Start by marking “Eun Na and the Phantom” as Want to Read:
Eun Na and the Phantom

Eun Na and the Phantom

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  62 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Eun Na is working hard to help her father pay off a debt to a merciless lord when she meets two very different men. One is a well-meaning noble who doesn't believe in magic. The other: a mysterious stranger who is forced to take the ethereal form of a ghost each night.

As they interact, their fates intertwine in this romantic tale about a girl and the phantom who loves her.
Published February 2nd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Eun Na and the Phantom, please sign up.
Erica
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sophia
It's Pacific Asian Heritage month so this variation on a few mystical Korean folktales grabbed my attention. The decision was all over when I spotted the dragon and the phantom references.

Eun Na and the Phantom is inspired by Korean folklore and set in a poor mountain forest village during Korea's Joseon Dynasty (14th to 19th centures). It reads like a fairytale much of the time with the occasional modern word poking out, but also sprinkled with a few Korean words and cultural references as well
Liwen
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me by surprise in a lot of ways! First of all, I don't watch Korean dramas or know much about them, but the author did a fantastic job of introducing me to a whole new world. I enjoyed how the Korean language and some of the culture (ie. clothing, food) were included in this story. The characters were well developed, and I felt for them as they struggled through their challenges. There was a little of everything—suspense, fantasy and romance—but most of all, a sense of hope throug ...more
MNJ Greenhill
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderfully sweet story, based on Korean folk tales, follows Eun Na’s struggles as she attempts to thwart a greedy landlord bent on evicting Eun Na and her family. Her kindness and loving nature attracts the landlord’s son, the local mudang and her little dragon, as well as a phantom with a dark curse. Together, they show what the power of love can accomplish.

The romance is appropriate for younger readers and Erica Laurie has created a great clean read which is hard to put down. Without a d
Denis Mcgrath
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully written story after the fashion of a Korean Folk tale. Eun Na is a virtuous young woman who supports her aging parents. When the Landlord squeezes the family for the rent of their cottage and parcel of land, Eun Na is forced to take on extra labor in the forest and finally in the Landlord’s kitchen to try and save her parents. Along the way she meets the landlord’s son and also another handsome and rich young man who rescues them from a hunter’s trap. The young man is human ...more
Shauna
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is a little gem. It kinda reads like a picture book with deliberate pacing and uncomplicated dialogue. I liked it. Different than I normally read, but enjoyable and thought provoking. A blend of the fantastical with simple farm life and a love story in its truest form.
Karyn
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story... and the dragon Mao is adorable.
Aqsa Ishaq
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it. I could not put it down and when i was forced to I kept thinking what was going to happen next.
Gracie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story. One I'd put off reading for a long time because of how young the girl on the cover looked. But it was worth reading.
It's a sweet Korean middle-grade tale with some likable and not so likable characters.
This book is written in much the same way verbal stories are told. I enjoyed the story but would have liked to see more show and less tell.
I really enjoyed the mythology in this story.
Samantha
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This read so weird. It was told almost as if it was a fairy tale, with a "Once upon a time, there was a ___ in the kingdom of ___." But then they added lots of descriptive words that sounded like it was a more modern story. And when they introduced all of the characters at once, it was very overwhelming. Not to mention the switches from perspectives done so often. Overall, it had a good plot, but a poor execution.
Darcy Oliver
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love fairy tales and legends and love stories so I really enjoyed this story. What dimmed my enjoyment was the poor proofreading (Kindle edition). Generally I would put a book down part way through because of so many mistakes. It is a credit to this story and author that I persisted. She deserved better.
Javi_starrysckeye*
Amazing! I really enjoyed reading this book! The beautiful storyline of Korean culture and fairytales was very ethereal and intriguing. I have seen a few historical kdramas and can clearly visualize the story playing out! thanks you Erica Luarie!! if you ever make a sequel to this novel, sign me up!! 10 out of10!
Kristen Kooistra
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars overall.

Eun Na and the Phantom was a completely new experience for me. A lot of people said something about Korean dramas and I've never seen one, so I can't say whether it compares or not. There was some words/names that I had nooo idea how to pronounce so I did the best I could and just substituted the english version in my head if I knew what the word meant.

This story reads like it's for a MG audience(just an observation, not an insult. I like many MG books.) but the characters are
Bertha Alicia
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never seen Korean dramas but this is the second book of Ms. Laurie I've read and I loved both of them! She based her stories on Korean myths and legends and so far she had done very well.
True love conquers all... even a blood curse.
Julie Lynch
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free. I loved this story. Chung Jo was an amazing woman with all the love for a father that someone could have, She was brave even though she was afraid. I loved the ending of this story.
Ejayen
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read this book, because it was Korean based. I thought that Eun Na's parents final moments in the book were disturbing.
Elise Edmonds
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet romance with a folk tale feel. I loved all the detail of the Korean setting - not something I'm familiar with. An enjoyable read.
Anatl
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic, romance, fantasy
Lovely and enjoyable. Pretty impressive for an indie book.
Jolyn
I really enjoyed this Korean fantasy story.

I wasn't sure what to think of Eun Na when the story began. She seemed like a dedicated daughter but rather haughty based on her initial interaction with two young men Min Jae and Tae Kyung who she met. However as the story unfolded and relationships developed, she started to relax and her character became more clear. She was indeed an incredibly hard worker who did everything in her power to help her parents and she also inspired devotion among those
Emmy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A solid start but quickly unravels. Like third chapter falls apart.

When I first started reading this, it screamed, "Immerse in me and escape!"

Eun Na is a pleasant enough and respectful young lady. Idk what a yangban is; I'm assuming like a nobleman. Her first attitude with him would have been understandable if we weren't in a fantasy Oriental village. Young ladies who are peasants just don't look down at their noses unless they're sure the person is beneath them. Although it was slightly forgi
Katy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful story, and the details of Korean culture were fascinating. Something about the prose kept the story at arm's length, more like storytelling around the campfire than immersing oneself in a novel, but that didn't detract from the lovely story. If you like fairytales and enjoy reading about other cultures, I recommend this story.
Merenwen Inglorion
I'll probably add more later with my favorite things about the other MCs (I'd feel mean calling them the side-characters, cuz I loved their story as much as Eun Na's!), but for now:

A lovely story, with both traditional and modern elements (my favorite being that not everybody dies at the end, unlike most Japanese fairy-tales! :D).

(view spoiler)
Jasmine
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received a copy from the author in exchange for a honest review.***
I've always been an avid Kdrama watcher and when I stumbled upon a story featuring Korean folklore, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I really enjoyed the fantasy elements and Korean folklore of the story, it was different. I haven't read a lot of Asian culture centered fiction novels , I enjoyed it very much. The romance development was kinda quick but none less I still liked it. I thought there would be a (view spoile
Kathryn
I was sent this book by the author in return for an honest review.

This was a cute story. I've watched a lot of Korean Dramas (and a lot of period Korean Dramas at that) so it wasn't hard for me to follow along with some of the Korean words, descriptions, etc. Also it followed some classic drama setups as well (which I definitely appreciated). I could see this book being an excellent tv drama!

I would have liked a little more character development, especially with the four main characters. I love
Mitta
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is a review of a book I read on Wattpad. It is simply charming! If you love Korean dramas as much as I do, you will love this novel. Set in the Joseon era, Erica brings you into a world of imugi dragons, mudangs, curses, talisman and an insightful glimpse into historical Korea. A fluttering romantic tale of a young girl’s steadfast love for a man whose soul has been trapped in the darkness of the night awaiting the day it can be set free. The love story is whimsical but uncomplicated. Defin ...more
S.M. Spencer
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very sweet story set in an imaginary world resembling historical Korea-- the first I've read of this type. I liked the story a lot, and think it would be a really good book for young readers - perhaps pre-teens/early teens. As an adult, while I enjoyed the story line and the mystical characters, I found the pace to be quite slow and both the dialogue and narrative to be somewhat repetitive/over explained.

I would like to say 3.5 stars, but am happier rounding up to 4 than down to 3.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(Really 3.5 rating) I read this on wattpad a while ago and don't remember a whole lot about it, so I wouldn't say it's a very memorable book, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I enjoyed it, especially the characters, a lot, and thought it was very sweet.
Gretchen
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful story revolving around four individuals whose lives become suddenly intertwined. Love, magic, curses and yes, dragons! What more could you ask for?
Suzy Geyer
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too sweet romance

I will read any book to the end, but was very disappointed in this book. It is very sweet and is very romantic, but better suited for a teenager.
Brie Donning
Dec 14, 2017
Buttercup1201
Jun 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Clean Authors: debut book 1 9 Feb 06, 2016 08:00AM

• Rose of the Oath: A Beauty and the Beast Novella (Legends of Light # 1)
  • The Wulver's Rose
  • Pocket Forest
  • The Ordinary Knight and the Invisible Princess: A Tale in Two Parts
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • A Wish Made of Glass
  • Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
  • My Dear Cold-Blooded King
  • The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)
  • Lady X's Cowboy
  • Across A Starlit Sea (Chandlers of Highclyffe Hall, #2)
  • Cowboy Legacy (Love's Legacy, #1)
  • Celebrity Superhero
  • I've Got Some Lovin' to Do: The Diaries of a Roaring Twenties Teen, 1925-1926
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Opera Macabre
  • The Cosgrove Report: Being the Private Inquiry of a Pinkerton Detective into the Death of President Lincoln
  • The Longer Bodies (Mrs. Bradley, #3)