018

• House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Lovely War
  • Embracing the Outcast (Crowns Legacy #2)
  • Reviving the Commander (Crowns Legacy #1)
  • Eubeltic Descent
  • Little Dead Red
  • Tales of Suspense: Hawkeye & the Winter Soldier
  • The King (A Wicked Trilogy #3.6)
  • Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Towering
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
  • Bring Me Home
  • The Seventh Princess
Danielle Koste is a born and raised Canadian, but currently lives with her significant other in the equally snowy and cold Stockholm, Sweden. While working a day job and learning the language of the locals, she spends her free time honing the craft she's always had a passion for.

When procrastinating, Danielle likes to enjoy other forms of rich story-telling, besides the obvious abundance of novels