Start by marking “The Evil That Men Do: Faith, Injustice and the Church” as Want to Read:
The Evil That Men Do: Faith, Injustice and the Church

The Evil That Men Do: Faith, Injustice and the Church

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  32 ratings  ·  11 reviews
At a time when barbarous acts of terrorism are being committed globally and society ponders whether the perpetrators are legitimate religious adherents, Marcus Paul makes an unflinching and counter-cultural examination of some of the worst periods in the Church's history.

Were the crusades entirely inexcusable religious wars? Was the Inquisition the bloody and sadistic "Bla
Published March 1st 2016 by Sacristy Press

To ask other readers questions about The Evil That Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil That Men Do

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of The Evil That Men Do: Faith, Injustice and the Church
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A challenging and brilliant book! What a good idea. This book will likely get you thinking and rethinking. A perfect mixture of good sense, reason, history and passion. I would recommend it to anyone.
Oli Burtchaell
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extremely insightful and thought provoking. A fantastic read!
Nick Benson
Shelves: christian
One of the things I enjoyed about this book was the number of hares it started that demand to be followed up.
The starting point is the quotation from Julius Caesar, ‘The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interrèd with their bones.’ The thesis is that what is true for the individual can be true of an institution and that the reputation of the Church, indeed of Christianity, has suffered because whilst there is public eagerness to pounce on any scandal, mean mindedness or cruelty
Michael Cavaghan-Pack
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a lucid and accessible account of the history of the evil and injustices perpetrated by the Church over the centuries. Its great virtue is that it is balanced and therefore credible. It is not a litany of horrors designed simply to discredit Christianity but a careful consideration that sets what is discreditable in its historical context. It also recognises that over the years the Church far from being a destructive force has been a force for much good, and that a great deal of what we ...more
John
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want an intellectual read that teaches you a lot and yet turns pages itself, buy this book. It's informative, insightful and partial - which I think a lot of people will like as you could write a thousand pages on this. A definite one for the bookshelf and Marcus' style is flowing, engaging and persuasive. Saw this book highly reviewed / recommended in a magazine I get and I can safely say it did not disappoint. It gives you a historical overview which is an added bonus.
Naomi Van Beek
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastically educational read! I was looking to find out more about the history of the church and I couldn't have chosen a better book to do so. Superb detail, very throughly researched and cross referenced, insightful and thought provoking. An unbiased account that I would highly recommend to anyone.
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miles Quick
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and refreshing antidote to cynicism which will be approachable and appealing to a wide range of readers. A remarkable achievement.
Grace Hutson
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, thought provoking book, I highly recommend it!
Abbi Graham
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly well-researched and fascinating read!
Sean Crowley
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read into fascinating history that I did not know about
Chloe Astin
Jul 15, 2019
Miles Quick
Mike
Dec 15, 2016

• Katharina and Martin Luther: The Radical Marriage of a Runaway Nun and a Renegade Monk
  • Can Science Explain Everything?
  • Compassionate Jesus: Rethinking the Christian's Approach to Modern Medicine
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • A Matter of Trust (Mia Quinn, #1)
  • A Deadly Business (Mia Quinn, #2)
  • Lethal Beauty (Mia Quinn, #3)
  • The Rancher's Surprise Daughter (Colorado Grooms, #1)
  • Eros Defiled
  • A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World
After taking two degrees in English (with some history) I have spent my career engaging with sixth formers and students in three continents and six schools. In 2016 Sacristy Press published my book, 'The Evil That Men Do' and this year I have articles on Lawrence of Arabia and John Buchan coming out. I am also writing about American history. As well as writing and reading I enjoy climbing and expl ...more

News & Interviews