Start by marking “The Murder That Never Was (Forensic Instincts #5)” as Want to Read:
The Murder That Never Was (Forensic Instincts #5)

The Murder That Never Was

(Forensic Instincts #5)

Given the opportunity, would you assume someone else's identity and leave your old life behind? A serendipitous crossing of paths between Lisa Barnes, a down-on-her-luck job seeker, and Julie Forman, a personal trainer to an Olympic hopeful, forever changes the course of both women's lives. One winds up dead and the other finds herself a fugitive, hiding behind one lie aft ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by Bonnie Meadow Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Murder That Never Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder That Never Was

Dinah Browne
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a great book, but I didn't realize it was book #5 in this series until I finished.
Diane Dachota
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have read several of Kane's Forensic Institute novels and the stories are starting to get old. In this one, a woman named Julie Forman works as a coach and trainer at a gym where a hopeful Olympic bound athlete named Shannon trains in gymnastics. Julie meets Lisa Barnes, a former foster child, and now a woman desperate for a job and a home. The two women resemble each other to a huge degree. Julie gives Lisa a job and lets her live with her until a few days later when Lisa sees Julie shot and ...more
Kathleen
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Murder That Never Was, the fifth book in the Forensic Instincts Series, author Andrea Kane weave a riveting psychological thriller that features identity theft, performing enhancement drugs, a drug cartel, a megalomaniacal research scientist, emotional issues involving the foster care program, and an unorthodox criminal investigative team who is determined to protect their client.

The Murder That Never Was is an action packed and fast paced gripping tale that transports the reader to Chica
Viva
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
"The credulity is stretched too high!" is the title of my review. This book was easy to read and get into. But too many things didn't make sense and the author didn't know enough about the technical stuff to write about it.

Sorry, but my review is going to be a list of things I didn't like about this book.
- There were too many characters in it. I didn't read the other Forensic Instincts books so maybe they served purpose in the other books.
- Writing was too wordy. Taking 5-6 pages to get a meetin
Darcy
As this one started out I wondered how the crime in Chicago would connect to our crew in NY, there didn't see like there could be a connection at all. I liked that Emma was the one that connected with the case, that she could see herself in things and wanted to do better by Lisa.

I didn't fault Lisa for her actions. With the knowledge that she had she made the best decision she could and in a way honored the person who was hurt. I was glad that while Lisa was scared out of her wits she had a fri
Kari
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, for-review
The Murder That Never Was is the latest exciting thriller in the Forensic Instincts series. I am always blown away at how an author can keep coming up with exciting and intriguing ideas for the characters in a long standing series. In this one, the group is pulled into a case at random, but quickly learn that there is more to it than a case of mistaken identity.

I loved the story. I loved how the team came together to make sure Lisa and Miles were safe. I also loved how the team rallied around E
Kristen Spate
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Andrea Kane has a new and rabid fan! The mark of a great book for me, is one that grabs me from page one and takes me on a great ride. Andrea accomplished that in spades!

This book contained so many elements and personalities that I am left in awe. When you start with the puzzle put together and then have it disassembled and reassembled with such artistry....well, I can not wait for her next book!
If you enjoy intrigue, international players and spunky smart heroes, this book is for you! Enjoy!
Sue Hittle
Jul 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really tried, but, I just could not get into this book. I got half way through and gave up. Even tried to skim read the last bit. Disappointed!!!
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 star rating.

My first by author Kane. Thanks to Amazon Vine program for the opportunity to read and review. I thought this was quite good. This impressive and skilled team at Forensic Instincts had me invested in the story from the get-go. I took longer than usual to get this finished and found myself resenting that I didn't have much time to read these last few weeks. A few pages at night and I was nodding off, but not for lack of interest, just plum tuckered out from Christmas prep and ca
Lewestover
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
If the author would write less about the sex life of the FI team I would like her books much, much more. So much detail is NOT needed!
Having said that, this book was quite intense with a rather complex premise. The story line was
totally believable, given today's society.
Kathleen Kelly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Murder that Never Was I have been a fan of Andrea Kane but have not read anything by her in a long time. When offered a chance to read The Murder That Never Was, I found the title very intriguing. A psychological thriller about switched identities, with an underlying topic of the foster system, which I have come to learn a lot about lately, as a family member is currently fostering.

Julie Forman, a personal trainer meets and befriends Lisa Barnes when Lisa interviews for a job at her gym. Ju
Paraphrodite
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3 stars. An OK read. I have to say though that I'm finding the FI team just a bit too arrogant with their belief of their own superiority.
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fifth in Forensic Instincts series

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:

This is the first book in this series I've read by author Andrea Kane and it won't be the last.

The action started right from the first in this exciting thriller and didn't let up all the way through.

I really enjoyed getting to know the different characters on the Forensic Instincts (FI) team and what a motley crew they are. I especially liked Ryan, the tech nerd, and Emma, newest on the team that came from a life of foster homes and used t
Jim
Jul 29, 2016 marked it as to-read-tier-3
My wife is reading this . This may be a new author to read for her . Note to self check at NPL
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Good. Not great.
Chris Conley
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Forensic Instinct team is a fascinating group of investigators. They get into some fascinating cases and use a variety of skills to resolve them. This is a well-done series.
Amy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and I loved this story, but I felt that some of the writing could have used some finessing. I love Andrea Kane's novels, from her early historical romance to these new FI suspense books. And I feel like her writing has generally gotten better and better over the years, but something in this one felt more like her earlier books. It was still a great story and I liked the characters, but sometimes I felt she was "telling" the reader things that we could already see and deduce fo ...more
Suzie Weber
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lisa finally gets a job, Julie seeing she needs a break gets her hired at a spa/gym. She is living with Julie when she witnesses Julie shot down in cold blood outside their apartment. Well Lisa has some secrets too and coincidentally Lisa and Julie look a lot alike. So Lisa assumes Julie’s identify and flees Chicago to New Jersey. The killer was after Julie, so now Lisa is in danger assuming her identity.
Ironically both Emma and Ryan get attached to Julie/Lisa and bring FI into play.
Premise: Jul
Elise
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lisa, a former foster kid who was involved with drug running is taken in by Julie, a physical trainer who bears a striking resemblance to Lisa. When Lisa sees Julie gunned down in broad daylight, Lisa assumes the bullets were meant for her, and it was a case of mistaken identity. Making a split second decision, Lisa trades wallets with Julie and takes her identity. Unfortunately for Lisa, Julie was the intended target, and Lisa's choice places her in more danger.

I really wanted to like this boo
Teresa in ohio
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
I justt discovered this series and devoured them.:-) This time the author failed to delivered.

It isn't even a case since the client didnt hire them. Somehow Emma stumbles across this story snd gets the team to investigate it.

I don't enjoy stories that have the Mafia in it
or drug cartel in it.

Most series have a dud and for me it is this book. I still love the series and recommrmd it.
Gloria
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my 1st book in the series to read. It kept me interested yet i found it unbelievable at times; starting with the premise that someone could seemingly so easily take over another person's identity (after she was shot dead) when they had only met a week before and coincidentally looked like that other person and truly had little in common. i did enjoy the book, lots if suspense and twists
Sue
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Should be 3.5- Another in the FI (Forensic Instincts) series with- Casey and her usual bunch of employees- Claire, Ryan, Marc, Emma, Patrick and sometimes associated experts- Aidan and Hutch. There is more character developement of the team members and the story is convoluted enough- a lookalike person takes the place of a murdered woman, and there is a Russian angle, sports drugs connection, and also a trace back to Emma's Chicago foster system roots. This is a very quick entertaining read.
T.M. Carper
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Series is best read in order to keep track of who is who and the various relationships.

I will say the formatting gave me a headache a bit since page numbers and running headers on the beginning of chapters threw me off.

The story itself was good and kept me curious. It was a multi-layered conspiracy with twists and seemingly unrelated turns. Looking forward to the next FI book.
Julie Hoffpauir
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow....Great book!!!! I really enjoyed this book basically because Emma and Aidan had such extended parts in the story. It was full of suspense and action which is what I love most in the books I read. Awesome!!!!
Sandra
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
lots of stories in this one. Lots of lives intertwined. I love the way the author has worked in this new permanent character into the Forensic Instincts group. Young and given a chance to change her life in a positive way, she is a good addition to the central characters. liked this book a lot.
Louise Pledge
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how good it felt to be reading another Forensic Instincts book. Andrea Kane can't write them fast enough to please me. The characters are so familiar and don't change from story to story.

R rated, however, for language and sex
Cathi
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the Forensic Instinct series by Andrea Kane. All the characters are interesting and the plots are fun, suspenseful and believable. The team works together well and it is obvious that they care for each other -this is not just a job for them. I plan to read more of this series.
Candace
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, though maybe not as captivating as the rest of the ones I've read in this series.
Simei
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Felt like a tv novel with the drama of the FI investigators' lives. Probably not a good idea to have started this...series? in the middle. Wouldn't read again
Suzy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
another good one. i am enjoying the forensic instincts

• The Lawman's Bride
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Song of Unmaking
  • Body Work
  • Ride A Painted Pony
  • Dark Seduction (Daughters of Myth #2)
  • Don't Say A Word
  • Torn   (Randall Shane, #3)
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • The Nameless Dead
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Muhammad Ali: Unfiltered
  • Beautiful Boys (Beautiful Bastard, #1, #2, #3)
  • A Cold Day in Hell (Bayou #9)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes
  • Damn Him to Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #2)
Coming in March 2019 from Andrea Kane: DEAD IN A WEEK.

Andrea Kane is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-nine novels, including fifteen psychological thrillers and fourteen historical romantic suspense titles. With her signature style, Kane creates unforgettable characters and confronts them with life-threatening danger. As a master of suspense, she weaves them into excit

Forensic Instincts (7 books)
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • The Stranger You Know (Forensic Instincts #3)
  • The Silence That Speaks (Forensic Instincts, #4)
  • A Face to Die for (Forensic Instincts #6)
  • Dead in a Week (Forensic Instincts #7; Zermatt Group Thriller #1)