Start by marking “The Lightlings” as Want to Read:
The Lightlings

The Lightlings

In The Lightlings, Dr. R.C. Sproul weaves an allegorical tale that captures the essence of the biblical story of redemption in a manner that will fascinate and delight children. A race of tiny beings known as lightlings are a picture of humanity as they pass through all the stages of the biblical drama – creation, fall, and redemption. In the end, children will understand ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lightlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightlings

Start your review of The Lightlings
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
this is a not so subtle allegory of people falling to sin and Jesus rescuing them.

I haven't read this book in a long, long time and I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much if I read it now but I just remember that was (one of) the first times I really started getting enthralled by reading

basicaly, this book is okay... it's the nostalgia that earned the four stars

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Heidi
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations for an equally beautiful allegory.
Jeremy
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
An allegory about children of light who disobey the King of Light, Who sends His Son to bring the people back to the light. A friend from college illustrated the book, and his illustrations make the book almost worthy of 5 stars.

Bought the audiobook and listened to it on Easter Sunday 2017. I read this to Kate's 3rd grade class on Nov. 22, 2019. Listened to audio on Dec. 24, 2020.
Kaitlyn Pindak
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another lovely allegory by R.C. Sproul of the fall and saving of those who were made to live in the Light and are saved by the Light of the world!
Jimmy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has been over a year since RC Sproul passed away and reading this book to my kids made me missed him. While I read this books to my kids twelve years after this book was first written it is still as relevant as ever; that’s because this work is based upon Christian truth about the Gospel, with the theme of creation, fall and redemption told in the form of an allegory. I would say this work is a classic.
The story begins with a little girl telling her grandpa being told by his grandson that he’
Sunflower
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Lightlings is both adorable and a wonderful, allegorical story about Creation, the Fall, and Man's redemption in and through our Heavenly Father. An easy read, The Lightlings, is a great night-time or any time story to share with young children or even for older children to read for themselves.

What impress me about ,The Lightlings, is the beautiful drawn illustrations by Justin Gerard not only captures the world of ,The Lightlings, but it also will capture the eyes and imaginations of your c
Leah
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! But it's RC Sproul, so that's no surprise. What I loved was the allegory and the dip into fantasy. The illustrations were gorgeous and a bit whimsical. While it may my be the most 100% accurate allegory (parts fail a bit) it is still a lovely story that starts conversations about the gospel. ...more
Danette
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For my Calvin, Christmas 2010

2/3/19 - Read to my Pre-school Sunday School Class. They loved it!
Rebekah M
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and simple Christmas allegory that brings profound truth to a level even our preschoolers can relate to. We read several time this advent season at their request. This will be a Christmas classic in our house.
Colleen Hendrix
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart light

A sweet rendering of the story of redemption through Christ told with simple loving language. A wonderful way to have a memorable moment with a little one. An opportunity to start a discussion of God's love and provision for his people.
Congetta
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 12-year old son loved the story and the illustrations. It made him think about how he could share the gospel to others (I am assuming young kids) with this story.
Grace
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustration in this book blows me away. The back pages have a great question and answer section for parents with accompanying Bible verses.
Nathan Gull
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story!! Deep gospel truths presented in a way little ones can grasp.
Grant Fawcett
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this with my girls. Just a wonderful allegory.
Teresa Williams
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light of the world

I loved this book; what a beautiful way to introduce children to Jesus, The light of the world, in whom is no darkness
Jodi
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet little allegory of God's gift of salvation through Christ. It's simple and doesn't delve deeply into the plan of salvation, but is more of an introduction to spiritual truths. ...more
Vincent Stewart
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fun, imaginative, and engaging. Great way to spark up some conversations on who we are and who Christ is.
Bob Hayton
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Have you ever wondered why stories have such power to move us? Why children sit mesmerized when they hear a fairy tale, and why people inevitably share their own personal stories when they get together?

Stories move us because we are part of a bigger story, The Story. As Christians, we know the beginning and the end of that story, and all its major plot turns and twists. We don't know exactly how our life story will fit into it, but we have faith that it will.

R.C. Sproul has the gift of storytell
Kristen
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE 7/28/20: We just re-read this book. I had completely forgotten what it was about and again was so pleasantly surprised. It is such a great kids version of the creation, fall and redemption stories. In the end, it's really about the Christmas story; about baby Jesus being sent to bring us all in to the light. I was curious if my kids would understand what it was about. They haven't heard the Adam and Eve story a lot, so I didn't even try on that one, but once we got to the part of the stor ...more
Melanie
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids_books, religion
Dr. Sproul was the first person I heard to paint the Christmas story starting in a garden and not a manger (in the audio CD the Word Became Flesh) and it revolutionized my Christmas that year. You see, the joy of Christmas is the gift of Jesus the son, but you cannot fully appreciate that gift unless you understand our desperate need for it, beginning with the Fall in the garden.

That is exactly where the Lightlings starts- It’s really the Christmas story (Though a good read all year long.) The K
Mikejencostanzo
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, ligonier
The Lightlings is an allegory of God's redemption of man told for kids. But is it ever possible for a story on this theme to be um... boring? Is that sacrilegious to say? Don't get me wrong. This story covers all the bases theologically: creation, fall, redemption. But as I'm reading it, I keep wishing for more depth.

And I argue with myself. The lush illustrations are absolutely drool-worthy. Mystical woodland creatures flit across every page. The lighting is dramatic; the setting is enchanting.
Kara
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely gorgeous children's book written by highly respected theologian R.C. Sproul, telling an allegorical tale of Creation, the Fall, and Redemption based on 1 John 1:5 ("God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all"). A grandfather tells his grandson a tale about the King of Light, who makes a group of people called the Lightlings, designed to shine brightly and reflect his light and glory. Eventually, they become afraid of the light and run away to live in the darkness. But, ...more
Ivan
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
As a parent, one faces the task of presenting the deep truths of the Bible to your kids from an early age. R.C. has a bit of fame for not only being a Bible expositor, but a children’s author as well. In The Lightlings, Sproul presents the biblical story of salvation in an allegorical tale of a people known as the lightlings, which is sure to captivate a young audience.

The bulk of this short book is the tale itself. We meet meet Charlie Cobb who asks a perplexing question to his mom before going
Bethany Harnden
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wondrously illustrated allegory that clearly illustrates the Gospel. For children, but enjoyable for adults who like symbolism and magical tales. Includes Scripture verses in back to explain the story's origin in God's truth. ...more
Jenna Bowen
Mar 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is about creatures called lightlings. This book makes a lot of parallels to the bible. This would be a good way to introduce Christianity students without telling them the story of Christ and getting in trouble.
JPaul
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this for my 8 year old son as a Christmas present. I wish I would have read it before now. It would have made a great Christmas Eve or Christmas morning family devotion. This is a great gospel analogy with beautiful illustrations.
Lissa
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are amazing. Very delightful story for children, wonderful message. Read it to a child you know.
Jake Bishop
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. Provides a good illustration of man's natural condition. Very helpful for my children. ...more

• O nosso clima de Natal
  • Então se verão
  • Tomando Decisões Segundo a Vontade de Deus
  • Lumen
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • The Prisoners, the Earthquake and the Midnight Song
  • As boas novas em Rute: redenção nos campos do Senhor
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • Samuca e Seu Pastor: Percebendo Jesus no Salmo 23
  • O peso das coisas (Um ano de histórias)
  • The Friend Who Forgives: A True Story About How Peter Failed and Jesus Forgave (Tales That Tell the Truth)
  • Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later
  • Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High, #7)
  • Runaway (Sweet Valley High, #21)
  • Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)
  • Abby and the Mystery Baby (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #28)
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t

News & Interviews