Start by marking “Inside the Tardis: The Worlds of Doctor Who” as Want to Read:
Inside the Tardis: The Worlds of Doctor Who

Inside the Tardis: The Worlds of Doctor Who

In this study of a television institution--the first to draw extensively on the full riches of the BBC Written Archives--James Chapman explores the history of Doctor Who from its origins to the present day. He shows how the series has evolved to meet changing institutional and cultural contexts, while retaining its quirky, eccentric and distinctively British characteristic ...more
Published September 19th 2006 by I. B. Tauris

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Tardis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Tardis

Yogarshi
3.5 rounded down to 3.

A semi-academic look at the TV phenomenon that is Doctor Who, this books charts the show's journey over the 50 years of its existence. I've watched all of Doctor Who since it was renewed in 2005 (the so called "Nu Who"), and some episodes from its older run ("Classic Who") - to me it was a fascinating tour through the early years of Who, from a low budget, slot filler show, to the current high budget event that it is. The author does a good job of charting thematic movement
Jaime Bridle
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and intelligent. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and highly recommend it.
katie
Mar 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: done-reading
This really didn't do much for me. I thought there'd be more thematic analysis and stuff, but no. Lots of re-telling of plotlines.
Mike Keskeys
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A concise history of the series, with overviews on the spin offs of this fantastic tv series. Definitely a must read for any Whovians out there.
Chris
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The word to describe it is "encyclopedic." As someone who only really clicked into the revival, it was a good backgrounder on the original production run. One question that the book raises but never quite answers is, why was the series cancelled? The book quotes internal memos way too sparingly-- I was hoping for an insider's look, but came away a little unsatisfied.
James
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, sf, film, essays
Very readable history of the production of Doctor Who and its cultural contexts, both within and outside the BBC. It has academic nous without the jargon, so you can feel smart without being made to feel stupid. Highly recommended to my fellow nerds.
Scott
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A Great history of the whovian universe. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was sad when I finished it.

Adam James
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, doctor-who
It's difficult to understand why James Chapman would complete SO much research for a novel that's essentially a Doctor Who episode guide. Have you ever wanted to know what every episode of Torchwood is about? Well, you're in luck! Because James Chapman dedicates like 20 pages to summarizing almost every episode. Have you ever wanted an inside look at the individual ratings for a mildly popular Doctor Who spin-off show The Sarah Jane Adventures? Well Chapman's got 'em!

While Inside the TARDIS is a
Sammy
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A very thorough and well-researched history of "Doctor Who", from 1963 to 2005. Chapman looks at both real-world change - how the series evolved to suit different eras and audiences; how public opinion of the series veered so wildly over time; the cultural, practical, and ideological changes to the programme - as well as narrative change, namely how the series fares academically and structurally over time.

This is not THE definitive work on "Doctor Who" by a long shot, nor does it intend to be. M
Elisabeth
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fandom, non-fiction
A thorough and easy-to-read history of the television series, mostly from the BBC's own written archives. The author is a fan, but generally keeps the opinionating to a minimum and explores events and the show itself from multiple perspectives. Audience research and other semi-scholarly topics are discussed without descending into dullness like some authors I could mention. Overall, this book gives an excellent overview, as much as can be done, of how the show came into existence, how it evolved ...more
Irene Bowie
The first half of the book, discussing the classic series was much stronger than the latter half, which focused on the new series.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in finding out more about the early years of Doctor Who, especially if (like me) they've only been casual viewers and need plot lines discussed along with the analysis.

If your looking for a thoughtful commentary on the new series, I'm afraid to say this isn't it. Maybe this book was just written to soon after the new series
Morgan Metcalf
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Whovians
Shelves: doctor-who, nonfic
Bought this book at Blackstone in Oxford, UK while there on a school trip. As an obsessed Whovian I found the book to be a very well written and intriguing history. Also, when writing a theme paper for school on Doctor Who's influence on western civilization in Europe, this book was immensely helpful and provided many useful resources. I highly recommend it for anyone with a vested interest in Doctor Who.
Adam
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable look at the history of the Doctor Who series contextualized against the internal politics of the BBC and the external politics and culture of British society.
Robin
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Only for Dr Who fans really
Redruth1955
Jul 28, 2009 is currently reading it
A gift from my little friends across the street.
Shannon Appelcline
Although the author gets too pompous from time-to-time, there's quite a bit to like as he breaks down the several cultural periods of the Doctor Who show.
Iain Parkes
Jun 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ian Mcardell
Quite in-depth, loses focus one the BBC Cavesham archives aren't a resource post 1980 and seems to fall into some familiar theories.
Paul Doody
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the very best non-fiction books about Doctor Who tells the story of how the programme was made, with particular focus on the politics within the BBC that almost scuppered the show.
Diane
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
3 Stars = Okay. I liked the book. It was worth reading.
Ellie Loredan
Jan 07, 2015
Tim Horwood
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author with this name

James Chapman is Professor of Film Studies at the University of Leicester. He has written several books on the history of British popular culture, including work on cinema, television and comics.

He attended Wales High School during the 1980s. He took his BA (History) and MA (Film Studies) at the University of East Anglia and then undertook his doctoral r