Start by marking “Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice

Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice

With her previous bestsellers, Dr. Brene Brown helped us realize that vulnerability is the birthplace for trust, belonging, joy, creativity, and love. Yet a willingness to be vulnerable means accepting that life will sometimes knock us down. Where do we find the strength to get back up? In her research for her breakthrough book Rising Strong, Brene discovered a key factor. ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2017 by Sounds True

Start your review of Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
Calista
I am a huge Brene Brown fan. Her work is powerful and it lands beneath the surface. I think I need to buy her books and simply study them and put them into practice.

She has a story in the book about the fact the our brain gives us a chemical hit whenever we make up a story about an event. We can deal with something as long as we have this black and white view of an unknown event. I am so stuck in this way of being right now.

Her story. A co-worker comes out of a meeting and sighs at you. That
Mary
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am firmly in the camp of "everything Brene Brown touches turns to gold". As a therapist, I'm always equal parts reading her works to manage/process/recreate my own ish (so that I can be ready and able to guide my clients through theirs) and feeling like I'm attending the best, most heart-driven CEUs ever. While I think her Power of Vulnerability audio class is the best of her book-addendum audio recordings (this one was really good, but that one is spectacular), this one was still spectacular ...more
Leah Nadeau
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great spiritual and life advice. Audio CD on Brene Brown talking and Q/A's about her book Rising Strong.

Notes:
- Spiritual practice is doing something that is the feeling belonging and connected, arts, music, leading from heart, groundedness, be apart of something bigger than us
- We are hard wired for a story, we rely on stories for how, when, and why to protect ourselves. How we teach, express ourselves, gather, share of belongingness, how we connect with people
- Rising strong is
Liza Fireman
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love Brené Brown. She is especially good in her live versions (this one and in The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage). She is funny, witty, smart and honest, sometimes sad and painful. A whole (and a whole hearted) human being. I love her live talks much more than her books that are slower and more repetitive.

Do not take spirituality as a negative thing (I might, that's why I would like to point it out). She is not talking about religion or
Rachel
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Brene Brown is so smart. She is so human and real and relatable. This was no different. She spoke to me and about me. She is captivating. She visited some ideas from Rising Strong and SFD (“stormy” first drafts when reacting to something.) After I was done with this I felt rejuvenated and also wanted to be better about giving other people the benefit of the doubt and think more about if people were genuinely doing the best they could with life in general and to think about people that way. I ...more
Julia
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
I actually listened to this twice in succession because the truth I found here was visceral. Brene says, "I'm a person of faith because I believe in people." Me, too. Spirituality is that we believe in our connectedness as humans. I believe in God and I believe that our connection to each other is the whole reason we are here. I have found myself more open and kind to all people after listening to this book (it's audio only, but available through the library). masterful.
Lindsay Nixon
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a recorded motivational speech with a few helpful ideas to ponder such as it’s better to assume everyone is doing the best They can (so don’t judge them)

Update (from second helping)

"Spirituality - Recognizing and celebrating that we are inextricably connected to one another by a power greater than all of us and that our connection to that power, and to one another, is grounded in love and belonging." <-- As much as we would like to be different and separate sometimes, we just can’t
Kristen Doyle
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice is an audiobook only follow up to Brene Brown’s bestselling book, Rising Strong. If you are looking for some quick nuggets of practical wisdom from Brene Brown, I can’t recommend this audiobook enough. Brown digs in deep to talk about spirituality, vulnerability, grace, acceptance and more. This audio was just what I needed to hear at exactly the right time, and will be a resource I definitely turn to again and again.
Margaret
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most influential book I’ve listened to in a very long time. I listened to it and immediately listened again. Brené Brown has become one of my favorite authors and Ted Talk speakers. Smart, funny and brutally honest, her books are incredibly powerful. Seeing her live is a new addition to my bucket list.
Jennifer Lucking
I need to listen to this at least once a month for the rest of my life. “Rising Strong” is my favourite (so far) of Brown’s books, and this 3 hour lecture on the spiritual practice of rising strong and reckoning and rumbling with our stories is GOLD.
Natalie Park
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I love, love, love this talk and the audio is fabulous. I would give it 10 stars if possible. It is something I will go back to and listen again and again as there are so many lessons and aha moments.
R
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook book. So much goodness. I need it all to seep in to my being.
Kate
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very much needed that today. And now I want to find some empathy cards that read “I feel with you” rather than “I feel for you”.
Jasan Selaty
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
For some reason, I assumed this would be from more of a Christian perspective, and it kinda sorta was, but mostly not. There was some bits of good advice and thought provoking questions, but this was the first book of hers I’ve read, and likely the last.
Erin Donaldson
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Hilarious and poignant. This is a great LIVE Audio of researcher Brene Brown giving a talk about Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice. I laughed out loud so many times my face hurt and was near tears and goosebumps with the revelations and stories she tells. She illustrates and is able to craft stories so perfectly to get the points across. From dealing with your SFD (Sh*tty First Draft), reckoning and actually acknowledging the emotions your feeling, and rumbling with them until we get to a ...more
alisonwonderland
I think this is only available as a recording of a talk that Brown gave - so it's not really a book - but since I checked it out from my county library and it is here on GoodReads, I'm counting it!

I read - and loved - Rising Strong earlier this year, and in this talk, Brown reiterates the process, illustrating it with some of the same as well as some different examples, and she talks about how to make it a spiritual practice. I found her insights very helpful and want to continue thinking about
Andee Marley
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-therapy
Something about hearing Brene's actual voice and to hear her power has dazzled me. I love love love audio books and presentations by the author! I get so much more intuitive, cosmic information about them! Loved the presentation, can't wait to read and hear more.

After listening to this, my decision to study Art Therapy in Graduate School is 100% validated. What she is talking about: the future + people + therapy + creativity... I absolutely want to be there and SHOW UP
Sara
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
This isn't so much an audio book as it is a recording of a lecture and Q&A session with Brene Brown. It had all of the good things of Brown's Ted Talks - and more. It was a great way to spend a short time. I'll likely listen to it again sometime in the future.
Maritza Valle
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listen to. Totally accessible. Super fun. Sort of like listening to a long TED talk followed by a podcast. Strongly recommend for those healing from hard things or just wanting to learn how to grow and flourish intentionally.
yenni m
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will listen to this over and over for the rest of my time. With one listen I've been inspired, I've learnt, I've laughed and cried and changed for the better. Brené Brown as required reading for all would be a total blessing. It's all about love.
Amanda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Wow. I am blown away by this three-parter on spirituality and rising strong, facing your fears and emotions and courageously being compassionate. I want all my friends to listen to or read this, because the lessons are great and the growth I’ll experience from it will be too.
Shelley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this and learnt so many things! Definitely buying the book!!
Shevon Quijano
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brene Brown. Wow. Required reading for all humanity right here.
Sienna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sienna by: Hoopla
Love her honesty, perspective, & humor. A great listen.
Ann Single
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More Brene brilliance. Practical, candid and always witty. The S****y First Draft is a wonderful tool.
Regina Ross
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bucket list add: See Brene speak in person some day.
Lesa
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how she keeps it real!
Emily Dillon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and incredibly simple.

Expect goodness first, spread peace, have a positive vibration.
LM
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
#allthestars Brene’s work is powerful
Jacqueline
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
Exactly what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Becoming Nobody: The Essential Ram Dass Collection
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Be Calm: Proven Techniques to Stop Anxiety Now
  • The Untethered Soul at Work: Teachings to Transform Your Work Life
  • Gratitude Daily
  • Always Eat Left Handed: 15 Surprising Secrets For Killing It At Work And In Real Life
  • The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • The Life-Changing Power of Gratitude: 7 Simple Exercises that will Change Your Life for the Better. Includes a 3 Month Gratitude Journal. (Change your habits, change your life Book 6)
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer Self-Defeating Behavior
  • Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
  • Relationship Rx: Insights and Practices to Overcome Chronic Fighting and Return to Love
  • WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Imaginary Corpse
  • Making Friends with Your Mind: The Key to Contentment
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work. Brené is also a visiting professor in management at The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of