Start by marking “The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting” as Want to Read:
The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting

The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting

Ilana Wiles is not a good mother. She’s not a bad mother either. Like most of us, she’s normal. From the creator of the wildly popular blog Mommy Shorts comes Ilana Wiles’s first humor book on remarkably average parenting. If you want solid advice about raising kids, this book is not for you. If you want to wallow in your own misery about how having kids is AWFUL, this boo ...more
Published September 27th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

Be the first to ask a question about The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting

Heidi The Reader
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting is one of the best books about parenthood I've ever read. It is an honesty, funny and poignant look at the un-glamorous side of parenting. I loved the pictures. I loved the stories. I wish that this book had been around when I had my baby. Between this read and How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids, mothers-to-be have all their bases covered.

Ilana warns mothers about the perils of choosing rare names: "... if you want to name your child so
Mairead
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was going to give this three stars after the first two sections, but then I started reading the mom life section and laughed out loud to myself on the train during several stories.. so felt like it deserved another star. Perfect commute read -- quick, light, funny and available via Hoopla.
Philip
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
No, I'm not adopting a baby from Malawi. My topic at Genre Circle this month is Parenting. So I read a fairly easy book, The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting. I absolutely enjoyed this accessible, funny informative book. Ilana Wiles manages to inform and entertain at the same time. Practical advice, funny personal stories, and hysterical photos make this a great gift for any new or parent-to-be.
Maggie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really fun read, with many laugh out loud moments. Good to be reminded of the humor in parenting and also that being a perfect parent is an unrealistic goal! Very enjoyable!
Casey
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry and laugh out loud (for real). So great!
Karen
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I follow Mommy Shorts on social media so it came as no surprise that I enjoyed her book. What did surprise me is how laugh-out-loud funny the book is! I feel like I really got an inside look at Ilana's sense of humor and the book is even funnier than her blog. I love her "remarkably average" approach to parenting and recommend her book (and blog) to all the other parents out there who'd rather laugh than cry!
Brittany
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure Ilana and I are now best friends. Just saying. She was honest and funny through out the entire book. Some parts of the book will make you say "that's so me" and other parts "I'm glad my kid isn't the only one."
Amanda Thompson
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was a good laugh for parents. Although if you follow mommyshorts on social media, there are quite a few repeats.
Meghan Sutherland
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel was purchased for me by my best friend: a fellow Mom (a veteran fellow Mom) with a penchant for reading non-fiction. I would not buy a book of this nature for myself (I'd instead opt for the online blog because I, like the author Ilana, am also a city parent with precious limited space), and thus would probably never have read it, had she not picked it up for me.
It's a funny, fresh, relevant take on parenting that I found myself cackling along with and saying, "ooh, me too!" Even if y
Rachel
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Mommy Shorts for five years. I discovered her shortly after my first was born, and immediately went back and read all her previous blogs. She made me feel like it was ok that parenting wasn't all sunshine and roses and perfect smiles and sleeping cherubs 100% of the time! I can't tell you how many of her posts I have referenced when similar situations came up in our family. To see her blogs and charts and stories come together in a book is so amazing! I'm gifting this to as m ...more
Jin
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been a follower of Ilana on Instagram for a while now and have mostly enjoyed her creative outlook on parenting. I really enjoyed this book and found it very relatable and humorous. There was the time I was waiting to get my flu shot at CVS when I read her birth story, and I laughed so hard that I had tears. And everyone stared at me like I was crazy. She has fun and creative graphics in the book about pregnancy and parenting that are so on point. I'm planning on getting a copy for my best ...more
Kay
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Ilana on social media and my rugrats feel like they know Mazzy and Harlow through watching them on snapchat videos, so it was a given that I needed to buy this book! It was so nice to read about the whole parenting experience from a real perspective! How refreshing it is to feel like you're doing something right instead of feeling like a failure because you can't compare to the mom's you often see on social media. I had lots of laughs and relatable moments and the kids (and m ...more
Kaylee
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this read! I've followed Ilana on social media for quite some time and enjoy her refreshing candor on parenthood. There were quite a few lines that stuck with me throughout, but this perhaps was my favourite: "Sometimes we get so caught up in the grind--our jobs, routines, errands, discipline, just trying to keep everyone alive and racing to bedtime like it's the finish line at the end of the day--that we forget to notice all the amazing things that happen along the way" (p2 ...more
Korina
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly hilarious (and terrifying) as it is a no holds barred view on parenting. I don't suggest reading it in public as you will be snorting and laughing out loud. It tells you important things you may not already know about labour, delivery, breastfeeding, diapers and potty-training, feeding and living with babies/toddlers/preschoolers. New moms should read this and so should new dads (they should know what moms go through). I think that even those who don't have kids may get a ki ...more
Mandi Burns
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as a Christmas gift for a pregnant colleague (having followed Mommy Shorts on social media for a couple of years) and snuck a read before wrapping it. Even though I don't have kids of my own, I have plenty of nieces, nephews and god-children, and I know their parents would totally relate to Ilana's stories! Plus, she's a really entertaining writer and the pics of Mazzy and Harlow are adorable. My colleague started reading it in her lunch break and came back to the office in fits of ...more
Heather
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! You will find yourself laughing out loud. My husband read it before me, and he was a little put off by the pregnancy part, but soon he was relating and laughing to the tales of child rearing. I think this is a must have gift for any mom-to-be or mother in the throes of parenthood. It would make an excellent shower gift accompanied by a practical baby gift. Ilana Wiles' humor is so relatable!
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book is characteristic of the mommy lists and Facebook posts that are all over the internet. Overdone, but funny so I click on them occasionally when I'm avoiding doing something that's actually productive. I saw this book on the shelf at the library and, in a moment of needing to choose something before my kids high-tailed it out the door without me, I checked it out. It was good for reading by the pool during their swim lessons ... and did make me laugh, for sure.
Melissa
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Mommy Shorts! Ilana Wiles' writing style is so engaging and then she adds photos of her girls, which only makes it better. The current trend toward supporting normal parents instead of just the "super moms" is very refreshing and one I hope continues. Wiles is one of the best examples of this. She is down to earth but you can tell how much she loves her children. Reading her blog and book and following her social media really makes you want to be her friend!
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
As a huge fan of the Mommy Shorts blog (and various other social media outlets), I was so excited to learn that Ilana had put her voice in a book. This is an excellent read for all mothers, especially new ones bogged down by the dreaded "sanctimommies" in various parenting groups. You will realize that despite your shortcomings, you children will survive and may even thrive! And have a good chuckle while at it.
Jessica
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ilana Wiles could write a dictionary and it would probably be laugh out loud funny. Like her blog, which I've fallen in love with over the past three years, The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting is heartfelt, relatable, a little bit irreverent, and nonjudgmental. This is a must-read for parents-to-be, new parents, and experienced parents.
Jessica
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was my happy place this week. When I needed a laugh, it was there for me. This might be my go-to baby shower gift, after I've gone through and blacked out all the f-words. This book helped me chill out a little bit and laugh at the verities of parenthood.
Cam
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great laugh

I don't think I have laughed this hard while reading. I love how someone else can relate to being a parent. And it was great that there was no bashing the spouse in the process.
Monica
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best parenting books I've ever read since she doesn't try to preach on how to be perfect. Full of hilarious images and personal stories to illustrate the point - suggest this for any first time parent.
Kacy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's an amusing affirmation that I'm not alone in my parenting experiences, but not really anything more than that. Very similar to internet click bait stuff. I'll keep going, though, just because it's a light read that's easy to pick up in short shorts. Starting on Section 3 now.
Jess
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite quote:

The secret to parenthood is having a selective memory. It’s remembering the good stuff. More important, it’s the ability to recognize when you are in a memorable moment and fully appreciating it. Big or small.
Megan
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't read Ilana's blog or follow her on Instagram or anything, but I thought this book was quite funny -- I just picked it up randomly at the library because I ADORE the title. I, too, am a remarkably average parent, although there is NO WAY I WOULD SPEND $1,000 ON A STROLLER!
Ashley
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book after your first kid is 18 months or older. Everything is spot on and will keep you laughing throughout the book.
Beth Kelley
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Irreverent, painfully true, and hilarious.
Dana
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Refreshingly funny antidote to the mommy-wars.
Dominique
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been following mommy shorts for a while and was so excited to get this book. I loved it and couldn't put it down!

• This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • The Age of Persuasion: How Marketing Ate Our Culture
  • How Not to Calm a Child on a Plane: And Other Lessons in Parenting from a Highly Questionable Source
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent  Overshare
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
  • Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies
  • SCIENCE: Ruining Everything Since 1543