Start by marking “Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)

Sabriel (Abhorsen #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  150,436 Ratings  ·  5,948 Reviews
A tale of dark secrets, deep love, and dangerous magic!

Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the random power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Charter-Mage Abhorsen, is missing, and to find him Sabriel must cross back into that world. With Mogget, whose feline form hides a po
Published 2004 by Carlsen Verlag (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sabriel, please sign up.

Maya Well, the history behind this explained more in the sequels, but essentially Free Magic in and of itself isn't necessarily "good" or "evil", it's just…moreWell, the history behind this explained more in the sequels, but essentially Free Magic in and of itself isn't necessarily "good" or "evil", it's just pure power-and it's wielded by necromancers because I guess it's stronger, but also more unpredictable. Charter magic was created as a way to harness Free Magic into a more usable and safe method of performing magic--through symbols. I'm not necessarily sure if there's a ~reason~ per say that Free Magic makes mages sick, but it's likely to do with the fact that it's so strong that it has an adverse effect on the body. It's supposed to be almost corrosive, and that wielding it is detrimental to a person's health. Which is why necromancers resort to more and more extreme measures to stay alive. Hope I helped!(less)
Daniel I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking, do some characters induce fear in other characters, the answer is definitely yes. If you…moreI'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking, do some characters induce fear in other characters, the answer is definitely yes. If you are asking do they have the explicit power of "inducing fear," I'd still say that yeah, the main villain does that. If you are asking if some characters could induce fear in readers, well that probably depends more on the reader than the character. But...yes. The book has some intense scenes, and a lot of dead things coming to life and walking around trying to kill everyone, so it could be frightening to younger or more sensitive readers.(less)

Kat Kennedy
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of LOTR and Fantasy Genre
I picked this book up from the library and noticed stickers on the book declaring that it was part of a reading challenge here in NSW for grades 7-8.

"This book is acceptable to read for 12-13 year olds? Fuck me, can we turn around and go back to the library?" I asked my husband.

He shook his head and smiled at me. "Just try it. You never know."

"It's for twelve-to-thirteen year olds! No sex! No swearing! Minimum violence! I don't fucking think so!"

In the end, we brought it home and I sulked the wh
Lyndsey
This book really should have been exciting but I actually would have had a much better time had I just blared Monster Mash from my stereo and danced around like a zombie with chicken skin pasted to my face.

Jedi knight of the living dead!

I feel like this was probably really cool in the 90's and if I had read it then, as my pre-Harry Potter 10 year old self. I probably would have loved it. But now, my brain has descended into different forms of oblivion and I laugh voraciously at danger.

Ha-ha-h
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Very good YA fantasy! The adventures of Sabriel, an innocent young woman, and her run-ins with various types of dead, undead, once dead, sorta dead and should-be-dead people and creatures. Luckily for almost everyone concerned (except the forces of evil and the dead ones they control), Sabriel is by heritage and training a necromancer, with a fair amount of power over death. Unluckily, some of these once-dead and should-be-dead creatures have apparently killed Sabriel's father, the necromancer-i ...more
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
$1.99 on Amazon Kindle: December 21, 2017

I'll be honest: this is a book I never would have made it through unless I listened to it. TIM CURRY did a fabulous and amazing job narrating this fantasy. I suppose it's "young adult," even though the book really begins with the main character being 18. Sabriel went to an all-girl school for magic. The story picks up near the end of her education. She leaves because a messenger from her father sends her his bells and sword and she realizes he is in tro
Cait • A Page with a View
This was a really hard rating... I was nowhere near as into this story as I expected to be, yet I LOVED the last 1/4 of the book and wanted to give it 5 stars after that ending. But I can't deny most of it felt like a 3 star read. So do with that what you will.

My dad found this book at Goodwill when I was 11 and I let it sit on my shelf for years and then lost interest because I thought it was a middle grade story (it's totally not). But the publisher sent me an ARC of Goldenhand, so I figured I
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
"Yes," said Abhorsen. "I am a necromancer, but not of the common kind. where others of the art raise the dead, I lay them back to rest. And those that will not rest, I bind-or try to. I am Abhorsen . . ."

He looked at the baby again, and added, almost with a note of surprise, "Father of Sabriel."

Oh, what a wonderful little book. I loved Sabriel so much. She was so tough and just got things done.

She received a message from her father and she knew things were not right. She wasn't sure if he was
Charlotte May
“Then Sabriel hears it - the massed grinding of Dead joints, no longer joined by gristle; the padding of Dead feet, bones like hobtails clicking through necrotic flesh.”

Now, I’ll admit a book involving the dead (or zombies if you will) wouldn’t be a normal pick for me. Despite this, Sabriel kept my attention and there was plenty of magic and world building to hook me in!

Sabriel’s father is the Abhorsen - a necromancer with a difference! He returns the dead to their resting place, sends creature
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I shall write a wee bit about my thoughts on this book as I read, for I do not trust my foggy brain to keep up with them if I wait until the last minute.

*I like the juxtaposition of 20th Century (early) Ancelstierre with a medieval-esque world of the Old Kingdom. It threw me for a loop at first, how the prologue was very medieval (pre-Industrial), and the first chapter was modernesque. I was thinking, are they immortal or something? But further reading clears that up.

*I don't read as much pure f
Heather Turner
Apr 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Adult
Shelves: readandloved
Possibly one of the greatest fantasy adventures of our times, Garth Nix's first novel is a lush, magical, dark-witty adventure about a young woman's battle with the hideous Dead.

The story starts with a flashback in which a special necromancer named Abhorsen saves his baby daughter Sabriel from a creature called Kerrigor, in the spiritual river of death. Many years later, at an English-esque boarding school, Sabriel must take up her father's magical sword and bells and try to find out what has ha
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Darkangel (Darkangel Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De
More about Garth Nix...

Abhorsen (5 books)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5)
“Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?” 938 likes
“Touchstone watched, suddenly conscious that he probably only had five seconds left to be alone with Sabriel, to say something, to say anything. Perhaps the last five seconds they ever would have alone together.
I am not afraid, he said to himself.
"I love you," he whispered. "I hope you don't mind.”
276 likes