Start by marking “50 Sad Chairs” as Want to Read:
50 Sad Chairs

50 Sad Chairs

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is an awesome work by Acrobat / Photographer Bill Keaggy, who witnesses tired and tossed chairs in downtown St. Louis. Each image is a mixed bag of forlorn and funny, a veritable commentary on our culture of consumption (at least as it relates to chairs). Have a look. And you ll soon notice: sad chairs are everywhere.
Published June 1st 2008 by Blue Q Books (first published March 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Sad Chairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Sad Chairs

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Nothing but Numbers
997 books — 160 voters
Extreme Ironing by Phil ShawWhat Bird Did That? by Peter HansardHow to Sharpen Pencils by David ReesToilet Paper Origami on a Roll by Linda  WrightHow to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack by Chuck Sambuchino
Oddities
16 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-laughter
oh what a sad book! i feel so badly for these chairs, but the captions make me want to laugh. it is so conflicting! connor never told me how many homeless chairs there are in missouri! i would love to see more volumes of these, for all the states. my home state would have the tiniest chairs, like dollhouses.
Charlie George
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like to personify objects
Recommended to Charlie by: karen
Shelves: humor
The cover photos are outstanding. It's so serious, the loathsome state of these chairs. It makes me want to don a Hazmat suit and sit in them for a while, just to ease their psychic pain.
Michael
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We can finally bid “Goodnight” to Goodnight Moon and advise those damn Ducklings to waddle on out of here. 50 SAD CHAIRS is the children’s book hit of the year! Jam packed with such perennial kid-faves as “#08 Prolapse” and “#23 Soixante Neuf,” there’s little need for a slinky, Wii, nor Froebel Block set to occupy the little one’s time.

My wife and I gifted this to some close friends of ours who once dwelled within the well-represented Tower Grove neighborhood. Eliciting a mere shrug, none of us
Austin Kleon
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The chairs are sad, yes, but they're also funny. I'm tempted to call this a cartoon book -- the captions matched with the photographs make perfect punchlines. A great gift book -- and it fits in your pocket!
Jes
May 05, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Marty
1) Can't wait to get at this one. I hope it is as good at the book about long lost grocery lists. Currently fighting the urger to add Bill as my "Friend".
Googoogjoob
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
50 photos... of sad chairs. You get what you pay for.

They're good photos. They have evocative captions which give these sad chairs a sort of anthropomorphizing dignity.

The one drawback: this is a tiny goddamn book. It's like 3-4" square. The promo website has example pages from the book which are larger, even on this tiny laptop screen, than the actual physical book.

What can you do, tho.
Suzanne Fox
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four stars mostly because it skewed my grading curve to give a tiny book of photos like this five, but it's thoroughly delightful and deliciously well done...and these poor chairs have far more personality than many a novel protagonist. (Just sayin'.)
Jessica
Apr 19, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Jessica by: David Kowalski
Shelves: art, nonfiction
David recommended it (sight unseen) and it definitely looks like my kind of read!
Looking forward to seeing a copy.
sergio magaña andaluz
muy bueno... las imágenes reflejan al 100% la expresión que busca cada toma... pero es mas que nada un libro poco común e interesante
Randall
Jamie
May 07, 2012
Aaron Belz
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable. This is the St. Louis I know and love.
Brian Shaw