Start by marking “All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 ImmerseOrDie Anthology” as Want to Read:
All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 ImmerseOrDie Anthology

All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 ImmerseOrDie Anthology

What do you get when you ask 34 of today's top indie authors to each submit a story and then ask a team of judges to scour that ore and pick out the gems? You get All These Shiny Worlds:

A world of today, divided, black from white, good from evil, and held apart by the taste of a cookie.

A world of griffons and glimmer bunnies, sassy llamas, and the magic of beer.

A world of
Published January 28th 2016 by Creativity Hacker Press

To ask other readers questions about All These Shiny Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All These Shiny Worlds

Start your review of All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 ImmerseOrDie Anthology
Peter
15 science fiction and fantasy stories written by indy authors, which apparently means self-published. An overall nice anthology, which suffers from the same thing as a lot of anthologies: a bit too diverse. Diversity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a number of these stories where not bad, but just not for my tastes. I also felt like while the stories are decent, they don't pushed the boundaries of sf & fantasy as much as I'd expect from so-called 'indie' writers. This anthology could have be ...more
Belinda Mellor
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this anthology. But as there are fourteen other stories, I feel I am allowed to give it a rating. I've discovered some excellent new authors among this collection and enjoyed the variety and richness it has to offer. And it's free ... what more can you ask for?
Hank Hoeft
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was a very satisfying read. I have downloaded scores of free ebooks onto my Kindle. Many of them are free because they are in the public domain--those tend to be classics. Many others are free because the author wants someone to read the book and thereby build a fan base. And while I have read many excellent novels that were free to download, many more free ebooks prove the validity of the truism that you get what you pay for. But All These Shiny Worlds really delivers the goods.

My ra
Melissa (missy)
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
1.)“All the Way,” by Graham Storrs.

2.)“The Ant Tower,” by Christopher Ruz.

3.)“Bronwen’s Dowry,” by Belinda Mellor.

4.)“Heft,” by Brett Adams.

5.)“Rolling the Bones,” by Richard Levesque.

6.)“Scales Fall,” by Dave Higgins.

7.)“The Blue Breeze,” by Regina Richards.

8.)“The Dowager’s Largesse,” by Jefferson Smith.

9.)“The First Acolyte of the Upshan Berental,” by Bryce Anderson.

10.)“The First Man in the World,” by Misha Burnett.

11.)“The Rakam,” by Karpov Kinrade.

12.)“The Red Flame of Death,” b
Ryan Toxopeus
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anthologies are tricky to rate, because there are good stories and there are not so good stories.

This anthology proclaims to include the best of the best indie authors... first the authors have to survive the 40 minute Immerse or Die challenge, then they have to do well on a full read through, then authors are asked if they would like to submit a short story to the anthology, then the stories are judged by a panel of three judges. Also, authors who get invited are given the chance to invite one
Stuart Pike
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Can't fault any of the stories in this collection. There is more than one story I'd be happy to read more of in the same setting.
Joe
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent collection of sci-fi and fantasy short stories that all fans of the genres are likely to enjoy. Of course, as with any anthology I enjoyed some stories more than others.

Now, as this is an Immerse or Die anthology the review does need to be written in IOD style.

WTF #1: "The First Man in the World": The first sentence of this first story was, to me, rather convoluted and long. It took me several reads of this sentence to fully understand it. I do not think there is anything t
Scott Ryan
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first read The Rakam by Karpov Kinrade. I loved this! It has a feel like Science Fiction or the Fantasies of yesteryear; like a cross of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Andre Norton, and L.E. Modesitt, Jr. The writing style also reminded me of other of my favorite authors from my younger years. This is a good start to a series I can tell I will enjoy, and am looking forward to the next one! I really cannot tell much of the plot without giving away too much. Large, occasionally flying whales as transport ...more
A.M.
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Immerse or Die, but knew two of the authors taking part (Graham Storrs and Chris Ruz) so decided to give it a shot. And boy, I'm glad I did.

This is an excellent collection of 15 speculative fiction stories, well-edited and varied, each story chunky enough to feel substantial. Yes, some stories will appeal to you more than others, but they're all good in their own way.

A round up below - those with a star in front of their names were personal favourites.

* THE FIRST MAN IN THE
Jim Seidman
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first several stories in this anthology were all excellent, and I started to think that perhaps the "Immerse or Die" approach used to select them was flawless. Usually, I find anthologies to be a mixed bag -- after all, the odds are against my tastes aligning perfectly with the editor's. Yet this book seemed to be an exception.

Then, in the middle of the book, there it was: a couple of stories that, while well-written, read more like prologues to series than actually compelling stories. This
Alessandro
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
These worlds shine enough to deserve 4🌟

I was expecting more science fiction stories in this collection, but are mostly 90% fantasy, that is not what I was looking for but, I have to say I enjoyed the book nonetheless.
I was going to rate it three stars until I read the last two stories , I found them very very good and lift up the overall value the book.
Anthologies on kindle are usually quite cheap but this one and the following second installment are completely free so even a major bonus.
Charlie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the most part, these were enjoyable stories. Half of these are at least five star level in my opinion, and the others are 4 or 2 star. I only skipped a couple, which while not good for that story, it is great for a collection. I read and enjoy 75% of this collection, which is a great average, and I would recommend to anyone to read.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A Few Interesting Stories.

Not a great anthology but a few stories I really enjoyed. Has a variety of different worlds that everyone should find a couple they like. My favorite was Dowager's Largesse. I enjoy humor in stories and I really wanted to read more like that. A few were also written in First Person which I dislike.
Crystal
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of these short stories were great and I would love to read a book on them. Others had me dragging my feet and putting off reading. Short stories usually are not my thing, I prefer a well developed story of epic length. But there is a little bit of something for everyone and most were enjoyable to tolerable.
Deborah Hawley
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great variations in all of the stories. Some awesome authors some I have read before and some I was introduced to. Thank you for the opportunity to revisit some and to be introduced to new writers.
Erin
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really good set of short stories

I wasn't expecting to like as many as I did, but there were a lot of good stories here. Generally I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but I guess I was in the right mood this time. It was especially good for being free!
Patricia L Fletcher
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of great stories.

I am familiar with one of the authors Misha Burnett and bought it because of him. The book as a whole is a great read. Two stories The Dowagers Largesse and The Rakam would make great series.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Thank you.

I love reading new stuff but I hate bad writing and pee poor editing. With this anthology, I very seldom desirous of getting out my red pen.
I could read as fast as I wanted and zipped through these in record time.
Thanks for the ride.
Bill Wood
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the greatest collection of short stories I've ever read! There was only one story that was so-so, and that was mostly because in trying to make an homage they didn't add anything new. The rest were fantastic, and I didn't want the book to end.
Rosemary Kay
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Very enjoyable stories, each could be extended to be fascinating books, if so I would Very much like to read them.
Kat
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Please see my updates. Each short story has its own rating.
Jorge Almeida
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best short stories anthology I've ever read.
Kim
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid collection of SF/F stories. Almost every one seemed to engage me to some degree or another. An entertaining read. Worth checking out.
Raven
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Their was only one story that dragged on for me, that i didn't care for. The rest of them i loved to no end. strange magics, unique worlds, glass spheres that talk. it was wonderful.
Joaquín
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I expected mostly nothing and ended up with almost everything. This is an amazing read.
Michael Wilson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I....remember this having had a couple gems. But I couldn't specifically recall one, having finished it yesterday.
Evonne Crosswell
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most were really good

One of the stories I did not read because of the old English dialect, however, I enjoyed all the rest of them quite a bit.
Rebecca Fortes
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed; liked the mix of different styles.

Liked most of the stories; I seemed to relate best to the female authors. After reading each story, I searched the author's name to look at what else they had written.
DOUGLAS J BERRY
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of indie authors

These short stories are a diverse range of sci fi and fantasy. Each year they publish a new set, often as a freebie.
Megan Johnson
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The stories are so immersive and interesting and the characters are well rounded. Some of them I wished would go on as a full novel!
Goodreads Librari...: Book Assigned to Wrong Dave Higgins 3 15 Feb 22, 2016 05:37AM

• Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2019 edition
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • Science Fiction Short Stories
  • Cloud Conqueror (Twin Soul Series Book 2)
  • Best of Beyond the Stars
  • Frozen Sky (Twin Soul #3)
  • Wyvern's Fate (Twin Souls #4)
  • Wyvern's Wrath (Twin Souls #5)
  • Iron Air (Twin Souls # 8)
  • Ophidian's Oath (Twin Souls #6)
  • Snow Serpent (Twin Souls #7)
  • Ophidian's Honor (Twin Souls #9)
  • Healing Fire (Twin Soul #10)
  • Cloud War (Twin Souls #12)
  • Steel Waters (Twin Souls #13)
  • The Adventure Zone: Petals to the Metal
  • Wyvern's Creed (Twin Soul Series Book 15)
  • Cursed Mage (Twin Soul Series Book 14)
Jefferson Smith has always been something of a mystery. Born in several different communities scattered across Canada, he has never been able to stay put for long and has spent his entire life walking the byways of distant realms, seeking out stories of the fantastic. Like the time he devoted two months to shoeing the seahorses of Narnia, or that six-week stint as a comic jester for the Mad King A ...more

News & Interviews

“How would I like to work for the CIA, he said, as a Non-Official agent. NOs are the guys who don’t technically exist. They are ghost operatives, working without schedules, bureaucracy, and, above all, students.” 0 likes