Start by marking “A Voice from the Field” as Want to Read:
A Voice from the Field

A Voice from the Field

(The Newberg Mystery #2)

Tia Suarez jumped off the pages in Griffin's brilliant debut novel, Benefit of the Doubt. Now she takes center stage in her own story, A Voice from the Field, a gripping thriller about human trafficking in the U.S.

Gunther Kane and his white supremacist group are using forced prostitution to finance the purchase of automatic weapons. Kane snatches young women off the street

Published February 2nd 2016 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about A Voice from the Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Voice from the Field

Jay
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Voice From The Field
By Neal Griffin

Reviewed by Jay Gilbertson

It’s nearly summer, so, it’s beach reading review time. I recently zipped through a crime-thriller-novel a friend from my Eau Claire Memorial High School wrote and boy was it a page-turner! Perfect for the cottage porch, women as well as men have been devouring it and it’s a must-read for book clubs. One of the main focuses, human trafficking, is one author Griffin knows of only too well and the book is filled with many facets relate
Sojourner
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A Voice from the Field by cop-turned-author Neal Griffin is a masterfully crafted novel and the second book in the former marine turned police detective Tia Suarez series following her introduction in Benefit of the Doubt. Gritty and entertaining, the story is set in a small-town, away from the hustle-bustle of big cities, where the theme it explored might be much more rampant than one would care to imagine. The book follows Tia who is desperate to rescue a young girl from the clutches of a grou ...more
audrey
Tia Suarez is desperate to get back in the field. Scrutiny from her coworkers and her own mounting doubts makes staying on the sidelines unbearable. Tia’s first assignment back was suppose to be a gradual reentry but she quickly finds herself in a perilous position with a kidnapped victim slipping through her grasp. When her case is not only dropped but ignored she must question not only herself but those around her. A Voice From The Field is the second book in The Newberg Mystery Series.

I picke
S
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book...I hadn't read this author before so didn't realize that I wasn't starting on the first book....there were references to that story but I still got wrapped up in the characters and had to keep reading until I finished it. I think I'll go back now and read the first book.

It's very obvious that there are some triggers - human trafficing, rape - so if those are hard stops for you - this is not your book. I admit I skimmed thru most of it. It wasn't pervasive.

Joseph Hodge
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good read! I really like Tia and Ben and the rest of the Newburgh characters! Can't wait for book 3 going to start soon.
srs srs
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize there was a first book but it did not diminish my interest. It was an easy read and kept me interested.
Mitch Kemnitz
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying sophomore novel, well-paced and characterized with the ring of authenticity; I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Newberg!
Data
The little Wisconsin touches are good ... and the premise is way too plausible. this book stands on its own as a comment on how America is doing today.
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm rarely moved to tears by a book, but here I am blotting my eyes with tissue and desperately trying to remain detached and observant.

Thank you, writer, for the life lessons and reminders.
C J
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great very intense thriller but does deal with some very different subject matter. Tia is one tenacious kick ass lady detective! Love the whole Newberg crew.
Gene
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story,,,good writing,,,
the ending will blow you a way....read it you should like it
Kathy Martin
Former Marine and now Police Detective Tia Suarez stars in this book by Griffith after being introduced in BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. The story begins with her on an undercover operation looking for johns in Milwaukee when a sting goes wrong. She is almost abducted by a man who tries to drag her into a van where she sees a young Hispanic woman who is bound and gagged. Her police colleagues quickly close in but not before the driver and van disappear leaving Gunther Kane behind.

Tia figures Kane is up
Karen
Mar 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I read more than half of this book. The characters did not grab me, the topic was deeply uncomfortable. I did not think it would ever be something I could get to enjoy. I tried. I really did. I did not like anyone, or their behaviors.

Main character is dealing with alcohol and drug abuse and is a cop on leave. She is used in an undercover scheme before she has been given permission to be in the field. She is attacked and also views a person who is probably a kidnap victim. No one believes her be
Michele
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I really enjoyed the first Newberg novel, Benefit of the Doubt, so I was eager to read Neal Griffin's second book in the series. A Voice from the Field features Tia Suarez, a secondary character from Benefit of the Doubt. Tia is a really intriguing character. She is smart, strong & bold. But she is also vulnerable. I love that Neal Griffin portrays her without contradiction as fierce AND soft. And in this book we find out how very complex Tia is. The story grabs you just a few pages in and t ...more
Jamie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Newberg Series!! Mr. Griffin you are one heck of a kickass writer!! Tia Suarez is the BEST DETECTIVE around! Tia lite up 'A Voice from the Field' like the 4th of July, and I absolutely enjoyed every second of each explosion! I love how Tia is an action, get results kind of woman. She doesn't take a back seat in situations...she IS the driver!!! You go girl :)
Neal, I truly hope you are writing more Newberg stories. I want to see my 2 favorite peeps, Ben and Tia, kick more boo
The more I read about human trafficking, the more angry I get. In this cop novel, Detective Suarez is working undercover as a prostitute. When she is grabbed by two creepy men in a van, she fights them off, but manages to see a young Hispanic girl tied up in the back of the van. Her higher-ups think that she is hallucinating again (yeah, um, she had that problem in the last book after a shooting), but she wasn't. Tia becomes a one-woman mission to find the young girl and bust the selling of youn ...more
Kimberley
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of crime, but I liked the lead character and the story. I thought the struggle between bureaucracy and doing what is right seemed believable. I even recommended it to my husband since he reads more in this genre than I do.
Mainlinebooker
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Taut thriller about human trafficking involving the feisty female detective Tia Suarez. Author is a 25 year veteran of law enforcement whose deep knowledge is clearly visible across the written page .
Kat (caveat.lectors)
I loved reading about Suarez and Sawyer back at it. It can be graphic and heart breaking about what happens in the real world. It twists in different lives with their own struggles well and is written dramatically.
Rolando Barrientos
This book is superb, it will get to you in some serious social issues but that is one of the reasons why book is amazing, keeps it very real !!
Maribeth Plunk
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book with twists and turns around ever corner.
Nancy
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to see an author grow. I enjoyed Griffin's first book but really enjoyed the second one. Well drawn characters, good situations. Intriguing and nicely written. Pretty believable too (less)
Mei-Ling
Terri Fleming
I liked this very much. I would recommend it.
Marg Corjay
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, timely, characters that you can relate to. Well-developed plot and suspense.
Loretta
Apr 04, 2016
Sally
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Neal Griffin is a twenty-five year veteran of law enforcement who grew up in the kind of town he writes about. He often speaks about law enforcement issues and police ethics to civilians and fellow cops. Griffin has participated in special training at FBI headquarters. Currently serving in a department in southern California, Griffin is married and has four children. His first novel was Benefit of ...more

The Newberg Mystery (3 books)
  • Benefit of the Doubt (The Newberg Mystery, #1)
  • By His Own Hand: A Newberg Novel (The Newberg Novels, #3)