Start by marking “Summer Days, Summer Nights: Twelve Summer Romances” as Want to Read:
Summer Days, Summer Nights: Twelve Summer Romances

Summer Days, Summer Nights: Twelve Summer Romances

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  10,083 ratings  ·  2,441 reviews
This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. Includes: Leigh Bardugo, Nina LaCour, Libba Bray, Francesca Lia Block, Stephanie Perkins, Tim Federle, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, Brandy Colbert, Cassandra Clare, Jennifer E Smith, Lev Grossman.
Hardcover, UK Edition, 384 pages
Published June 2nd 2016 by Pan MacMillan (first published May 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Days, Summer Nights, please sign up.
Miss Bookiverse No. The only exception might be the story by Stephanie Perkins because it's a continuation of her story from the holiday collection but even that one…moreNo. The only exception might be the story by Stephanie Perkins because it's a continuation of her story from the holiday collection but even that one you could read and enjoy/understand without having read the first story.(less)

·  10,083 ratings  ·  2,441 reviews

Start your review of Summer Days, Summer Nights: Twelve Summer Romances
Emily May
This was a great collection. It's so many things: diverse, creative, funny and sad. That's actually what surprised me most of all: overall, this was a very melancholy, bittersweet collection, especially when compared to the mostly fun and feel-good My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. The cover makes it look very cutesy, but it tackles a lot of important issues.

"Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail" by Leigh Bardugo - 4.5/5
This was such a great place to start. Bardugo writes some of the best
Nat
Summer Days & Summer Nights includes twelve small stories that come together to be far greater than the sum of their parts.

Rating for each of the stories:
(From here on this review will contain spoilers.)

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo- 4/5 stars

There are monsters everywhere, tsigele, she said. Its always good to know their names.

It starts with Bardugos short story, which I was super excited for. I STILL think about Kaz from Six of Crows, so this tale made me even more giddy for
Cristina Monica
Slightly better than My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo 2 stars
I liked the atmosphere in this short story: its creepy and the constant detailed referral to water makes us almost feel uncomfortably wet. But its unnecessarily long, slow and the slight touch of fantasy incredibly predictable.

The End of Love by Nina LaCour 5 stars
Now this was lovely. Its a contemporary story about a girl whose parents are divorcing, who attends summer
Lala BooksandLala
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo
5 stars
This anthology kicks off perfectly with a nice small town romance revolving around the hunt for a mythical lake creature. Extra points to Leigh Bardugo for referencing my own city's legendary Ogopogo!
"a glimmering little mountain range, there and then gone, followed by the slap of - Gracie's mind refused to accept it, and at the same time clamored - a tale."

The End of Love by Nina Lacour
As expected, Nina Lacour has penned another
Shannelle
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer Days & Summer Nights is one beautifully diverse collection, and I just want to bow to Stephanie Perkins and all the other amazing authors who contributed to this anthology. All the stories in here just break all the traditional conventions for YA, along with some really nontraditional stories that wouldn't have made it as a book. It has LGBT couples and and mental health and mental conditions like autism and relationships that don't end with a happily ever after. It's an amazing ...more
Trina (Between Chapters)
The first half of this book had me wanting to DNF it because I did not enjoy so many of the stories. But the second half hit its stride and delivered what I wanted. The range of diversity in the stories was amazing!
My favorites: Inertia, A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong, The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
My least favorite: Sick Pleasure
Overall rating: 4 stars

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail
by Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Supernatural
Summary: Two teens meet every summer to search for their town's version of
Heather
Really expected more from this...
Video review coming soon!
Emer (A Little Haze)
Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo

Overall a very nicely worked summer story with elements of fantasy among the mundane. A little too many characters in the beginning...short stories need to be snappy and though this got my attention quickly I had to read back to clarify certain aspects of the character in the story "prologue" / background setup. Once the main story between Gracie and Eli started I was hooked though. It was a little predictable but feather light and with enough
Kat
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-4
This was a collection of short stories by various authors about summertime. Some of them I really enjoyed. Lots of carnivals, if thats your thing! Most had happy endings, although a few were sad. Overall entertaining. I really need to read Leigh Bardugo! Ah the to-read list that just grows and grows!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Kate (GirlReading)
3.5*

This collection included a few gorgeous gems of stories which I utterly loved but on the whole I didn't enjoy this short story collection quite as much as I did the winter edition, 'My True Love Gave To Me'.

As I did with 'My True Love Gave To Me', I haven given each story its own individual rating and mini review!

3/5* 'Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo'.
This was so bizarre but also kind of lovely. This was a summer romance over numerous years with an element of magical realism
Odette Brethouwer
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I ended up really liking this!

This book sounds like a book full of cute summer stories, but because of some reviews I already knew before I started that it was not the case. The only common factor for these stories is that they take place in the summer.

But in the first stories, there was a bit too much I didn't liked at each story. Not just the not-summery-fluffy-plotline, but also writing I didn't really liked. Every story I read, really disappointed me. Every story. And that is quite a bad
Bee
Sick Pleasures: For A and U by Francesca Lia Block ★
In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins ★★★★
Souvenirs by Tim Federle ★★★
Inertia by Veronica Roth ★★
Love Is The Last Resort by Jon Skovron ★★ (ending adds: half a star)
Good Luck and Farewell by Brandy Colbert ★★.5
Brand New Attraction by Cassandra Clare ★
A Thousand Ways This Could
Irene Sim
For Readathon-2017: 33/52
In the category "Short stories anthology"
Overall rating 3,5/5 stars.

This anthology couldnt be more summer-y unless it came as a package deal with this:

photo Cavelossim_Beach_zpsfr1kz1qh.jpg

I dont know what I expected when I started this anthology maybe the same old story of boy-meets-girl multiplied by 12 but what I got was a very rich sundae, multi-flavored and with various toppings. I loved the diversity of the stories, how some of them left me with a smile on my face and some with a bitter taste. I
Selene
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main reason I picked this book up was because I heard that Stephanie Perkins In Ninety Minutes, Turn North story had the same characters as her It's A Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown from My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. So of course I read hers first! Because if you recall... "Seriously Stephanie Perkins! You just had to do this to me! I am melting! I am mush! I need more from these characters! Please Stephanie give me more!"

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo
2 Stars
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Summer Days & Summer Nights is the first anthology Ive ever read. I didnt know what to expect, all I know is Im not a short-story person. Fortunately, it turned out better than what I anticipated it to be. For me, its split into three categories. There are four stories that struck me, and gripped me, followed by four stories that are ordinary, but doable, while the remaining four stories doesnt belong to this collection.

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo 3 stars

This has the
Shannon (kitchandpages)
I'm enjoyed 2-3 stories. Otherwise, very meh. I wanted to like it though! :(
enqi ☁️✨
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-reads, 2016
Summer Days & Summer Nights is a YA anthology of twelve summer romances by twelve different authors including Leigh Bardugo, Stephanie Perkins and Cassandra Clare. To be honest, I picked up this book because I was in a bad reading slump and I was desperate to get myself out of it. I hate being in reading slumps! Anyway, this book wasnt the perfect remedy or anything, but it did help. Some of the stories were really lovely to read, but some just made me go WTF? Ill be elaborating in my review ...more
Ginger
June book club book is finally finished! Whew!

The best stories in the book in my opinion were "Last Stand at the Cinegore", "Brand New Attraction", "A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong" and "The Map of Tiny Perfect Things". If it was not for these four stories, I would rate this book 2 stars. But because of these stories, I'll give it another star because they saved the book for me.

I just realized out of the four stories that I liked the most, two were fantasy/horror related, one was sci-fi
may ❀
Yes im wasting more precious time where I could be reading BRAND NEW books that I never experienced before instead of rereading an anthology but oh well :)))))) its summer, you cant stop me

Head Scales Tongue Tail by Leigh Bardugo
- upon my reread, I didnt ADORE this one like the first time, but still a great story
- it was fun and weird and had so many summery vibes, I enjoyed it
- I appreciated the characters too eli and grace were 👌
- 3.5 stars

The End of Love by Nina Lacour
- this was
Elle (ellexamines)
Average rating: 3.8 stars.
This is one of my favorite collections I've read this year. There were so many fabulous little stories in here, including a few new all-time faves. If you'd like to read the Favs, I'd check out Leigh Bardugo's Head Scales Tongue Tail, Stephanie Perkins' In Ninety Minutes Turn North, Veronica Roth's Inertia, and Lev Grossman's The Map of Tiny Perfect Things.

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE COVER. I'm a nerd and I did a full run-through, in case you're interested, so check out
Maddie
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Reviews of each short story can be found here

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo - ★★★★
The End of Love by Nina Lacour - ★★
Last Night at the Cinegore by Libba Bray - ★★★
Sick Pleasures: For A and U by Francesca Lia Block - ★
In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins - ★★★★
Souvenirs by Tim Federle - ★★★
Inertia by Veronica Roth - ★★
Love Is The Last Resort by Jon Skovron - ★★ (ending adds: half a star)
Good Luck and Farewell by Brandy Colbert - ★★.5
Brand New Attraction by Cassandra
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
4 stars but I didn't read every short story just the ones that really interested me*

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo
4.5 stars 💜💜💜 fabulous writing and loved the story.

The End of Love by Nina LaCour
3.5 stars. This should have been much longer but I really liked it.

Last Stand at the Cinegore by Libba Bray
Hmmm 3 stars.

Sick Pleasure for A and U by Francesca Lia
2 stars. I wasn't a fan.

In Ninety Minutes Turn North by Stephanie
3 stars. I was a bit disappointed actually.

Brand New
prag ♻
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to prag ♻ by: may ❀
Love was a tiny firefly in the distance, blinking on right when I needed it to.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fucking delightful. And some of the stories are delightful (evidence: Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by the queen herself. And Inertia by Veronica Roth. Beautiful.)

But then there's crap like Last Stand at the Cinegore: a horror romance that had me barfing. My head hurt reading it, it was terrible.

This is my problem with anthologies: there are stories that are perfect, and then there are
Teodora
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bulgarian, detailed review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Individual ratings for the stories:

"Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail" by Leigh Bardugo 5/5
Brand
Drew
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, young-adult
After I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday-themed romance anthology, My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories, I was eagerly anticipating a summer-themed collection. Warm summer nights, ice cream, lazy bike rides, and swims in the lake what could be more romantic?

Sadly, though, if not for the first and last stories I would have been completely disappointed by this anthology. In a sea of popular authors - including Veronica Roth, Libba Bray, and Cassandra Clare - I expected top notch shorts,
Carrie
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories is a collection short stories written by twelve bestselling young adult writers and edited by Stephanie Perkins. Anything from straight romance to some involving some elements of fantasy there is probably something for everyone in this collection and a good chance to try some authors you may not be familiar with.

The list of stories in the book includes:

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail
By Leigh Bardugo

The End of Love
By Nina Lacour

Last Stand at the
Peter Monn
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this book. Did not love it as much as the first anthology but it was still good. Check out my full review on my booktube channel at http://youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I was so happy when I found another book in the 12 series! These books are gorgeous! The designer is a genius! Do think think there would be a winter and autumn 12 stories as well? I think I just love to buy these books because they look amazing on my shelf!

1- Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo ★★★★★
It's first short story of the book and it's wonderful, there was a sense of magic and modern mythology that I loved, I can't wait to read more books by Leigh Bardugo. This one was about a
Nina
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Actual rating: 3.33 / 5 stars

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail by Leigh Bardugo - ★★★☆☆
Took me quite a bit to get into this story but overall, I definitely enjoyed it.

The End of Love by Nina LaCour - ★★★★☆
I really enjoyed this story. Especially because I could really relate to how the main character Flora felt because of her parents' divorce as I've gone through the same thing at the age of 16 and it was great to see her find a reason to smile again.

Last Stand at the Cinegore by Libba Bray - ★★☆☆☆

• Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet
  • El dueño de las sombras
  • Alienación (Rebelión #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily, #1)
  • Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite
  • The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily
  • Solo tres segundos
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Última generación
  • Crypta
  • Lágrimas de carne
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My next YA release is a horror novel called There's Someone Inside Your House, which will be released Fall ...more