Start by marking “The Visitors Book” as Want to Read:

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  427 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Visitors Book
ebook
Published November 1st 2016 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Visitors Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visitors Book

Bionic Jean
I read this book by accident. Some of the best discoveries of authors who are new to me happen that way. Sadly, this is not one of those occasions. The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories by Sophie Hannah, published in 2015, was a disappointment.

I could have left well alone, but I like a good ghost story, and when three ghost stories were read on the radio, in the dark chilly depths of an English winter, it was too good to miss. The first seemed OK, but a bit dull. Little did I know that it wo
Fiona MacDonald
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Exceedingly clever little snapshots into the terrifying supernatural, precisely and warmly written by with wonderful Sophie Hannah. I think she's actually best for ghost stories. Try 'The Orphan Choir' for another eerie chill.
Figgy
Actual rating 3.5

Within these pages you will find four stories, each with a slightly supernatural twist.

Victoria Scase's boyfriend has a visitors book in his small apartment. A visitors book that bothers her on a level she can't quite understand, but which her boyfriend is challenging her to sign.
He doesn't sound angry. He sounds bored, as if it doesn't matter to him; he'd quite like to win the argument but he isn't emotionally invested in it. It makes me feel uneasy. So does the way he avoids m
Stephen
Some of the stories enjoyed but the others was on the fence about but overall enjoyed the ghost/thriller of the whole book
Lynda Dickson
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Shelves: adult
This is a collection of four short (really short) stories.

In "The Visitors Book" our narrator has a philosophical argument with her boyfriend about the pretentiousness of his visitors book. But why is it so important to him?

In "The Last Boy to Leave" Jen and Greg host a birthday party for their son in their family home. But after all the guests have left, one boy remains. Where are his parents?

In "Justified True Belief" Suzie suffers from bad neck pain and thinks she's seen a ghost. Are the two
Renita D'Silva
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Sophie Hannah. Love these stories. Real gems.
Lewerentz
Bof... pas terrible ; je suis déçue et ce n'est pas encore avec ce livre-là que je suis convaincue du talent de Sophie Hannah. La première nouvelle, après un démarrage long et limite ennuyant, est bien. La seconde m'a pas mal plus aussi malgré une fin abrupte. Les deux dernières ne m'ont pas du tout plu.
Stephanie Ward
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

'The Visitors Book' is a deliciously creepy collection of short stories that readers will devour in a matter of hours. I normally don't read short stories because it never feels like enough time to really develop deep characters or intricate plot lines - especially since some of my favorite genres are thrillers and mysteries. There never seems to be the right amount of space to give these kinds of stories the scope they deserve, in my opinion. I decided to give this collection a try sim
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly quick read, all four are short ghost stories, nothing special or memorable.
Steve Daykin
All these stories start well, in crisp and clear prose. But their endings came with a twist that underwhelmed.
Suzy
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat little gem, beautifully presented, and each story gave me the shivers. Perfect for a public holiday full of reading time.
widyarini u
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short quite chilling book
Sara
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of short stories, I can't wait to read more from this author :)
Nicki
I'm giving up as I put this collection down a while ago and haven't felt the urge to pick it up again. I normally enjoy short stories but these felt like there was something missing from them.
Margot McGovern
A good ghost story is hard to find, and a truly chilling contemporary ghost story near impossible. Ironically, in Michelle de Krester’s Springtime: A Ghost Story (Allen and Unwin, 2014), a character explains that we are, in fact, post-ghost:

"Do you know this idea that electricity put an end to ghost stories? People stopped seeing ghosts when rooms were properly lit … The way stories were written changed around that time. Ghost stories work up to a shock, but the modern form of the short story is
Suad Shamma
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2017
This was a quick book to get through, with only 4 short stories to read. I liked all of them well enough, although one or two gave me the heebie-jeebies more than the rest. They weren't your typical ghost stories, all of them starting out in normal settings, with people having normal conversations with subtle insertions of ghosts, that you sometimes miss it completely and at other times feel the small hairs at the back of your neck rise.

One such story was the “Last Boy to Leave”, which really p
Tina
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a bit hit and miss to be honest. A couple of the stories I really loved and some of the others left me scratching my head wondering what I had just read. I think that The Visitors Book story was the best one in the book. It was a really quick read although I did give up on the last story.
Mel
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of paranormal short stories, very enjoyable. Each story had a likeable protagonist, and I liked that they took place in a realm of possibility - making them that little bit more creepy! I enjoyed them all but especially "All the Dead Mothers of my Daughter's Friends" - I gasped out loud at the end - didn't see that coming at all!
Roisin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Creepy, quick read. My favourite story being 'All The Dead Mothers Of My Daughter's Friends' closely followed by 'Justified True Belief'
Andrea
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice spooky short stories. Great bedtime reading. Or not.
Lena
A quick read with four short ghost stories. They were ok.
Kat
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I found these short stories quite predictable. This is the first time I've read anything by Sophie Hannah, though, and I did like her style; I'd definitely give one of her novels a go.
Gloria
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Visitors Book :And Other Stories' is only 106 pages and tells 4 supernatural stories.
Although the stories are short, they are very well told and perfectly pitched.
Usually I am not a fan of short stories - preferring to read a book with depth - where the story slowly develops. I was reading a book with over 600 pages and wanted a book that I could read in-between 'sittings'.
The Visitors Book was perfect. Stories were of the right length too read when I had 10 minutes free time and I was sur
David
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was short. So, it had that going for it.

Actually the premises (premisees? premiseseses?) of the 4 short stories all had me intrigued, but none of them ended with any satisfaction or twist that surprised you. There were twists. They were just lame.

Included in the book is an excerpt from one of the author's novels, and again, it seemed interesting, but I'd hesitate to read it after the disappointment from this collection. On the other hand, maybe if given a full book to work through an id
brettlikesbooks
four smart, shivery little ghost stories + packs a spooky punch in a slim volume
👻
“The second thing I notice about the woman waiting to cross the road is that the roots of her teeth are visible and blackened where they meet the gum...The friend, the listener, is considerably more attractive. How could she not be, when the speaking woman is a ghost?
Which was the first thing I noticed about her.”
👻
instagram book reviews @brettlikesbooks
Arzu
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt let down by this collection because I expected a lot more from an author who has had a hand at writing Poirot. I found the stories quite dull. I gave the book 2 stars only because I have been struggling to finish a book in a while and this was a nice 'boost' to get me back into reading, rather than dreading it. Before writing her off as a writer I will give one of Sophie Hannah's novels a try but I was extremely disappointed.
Suzanne
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve ever wondered what a 21st-century Shirley Jackson’s stories would be like, read this book.

If you don’t know who Shirley Jackson is and you love supernatural fiction, I have some follow-up questions, but go read this first.
Patricia
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the "pocket book" version of this book and it was an interesting collection of common scenarios with a paranormal spin. I enjoyed the reveal of the twist on most of these and would love to read more of these kinds of stories from this author.
Dana
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Well written but not a lot of substance to these short stories - rather strange
Helen Lobel
Very quick read. Surprising and curious short stories, but nothing I'd call scary. A bit of a disappointment.
  • Silent Nights: Christmas Mysteries
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • Identity Theft and Other Stories
  • Edgewise
  • The Fourth Science Fiction Megapack
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more
More about Sophie Hannah