Start by marking “White Sand, Volume 1 (White Sand, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Sand, Volume 1 (White Sand, #1)

White Sand, Volume 1

(White Sand #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  8,944 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
A brand new saga of magic and adventure by #1 New York Times best-selling author Brandon Sanderson.
On the planet of Taldain, the legendary Sand Masters harness arcane powers to manipulate sand in spectacular ways. But when they are slaughtered in a sinister conspiracy, the weakest of their number, Kenton, believes himself to be the only survivor. With enemies closing in
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 160 pages
Published June 21st 2016 by Dynamic Forces

·  8,944 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews

Start your review of White Sand, Volume 1 (White Sand, #1)
Petrik
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

According to the postscript I read in Arcanum Unbounded and the intro in this comic, White Sand is a graphic novel adaptation of Sanderson’s first novel (unpublished) of the same name which he finished back in 1999. I wouldn’t say I ‘m a fan of graphic novel medium but I am a huge fan of manga so reading a sequential art is not something new to me. However, as enjoyable as this adaptation is, this graphic novel actually killed some of Sanderson’s usual strength.

For example, dividing a
TS Chan
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-owned
This is my first time reading graphic novels. Being so used to reading for narratives and details, this medium took a bit of time to get into as a lot of it is graphically represented as opposed to written. It took me a mere hour or so to finish what was supposed to be one-third of the full White Sand (unpublished) novel. I'm sure there were details which I've missed and will need to spend another hour or so to appreciate the visuals. There is one particular sequence of scenes which in my mind w ...more
Sean Barrs
Brandon Sanderson writes some damn cool novels, and I’ve always felt that his ideas would be great in the realm of comic books, so it’s not surprising that his first delve into the genre shows much promise.

I spotted the first issue in Sanderson’s collection of short works Arcanum Unbound and I knew I had to read further. And I’m glad I did because the story moved forward quickly in traditional Sanderson fashion. As ever, the magic system he creates is imaginative and thoroughly explained. This t
Sandee
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading this after The Way of Kings was a mistake. The Way of King was so full of epicness that I was expecting the same from this. Unfortunately, White Sand would have to be my least favorite work of Sanderson.

White Sand is also set in the Cosmere universe, way before the events of The Way of Kings and Mistborn (two books of his I've read so far). To be honest, I was confused majority of the time while I was reading this. I did appreciate the fact that I could see this world in front of my eyes
Mel Anie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy/graphic-novel fans which are looking for easy read featuring magic and adventures
Shelves: graphic-novel
Rating: 4 stars

White Sand is a first graphic novel in the White Sand duology by Brandon Sanderson. This book strongly focuses on magic and adventures from the very beginning till the very last page.

This was my very first graphic novel I've ever read. I really liked it, although I had a little bit of a trouble to follow the story. Characters were well crafted and interesting. I was so happy to finally be able to read a book which doesn't portray those characters as annoying or reckless. I a
Connor
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bradley
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up mainly because it's Brandon Sanderson, but after I read the foreword and got a peek at the artwork, I became quite enamored.

What author wouldn't be thrilled to see his first story-love get fulfilled in a format BETTER suited to it than the original novel? Or I should say... Damn. This is Sanderson, people. He's a writer KNOWN for great magic systems and fantastic visualizations... and this IS a perfect medium for that.

And so I read it and really enjoyed the setup. You know how
Mike
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Graphic novels, a brave new world for Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, and what a world.

While Sanderson is known for his vivid world building this medium does present a bit more of a challenge for him. Graphic novels offer much less space for Sanderson's typical expansive prose. Instead it has to be built a bit more slowly with the graphics and the flow of the story. As such we do get some fun facts about this world: it seems to be tidally locked with the sun, with one side being in permanent day w
Kogiopsis
I received this title from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No external considerations went into this review - like you'd need to pay me to talk about Sanderson anyways, jeez.

I've been struggling with writing this review for well over a month now, and I think the main reason is... this is my favorite author's first graphic novel, and it took me a while to admit that I just... don't feel it's that good.

First off, the complaint I've seen from a lot of reviewers: the ar
Mitticus
3.5 sandy stars

I got this digital copy thanks to Read Now at NetGalley, but sadly the copy is not good quality -blurred and pixelated- so I think that diminesh the experience.

Well, this is not a new Sanderson book, actually is a never published old Sanderson book (before Elantris, so is in the Cosmere verse). This time, the magical system take us to a culture of Sand Masters, a divided world -darkside and lighside- , and religious fanatics. Sounds familiar?

w1a

The story is 145 pages, the rest are s
Kirsty
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I couldn't believe my luck when I was browsing NetGalley and saw this was on there, so I excitedly downloaded it and started reading instantly. I was so keen to read this, so eager and I was sadly left completely disappointed. This graphic novel promises magic and adventure, but sadly all I saw was just more battles in the sand. I had expected wonderful things from Brandon Sanderson, and I tried so hard to throw
Kaitlin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an old story which Sanderson wrote as his first ever novel. Currently it's unpublished in novel format, but this is the graphic version which came out very recently, and which I was both eager for and a little worried about. I wasn't sure how well Sanderson's story would translate to graphic medium, but it actually seems like this magic system works quite well.

We follow a young sand mage called Kenton as he tries to defy his father's wish for him not to become a Mage. All his life he's
Chris
I was given an ebook version of this graphic novel by the publisher through NetGalley.

Again here we are with Sanderson and of course the talk will go to worldbuilding. Yes, he does it again. This time it's his story and idea, but an adaptation by Rik Hoskin with art by Julius M. Gopez.

While not quite as epic or satisfying as Sanderson's novels, this story was very compelling. It was also just getting going when it was time to wrap up this first volume, but I can tell that over time this should
Calista
I thought this was pretty awesome. But why is it set in a desert. It always feels so Star Wars when something is set in a desert. Why not use a swamp? I know, they have to conserve their water. I get it.

The magic systems is so clever. I like that there was some power escalation in the story and we didn't have to wait to see a jump with our main character.

We open with a mysterious clan going through a ritual to raise and student up to a level. We learn that the student is the son of the clan le
Eric Allen
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This story has potential to be very good. Unfortunately, it seems to have lost quite a bit in translation from unpublished manuscript to graphic novel. A lot of the world building is glossed over, so the world and characters seem pretty vague, the artwork, while not bad, could be a little smoother, less rough around the edges, and there's way too much narration explaining things that would be better worked into the story if it was in a medium other than graphic novel. It just seems as though the ...more
ABookishGift Reviews (Max)
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read 1 of my Cosmere chronological extravaganza

White Sand is a series of graphic novels that are technically one story. It is set on the planet Taldain in the Cosmere, where sand mastery is this particular magic of Investiture--the ability to manipulate white sand at the cost of the manipulator's water supply. Without water, they are left to dehydrate and, therefore, their powers are wasted.

After a warring attack against the raging Kerztians, the sand masters on Dayside--the light side of the wo
Kristalia
Final rating: 3/5 stars

I know this is just a start of it, but for now it's 3 stars..

I am not really into characters, except for Khriss, and she was just cool enough for me to wait for the other two parts. Interesting world and there are many poc characters and it's like a mix of modern and fantasy at the same time.

Gooooooooorgeous art and designs though. Really gorgeous.
Fares
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75

All I can say is I wish this was a book.
It just feels too important of a story to be told in a 3 volume graphic novel.
Jenny Baker
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

Story: ★★★★☆

This is a unique story concept, although it's slightly confusing at first when you're trying to learn about the world. I wasn't expecting that big attack early on and of course, some of my new favorite characters died. Duchess Khrissalla is a strong character who is quite the fashionista! I also like Senior Trackt Ais. She's starting to grow on me. I'm still not sure what I think of Kenton. I know for sure that Drile is a jerk and probably a traitor. lol

Art: ★★★☆☆

I wasn't t
Nadine
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brandon Sanderson can do no wrong across all mediums.

White Sand is a well constructed world about a group of people who are able to manipulate sand to do as they wish, however it requires the manipulator's own water to fuel the magic. This is where Sanderson shines when it comes to magic systems and world building. He creates such amazing and interesting magic systems, but knows how to limit them in realistic ways thereby making them pragmatic and help move the plot along with an organic way.

Wh
StormblessedZeN
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sanderson
I prefer the original novel by Sanderson, as opposed to this adaptation by Rik Hoskin. Doesn't seem authentic to have Sandersons' name front and center, while the poor narration is derived from someone else. Would hate to have someone read this on the basis that its Sanderson material and then get an erroneous idea of what his actual work is like.

Having read the unpublished novel certainly curved my impression since the book has added depth, background characterizations and explains motivations
Ivan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent addition to Cosmere universe but I am not impressed.
Brandon St Mark
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
November 2017 Re-read: Still really enjoy this book the second time around! I can't wait for the second time. It's a good introductory to the cosmere, but the lack of Vol 2 (as of me writing this) kind of hinders that statement since this takes all of an hour to read. I don't know, as I type that out I think it sounds dumb but whatever. You don't have to know anything about the cosmere to read this, but it has a lot of interesting connections if you do. Maybe one of my favorite settings.

Original
Chad
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Brandon Sanderson's first novel, never before published, rewritten as a graphic novel. Our main character is Kenton, a sand mage of little power but great control. He's constantly in conflict with his father who considers him a disappointment. Two issues in, the series takes a huge turn and the Darksiders arrive who are much more technologically advanced. This is the first of 3 planned volumes. Sanderson still provides us with a highly detailed, fully realized world, it's just that it is mostly ...more
Chelsies Reading Escape
I received this graphic novel from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought the story had a unique magic system as many of Brandon Sandersons books do. The plot was interesting but I think I might have enjoyed it more in book format. The characters flaws added depth to them and I found myself rooting for them.

I didnt enjoy the art as much and I think that took away from my enjoyment of the story. I felt like the art was mediocre. The white on white made it very bland and the details
Bar Reads
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
This ARC was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
I LOVE BRANDON SANDERSON. He's a brilliant writer.
This graphic novel has a good story, but the artwork is terrible.
As much as I tried to look at the story, not the artwork, in a graphic novel I need both.
DNF 35%
Jonathan Wilson
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Not a big fan of the graphic novel format, definitely more of novel novel kind of guy. Only started really getting into the story at the very end. But I love Brandon Sanderson, love the Cosmere and will definitely get the second volume. Can't wait to see how it fits into the universe.
Angelina
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have heard so much about this author (good things)

But getting into this graphic I didn't think about the author cause I realized I can't compare a book with a graphic. (Eventhough I haven't yet read anything he wrote)

I like that Brandon explained how the skill of sand masters worked, cause the first thing I thought when I read the synopsis was: How are they doing that? His explanation made it believable for me.

I liked the mained character, he is stuborn and fights for what he wants. However,
Mark Medina
This is o.k. I would prefer a written novel. Over too quickly and not enough depth.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

First things first, I've never read anything by Brandon Sanderson (not yet, at least), so I have no idea if this compares to his novels.

As a comics, it was OK, but I wasn't awed. Possibly because the PDF version I got was kind of blurry, more certainly because the style was a bit too rough to my liking and because of some things that didn't make a lot of sense (or were missing) in hindsight when it came to world

• The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Protagonista
  • Ravine, Volume 2
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Goddess Mode, Vol. 1
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

White Sand (3 books)
  • White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)