Start by marking “Dead Man Walking (Ishmael Jones, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man Walking (Ishmael Jones, #2)

Dead Man Walking

(Ishmael Jones #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  554 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Call me Ishmael. Ishmael Jones. I am the man in the shadows, that even the shadows are afraid of. The secret agent whose life is the greatest secret of all. And some of the cases I work are trickier than others. "
A rogue agent has come in from the cold and wants to spill his secrets. The Organisation wants Ishmael to find out if Frank Parker is who he says he is, what he
Published September 1st 2016 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man Walking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man Walking

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
We all have that one book that got away from us on NetGalley or rather the books. The ones that you really wanted to read, but got turned down for. For me is The Dark Side of the Road one of them, the first book in this series. However, I did not know that this was the sequel to that book when I requested this book. I only saw that when I checked up this book on Goodreads. So, I was pleased that I got this one, and also slightly miffed that I did not buy The Dark Side of the Road when the pr ...more
Karl
Mar 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Ishmael Jones books:

"The Dark Side of the Road" (May 2015)
"Dead Man Walking" (May 2016)
"Very Important Corpses: An Ishmael Jones mystery" (March 2017)
"Death Shall Come" (September 2017)
"Into the Thinnest of Air" (March 2018)
Kathy Davie
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Second in the Ishamel Jones British spy mystery series and revolving around a marooned alien-turned-human spy. This story, a locked-room mystery, is set in a country house in the North Riding in Yorkshire.

My Take
I sure enjoyed reading Ishmael sidestep the new Colonel who is trying so hard to shove aside the deal Ishmael made with the Organization. Naturally, I also liked how much Ishmael enjoyed making the Colonel uncomfortable with Ishmael's choices, *snicker* Our protagonists do employ a lot o
Susan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ishmael is such a fun character. This second book in the series wasn't quite as much fun as the first, but close. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We have another "locked room" mystery in an old manor with a harsh history that belongs to the Organization. Ishmael is brought there to confirm the identity of a prisoner who was a field agent for the Organization that went rogue and was off the radar for several years. Penny accompanies him. Murder and mayhem ensue. I did figure it out and there were a coup ...more
Judy Lesley
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an e-ARC of this novel through NetGalley and Severn House Publishing.

I read the first book in this series (The Dark Side of the Road) in 2015 and gave it four stars because I liked that one and felt there was a lot of potential for it becoming a series. Obviously that has happened with the publication of this second book retaining the premise of the first. I liked this second book, but it was actually pretty much a remake of the first. Still a group of people trapped in an isolated lo
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

Ishmael Jones, as he’s known today, is a man living in the shadows, doing shadowy work for a secretive company. His employer, The Organization, has sent him to verify a rogue agent is who he says he is, but things go horribly wrong and now he has to find a killer before the killer terminates everyone at Ringstone Lodge. Being a detective isn’t his forte, but he’s the only one he trusts to do the job. Now, if only he can figure things out before everyone is murdered.

Still en
November Is Nyarlathotep
Review: DEAD MAN WALKING by Simon Green
[An Ishmael Jones Mystery #2]

Prolific author Simon Green combines science fiction, horror, and suspenseful mystery in this genre-blending series, which commenced with the wonderful THE DARK SIDE OF THE ROAD. Ishmael Jones is a secret agent's secret agent, in the employ of The Organization, an ultra-covert agency. Ishmael has not changed an iota since 1963, and with good reason. In this installment, he is tasked by his new handler to observe the progress of
Carro
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the series. I enjoyed the first book in the series, and thought it was a good set up for a series with a difference. Unfortunately, this sequel is set in a country house, just like the first book. It is a different country house - being a secret interrogation site - but overall it is another bunch of people trapped in another country house. I am not a great fan of the scenario - read an occasional one - but two in a row based on the same premise didn't work for me. Als ...more
Eclectisism Incarnate
I do not remember the first one being this easy to figure out, though I may have blocked that aspect out.
I will continue to read the series. His sense of humor and the mystery of Ishmael is enough to keep me reading, but this one was painful, and I REALLY HATE HAVING TO SAY THAT!

Please let the next one be better. Please. Please?
James Aura
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining hybrid with a little Sci-Fi and mostly an English 'closed room' type mystery.
Similar in plot and method to the first book in the series. I'd like to see the main character, Ishmael developed a bit more next time, or if not, retired.
Lesa
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm addicted to Simon R. Green's Ishmael Jones mysteries, but the third one is only on order for us, so I have to wait to read the next one. Dead Man Walking wasn't quite up to the first country house mystery with supernatural overtones, but it was still intriguing.

Here's what Green writes about in his urban fantasies, in this case, "country house mysteries". "There is a world beneath the world; a hidden place of secrets and lies, deception and double-dealing, masquerade and murder. Where people
Liza
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Frank Parker has been a rogue agent for the Organization for many years. Now he is back, and wants to tell his secrets about deception in the Organization. The Organization has called in Ishmael Jones, one of their top agents, to interview Parker. The Organization sends Ishmael to Ringstone Lodge, where Parker waits, being secured by hired guards and other members of the Organization. Ishmael has one meeting with Parker, and then all hell breaks loose. Parker is murdered, but the cameras didn't ...more
Braden Weber
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Like the previous book in the series, I read this in one day. I think Green copied the previous book and put in small variations to make it sound original. But hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I still love it and count it among my list of favorites.
David
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Simon R Green, but this series is not nearly as good as the Nightside or Droods. But, if SRG writes it, I will read it.
Marlene
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

This was originally going to be my Halloween book for this year, because the Ishmael Jones series, while not horror, is certainly more horror- adjacent than Simon R. Green’s usual books – although the Nightside comes almost as close – with a higher quotient of weird.

Dead Man Walking definitely has elements that would have made it a great Halloween story, because for much of the book it has all the feels of a classic ghost story. An ill-assorted group of peo
Gayle Noble
The second in the series sees Ishmael Jones at Ringstone Lodge, where a former member of the Organisation (Frank Parker) is being questioned. Rumours of ghostly goings-on and Parker's almost supernatural reputation means that Ishmael has his work cut out for him.

I enjoyed this second book much more than the first. The plot was well thought out and pacier, (even though it was pretty obvious 'whodunnit') and just in general, a lot more interesting than the first book. The only issue I had was with
Jay Destroys
Once again we return to the World of Ishmael Jones and his eccentric world of dark and twisted shadows that world hides and cowers from. This book gives you a lot of the same that the first gave if not with better tempo and momentum. So if you are a fan of locked room mysteries than pull up a chair and lie back and enjoy this next adventure.

Positives:
Besides Tempo and Momentum nothing much has changed. So if you like or loved the first then, have at it.

Negatives:
Nothing much changes, it introduc
Ramesh
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
The same plot again?The same outrun the gun?The same victim by victim deaths?The same who is the killer?I am a big fan of Simon but this is basically a rerun of book one.Although it is linked to Black heir,one would expect more interesting scenarios or characters.But it still holds you to find out who the killer is.The calm and dead humor of Ishmael and the cuteness of Penny makes you go on to finish the book.Hope book three would be a step up.
Molly Smith
Really enjoyed this new series by Simon R. Green. It's a wonderful mix of science fiction/urban fantasy...in a wonderful murder mystery. Ishmael is a fascinating character, it will be interesting to learn more about him as he tries to figure out his past. Though gruesome at points, the dry wit and cavalier humor (a Green trademark) lightened it. I can't wait for the next Ishmael Jones mission.
Michael Rhode
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
William
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
One star is being overly generous. Poorly written and not much of a story. The bad guy is pretty obvious early on. Yet another derivative of "13 little indians". Some of book such as the sci fi elements was rather stupid.
Jenni Lathrop
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good second book in the series. Giving us little bits about the larger mystery while still having a good (though predictable) mystery at the heart of the story. Still like these better than the Drood books by far.
Alexander Draganov
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An alien secret agent is trapped with a vicious murderer and a legendary spy in an old manor, haunted by ghosts. Only Simon R. Green can create plot like this and only he can make it work. Brilliant book, wonderfully written, deliciously weird and quite scary, when it must be. Very easy five stars.
Read detailed review in Bulgarian here:
Anna Marie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A locked room mystery that's a whole building. Lots of secrets, suspects, and misdirection. But no one and nothing can stop Ishmael Jones even when they try really hard.
Nicole Green
Apr 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh dear, what a cliche!!!!
Amy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good.
Judy
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting started on this. It didn't really get interesting until near the end.
Debby Kean
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Metagion
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Let's be honest about this story. Ishmael Jones is a half human half alien that is a Secret Agent for the Organization, a shadowy group that keeps the world safe from any and all threats. With his girlfriend Penny (who can take care of herself, thank you) he is sent to one of the most secure facilities to question Super Secret Agent Frank Parker, who just came 'out of the cold' after many years to not only reveal what kind of information he knows about various types of missions over the time he' ...more
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Ishmael Jones (6 books)
  • The Dark Side of the Road (Ishmael Jones, #1)
  • Very Important Corpses (Ishmael Jones, #3)
  • Death Shall Come
  • Into the Thinnest of Air (Ishmael Jones, #5)
  • Murder in the Dark (Ishmael Jones, #6)
“Secret agents gossip like schoolgirls. Just because they know they shouldn’t. Parker” 1 likes
“Paranoid? Why do you want to know?” 1 likes