Start by marking “Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)

Heartfire

(Winterkill #3)

This richly imagined alternate history will appeal to fans of Delirium, Wither, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Emmeline and Matisa have arrived at the land of Matisa’s people, but the Dominion’s troops are moving in. Matisa’s people have prepared for battle, but the Dominion’s weapons are brutal. To secure their survival, they will need something so important the Domini
Published November 8th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Heartfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartfire

Alannah
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

What a beautifully written book, Boorman certainly has a lyrical way with words. This book was the perfect ending to the Winterkill trilogy, and I'm a little sad to see it all go. Whilst I didn't enjoy this one as much as Darkthaw - the first 100 pages were a little slow - the second half of the book was really riveting and highly intense, and overall I am happy with the ending.
Océano de libros
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Emmeline continúa en su búsqueda de respuestas, ha llegado junto a Tom y Matisa a su asentamiento pero ha dejado atrás a Kane. Ahora se le plantean nuevas dificultades y una guerra en ciernes.
Esta es la parte final de esta distopía que a mí no me ha convencido, si ya el primero de los libros no me dejó buen regusto los siguientes han ido cuesta abajo y sin frenos; por una parte me siento aliviada porque esta novela me la regalaron (se agradece no obstante) porque probablemente no le hubiese dado
Milan Nekolný
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Třetí díl trilogie přinesl i docela akční zvraty děje. Bylo docela těžké se od čtení odtrhnout. Konec trilogie de facto zůstal otevřený a nechal na čtenářově fantasii, kterým směrem se bude ubírat.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
This series for me was definitely a victim of the time taken between the books. I just was not connected to the series in the way that I would have been had I been able to read the series closer together.

I also found this particular installment very slow to get going.

I will say that my favourite part about the series overall is by far Em's character development.
Rei
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una muy entretenida trilogía que nos presenta a Em una chica que vive en un asentamiento aislado pero con sueños de ver más allá. sus sueños, sus viajes y las aventuras que la llevan a conocer nuevas personas y luchar por sobrevivir y llevar a su gente lo mejor. Una historia muy recomendable, me gusto mucho.
Nicole Luiken
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Strong ending for the trilogy. The last half of the book whipped by. Emmeline is a great character, capable and strong yet emotionally vulnerable. I love how she learned to ride a horse this book (which made for a great cover!)

Quibble: The initial chase scene felt like a bit of a cheat.
Carina Olsen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh, how I wish I could have loved this final book. But sadly, I did not. I even liked it less than book one and two. Which is why I have to give this one a one star. Ugh. So disappointed. And so sad too. I had such high hopes for this trilogy. I really thought I would love them all. Instead I disliked every one of them. Sniffs.

I don't even know where to start. It is not that I hated this book like crazy. Because I didn't. I simply felt nothing. And that isn't a good thing. I grew to dislike the
SBC
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Holly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I had not expected a happy ending to this series. Boorman really toys with your emotions through this whole series and has you so invested in the characters. She snaps people you love away so quickly so I was so scared for the lives of so many like they were truly my friend. At one point I had to put the book down and go do something else for a while because I thought she'd killed off my favourite character.

This book was a fantastic close to the series and I love how much it ties back to Winter
Drucilla
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: b
It's been a long time since I read a series that was as consistently good all the way through like this series has been. The books before have been a strong offering and Heartfire was no different. Boorman does a good job of seeding things from the previous books into this one and it really makes a cohesive finale. All of the characters are great (I could have used more Em and Kane moments, though!) and even though there's a journey aspect to the story like the previous book, more interesting st ...more
Michaela
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tretí diel vysvetľuje asi najviac. A áno, je aj opisný, aj akčný, je to niečo medzi prvým a druhým dielom. Pripomína mi to knihy, ktoré som čítala ako dieťa, kde išlo o odvahu, odhodlanie, rozhodnutie a priateľstvo. Ak tu budete hľadať milostné trojuholníky, vaša vec, nie je to ale kniha o tom, aj keď isté lásky sa tu spomínajú. Nie je to typická dystópia, páči sa mi poetika a lyrika, spolužitie prírody a ľudí v nej. Ale je to zároveň aj časť, kde umiera najviac ľudí...
Chrystin Bilbrough
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book! You never know whats gonna happen! Wow, extremely happy that I read this book series. 5 stars all the way.
Mari
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed the ending of Enmeline's story.
Leanne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pacing was a little stop-and-go but all and all an above-average final book in a trilogy I enjoyed, with a very satisfying ending. <3
Ema
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I pick this book because its cover. So, it's my mistake.
Kim Dyer
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I felt that this final instalment of the series was very similar to Darkthaw. It carried the same tone (which was still unlike that of Winterkill) and with that came the same kind of problems.

The opening of the novel was probably the strongest part. I liked seeing osanaskisiwak culture at long last and reading about Em's gradual realisation with regards to how the cure for the Bleed work. However, the novel quickly lost steam once the party resumed their journey.

Everything in the novel just felt
Stacey Kondla
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I just finished this book tonight and quite enjoyed it! It is book 3 in the Winterkill Trilogy by Kate Boorman. I found it to be a solid and satisfying conclusion.
If you enjoy dystopian YA, you might enjoy this trilogy very much - it reads very Canadian and is inspired by narratives of the settlement of the North American West. It is quite unique.
Sharon
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The second book was better.
Evelyn
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the conclusion to the Winterkill books and I liked it as much as the other books. I thought the book ended the trilogy well and story was so good! I'd definately read more books by this author
Nikki Vogel
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and interesting read, and a satisfying conclusion to the series. I highly recommend.
Chloe Naegeli
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it all the way through. I've thoroughly enjoyed this whole series - the idea behind it is really interesting and unique - not your typical dystopian. Really, really loved it.
Nancy Lieberman
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i loved the setting the way everyone was thinking the battles it was a really good ending to the triliogy
P
Sep 21, 2016
Jmorenocidoncha
Nov 01, 2017
Faira
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story! I love the detailed world-building put into this and the realistic characters (as far as I know for "realistic characters"). And even though I haven't read the first two books of this series, it still is an understandable read even without the backstory from the before books.

Emmeline is a head-strong character, it describes that she used to daydream a lot and I understand that because it is described at the end. She has a beautiful bond with her friends and there is true emotion
Aileen
Lucynka
Mar 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Of Better Blood
  • A Fool's Errand (The Gypsy King #2)
  • Shipwrecked (Shipwrecked, #1)
  • The Boys of Fire and Ash
  • The Capture (The Prey, #2)
  • The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • Bugs Potter Live at Nickaninny
  • Maiden Voyage: A Titanic Story
  • Orion's Curse (Andromeda #2)
  • Flickers
  • There Are Monsters Here
  • Future Gone
  • The Ending Beginnings: Jake (The Ending, #0.4)
  • Killer's Instinct
  • Winter Sky
  • Mindguard (The Mindguard Saga, #1)
  • Sasquatch
Kate is a freelance writer and artist from the often-frozen Canadian prairies. She has a nice family and a well-indulged travel bug. She also has an irrational fear of birds, so when you visit, please leave your bird at home. But do visit.

www.kateaboorman.com

Winterkill (3 books)
  • Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)
  • Darkthaw (Winterkill, #2)
“No matter their reason, secrets can do harm.” 0 likes
“Knowing where you've come from helps you understand where you are, helps you decide where you're going.” 0 likes