Start by marking “Beautiful Brain: The Drawings of Santiago Ramon y Cajal” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Brain: The Drawings of Santiago Ramon y Cajal

Beautiful Brain: The Drawings of Santiago Ramon y Cajal

At the crossroads of art and science, Beautiful Brain presents Nobel Laureate Santiago Ramón y Cajal’s contributions to neuroscience through his groundbreaking artistic brain imagery.

Santiago Ramón y Cajal (1852–1934) was the father of modern neuroscience and an exceptional artist. He devoted his life to the anatomy of the brain, the body’s most complex and mysterious o
Published January 17th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Brain

Roy Lotz
To listen to this review as a podcast, click below:

____________________
Like the entomologist in pursuit of brightly colored butterflies, my attention hunted, in the flower garden of the gray matter, cells with delicate and elegant forms, the mysterious butterflies of the soul, the beating of whose wings may someday—who knows?—clarify the secret of mental life.

I love walking around cathedrals because they are sublime examples of vital art. I say "vital" b
Kerfe
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Santiago Ramon y Cajal reminds us that science and art need not lead separate lives. Combining biography with drawings and discoveries made during his microscopic examination of cells, "The Beautiful Brain" reinforces how different disciplines working in tandem can enlighten and enlarge our view of the world, how just the gesture of a drawn line can convey meaning and understanding that lies beyond words.

And also: just the magic and awe of life: the sheer beauty of the way we are constructed and
P D
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seeing that I'm seriously considering booking a plane ticket to view the exhibition, this is going to be even less biased than my take on Chernow's 'Hamilton'. I'm not even mad at how hagiographic the presentation of Cajal is, because his drawings in this book are even more impressive and detailed than their coverage in my neuroscience classes.

I've forgotten a lot of neuroanatomy at this point, so the basic explanations were helpful in this regard. And the modern look at neural images at the end
Edgar Guevara
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The title says it all: it is a book filled with beautiful images. One cannot but contemplate in ecstasy the sublime ink & pen drawings of one of the most influential neuroscientists of all time. They do not only reflect the reality under the microscope but enhance it as well, removing all non-relevant stuff to focus on the structure of interest. That is scientific illustration at its best: enhancing what the eye sees, without distorting the facts underlying each image.
Billie Hinton
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous and mesmerizing look at Santiago Ramon Y Cajal’s drawings of the brain. A Noble Laureate and known as the father of neuroscience, Cajal was also an artist. I recently saw an exhibit of many of his original drawings; it was a treat to see them in person. Highly recommend this to anyone interested in neuroscience but also to anyone interested in scientific illustration and art. It’s simply beautiful.
Jen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-adult, art, history
I didn't read so much as soak in the gorgeous illustrations of those magical pathways drawn by Santiago Ramón y Cajal.
Lily
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is art as science, but the essays inside are formal and historical about neuroscience and the brain.
Mark
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, medicine, history
A great collection of SRyC's drawings - some never before published. There are also some beautiful modern images, including an astonishing one of mouse pyramidal cells from A. Wertz et al. Science 349[2015]: 70-74. The accompanying text is nothing special.
Castalia Francon
Bin
Jul 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Art Forms from the Ocean: The Radiolarian Prints of Ernst Haeckel
  • Portraits of the Mind: Visualizing the Brain from Antiquity to the 21st Century
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Gustav Klimt: Complete Paintings (XXL)
  • One Hundred Famous Views of Edo
  • The Book of Codes: Understanding the World of Hidden Messages: An Illustrated Guide to Signs, Symbols, Ciphers, and Secret Languages
  • The Ambiguity of Play
  • Gorey's Worlds
  • The Dance of Death
  • The Map As Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
  • Never Home Alone: From Microbes to Millipedes, Camel Crickets, and Honeybees, the Natural History of Where We Live
  • Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert
  • Birding Is My Favorite Video Game: Cartoons about the Natural World From "Bird and Moon"
  • Man, Play and Games