Start by marking “Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)

Heartfire

(Winterkill #3)

This richly imagined alternate history will appeal to fans of Delirium, Wither, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Emmeline and Matisa have arrived at the land of Matisa’s people, but the Dominion’s troops are moving in. Matisa’s people have prepared for battle, but the Dominion’s weapons are brutal. To secure their survival, they will need something so important the Domin
Published November 8th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Heartfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartfire

Start your review of Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)
Alannah
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

What a beautifully written book, Boorman certainly has a lyrical way with words. This book was the perfect ending to the Winterkill trilogy, and I'm a little sad to see it all go. Whilst I didn't enjoy this one as much as Darkthaw - the first 100 pages were a little slow - the second half of the book was really riveting and highly intense, and overall I am happy with the ending.
Océano de libros
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Emmeline continúa en su búsqueda de respuestas, ha llegado junto a Tom y Matisa a su asentamiento pero ha dejado atrás a Kane. Ahora se le plantean nuevas dificultades y una guerra en ciernes.
Esta es la parte final de esta distopía que a mí no me ha convencido, si ya el primero de los libros no me dejó buen regusto los siguientes han ido cuesta abajo y sin frenos; por una parte me siento aliviada porque esta novela me la regalaron (se agradece no obstante) porque probablemente no le hubiese dado
Anna
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Jilly
Shelves: fiction, ya
'Heartfire' is the second random book from the lucky dip selection sent by a kind friend. It's the third and final installment of a trilogy that I hadn't previously heard of, let alone read any of. This took me back to my teenage years, when I would borrow any book in the library that looked remotely interesting and cared not a bit for the order in which series should be read. It is incredibly rare for one library to have an entire series conveniently available to read chronologically anyway. I ...more
Rei
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una muy entretenida trilogía que nos presenta a Em una chica que vive en un asentamiento aislado pero con sueños de ver más allá. sus sueños, sus viajes y las aventuras que la llevan a conocer nuevas personas y luchar por sobrevivir y llevar a su gente lo mejor. Una historia muy recomendable, me gusto mucho.
sumayyah
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
This trilogy is for dreamers
this trilogy is for those who hope
this trilogy is for those in desperation

All in all, I liked this trilogy, it was a wonderful adventure - fun, and harrowing. I am also happy to note that the Natives play a huge part in this book, some rare representation for them. I love to hear about the Native tribes and this was a perfect way to introduce myself to them, however fictional the characters are, it gives you an unbiased POV. I would also like to note that the author,
LilyElfgreen
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smrtná zima je skvělá trilogie, ač je dost opomíjená, přináší skvělý čtenářský zážitek.
Milan Nekolný
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Třetí díl trilogie přinesl i docela akční zvraty děje. Bylo docela těžké se od čtení odtrhnout. Konec trilogie de facto zůstal otevřený a nechal na čtenářově fantasii, kterým směrem se bude ubírat.
Ligaro
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es una pena, pero no ha conseguido mantener el nivel. El comienzo me gustó, pero después... he llegado a aburrirme. Está bien escrito y tiene acción, pero no me ha terminado de enganchar y no está a la altura de otras distopías.
Mariela De Leon
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sagas
Un poco decepcionante. El inicio me gusto, pero ya luego siento que es mas de lo mismo que el segundo libro. El final fue bien, nunca me senti identificada conEmmeline me la encontre muy egoista hasta el final, nunca entendi por que o quien luchaba.

Pero Bestia y Hambre, Y Tom se ganaron sus estrellitas. Fue una lectura bien.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
This series for me was definitely a victim of the time taken between the books. I just was not connected to the series in the way that I would have been had I been able to read the series closer together.

I also found this particular installment very slow to get going.

I will say that my favourite part about the series overall is by far Em's character development.
Nicole Luiken
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Strong ending for the trilogy. The last half of the book whipped by. Emmeline is a great character, capable and strong yet emotionally vulnerable. I love how she learned to ride a horse this book (which made for a great cover!)

Quibble: The initial chase scene felt like a bit of a cheat.
Carina Olsen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh, how I wish I could have loved this final book. But sadly, I did not. I even liked it less than book one and two. Which is why I have to give this one a one star. Ugh. So disappointed. And so sad too. I had such high hopes for this trilogy. I really thought I would love them all. Instead I disliked every one of them. Sniffs.

I don't even know where to start. It is not that I hated this book like crazy. Because I didn't. I simply felt nothing. And that isn't a good thing. I grew to dislike the
SBC
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Holly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had not expected a happy ending to this series. Boorman really toys with your emotions through this whole series and has you so invested in the characters. She snaps people you love away so quickly so I was so scared for the lives of so many like they were truly my friend. At one point I had to put the book down and go do something else for a while because I thought she'd killed off my favourite character.

This book was a fantastic close to the series and I love how much it ties back to Winter
Drucilla
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: b
It's been a long time since I read a series that was as consistently good all the way through like this series has been. The books before have been a strong offering and Heartfire was no different. Boorman does a good job of seeding things from the previous books into this one and it really makes a cohesive finale. All of the characters are great (I could have used more Em and Kane moments, though!) and even though there's a journey aspect to the story like the previous book, more interesting st ...more
Michaela
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tretí diel vysvetľuje asi najviac. A áno, je aj opisný, aj akčný, je to niečo medzi prvým a druhým dielom. Pripomína mi to knihy, ktoré som čítala ako dieťa, kde išlo o odvahu, odhodlanie, rozhodnutie a priateľstvo. Ak tu budete hľadať milostné trojuholníky, vaša vec, nie je to ale kniha o tom, aj keď isté lásky sa tu spomínajú. Nie je to typická dystópia, páči sa mi poetika a lyrika, spolužitie prírody a ľudí v nej. Ale je to zároveň aj časť, kde umiera najviac ľudí...
BubbleKat
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, nota-4-5
Nota 4.5/5 ⭐
Mari
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed the ending of Enmeline's story.
Leanne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pacing was a little stop-and-go but all and all an above-average final book in a trilogy I enjoyed, with a very satisfying ending. <3 ...more
Ema
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I pick this book because its cover. So, it's my mistake.
Irene
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
Excellent, beautifully written series for a pre-teen or teen reader.
LD
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5⭐️
Arkham Reviews
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I felt that this final instalment of the series was very similar to Darkthaw. It carried the same tone (which was still unlike that of Winterkill) and with that came the same kind of problems.

The opening of the novel was probably the strongest part. I liked seeing osanaskisiwak culture at long last and reading about Em's gradual realisation with regards to how the cure for the Bleed work. However, the novel quickly lost steam once the party resumed their journey.

Everything in the novel just felt
Stacey Kondla
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I just finished this book tonight and quite enjoyed it! It is book 3 in the Winterkill Trilogy by Kate Boorman. I found it to be a solid and satisfying conclusion.
If you enjoy dystopian YA, you might enjoy this trilogy very much - it reads very Canadian and is inspired by narratives of the settlement of the North American West. It is quite unique.
Sharon
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The second book was better.
Evelyn
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the conclusion to the Winterkill books and I liked it as much as the other books. I thought the book ended the trilogy well and story was so good! I'd definately read more books by this author
Chrissie B
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome book! You never know whats gonna happen! Wow, extremely happy that I read this book series. 5 stars all the way.
Nikki Vogel
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and interesting read, and a satisfying conclusion to the series. I highly recommend.
Chloe Naegeli
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it all the way through. I've thoroughly enjoyed this whole series - the idea behind it is really interesting and unique - not your typical dystopian. Really, really loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress, #2)
  • Where the Trees Were
  • Half Moon Street (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #20)
  • Supercute Futures
  • Territorial Rights
  • Seed
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • Reflejos del pasado
  • Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1)
  • You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine
  • El bosque de los cuatro vientos
  • Letters to Kelly
  • Entre nosotros
  • El violinista en el balcón
  • Los misterios de la gata Holmes (Los misterios de la gata Holmes #1)
  • An Unreasonable Match (The Steepwood Scandal, #7)
  • The Guardian's Dilemma (The Steepwood Scandal, #11)
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
Kate is a freelance writer and artist from the often-frozen Canadian prairies. She has a nice family and a well-indulged travel bug. She also has an irrational fear of birds, so when you visit, please leave your bird at home. But do visit.

www.kateaboorman.com

Winterkill (3 books)
  • Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)
  • Darkthaw (Winterkill, #2)