Start by marking “RoseBlood” as Want to Read:
RoseBlood

RoseBlood

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  7,048 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews
In this modern day spin on Lerouxs gothic tale of unrequited love turned to madness, seventeen-year-old Rune Germain has a mysterious affliction linked to her operatic talent, and a horrifying mistake shes trying to hide. Hoping creative direction will help her, Runes mother sends her to a French arts conservatory for her senior year, located in an opera house rumored to ...more
Published January 10th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about RoseBlood, please sign up.
A.G. Howard In the product details, my Splintered books are listed as appropriate for ages 14+ by my publisher. I'm not sure there's any such listing that starts…moreIn the product details, my Splintered books are listed as appropriate for ages 14+ by my publisher. I'm not sure there's any such listing that starts older for YA? Maybe you're thinking of New Adult (which is for ages 17+).

RoseBlood will be listed for the same ages as Splintered (14+). But one major difference is, where my Wonderland series is based on what has often been considered a children's story, RoseBlood is based on a romantic horror/ drama. So the mood is different.

There aren't any *whimsical* underpinnings in this one. Instead, it's very dark and gothic, and the relationships are more tortured / complex. The sensual undertones play a bigger role because it's inspired by The Phantom of the Opera -- a book all about the obsession to be accepted and loved, and unrequited passion turned to madness.

If, however, your concern is how graphic the sensuality or language aspects are, those are still comparable to the Splintered Series. (less)
A.G. Howard Thanks! I love the cover, too!

Thanks! I love the cover, too!

As for the move to Phantom, just like all things Alice, I've always been a huge PoTO fan. I can't get enough of Leroux's novel, the movies, and the musical. And since my AiW spinoff was so well received, it gave me the confidence to tackle the Phantom's spinoff possibilities. I've seen other adaptations of the story -- a lot of them actually -- and one prequel that I adore (Phantom by Susan Kay) but not many spinoffs or continuations.

So after thinking it through -- mentally twisting and twining the original backstory into the here and now -- I fell in love with Erik's maniacal brilliance, broken soul, and talent all over again. I knew then that I had to give him a modern stage on which to perform, so I could see what horrors he might stir up for one unfortunate occupant of an opera-themed boarding school.

I'm thrilled with the result, and can't wait to share it with readers! (less)

·  7,048 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews

Start your review of RoseBlood
Emily May
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it

TWO AND A HALF WEEKS. I gave this book two and a half weeks. I literally do not remember the last time it took me this long to read a book. And I'm including 1000+ page classics in that.

I wanted to like this book so much. I kept forcing myself to continue to the end, trying to find excuses to bump up the rating and justify buying a finished copy to look gorgeous on my bookshelf. I love The Phantom of the Opera. I wanted to love this, but it was just one cliche after another.

Maybe if you're
A.G. Howard
Sep 21, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Update 1-22-16: FINISHED WRITING IT! I fell in love so hard with this world and these characters. <3 Can't wait to share it with everyone in January 2017!

Update 6-21-16:
ARCs are around the corner! For info on how to request one, follow this link: http://authoraghoward.blogspot.com/20...

Here are a few quick RoseBlood FAQs:

(1) What's the book about?

Much like Splintered was for Alice in Wonderland, this is a modern day spin-off / continuation of the original Phantom of the Opera, that follows a
Melissa Rose
My feelings while reading this book:
description

GUYS THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!!!!!

OH MY GOD. I have never read a book like this in my life. Seriously guys this is like The Room or Troll 2 of books. It was so poor in its execution so horribly bad and offensive at times that it was actually good. The book takes itself so seriously that it's just hilarious to laugh at. It's truly amazing how wrong it is.

The characters were wrong. The plot was wrong. The setting was wrong. The romance was wrong.
Every single
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Reread December 2016*
So I have now read this book twice and twice and twice now I have struggled to get through it. I wanted so badly to love it because I was really looking forward to it but while there were things I enjoyed, overall I did not really care for it. I loved the writing, the descriptions are incredible. The atmosphere was awesome. But, I was so bored and that just ruins it for me. So unfortunately my rating remains to be 3 stars.

*First read October 2016*
3 stars for now, I really
Natalie Monroe
A single spotlight flicks on. Cynical Natalie sits in the middle, blinking at the glare.

Cynical Natalie: What the hell is this? Where's my annoying twin?

A disjointed voice booms out of the darkness: Are you ready to play How Mad Can We Make Cynical Natalie?

Applause reigns. Cynical Natalie tries to protest, but her voice is masked by the immediate rumble, The rules are simple. Characters, quotes, plot points, anything of note are listed from a novel called Roseblood and we will see howlongittakes
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
My January Owlcrate Box! Don't look if you haven't gotten yours yet. Although, my picture wasn't all that great this time!

At home, I have a poster on my wall of a rose that's bleeding. It's petals are white, and red liquid oozes from its heart, thick and glistening warm. Only, if you look very close, you can see the droplets are coming from above, where a little girl's wrist--camouflaged by a cluster of leaves--has been pricked by it's thorns as she reached inside to catch a monarch.

This book
Sixteen-year-old Rune Germaine has synesthesia, a perceptive phenomena (which really exists) where stimuli for one sense triggers other senses too. For example, sounds have colors to Rune.

But Runes synesthesia is connected to another condition, of which she appears to be the only possessor. Whenever she hears an operatic soprano aria, she has to belt it out, even if it kills her. Even as a toddler who could barely speak her native language, she could flawlessly sing along, with an apparently
C.G. Drews
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
So this was CREEPY YET AWESOME. Which is just how I like my books, thank you, with a sidedish of psychotic Phantoms and perhaps some cake. #lovely And I'll have you know I was absolutely obsessed with the Phantom of the Opera in my wayward youth. (Erm, like, 5 years ago.) I watched the movie (with Gerard Butler) about 1000 MILLION TIMES and I had all the music to learn on the piano and I knew all the songs and I WAS BASICALLY GOING TO BE THE PHANTOM WHEN I GREW UP. Minus, possibly, the psycho ...more
Candace Robinson
First off I really liked the Splintered series, and I loved The Architect of Song... I think for me there were parts of this that were definitely worth 5 stars like the parts about Thorn's background, but it took me a little longer to get into this book, and it seemed like it took a long while for Rune to meet up with Thorn. I also really thought the side characters were interesting and would have liked to know more about Audrey, Sunny, and Jax. Rune was interesting especially being in her head, ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yup, I adored this one. Loved the setting, loved the characters, loved the romance, loved the twists and turns, loved the mystery, loved the atmosphere. Loved the writing.

This was my first A.G. Howard book and now I'm very tempted to pick up more!
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Me when I realize this book doesn't come out until 2017...

Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Two things drew me to RoseBlood. First, it's written by A.G. Howard who has literally never disappointed me. I adored her Splintered series and am already in love with the Haunted Hearts Legacy. Second, I am HUGE Phantom fan. I've read the book and its unofficial sequel and I've seen the broadway show and its official sequel. When I saw that one of my favorite authors was writing a retelling of
Alyssa

RoseBlood by A.G. Howard
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: January 10, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
3/9/16 - DAT COVER:

3/3/16:

I'm not much for Alice, so I haven't checked out this author yet, but a Phantom of the Opera retelling??

Stacee
I absolutely loved this book. Ive always been a fan of Phantom {Ive seen it several times in San Diego, LA, and Chicago} and never mind the fact that it was Anitas words, I didnt even know I wanted a Phantom retellling until I learned about RoseBlood.

Rune is an interesting character. Shes got this amazing talent that has made her withdraw a bit. Shes still grieving for her father and as she learns things about herself, she is constantly second guessing things that happened in the past. At times,
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

ROSEBLOOD is about three of my favorite things: The Phantom of the Opera, the Comte de Saint-Germain, and vampires. All three together? Oh, heck yes. Set in a gloomy boarding school/converted opera house in the middle of France, I was certain that this neo-Gothic, ROSEBLOOD, would be able to do one of my favorite classics justice in a new and interesting way.

I was wrong.

It kills me to say this, because the writing in ROSEBLOOD is so
Rebekah
I next to never feel guilty about writing a review on a book I didn't like. But with this one I do. I wanted to love this book so much, I REALLY enjoyed Splintered and so I had such high hopes for this one especially since it was a YA retelling of The Phantom of the Opera.

mifi8q7dqxwus
I may very well be a minority when it comes to my thoughts on this book. It's not all bad I promise, so let's get too it.

I think Howard is a great writer, I think she really knows how to twist and turn a story to completely

Irena BookDustMagic
I rarely feel guilty about writing my reviews, but this one is one of those rare cases when I do.
Why?
Because I was so excited for Roseblood. I even sent my review request to the publishing house Amulet Books, and, since so many book bloggers wanted to read this book, I know how privileged I am to have recieved a physical proof copy.

You can probably guess that my expectations for this novel were high. I read Howards Splintered and really enjoyed it, so when I found out about her retelling of
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

With Howard's imaginative take on Alice in Wonderland with her Splintered series, it wasn't a surprise that I would want to see what she could do with another classic like Phantom of the Opera. A classic already riddled with dark intent, mystery, and an obsession that bordered the line of love and hate and most of all one that transcended time.

I wouldn't of expected anything short of fabulous and anything less than the strange, unusual, and the fantastical.

Howard has a skill to not
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Halle-fucking-lujah I made it.

This book is just.....honestly I don't have the words. So I'm going to do what this book couldn't and be succinct.

1. Way too many words. Like WAY TOO MANY. Descriptions and events that could take a paragraph or maybe two would go on for pages. The writing was unnecessarily intricate and sometimes it just plain didn't make sense.

2. Racist. Continued use of a racial slur (g*ps*). The author is not Romani, she is not taking back the word for her people. She has no
Maria
Feb 27, 2016 marked it as to-read
Carrie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rune Germaine has always had a beautiful voice but feels a pull towards singing that she doesn't quite understand and can even feel sick or drained at the end of a performance. Now Rune's mother has talked Rune's aunt into pulling a few strings to get Rune bumped to the front of the line to attend Roseblood, a boarding school outside of Paris at an opera house that's been turned into a music conservatory.

Rune knows the history of the opera house and shortly after arriving she sees a mystery boy
Jacqueline (Jbooklover)
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

Video Review: https://youtu.be/Ucc9gRTgkpE

This book. Wow. The writing is beautiful, the story is haunting, and the characters are memorable.

I am a huge fan of the Phantom of the Opera, so I was ecstatic to hear there was going to be an inspired retelling. I have to say A.G. Howard writes so effortlessly beautiful. I felt each word she wrote had some importance. Also, the story itself although is an inspired retelling is entirely her own tale, with it being a modern continuous of the
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Okeyyy... gonna sit this one aside for now. Just not feeling it- too weird.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful, haunting, dark, but romantic story! I love what A.G. fid with the Phantom of The Opera story! It's not a retelling but taken from Phantom and built upon so that it's in the modern world with new characters and it's absolutely spellbinding and gorgeous! You will all fall for Rune and Thorn oh and Diable I adored that damned cat lol
Aila
You can check this review out on One Way Or An Author!

Thanks so much Abrams for a review copy!

Being a fan of The Phantom of the Opera and knowing Lloyds works for the broadway play on piano, I was super enthusiastic on picking this book up. Yet probably because of all the hype building around this book when the blurb first came out, combined with the authors popularity with her previous book series, I was a bit wary. Quite honestly though, this book surprised me in the best of ways. I ended up
Lexie
Mar 08, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2017
Oh, no big deal, I've only been clamoring for a Phantom of the Opera retelling since forever and now A.G. Howard is writing one!

RIGHT IN THE FEELS

bec ɤ
Jun 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
YA PHANTOM OF THE OPERA RETELLING???? LIKE SIGN ME UP. I AM SO TRASH FOR POTO YOU DONT UNDERSTAND
Vivianne
It hurts my heart to do this :(
DNFed at about 50%

I was soooo excited about this book! Ive grown up loving the music of this opera and have seen the movie several times (still wishing the play would be reproduced so I can see it with my own eyes). So I was super curious when I read the premises, but also a little worried. How is one off my favorite childhood stories translated in a book? This book came in my February Booklybird box.

But unfortunately I just couldnt finish this. The writing style
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
I have FINALLY finished the Phantom of the Opera retelling and LET. ME. TELL. YAH:

Some Thoughts.
Unfortunately, this book a bit of a disappointment. It had so much potential to be a beautiful retelling of a well-known classic; however, the author just didn't give its young readers enough credit. Let me elaborate. I understand that this is marketed as a YA book, but when are authors going to learn that you can write a YA book that is sophisticated, with mature and complex characters etc. AND
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
A NEW DARK RETELLING FROM HOWARD?

description

2017 already looks so much brighter (◕◡◕)

• Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Heartless
  • Hunted
  • The Sandcastle Empire
  • Unhooked
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • iPohádka
  • Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2)
  • The Hearts We Sold
  • Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
  • Winterwood
#1 New York Times and International bestselling Author of gothic / fantasy & paranormal tales, mystical & romantic with a side of horror. A.G.'s dark Alice in Wonderland inspired Splintered series has been published in over a dozen languages.

Young adult, Adult, and literary romance. Repped by Jenny Bent.

How A.G. Howard rates books on GoodReads:

"I only rate or review books I enjoyed

News & Interviews

“Guard your throats and hide your eyes. He’s not dead, you fools. Legends never die.” 21 likes
“I need to know why I’m so broken, so I can fix myself. One way or another. Maybe this place can help me do that, and then I can finally look forward to my future. Because I’m starting to realize there’s something worse than stepping up and facing your fears – and that’s living as if you’re already dead.” 11 likes