Start by marking “Tinyville Town: Gets to Work!” as Want to Read:
Tinyville Town: Gets to Work!

Tinyville Town: Gets to Work!

(Tinyville Town #1)

The Tinyville Town series, new from New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Brian Biggs, launches with three books: Tinyville Town Gets to Work!, a world-establishing picture book that introduces the town and its many residents, and two board books, I’m a Veterinarian and I’m a Firefighter. The series is set in a cozy community where the people are kind, everyone ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Abrams Appleseed/Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Tinyville Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tinyville Town

The Library Lady
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I get regular requests, especially from preschool teachers, for books about community and community helpers. This is part of a new series, and should be useful for that. It is also entertaining, especially for kids interested in construction and construction vehicles, as Tinyville Town builds a new and better bridge.
My one quibble might be that the newspaper headline page has a box in the lower corner with "What About the Toads?" In later pages we see one single toad, apparently being cared for
Abigail
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Community
Shelves: picture-books
When Mayor Murphy is kept waiting by the bus one morning, he goes to investigate and discovers that everything in Tinyville Town has been delayed by a massive traffic jam coming across the small town's single bridge. Responding to the demands of the populace, the mayor begins the process of getting a new and improved bridge built, so that Tinyville Town residents can get to work more expeditiously...

The first of a prospective picture-book series about the doings of Tinyville Town - there are alr
Kid Lit Reviews
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tinyville Town looks like a great place to live. It is bright and beautiful. The town lies on the river, where a park welcomes people to its manicured lawns. Whatever you need, Tinyville Town seems to have it. There is a hospital and a hotel, a sports arena, school, and many buildings that have yet to be explored.

Every morning people smile and greet each other. The mayor says hello to the bus driver and buys a donut from the bakery. Garbage men pick up the garbage—with smiles on their faces! Tin
Stacie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Tinyville Town Gets to Work is a lively story that introduces readers to the people of Tinyville Town and the different jobs they perform in order to keep the town running smoothly. Things are perfect in Tinyville Town until the day no one can get to work because of a traffic jam on the bridge. The people looked to the Mayor for a solution. Can the he find a way to restore order to Tinyville Town?

I found this to be an entertaining story that teaches children that every person in Tinyville Town,
Becky
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Good morning! Welcome to Tinyville Town.

Premise/plot: In the town of Tinyville, everyone has a job to do. But one day, no one can do their job. The mayor asks why. The answer: TRAFFIC JAM. The solution: a new bridge! This picture book shows everyone in town working and coming together.

My thoughts: I liked this one. I like the board book series perhaps even better. But. I liked it. I love the illustrations. I like seeing all the details. If your little one loves construction stori
Patricia McLaughlin
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story seems dated. The people of Tinyville Town work hard at increasing the traffic problem by building a bigger bridge rather than solving it with a mass transit system.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
As best as I can tell, the brain trust at Tinyville town planning replaced a two-lane bridge with a newer, bigger, shinier two-lane bridge. They turned the old bridge over to pedestrians. How will this help their traffic problem? There is also a puzzling toad that is never explained. Not impressed.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Tinyville Town needs a bigger bridge! Time to get to work and build a bridge that helps everyone. It's a great picture book that goes from the start of the project to the completion. I simplified some of the text during storytime.

Reviewed from a library copy.

2017 storytime theme: Build a Better World: Bridges
Candace
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The people of Tinyville Town are friendly and helpful. When the town experiences a traffic jam, the mayor, after the suggestion of the town folks, decides to build a bigger bridge. By everyone working together, the new bridge is built and Tinyville Town is running smoothly.

Tinyville Town introduces co-operation and bridge building to young readers. The author keeps the bridge building simple. He emphasizes everyone working together to accomplish a task for the good of the town. The story and pic
Cheryl
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nice try, but a light rail system would be a better solution. Or a bridge that actually has more lanes of traffic. I see that a librarian reviewer below says that 'community helper' books are necessary (to meet curriculum standards?) and so I guess this is better than Scarry or Lenski, because it's new... but the only other one I'm really interested in is the Librarian one (what are small children told about librarians?)
Leslie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the Tinyville Town books and this one brings together many of the characters (and community helpers) we've seen in other board books in the series. It's fun to see them all working together to build a new bridge for Tinyville.
Viviane Elbee
This is a fun "community" book, with particular appeal for kids who like building, construction, cars & trucks and traffic jams.
kim
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for this series and while this is a longer format than the others, it's still fun yet educational
The Brothers
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bridges, building, traffic
Tinyville Town is growing and with that growth comes more cars and TRAFFIC JAMS! They need a new bridge and the city planners and mayor are up to the task.

Illustrations are cute.
Davanh Souvanarath
In this story, everything flows perfectly through the community of Tinyville town. Everything is done of time and the routine is the same everyday. Until one morning there is a traffic jam on the bridge, the people of Tinyville town have to work together to find a solution. I chose this book for my girl empowerment text set because it shows women participating in occupations that are stereotyped for men. There are women police officers and women construction workers. The genre of this story is r ...more
Kelly
The town needs a new bridge and the townspeople come together.
Stuart
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a new series of books out for younger children from Abrams Books. The series takes places in Tinyville Town and currently there are three books out with a fourth one due out in March 2017. Today, I am going to tell you about these books.

Tinyville Town Gets to Work! is an illustrated hardcover book, measuring approximately 9.5" x 10.5". The book begins with a letter from the author/illustrator, Brian Biggs. In this letter, he talks about all the places he has lived and how they are each
Christine Turner
The Tinyville Town series, new from New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Brian Biggs, launches with three books: Tinyville Town Gets to Work! , a world-establishing picture book that introduces the town and its many residents, and two board books, I'm a Veterinarian and I'm a Firefighter . The series is set in a cozy community where the people are kind, everyone says hello when they're walking down the street, the bus is always on time, and all the townsfolk do their part to keep th ...more
Amy
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for School Library Journal on 10/1/2016.

PreS-Gr 1—Tinyville Town is a happy place where everybody has a job to do and does it well. From the baker to the bus driver, people take pride in their work, and the town runs smoothly. When a traffic jam stops the orderly flow of their day, the townspeople realize that they need a new bridge. The mayor agrees and declares that this new bridge will be bigger, stronger, and more beautiful than the first. Using broad and colorful cartoon art, the
Katie Fitzgerald
This colorful book is appealing to kids who are interested in community helpers, and cars and trucks. It includes not-often-mentioned members of the community, like the city planner, and it focuses on a building project (a new bridge) which is sure to delight preschoolers who love construction. Miss Muffet (age 3) and I had some trouble with the toad who appears about halfway through the story, as we were able to follow him for a few pages and then he just completely disappeared. It is also curi ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Biggs, Brian Tinyville Town Gets to Work! PICTURE BOOK. Abrams, 2016. $17.

The people of Tinyville Town are ready to get to work, but there’s a problem – a huge traffic jam on the bridge. It’s too small! The planners and workers of Tinyville get together and build a new bridge to move more traffic.
I can see Tinyville Town becoming a whole new set of tiny figures, buildings, roads, and vehicles. Its very reminiscent of Richard Scarry’s writings. If it can packaged as a board book and/or with figu
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Tinyville Town is pretty perfect. The baker makes yummy doughnuts, the bus is on time, and the garbage gets picked up. However, one day the mayor discovers that Tinyville has a problem--a traffic jam on the town's only bridge. After that, we follow the citizens of Tinyville as they go through the process of building a new bridge.

This book reminds of Richard Scarry's books, as we are introduced to a multicultural town and many workers in it. Share with children who like to know how things are don
Sara Grochowski
The new Tinyville Town series feels a lot like a Richard Scarry for a new generation (though, Scarry's books are still, from what I can tell, well-loved). In this first hardcover picture book, which released simultaneously with two board books, each about a different community helper profession, the mayor of Tinyville must enlist the help of an engineer and city planner to provide a new, safer bridge for the town. I appreciated the diversity of the characters and roles represented in this first ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
ages 5-8

Tinyville Town has a problem. Traffic backs up in the morning because the bridge over the river is too small, not enough cars can drive over at once. They need a new bridge. The town works together to build one. This book is so interesting. It's about city planning and teamwork. It's about community and coming together to solve a problem. It's a great read.

Samantha
Readers are introduced to Tinyville Town and get an excellent example of how to fix a problem. When the trash collectors, the baker, and the bus all get delayed by a traffic jam, it's up to the Mayor to build a bigger bridge. He calls upon city planners and construction crews and the end result is something the whole town can be proud of.

Colored pencil and India ink illustrations colored digitally comprise the artwork. Highly recommended for PreK-2, especially as a read aloud.
Linda
Dec 31, 2016 added it
This is a lovely, bright, busy book full of people working together to get things done. It reminds me of the Richard Scarry books I grew up with, with so much to look at on every page.
I met the author at the Heartland Fall Forum, and he was a delight. I look forward to more books in this series!
This was one of my best children's books of 2016!
Mary Ann
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrific for new generation of preschoolers, with similar appeal to Richard Scarey's books. Love the diverse cast of characters. Love the STEM connections, as the town works together to solve the traffic problems.

Also see the board books released in this series: I'm a Veterinarian + I'm a Firefighter
Lynn
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bright and exuberant story about fixing a problem, with everyone in town enthusiastically rolling up their sleeves and getting to work. Reminiscent of the Richard Scarry books with larger scale illustrations. Fun for preschoolers and great for those "Your Community" units.
Jocelin
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a great series about the busy people of Tinyville Town. I like the citizens of Tinyville, they come together and create a plan to make their town a well functioning municipality.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cybils nominee for Best Fiction Picture Book 2o16.
FROM Weird Business, 1995:

Often compared to Charles Addams and Edward Gorey, Brian Biggs first unleashed his bizarre storytelling skills on an unsuspecting world with the love story Frderick & Eloise (Fantagraphics). Since then Brian's work has appeared in a variety of magazines. He is currently in negotiations for his new graphic novel Dear Julia.

Tinyville Town (7 books)
  • Tinyville Town: Time for School!
  • Tinyville Town: I'm a Librarian