Jump to ratings and reviews

Creative HeArts #2

How Willa Got Her Groove Back

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains an unbelievably hot bad boy, an unbelievably famous actress, and all the drama that comes with adding both to your family. Oh, and a forbidden flirtation with a soon-to-be stepbrother.

When Willa Schofer’s father comes home from a business trip with an über-famous new fiancée, Willa’s senior year blows up in paparazzi-fueled flames. Overnight, she has a new house, a new car, and a new soon-to-be stepbrother—the unbelievably hot, unbelievably arrogant, Finn McCain. Thank god he’s constantly pushing her buttons, or she might do something irresponsible. Like fall for the jerk.

Just when Willa’s decided to avoid him for, oh, ever, Finn lands in the center of her senior project team. Seriously—how hard is it to shake a guy? At least her work on the project snagged the attention of the (second) hottest guy in school. He might only be into her because of her famous stepmom, and he’s not quite as exciting as a certain annoying housemate, but at least she’s allowed to crush on the guy.

Because crushing on your annoying stepbrother? So not cool.

Willa and Finn Book 2 coming November 14, 2016

Paperback

First published February 22, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Emily McKay

161 books619 followers
I write the kinds of books I want to read. Fast-paced books with lots of world-building, snarky heroines, and swoony heroes. I love story, pop culture, gossip, and baked goods. I’m a modern-day hippy and certified LEGO nerd.

I live in the Austin, Texas hill country, with my geeky husband and two extremely geeky kids. We have dogs, chickens, cats, and more LEGOs than should be allowed by law. Oh, and I stress bake. So if my characters talk about food a lot, that’s why.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
29 (7%)
1 star
6 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 91 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
February 23, 2016
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“Your life is different now,” he said. “Forever.”

This was an okay story about a girl whose father get engaged to a movie star.

I could see why Willa was so bent out of shape in this book, as it did seem like her father was rushing into this new marriage, and even letting his own beliefs shift a bit to compensate for the new woman in his life. I think she could have maybe sat down with him and talked to him though, and even maybe given the new wife a chance.

The storyline in this was mainly Willa moaning about the new wife, and there wasn’t much romance at all which was a real shame. I felt like this possible attraction between Willa and Finn could have been explored a lot more, and instead absolutely nothing happened on the romance front at all.

The ending to this was quite surprising because I didn’t realise that we wouldn’t get an end to the story, and that the story would continue on in another book. I really hope that the sequel has some romance in it though!

6 out of 10
Profile Image for Norah Una Sumner.
845 reviews446 followers
April 14, 2016
description

"When your life feels like a bad movie, rewrite the script.

When Willa Schofer’s father comes home from a business trip with an über-famous new fiancée, Willa’s senior year blows up in paparazzi-fueled flames. Overnight, she has a new house, a new car, and a new soon-to-be stepbrother–the unbelievably hot, unbelievably arrogant, Finn McCain. Thank god he’s constantly pushing her buttons, or she might do something irresponsible. Like fall for the jerk.

Just when Willa’s decided to avoid him for, oh, ever, Finn lands in the center of her senior project team. Seriously–how hard is it to shake a guy? At least her work on the project snagged the attention of the (second) hottest guy in school. He might only be into her because of her famous stepmom, and he’s not quite as exciting as a certain annoying housemate, but at least she’s allowed to crush on the guy.

Because crushing on your annoying stepbrother? So not cool."

You can get this book on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, Kobo.

MY REVIEW:

Here’s the deal: I love Entangled Crush books. I LOVE THEM. And, thankfully, this one did not disappoint! I’ve read “How Willa Got Her Groove Back” in one sitting. Yes, that’s how much I enjoyed it. I absolutely loved Willa and I found all of her actions and emotions to be completely reasonable – how on Earth would you react if you found out that your father is marrying one of the most successful actresses in the world? And that you’re getting a step-brother, moving from the house you grew up in, learning how to deal with paparazzi that are always lurking in the shadows? Even though she isn’t the most supporting fan of her father’s upcoming marriage she tries to accept these huge changes in her life because she loves her father unconditionally. Isn’t that what we all do for our parents? And, well, maybe her step-brother aka her nemesis isn’t that bad. I loved Finn as well, he’s such an amazing and strong character who went through a lot but is still fighting. Of course, I want Willa to realize this too because they would be so amazing together – I hope that my wish will be fulfilled in the sequel.

description

I really liked the supporting characters and TRU AND SLOANE also make an appearance! Yes,yes,yes I want them all to be buddies! And I really hope that Willa will realize which guy is actually worth fighting for. Maybe her future won’t be as bad as she thinks. Looking forward to the sequel and other stories from Creative HeArts.

PS. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries are my jam!

description

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book!
You can read this review on BookishFever

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

description

Emily McKay is a life-long fan of books, pop-culture and anything geeky. She has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and baking cookies. When she’s not kicking-ass and scooping cookie dough, she’s watching videos from Screen Junkies (her favorite Youtube channel) or Pemberly Digital or Classic Alice. Okay, she has a Youtube problem! She’s seeking help. Really. Though, she may also have a slight problem with procrastination.

When the internet is down and there are no chocolate chips in the house, she does write books – everything from Harlequin romance novels to post-apocalyptic YA. Though her interests may appear broad, the common denominators are swoony heroes and snarky humor.

You can find her on her website, her blog, Twitter, Facebook.
Profile Image for Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions).
470 reviews98 followers
February 12, 2016
Read full review HERE

description

I have to say that I was not expecting to like this books as much as I did. Also, getting into it, I had no idea that it would be a series of its own – a.k.a., this is the first book in the Willa and Finn trilogy. So people, be warned: THIS IS NOT A STANDALONE NOVEL! Also, this is a loose retelling of Pride and Prejudice!

description

First of all, I really liked the writing! This book is mostly written from Willa’s POV, first person, and she’s a delight. She’s funny and sarcastic and she says and thinks the most hilarious things. Then, every now and then we get a Finn chapter, and they’re totally different because they’re told in the 3rd person. I loved this style. I’ve read a lot of books with dual POV, but none who had done like this and I really really digged it!

I loved Willa and I loved Finn. I thought that Willa was a bit quick to judge, especially when Finn was concerned. I saw a few reviews saying how rude and self absorbed Finn was, but I didn’t get that idea at all. These are 2 broken characters, who had at some point in their lives, to help their parents get out of a bad situation, and they were both forced to grow a lot faster than they should have because of it.

I totally got Willa’s reticence when meeting Mia, her dad’s new fiancée. I’ve been living with my father since I was 13 and now if he made a decision that big and didn’t tell me, I would probably be ok with it, because, you know, I’m 31… but at 17 I would have been pissed! It’s not that Willa doesn’t want her dad to be happy, of course she does, but without even a warning – when it had been them against the world for 7 years – he gets home with a new woman and a lot of changes. He might be in love, but he’s losing part of himself to this new – very new – relationship, and Willa is not OK with it. It’s bad! I found it so worrying that he wasn’t even taking into account his daughter’s feelings, or even looking at her, or asking simple stuff as “how’s school?”. I would have been beyond pissed. So, I totally got Willa, and I think it took a lot of guts to finally admit her hangups.

As for Finn, poor Finn… I just wanted to hug him and tell him that everything was going to be OK. Because it has to be absolutely terrible to grow up without trusting anyone…

My only complaint will have to be on how light this book was on the romance front. I mean, there are a few situations, but NOTHING happens. I was almost screaming at my Kindle for them to freaking kiss already!… it didn’t help =/.

I hope there’s more tension and finally some kissing with the right person on the next book… and that the parents realize they need to stop putting up a front and just be themselves.

I really liked this, I can’t wait for book 2 to come out :D.
Profile Image for Paula M.
546 reviews643 followers
February 5, 2016
Err. Why didn't they mention that this is going to be a series?! I like the story but the ending really pissed me off. So more like 2.5

Full review to be posted!
Profile Image for Siobhan Davis.
Author 101 books7,783 followers
February 2, 2017
I LOVE the way this series has been crafted with different authors writing different books based on characters who are all interconnected. Did I say I LOVE it? I LOVE LOVE it! Okay, fangirl moment over. I've read four in the series now, and not in the order I was supposed to ('cause I'm an idiot) but it hasn't dented my enjoyment and I've thoroughly enjoyed every book.

I first met Finn McCain in Falling for the Girl Next Door by Tera Lynn Childs (Sloane & Tru #2 and #5 in the series) and I was instantly swooning, so when the opportunity arose to review Weddings, Crushes, and Others Dramas (#6 in the series) I jumped at the chance, and the very lovely Melissa from Entangled gave me a copy of this book to read first.

I'm obsessed with forbidden romance at the moment (ahem!) and I also love stepbrother romance so I had high expectations going in. I am glad to say that this book lived up to them and more.

I loved Willa! Her voice was distinctive, unique, and refreshing. She was sensitive, intelligent, spunky, and very loyal to her father and friends. Her relationship with her father unravels in this one as he falls head over heels in love with a movie star and she pretty much monopolizes his life. Willa has no clue because her father has kept her in the dark (I seriously wanted to throttle him) and overnight her world completely tilts on its axis. She is floundering and feeling insecure and concerned that her father is going to get his heart trampled on again.

Enter the divine, supremely hot, Finn, son of said movie star and all round good guy. He tries his best to help Willa adjust to her new life but she thinks he's making fun of her and she's somewhat intimidated by his good looks and his confidence and the simmering attraction she feels for him.

I love me some teen angst and drama and this book delivered in spades.

I really enjoyed the world created in this series and I (naturally) love that Willa is a writer. All the characters are really well crafted and I'm interested/invested in all of them.

The writing is brilliant, the pacing was perfect, and I adored the dual POV. There was a decent amount of witty banter, amidst serious moments, and frivolous scenes. I was a tad disappointed there was no sneaky kissing going on but given how the book ends (and the fact that I have the next installment of their love story on my Kindle to read) I know there is plenty more mileage to come from this couple.

Overall, this was a fantastic read and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Thanks to Entangled for providing a review copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Moriah.
694 reviews86 followers
February 12, 2016
*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

**I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Fame—what is it? Do you want it? How much does it cost? The synopsis of this book drew me in. I haven’t read the first book in the series—*cringes at negligence*—but I didn’t care (Who are you and what have you done with me?). Anyway, I just finished reading another book where the main character fell in love with her stepbrother, and suffice to say, I wanted to know how different this subject could be. So, I started it immediately after I finished the book I was currently reading when it arrived safe and sound on my Kindle, thus starting the third book of the year with this kind of romance.

Willa Schofer had a contagious personality. She was funny and witty and knew how to stand her own. The relationship she had with her father intrigued me, since he didn’t spend a lot of time at home. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Willa’s broken relationship with her father, albeit at the beginning of the novel it didn’t appear to be the case. If you’re looking for a book that’s media res without actually being an action book, this one is for you. Willa’s life was thrown in every direction from the first page so fast that she didn’t know how to catch it. There are moments when she got on my nerves, when I agreed with everything that Finn said to her, but I still liked her—I could still relate to her. Change, acceptance, and loss are integral to this story. I loved seeing how each piece of the puzzle fit together and made Willa a new person—though I didn’t agree with her choices.

Finn—ah, Finn. I want one. I’ve never been one that found motorcycles a must, but, seriously, Katie McGarry and now Emily McKay are making me rethink that. Finn tells his parts of the story in third person, but I still found it easy to connect with him. I liked his voice being different than Willa’s in that aspect, because I could easily switch into who was talking and place myself in their shoes.

The ending…What? Why did you do that to me, Emily McKay? That can’t be all! Please, please, please tell me there will be more! I got connected to these characters, I got invested in their plights and all of their issues, I wanted more, and when I turned the last page I didn’t believe that it was over, because—well, it can’t be. Nope, I’m not accepting “Yes, it’s over, Moriah” as answer. Find me when you have something else to tell me. Anyway, I can’t wait to see where this series goes. I will be going back and reading the first book in the series.

When a series is written with multiple authors, I always approach it with slight trepidation. I am willing to give every book in this series a chance, not only because I am a fan of Tera Lynn Childs—I really need to read the first book—but because Emily McKay has convinced me that I need to with Willa’s story.

I want to go to Austin, engross myself in the city, and wish for love along the way—being the hopeless romantic that I am. While I do not have a ticket to Texas anywhere in sight, and I am Valentine-less in the month of February, I got to pretend for a few chapters!
Profile Image for Melissa (YA Book Shelf).
741 reviews133 followers
February 9, 2016
Seriously...I couldn't put this book down.

The dynamic between Willa and Finn is incredible, and I love that this loose retelling of Pride & Prejudice at an art school in Austin called NetGen Academy has some unexpected plot points along the way. If you love P&P, book nerd heroines, web series, and forbidden love between two characters who have the love-hate thing down pat, but also have complex characterizations, then you have to pick up this one.

I also liked how Emily McKay explores questions about what it's like to grow up with fame (like Finn has) and what it's like to have it thrust on you (like Willa is experiencing) when her cinematographer father starts dating Mia McCain, the biggest star in Hollywood and becomes known as #MiaMcCainsNewBoyToy.

For those who read Tera Lynn Childs' Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru, you will get a few glimpses of them, but will also be introduced to a whole slew of new characters that will be vying for your affections, including some characters who will be the leads in future novels in the series by Shellee Roberts and Tracy Deebs. That said, if you haven't read Childs' book, you can still read this one first if you don't mind minor spoilers about Sloane and Tru (Willa doesn't know either of them very well, so you'll still have plenty of surprises along the way).

As a vegan, I liked that the main character's father has been a vegetarian for a long time and even though Willa isn't one, she prepares meals that suit his diet whenever he comes back home from a long shoot. I also liked that she questioned a lot of the changes he makes in his life, including his decision to start eating chicken after years of a meatless life, because his new girlfriend / fiancee "prepared" it (or rather bought a roasted chicken from the store when she burnt her's) but nothing vegetarian. I also liked that she was totally cool with her new friend, Sloane's, vegetarianism.

Highly recommended to fans of Stephanie Perkins' Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I, for one, can't wait to see what happens in the next Creative HeArts installment from Emily McKay!
Profile Image for Vee.
361 reviews134 followers
June 25, 2020
Why did I give this book 4 stars?
Well, I can’t say this is any masterpiece but here’s why:
-The story was great. Even if it’s a love story, there are really deep topics. Like the death of a parent, having a new stepparent, dealing with existential crisis, etc
-Willa is not the smartest character, definitely not but we do have some things in common, like our love for books.
- This book got me so hooked I couldn’t stop reading it.
-The idea that this series is not about different stories but about a really big one with a lot of unique characters
-We need to give Willa a break though, if this happened to me I would’ve definitely have a panic attack. Those changes were so abrupt! And I’m also a person who likes to be in control.
-Lastly, i liked it more than the first book and I had the feeling this was a 4 stars material so that’s it
Profile Image for diana.
800 reviews115 followers
August 26, 2017
What just happened? Seriously. What. The. Heck. Just. Happened.

I went into this book thinking it's a cutesy, romantic, light read that would entertain me and satisfy me with an HEA. And it is. But without the HEA. Damn. I was played. Played I tell you.
What happened you ask? Well... This book is not a standalone! I repeat this is NOT a standalone!! I was perfectly content on Finn and Willa being adorable and cute and cuddly and it ends! It just ends! One moment I was blissfully happy just lounging and reading and I turn the last page on this book and I'm greeted by the Acknowledgments section and... And... I don't think I've ever been this frustrated over a book's ending before. It should at least come with a warning sign: "Not a standalone. Prepare to be frustrated with the ending." Or at the very least Goodreads could have warned me. I trusted you Goodreads. Why? Why did you have to let me down now?!
You just broke my heart Emily McKay. Broke it and stomped on it, put it back together and broke it again. I don't think I'll ever recover..
#NothingLikeNotKnowingTheBookYoureReadingIsNotAStandalone

*sigh*

How Willa Got Her Groove Back (man that's a lot of words) is a perfect blend of romance, drama, humor, teenage angst and sass. I flew through the whole thing because it was too good of a book to put down. I was already halfway through it and I didn't even notice.

I LOVE Emily McKay's writing. I wouldn't have cared if nothing substantial happened. Her words are pure magic and I just wanted to get lost in them.

Emily created such complex, intriguing characters you would root for and love.
Willa is a relatable heroine. I get her anal personality and her fear of change. I'm like that. I want to be prepared and know what I'm facing because I get lost and fumble when I'm caught off guard. Moving to a new house, having a new mom, possibly sharing the bathroom with your new (and hot) stepbrother and have you followed by the paparazzi - that's a lot for any teenage girl to take in at once. Willa was one stubborn girl though. She's also quick- witted, smart and extremely determined with a flare for the dramatic at times. I just wish she didn't take that long to come out of her pity party. She was blaming everything on everyone and she was always so angry. I wanted to shake some sense into her a few times. But I think she's an amazing person who loves so wholly. I love her love for her dad. I rarely see that kind of fatherly love expressed in YA novels. Most of the time parents are on the sidelines. Which is untrue in real life. Because if I've learned anything at all, it's that our parents will always have the biggest part in who we become.
I like the focus the author put on family. (I don't think this would have been as powerful a novel if it weren't for that.) It wasn't just a cutesy and fluffy book. It had the right amount of drama to make it realistic (because who doesn't have drama?) and life lessons about self-acceptance and forgiveness.

And oh crap this is turning out to be a lengthy review. So let me just say that this was a wonderful read. I didn't expect it to have a sequel but I'm glad it does because MORE FINN! Finn is... I don't get Finn. But from what I saw he's sweet and loving and loyal and protective and that scene about the telescope? I just wanted to hug him.
I'm not big on the whole "I'm falling for my stepbrother/stepsister" cliche but the author wrote it in such a way that you would root for the characters and just want them to be happy no matter the ending. I'm looking forward to how Finn and Willa's relationship will evolve. And also to their own personal growth.

I think Willa's dad was kind of a douche at the beginning. I understood where he's coming from though. I don't think much about Mia. I just hope it ends well for her too. Damien is a little suspicious. I feel fishy about him. And Willa's gang reminds me of The Big Bang Theory. Does anyone else feel this way?
I cannot wait to see where the author will take these characters to next.

I highly recommend this!

I received an e-arc to read and review.
Profile Image for Alisha.
923 reviews78 followers
August 18, 2016
Oh. My. God.
I can't even!
This book was so good! I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but oh my God the feels I felt!
I loved Willa, I connected to her so easily, and I'm so insanely jealous of her book shelves! She has the dream bookshelves, not going to lie! I really, really felt for her. She has this really good relationship with her dad, except for a few issues, and he suddenly shows up after being away like oh hey, I'm engaged, meet her RIGHT NOW! She's an actress and you're gonna have to move out of the only house you've ever lived in and be hunted down by paparazzi. I felt SO angry on her behalf, her dad was being such a douche!

Then there's Finn. The soon to be step brother. I couldn't make my mind up on him, he'd be really sweet and adorable and he obviously had chemistry with Willa, they cleary like each other, but then Finn would be a total douche. I was surprised by the whole thing with Finn because I wasn't sure what the deal between the two of them would be, but he was struggling with it and it made him act insane towards Willa and while I could understand Finn's feelings and how he was reacting to stuff....Willa is my fave and he was being a douche!

We get both characters POV which I loved, but there'd be some scenes and I'd be like....now give us Finn so we can see the aftermath from his POV.....GIVE ME FINN! I liked the switches, you where never sure if you where about to get some Finn insight, and both characters had such entertaining narratives.

I loved the location and the setting, I'd love to have gone to a school like NextGen it sounds awesome! I loved Willa's friends, they where a lively and entertaining bunch and there's clearly a hell of a lot more going on with some of them than meets the eye!

I need to mention Damien as well, because I just can't decide if he's a really good actor and Finn is right about him and what he's up to...or if he's actually genuine. Like I want him to be genuine, I spend the entire book liking him but at the same time waiting for the other shoe to drop with him so I'm intrigued to see what's going to happen.

The pace was fast, and as the percent of the book read kept going up and up...I started to panic. Nothing was getting resolved, so many things where left hanging and I was like "Omg what's going on?! Is there no endgame couple!? What is happening!?" then the book finished. In a perfect place, but still. AND THEN IT'S CASUALLY LIKE "OH HEY BOOK TWO IS OUT IN NOVEMBER" Book Two?! NOVEMBER?! I had no idea that there was a sequel to this and it'd be told in two parts, and that the wait is until November! I was just like OMG NOOOOO I NEED TO KNOW NOW!

But yeah, I completely loved the book, it made me laugh, it gave me the warm and fuzzies and it was freaking brilliant!
Profile Image for Wendy.
80 reviews37 followers
July 9, 2016
"When you're lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle, you put the lid on as fast as you can."

First of all, I really wanna thank Netgalley, Entangled Publishing LLC and Entangled: Crush for giving me a chance to read this book. I found this book on Netgalley (obviously) and it got me instantly. Why? The synopsis just screamed drama and I actually really love drama. I requested the book and I hoped for the best: I got the book!

I well-estimated this book because gosh what a drama! Everything was a big deal in a positive way, not annoying but incredibly fun to read. Because what is more fun than falling in love with your stepbrother? Exactly, I don’t know too...

I think the change of the main characters is done very nice. You’re sure they like each other, because nothing is better than a story with two main characters who are crushing on each other. Otherwise you have to endlessly fanatasize if the feeling is mutual because you only know how one person feels.

I find it hilarious that they hate each other but at the same time they’re awfully in love and they really don’t want to admit it. Willa keeps telling us over and over again that she wants nothing to do with Finn, but in the meantime she thinks about him like four times on a page. That she doesn’t like Damien (her school crush) as much as she used to and that she keeps comparing him to Finn, I find that really funny.

This also brings me to Finn, because oh my damn, he’s a great protagonist. Not only is he awfully hot (exactly like the synopsis tells us) he also has a lot of confidence. The kind of confidence that isn’t the negative one, no, he’s just incredibly cute when he does those things for Willa. Aaaah *sighs and swoons*

As last (but not least): You shouldn’t think that this book is only about the feelings of Willa and Finn (well for the most of the time it does), but the main reason of this story has to the engagement, oh the drama (and I really mean lots of it!)

Eventually I really enjoyed this book, even when I think the end is just really stupid. I prefer the cliché endings and well, that wasn’t really the case here. Furthermore, I also found out that this book is one of three which I find quite annoying, I would have preferred this as one book with just a really nice ending. Despite this hiccups, I give How Willa Got Her Groove Back five beautiful stars!
Profile Image for Deitre .
329 reviews330 followers
February 17, 2016
description

(Plus, Finn? I mean: Come. On.)
description

To read the rest of the review, simply follow the link: http://www.aleisuremoment.com/2016/02...
Profile Image for Deniz.
1,135 reviews99 followers
February 13, 2016
3.5Stars

Not sure yet if I am rounding up or down...
Buuuuuut let me tell you- my heart is breaking!!
For so many reasons, one of them being that I gotta wait until September to read the rest of Willa's and Finn story.
I mean SEPTEMBER?!! Reallly?!!!
Profile Image for Emily.
560 reviews38 followers
February 11, 2017
Willa is excited for her senior year in high school. Everything will go as she planned, and it will be amazing. But then her father returns from a business trip and shocks her with the news—he is getting remarried. It isn’t that she isn’t happy for him; she has, after all, tried to get him to date again after her mother’s death. It’s that he didn’t even tell her he was dating at all, and now he’s marring this uber-famous actress with an annoying, hot son Willa’s age. All of that put together means Willa’s life is turned irreparably upside-down.

How Willa Got Her Groove Back is a high school romance featuring snarky Willa and her soon-to-be step-brother and arch nemesis, Finn McCain. Sparks fly the moment the two of them meet, which will only make it harder when the have to attend the same school and live together. Because Willa’s dad is strongly against them starting a relationship. But despite the sparks and parent involvement, Willa and Finn can’t seem to figure each other out. Finn is hiding a big secret, and Willa is going crazy about the whole situation. The book was very well-written and captured me from the first page. The characters are memorable, realistic, and fun to read about. And I can’t help but wish they would be able to start a romance, though I can’t imagine how they would be able to make it work, parent-objections considered. Willa was hilarious, but sometimes her whining annoyed me. She was so frustrated with the situation that she took it out on the people she cared about. Though to be fair, I agree with Finn that her father wasn’t helping the situation very much. Still, I loved both of the characters very much, mistakes and all. The settings were amazing, and the media made everything more dramatic, in a good way. I’m glad I don’t have to wait to read book two.

There are some minor content warnings: swearing, a little kissing, and sexual innuendos. To my uber-conservative friends, I will also mention that there was a gay character, underage drinking, and an unmarried couple living together. But none of those things bothered me in the least…

I enjoyed reading this book very much and would recommend it to teens who enjoy contemporary chick flicks.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions are expressly my own.
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
February 24, 2016
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

How Willa Got Her Groove Back is the second book in the young adult, Creative HeArts series. The Creative HeArts series in unique in the fact that each of the books is written by a different author. Tera Lynn Childs wrote the first book, Ten Things Sloane Hates about Tru, which is the first book in a Sloane and Tru trilogy. However, How Willa Got Her Groove Back is about completely different characters and it is by Emily McKay. The feature that ties all of the books together is that they are all high school contemporary romances, and they all center around couples in the arts in some way, shape or fashion. It is an interesting concept. I have not read the first book in the series, so I don't know if the books are going to rotate with the characters. For example, I know books 1-3 are each centered around a different couple, but I don't know if book 4 will continue this trend or if it will cycle back around and be book 2 out of 3 in the Sloane and True trilogy. Have I confused you yet?

Ok, in case you are totally confused about the structure of the overall series, let's talk about this book. How Willa Got Her Groove back is the story of Willa and Finn. It was a really cute story. When I finished reading it, I immediately wished that there was more to this book. (or that I had the second part of their story.) I felt like we left off at a really good part, and I want to know that happens next.

Willa is just a (sort of) ordinary girl. Or, as ordinary as you can be with a famous director for a father. But then her father gets engaged to a famous actress, and along with her comes her hot son. I bet you can see where this story is going. Except, it didn't...go there that is. There was a lot of hinting that it may be to come, but I both loved and was frustrated by the fact that there was only a lot of hinting. I loved it because this book was focused more on Willa and her reservations about the whole thing. And let me just say, I completely get it. Her life is going to be completely uprooted and changed, and she didn't get even the slightest heads up. But at the same time, man was she vocal and stubborn, and a bit of a brat about the whole thing. I love Willa, but I would have hoped that she would have been a bit more gracious after she was given time to settle down and adjust to the idea. Now for my frustration...I loved Finn. I found myself waiting for his chapters to come around because I was just so delighted in how protective he was of Willa.

Book two needs to get here ASAP and I for one and hoping for a whole lot of Willa and Finn. Or at least for Willa to open up a little and give him, and his mom a chance. Mia seems like a genuinely nice person, and Willa treated her pretty bad.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a contemporary romance book that is witty, well written and doesn't take any of the obvious moves, this is the book for you. It takes a well loved trope and goes the unexpected route, in my opinion. This first book is mainly focused on character building and growth, and the relationships (of all kinds) are slow burn and so enjoyable. I am a huge fan of How Willa Got her Groove Back. Bring me book two now, please!

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs
Profile Image for Brooke's Epic Emporium.
850 reviews188 followers
February 26, 2016
I want to thank Entangled : Crush for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

I have really been enjoying the Entangled: Crush line of books. They are cute and funny and romantic. I enjoy the fact that they are not only about the romance. There is always some underlying conflict that needs resolution. With this book it was no different.

Let's talk about the characters, shall we.
First we have Willa. I really enjoyed getting to know her. She's sassy and smart and protective all wrapped in a nice ball. I can also tell that Willa is not the kind of girl who likes change. She's had enough of it to last her a lifetime. So when her father drops the big marriage bomb on her, and she didn't even know anything about it, you can imagine she gets a bit bent out of shape. She's very determined to show her father that marriage to someone who is super well known is not the way to go. This is her protective side coming out for sure. She doesn't want her father's heart broken. He's had enough of that.
Enter Finn McCain, son of the uber famous star Willa's father is intent on marrying. Finn is arrogant and all about self-preservation. Of course he finds himself drawn to Willa, despite the fact they are soon to be family. But Finn is used to putting up his guard, after all, he's lived all his life with his mother in the spotlight. He doesn't let anyone close; purposely pushes them away so he doesn't have to ever reveal who he truly is. I was a bit sad for Finn. I wanted to take him in my arms and hug him and tell him it would all be alright. And, while he thinks his mother's marriage to Willa's father might not be such a good idea, he has reasons for wanting the marriage to work. Reasons he keeps secret from Willa.

I love the chemistry between these two. Both are intent on staying away from each other. They put up walls to make it look like they are not affected by the other. But it's hard to keep up such a facade when you end up in the same group for a class. I will say the tension really got me. But the end, I needed the two of them to finally say how they felt! It was killing me. I will say there wasn't quite as much romance as I would have liked. However, this is a series, so I'm interested to see where the author takes what she's started.

The secondary characters are really great. I know this is a spin off of the first Creative Hearts book, which I did not read, so I'm sure I would get more if I read that (more about Willa's friends). I found them undeniably intriguing and fun.

McKay has a great writing style. She infuses witty situations where there might otherwise be all out sobbing tears from the characters. One thing I would have liked to see more was Finn's POV. The book is split between him and Willa but it's mostly Willa. I felt like I didn't get to know him quite as much as I would have liked to. I hope there is more of him in the next installment.

Overall, this was a funny, cute and romantic read full of real life situations and characters that could be your own best friend. If you're a fan of YA contemporary romance along the lines of Kasie West or Elizabeth Perkins, then you'll enjoy McKay's story!

Profile Image for Erica Chilson.
Author 34 books428 followers
February 14, 2016
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Angsty Stars

Young Adult age range: 12+

How Willa Got Her Groove Back trapped me from page one with Willa's infectious narration. Page after page, I gorged myself until the very end when I realized the afternoon had waned to evening without coming up for air.

This Young Adult novel was everything I enjoy about the genre: the 'feels'. I can't explain why YA novels always seem to evoke so many emotions in me. For both Willa and Finn, I was frustrated, angered, heartbroken, heartstring-tugged, and happy.

There was a definite growth in Willa as the book progressed. I can see where readers may find her a bit judgmental and snobbish, especially adult readers. But Willa's story perfectly portrayed the powerlessness of youth, where you're the passenger while your irresponsible parents are in the driver's seat, maybe driving you in a direction that is negative for all, without a thought or care for you or your opinions on your life.

Imagine everything you've ever known changing in a heartbeat, just because your father or mother has on lust-goggles and is being led around by a body part that shouldn't get a say in your life. I was frustrated, angered, and hurt for both Finn & Willa.

Should children get a say in their parents' love lives? NO. But they should be taken into consideration and treated with respect, instead of throwaway objects used as props and remembered when the parents need a 'family' experience. & this isn't just something that happens in books, more like the majority of homes. Just thinking of how powerless this leaves the children gives me the shakes.

Willa finds out her absentee father is marrying a superstar actress, after he fails to tell her he's even dating anyone. Just shows up and drops it into her lap. There's a level of betrayal, as the man who was written to be her partner in crime is so love-fogged he notices nothing but his new fiancee. But as you read along, the reader realizes the father was built up in the daughter's mind, and not at all her partner and knight in shining armor. Willa's emotions are written across the pages, and the reader feels them with her. Several gut-wrenching moments, and a few time tears escaped my eyes.

The narrators are both Willa, and her soon-to-be stepbrother/love interest, Finn. But Willa has the most page time. They are polar opposites except in the way they love their respective parent, so this gives the reader a 360 degree view of the storyline.

This is in no way a standalone, but not a cliffhanger. The ending was definitive in respect to the storyline, but it left a major thirst for more. That addictive 'what's next?' sensation that has a reader one-clicking the next in the series, and that's a very good thing in my opinion.

I can't wait for book #2, and I can already guess it's going to be an angst-fest of epic proportions with the threads opened near the end of book #1. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Profile Image for Krystianna.
383 reviews99 followers
February 22, 2016
This one was enjoyable! I love Entangled Crush's contemporaries. Full review coming really soon!

**Thanks so much to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I'm a big contemporary fan as of the last year, so I knew that I would definitely love How Willa Got Her Groove Back. The story follows a girl named Willa whose father works in the movie business. When he comes back from filming one movie in particular, he decides to bring Willa out to dinner only to drop a bomb on her: he's getting married to the starlet of the last movie that he helped with. Not only that, but the fiancee also has a son named Finn who will be living with them. Plus, they may all have to move into a new house that's much bigger and in a spot where the paparazzi can't easily get to them.

I really felt for Willa. I don't know how I'd respond if I was in a situation like she was! I'd probably make a run for it, just like she did. She handled the situation a little better after that, though. Probably better than I would. At the same time, it was pretty cool that her father was marrying a celebrity, even if she was known for her many marriages in the past.

Finn was a pretty cool character. I mean, the name Finn has always been one of my favorites, so how could I not like him? I felt a little upset with him though because he was trying to get Willa to be okay with the marriage just so he could get millions of dollars from his trust fund. That was kind of a dirty thing to do, in my opinion. But I guess it would get his mother off his back and out of his life, which he kind of wanted.

I definitely can't wait to read more in this series! If you've not read the first book, you can still read this one because it's more of a companion, which is great! I suggest checking it out if you love contemporaries!
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,817 reviews85 followers
February 4, 2016
Admittedly when I started How Willa Got Her Groove Back I was thinking it was going to be just another New Adult/Romance/Contemporary book, you know the type which are a dime a dozen and you've read similar of time and time again. I wasn't expecting what I ended up with though, no not at all!

Firstly I adored this book, Emily has wrote a great book of romance and friendship. Of broken families and the struggled of preparing the cracks in the past, cracks you probably didn't realise were there. The story has great pace, it kept me interested, it kept me riveted, it kept me rooting for Finn and Willa, even though I wasn't sure if they should be together or not. The more I read about Willa and her crush the more I hated him. I loved the friendship dynamics of the group too. This book was sweet, but not sickly so.

What surprised me so much about was that I didn't like Willa at times. She is selfish with her feelings, jealous at times of her fathers relationship and is a bit of a 'world revolves around me' type at times. I actually admired Finn when he took her down a peg or 2. I adored Finn, his complexity, he's sweet hidden nature and can I say the whole 'book shelf' and 'north star' bought a lump to my throat.

The only think I didn't like about this book, the end! I didn't realise it was going to be a series, hated we were left now knowing what would happen next and then read it was going to be late this year for the next book - yeah I didn't like that at all. This is a 4 star read, I really enjoyed it and am sure its going to appeal to loads of others out there.
Profile Image for Daisy Delfin.
855 reviews102 followers
January 4, 2020

Pages: 240
My rating: 4
Read other books by this author in the future: yes

Well right of the start you have to know, that this is a two part series. It is about Willa but it is also about her father and the famous actress Mia.

The author did good, because I really hated the persons she wanted me to hate and had a lot of compassion with Willa. The book was sometimes quite sad, but also entertaining.

February 21, 2016

See this review in its natural environment, Dani Reviews Things.

Rating: 3.5*

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The book started off with a line that automatically put it in my favour.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl who chooses to spend Friday night with her father must be in want of a social life.

This line is a play on the opening of Pride and Prejudice (by Jane Austen, but you should already know that). You might think the book would then continue to be based on P&P, and maybe I can see elements of that, but not really. That being said, I have my suspicions about a certain someone (coughDamiencough).

Until the end, I actually kept reading instead of other more pressing things because I was genuinely enjoying the story and building chemistry between Willa and Finn. Willa was stubborn and hardworking, determined to be a stellar novelist one day. As someone who liked routine and organisation, she was not a fan of the sudden upheaval of her life. Finn was pretty swoony – I mean, he rode a motorcycle, liked astronomy and had hair to drag your fingers through, so yeah. Yum. (Don't you just love hair you can play with? And isn't that habit some guys have of running their fingers back through their hair pretty hot?) Both really cared about their respective parents, though neither seemed to have a very typical relationship with them.

I loved the references in this book to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries webseries, the Twilight series and other assorted pop/geek culture. Willa and her friends even had a Marvel movie marathon!!!

Hey, look, I demonstrated the hair thing AND covered the Twilight reference! 2 birds, 1 stone.

I also liked that the story was set at a creative arts high school, an idea that's rather exotic to me. Imagine going to a school where you could choose your focus? I mean, I guess I had that in a sense because I could choose my subjects, but I still had to pick at least one from each of five subject areas (maths, science, social science, English, foreign language).

Now, what exactly kept this book from being amazing?

Well, for a start, I thought that this was part of a typical romantic series. The first book (which I haven't read) was about Tru and Sloane, who appear in this story on the side. I figured this book would tell the whole of Willa and Finn's story. It wasn't clear when I signed up to review the book that this is only a third of the tale. Because I was missing this little bit of information when I started (it has since been added to the title on Goodreads), I went in expecting the storyline to follow the usual arc of meeting > angst > dramatic proclamation of love. Of course, there would be more to the plot, but I'd naturally be looking for an ending of Big Love.

ALAS. By the end of this book, we were still in the thick of angst, and nothing major had really happened. Honestly. It was all going great until about 80%, when I realised that there was no way the book was going to resolve in a satisfactory way. This revelation changed my whole perspective on the pacing of the story. Suddenly, it seemed too slow, and I felt dissatisfied at the end. This was a cliffhanger, but it wasn't a good one. What should have been a side plot point and part of the overall development of the story was confusingly the issue that got resolved at the end. Whaaa?

The other thing that frustrated me was that Willa didn't react strongly enough to the change in her family state. Maybe this is just me being jaded and having a completely different relationship to my parents (pre- and post-horrible-split). But to find out about the engagement and only freak out a little, to the point that she's still trying to accept her new stepmom-to-be within a week, doesn't fly by me. I would completely lose my shit if someone made me move in and be a big happy family with two people that I'd only met a couple weeks before. Again, different situation, but it still wasn't believable for me, especially when the focus of this first book turned out to be her relationship with her dad.

Finally, teeny points here, but there were some typos ('shone' should have been 'shown' for example), and the cover doesn't match any of the scenes in the book. Eh?

My advice? Well, for the publisher, I would have suggested condensing the three books into a slightly longer single book. For readers, I think this book is enjoyable, but I would wait for the others to come out so you aren't left feeling confused and disappointed.
Profile Image for Veronika.
482 reviews147 followers
Read
March 14, 2017
DNF at 32%

I'm not a fan of angst, but I totally readied myself for that, I knew that was coming, BUT what I didn't expect was for both the story itself AND Willa herself being incredibly over-dramatic. Which is not a bad thing! I mean, obviously, it didn't work FOR ME, but I do believe it could very well work for others. Willa, for some reason, chose to be incredibly selfish, judgmental and she made a huge as heck deal out of everything, with that making HER OWN LIFE worse. I just couldn't with her. So my reason for DNF-ing? Hating the heck out of the protagonist.

On a side note, I did check out other reviews to see if this was worth continuing, and apparently it ends on a cliffhanger, so haha, nope, never continuing this. #sorrynotsorry
Profile Image for Rê .
455 reviews56 followers
February 24, 2016
4 “Forbidden love is my kryptonite” STARS

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Entangled Teen Crush!!

Full review also on the blog: http://usbrazilbookreview.blogspot.co...

First of all, let’s take a moment to appreciate this title. HOW WILLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK is a great title – the kind that makes you stop and take notice. So that’s reason #1 I requested this book. Reason #2? The blurb and premise. The promise of a great story with the “forbidden love” trope. That’s like 4 reasons now, huh? Oh, well…

Good news: the book didn’t disappoint.

Meet Willa, wanna-be novelist and daughter of a cinematographer who’s used to meeting celebrities and Hollywood stars. What she’s not used to is her dad bringing one home and announcing he’s about to marry her. To makes matters worse, her future stepmother isn’t just any celebrity; she’s one of the most famous actresses in the world.

But Willa’s biggest fear isn’t the paparazzi following her stepmother’s (and now Willa’s) every move. She actually fears how her father will handle the break up once famous-actress-stepmother decides to leave him and breaks his heart, because Willa is convinced she eventually will. After all, the woman is known for her tumultuous love life.

And famous-actress-stepmother isn’t coming into her family on her own – she’s also bringing in her son, Finn. And that’s a problem because Finn is hot (HOT, HOT) and a bit of a jackass. One Willa can’t stop thinking about, even though she should because he’s about to become her stepbrother soon.

So, you see, Willa’s life is about to change and become a whole lot more difficult – which, let’s be honest, is what we wanted all along because DRAMA!

Although the premise allowed for many chances at external conflict (and there were some), I believe the author made the right choice by focusing on Willa and Finn’s internal conflicts.

Willa had many fears, but her concern for her father was the thing that made me like her instantly. She truly cared and loved her dad. Although his decision to marry a Hollywood actress only three months after meeting her was reason enough for Willa to go “Oh, no you won’t!”, she didn’t approve of her dad’s marriage idea because she saw it as a real threat to him. She wanted to protect him from another heartbreak, and that made her extremely likable.

The same goes for Finn. I don’t approve of his methods, but when he chooses to convince Willa to be on board with the wedding, he does it thinking it’s a way to protect his mother. So although I know his secret will eventually come out and ruin it all, I hope Willa sees it the same way as I do.

Finn is willing to protect his mother, the same way Willa wants to protect her dad. They’re good kids, and I love that about them.

Aside from the whole parent-child dynamic, Finn and Willa’s interactions also made this a great story. I wasn’t a huge fan of the way the author decided to write the dual POV (one is first person and the other is third), but I was happy to be inside Finn’s head.

The chemistry between Willa and Finn and the “forbidden” element were there, as well as a little “hate-to-love”. When you put two of my favorite romance tropes together, and you do it well, you have a win. The pacing also worked for me. I always want the tension and the “should we or shouldn’t we” feeling to last as long as it can, because that makes the next step much more gratifying.

Of course I wasn’t truly expecting it to last past this book, because I went into this thinking it’d be a standalone. But guess what? It isn’t!!! Although there’s no indication of that on Goodreads or anywhere else (WHY????), this is the first book in a series that will follow Willa and Finn’s life (though I have no idea how many more the author is planning to write).

On one hand, this made the ending a bit disappointing because it felt like it came out of nowhere. On the other hand, since there’s a sequel coming, I approve of where the story ended because of what I said above – I want the tension to last, plus I see potential for more conflict now that Finn and Willa will be leaving under the same roof and fighting their feelings for each other.

I can’t wait for the next book, to be honest.

If you’re looking for a good YA Contemporary, you should definitely check this one out.
Profile Image for Namratha.
1,014 reviews231 followers
April 13, 2019
Unexpectedly sweet and intuitive.
I just wish it wasn't an ongoing story.....I would really have liked to have a satisfying ending right here,right now.
Profile Image for Miranda.
729 reviews111 followers
February 8, 2016
I went into this book expecting a romantic comedy, and it actually wasn't quite as romantic as I was expecting! There was some romance, but it definitely wasn't as significant as I thought it would be. This book was really funny though! I thought Willa's commentary was hilarious and very witty. McKay did a great job at weaving humor into this book. I legitimately laughed out loud while reading this book.

Even though I thought Willa was really funny, she was kind of over dramatic. I understood what she was going through, but I thought she should have been a little bit more mature about the situation. I think she came to her own conclusions way too quickly. I think she should have talked to her dad about the marriage, and I think she should have been nicer to her dad's fiancee. She didn't even give her a chance! Again, I understood why she was so upset, but I definitely felt like she could have handled the situation much better.

At first, I didn't think I would end up liking Finn. He was kind of a jerk! He would act like a douche, but then he would do such nice things! I couldn't help but eventually fall for him. I have a soft spot for bad boys with a good heart!

When it came to the romance, I was really surprised at the lack of it. The book was more about Willa's immature way of dealing with her dad's love life. I think I would have enjoyed this book more if there would have been more of a romantic development between Willa and Finn. I though Willa and Finn had great chemistry, and they would have made such a cute couple! They had some cute moments together, but I would have liked to see even more moments between them. I am hoping to get that in book two.

The ending killed me! I couldn't believe McKay ended the book like that. I need answers! I am looking forward to reading the next book to see what happens with Willa and Finn. I am sure it will be a hilarious book!

Overall, this was a hilarious book that I did have fun reading even though it was lacking in the romance department.

3 / 5 Fangs

*This ebook was given to me in exchange for a honest review. *

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It
Facebook
Twitter
Profile Image for Cathy.
597 reviews12 followers
February 23, 2016
So far so good, I have enjoyed every Entangled Crush book to come out that I’ve read and this book did not disappoint. This was an adorably cute quick read that kept me interested throughout the whole book. There was a lot of drama and angst between the characters and their families. Very interesting plot as well, even though I may not see it happening, I guess it could if you knew the right people, but still adorable.

We meet Willa who is all pro dad coming home finally from his work project until he comes home with the star of the movie and is about to marry her. Talk about life turning upside down! Of course as you can imagine there will be drama, after all it’s not every day a movie star as big as Mia comes into your life, now you have to deal with paparazzi, and a new soon to be stepbrother Finn. But I don’t think that’s the biggest part of this book, I really think it’s more about the relationship between Willa and her father. They have spent so long being alone together that it’s different when he finally has a chance to move on from the loss of Willa’s mother. This I think is the more significant story line, its tough moving on from a loss even if it did happen so long ago.

But let’s not put any less light on Finn, because he is adorable. He wants to protect everyone and you see a budding romance between the two characters. Right now it’s more of a crush but oh it can be so much more, and I can’t wait to find out how it progresses. But the short moments they do have even if they infuriate Willa, they definitely have something there. I almost feel bad for his mother because she sounds like she is really trying hard with everyone and everything, I do hope it works out for her in the end.

Overall this was a cute story, but I will say that when I received this book I too did not know it was part of a series. Will have to research more in the future before I pick up a book, but that’s okay because now it just makes me want to read the second book that much more because I was left wanting more of these two main characters. Well really all the characters. It was cute that we did get to see a bit of Sloane in there. But really I need to know what is going to happen with Willa and Finn, and their parents.
Profile Image for Nataly Trofimova.
33 reviews49 followers
February 20, 2016
Thank you NetGalley and Entangled: Crush (Entangled Publishing, LLC) for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

When a book starts with something like “It is a truth universally acknowledged…” you expect it to be full of romance, but instead we have a pretty selfish girl who moans all through the book that she doesn’t want her father to get married on a famous actress Mia McCain (whom Willa adored, by the way), that she doesn’t want to like and trust her soon-to-be-stepbrother Finn, because he lied to her when they met for the first time and so on.
I don't want to judge Willa – who knows what I would do, if I were on her place, but she acted so weird. She is in the senior class of her NextGen art school. In less than a year she will graduate from school, enter university out of her home town and leave her father alone. Isn’t it better to leave him with someone who will love and care about him? Even if someday this person may or may not hurt his feelings.
Her attitude towards Finn I also don’t understand. I don’t deny that he made a mistake when they first – he should have told her who he is, but that’s not a grave error. And during through the whole book she thinks about how not trusting him is a good idea, that he is someone who bears ill will to her. And instead of listening to him and trying to accept his advices she behaves like a little spoiled brat.
How Willa Got Her Groove Back is the first book in Willa and Finn series, but in my opinion it should have been a stand-alone, with a lot more romance and a happy-ending. Instead, we have a book with very confusing ending that made me wonder, what I have just read and why I did it. I don’t think that I will read the second book. Moreover, I’m pretty sure that I will soon forget that I have read this book.
Profile Image for Brittney.
180 reviews19 followers
February 29, 2016
***I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review***
This book was a very fun read that I did find quite enjoyable. It breaches a topic that has been done a few times (a girl suddenly being thrust into a world of fame) but the author somehow manages to have a relatively fresh spin on the idea.
Things I liked
*Willa
I found Willa to be an interesting main character. I loved how the author gave her a close relationship with her father so that the reader can understand her devastation at the news of her father's marriage. I enjoy books where the main character is able to have an adult conversation with their parents and not act like a complete child.
*Split points of view
I thought it was clever how the author showed the thoughts of both Finn and Willa throughout the book. It really gave the reader a clear picture of why each character acts the way they do.

I do wish that more information was given on the supporting characters but I did enjoy having them in the story. I just wish that the author included them a little more so that the reader could fall in love with 100% of the characters.
There is also a semi, maybe possible love triangle in this book although it is not yet fully formed. I do not mind love triangles when the author displays them in a tactful way (which this author did so I had no problems).
My one complaint with this book was the ending. I felt as though the story just kind of ended and I wanted to know more about what happens. I wish that they book was extended for a couple more chapters because I do not want to wait that long for the next book in order to get some of the conflicts resolved.
Overall, the book was an enjoyable read and was rather easy to read. I would recommend for any teen or someone who wants to read a book about the troubles of a young girl when faced with a major change.
Profile Image for Trisha.
1,908 reviews95 followers
February 11, 2016
I wonder if the people who complain about 'insta-love', are also the people who complain when a book ends before the HEA. You can't have both, people! Either the author takes the time to build a love story realistically (which might take a very fat book, or as in this case, two books), or the story needs to be condensed, sped up, and abbreviated.

Not that I know the people who complain about the abruptness of the conclusion here, are those same people. Anyway, be aware this is only part one.

And it's actually pretty good. Willa is a flawed yet genuinely good person. Her concern for her father comes from love and loss. She's quite funny too. Her attempts to control her feelings for super-hot bikie surfer guy let in some lightness to a mostly angsty story. Super-hot bikie surfer guy on the other hand, (hereafter referred to as Finn) is not as easy to like, but eventually I did. His inconsistent behaviour builds slowly, so that by the time he recognises and accepts his feelings for Willa, I was finally sympathetic towards him.

My only niggle is the title. Willa is not getting her groove back here. In fact, she is losing it. It may happen in the second book, but in this one, there is only confusion, anger, insecurity and her feelings of betrayal. I liked how the mess with her father coincides nicely with her doubts about her writing prowess. It really all went terribly wrong.

I would read the next book, and actually I hope there's a Himesh book ( know what you're up to, I see you Himesh!), and a Mariely book (oh Mariely) and even a Damien book (I hope you aren't who you I think you are). So yeah, all the secondary characters are developing too.

How Willa gets her groove back will be out on Feb 22nd. Cope provided by Netgalley and read with thanks.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 91 reviews