Start by marking “The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids” as Want to Read:

What makes Denmark the happiest country in the world--and what are the secrets of Danish parents for raising happy, confident, succesful kids, year after year? This upbeat and practical guide brings together the insights of a licensed psychotherapist and a mom -- a Dane and an American married to a Dane, respectively -- on the habits of the happiest families on earth.

The
Published August 9th 2016 by TarcherPerigee (first published December 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Danish Way of Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Danish Way of Parenting

Start your review of The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
Louise
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Overall, the message was good, but this is less of a guide and more of a collection of anecdotal evidenced tied loosely together by some non-comprehensive research. I found some of the book patronizing and other parts oversimplified. Yes, it is easy and great to parent "The Danish Way" if you live in a society where that's the norm, but the book doesn't really address dealing with conflicting opinions of parenting.

I'd sum up this book as "Don't worry about other forms of parenting and
Adrianna
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooo.... it's possible it took me about a year to read this, but that's more to do with my short attention span than the book itself. I've read quite a few research articles about why the Danes (and the Scandinavians) are the happiest people on earth- and you know it's not because they're getting more sun than anyone else! I find it such a fascinating cultural concept, so I was anxious to see what pearls of wisdom this book had for me. The idea of being able to raise kids to be the happiest they ...more
Jenna Copeland
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an American who has lived in Denmark for 15 years and is married to a Dane with h whom I have a child, I recognize a lot of these behaviors. Nevertheless, it was nice to have them systematically spelled out and there were some insights that I was also unaware of. But, I can also say that while I greatly admire the way the way children are reared in Denmark, a reader should not finish this book and believe that there are no problems with being a parent in Denmark. The societal structures and ...more
Sharon Allen
I liked the main ideas of this book, which can be summarized as:
1. Respect play, and allow non-adult-led activities.
2. Be authentic and honest towards your child.
3. Reframe things to avoid labels and emphasize positive aspects of people, situations, etc.
4. Validate your child's experiences and demonstrate empathy.
5. Model the behavior you wish for your children to imitate and avoid ultimatums/corporal punishment.
6. Demonstrate prioritizing "we" as a family over "me" when creating a cozy family
Allison
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Regurgitates lots of the modern and en vogue research on parenting and very loosely ties it to Danish cultural norms. I think both are interesting, but didn't find a very compelling reasons for them to necessarily be linked together.
Trudy Brasure
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What makes the Danes so happy? They are raised to cultivate a mindset that allows them to be resilient, patient, and compassionate. I especially like the chapters on learning to re-frame situations and practicing cozy family togetherness.
This is a thought-provoking book that could be helpful for all social situations, not just parenting.
Elena
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly ground breaking content, but the book emphasizes the best in practical positive parenting strategies and ways of living. It is a quick read with simplified summaries with suggestions on application at the end of every chapter.

I was particularly fond of the chapter on "togetherness and hygge" or "cozying around." The Danes do have systematic things in place to help foster a sense of community and togetherness, but there are some practical ideas on how to implement the concept within
Ayu Lestari Gusman
"Happy kids grow up to be happy adults who raise happy kids and so on"
Emily
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
concise advice on treating your child like a human.
Sariah
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I always love learning about the Danes. This book is a lovely insight into the Danish parenting. Super cool and applicable to people without children, too. Great for people who interact with children on a daily basis or who were children once themselves.
Ashley
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the two other books I read about Danish culture, and the parenting/healthy eating memoir called French Kids Eat Everything so I thought this might be up my alley. It's interesting but not nearly as engaging as the other books, and I think it's just because it's a straight up informational book and NOT a memoir. For me, I prefer a bit more of a personal narrative in something like this, I think.

Aside from that, the information wasn't ground-breaking if you've read anything about
Sarah Mackintosh
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I really appreciated this book. As I Christian, I would disagree with the author philosophically that all children are basically good; however this did not mar my appreciation of the book, nor did it influence my opinion of the usefulness of its principles. The book was broken down into six-parts (the acronym PARENT) as follows:

P is for play. This chapter emphasized the importance of unstructured play and a low stress lifestyle. While organized sports, music classes and good grades are great,
Jamie Hatch
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually read parenting books, but this one came highly recommended and so I thought I’d give it a try. I loved it. Wasn’t so much that the ideas were new to me but it was a good refresher and I liked learning a little bit of the history behind the theories. Overall has helped me be happier, and to realize those things that I can do make me a more positive mother and then pass down to my children.
Naomi
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Gave me a lot to think about in relation to my parenting technique.
Leslie Lindsay
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I came across THE DANISH WAY OF PARENTING (Tarcher Perigee/RandomHouse, August 2016) I knew I had to read it. Voted #1 happiest people in the WORLD for over 40 consecutive years, I figured they had to know a little something about raising well adjusted kids, right?

Well, yes.

There's one specific thing that stands out in the Danish culture that others may not employ, the concept of 'hygge,' simply translating to 'cozy togetherness.' Now, if that doesn't have you running for your fluffy
Vivian
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Most of the book (only 146 pages in this edition) is chatter citing studies (pages 149 - 177 provide further information about these). If you don't need the studies material, each chapter finishes with an at-a-glance summary. The book can be skimmed in an hour or so. It's like reading seven magazine articles plus some introductory material.

Their "P A R E N T"mnemonic works nicely --
P = Play (explaining why free play creates happier, better adjusted, more resilient adults /
A = Authenticity
Andrea
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book so much that I listened to it two times in a row. More than looking at single types of parenting practices the author's looked at an entire societies typical parenting practices to see how they where different than others.
Re-framing and cozying around where such interesting ideas. I particularly loved the idea of cozying around. The idea of everyone pitching in to make a cozy environment and leaving behind the arguments and contentions in order to have an enjoyable relaxing
Meish
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the principles highlighted in this book, in short:

Play
Authenticity
Reframing
Empathy
No Ultimatums
Togetherness and Hygge

In a lot of ways, the more democratic, process-oriented, and authoritative approach taken to parenting reflects a few things I am working on in my own life, so this was a good reminder of refocusing my own perspective, which I hope will be a natural segue into parenting in a similar way.
Jess
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mostly skimmed this due to lots of generalizations about parenting by US and Danish parents in which US parents are getting it all wrong and Danish parents can do no wrong. I was hoping for an in-depth look at another parenting culture, but it mostly seemed like the author was working out some frustrations from her family and glorifying her husband's Danish family. There were some good points, but no real evidence backing the claims or realistic parenting tips.
Stacy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Mostly common sense, but I always enjoy learning what other cultures do well when it comes to parenting.

My favorite ideas were reframing (bad weather? "At least we're not on vacation this week!") and Togetherness. I liked the idea of hygge (hoo-ga), which the author describes as lighting candles and having a relaxed family dinner at home.

Note to self: must light more candles and relax with my girls. Just don't let them burn the house down.
Amy
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The only thing in this book that I found new and different from almost every other parenting book out there right now is the chapter on hygge. I don't know that that's enough of a reason to recommend reading this whole book though.
Roslyn
Feb 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Like Mamaleh Knows Best and Mormon Parenting this book totally fails to join the genre of "what parents from other cultures are doing and what we can learn from them." Bringing Up Bebe, Tiger Mom, Amish Parenting, Swedish Parenting, German parenting, Preschool in Three Cultures - these were fantastic, super fun, super interesting. This book takes the current parenting dogma coming out of the universities and claims that all Danish people are doing that, so rather than fun stories about Danish ...more
Emil Bredahl
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually thought this book was great because of different reasons. At first i was suspicious but as I continued reading did each page present me with ideas and methods after another. It was not old ideas, but something new and refreshing, and I would like to strongly recommend the book, because its a book you will learn and grow from. Its also challenging and practical and I was captivated all through out the book. Definitely a book that one should read
Julie Portfolio
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though much of the advice is seemingly common-sense, it’s helpful to read and digest it consciously. It’s also very approachable and easy to read. I could have finished it much quicker, but instead chose to read small pieces here and there so I could absorb it a bit better than if I read it all at once—an approach that seemed to fit the content of the book, which in many ways focuses on patience and mindfulness.
Nadia Sytch
Really good principles that were new to me and that I want to practice. Unfortunately, mediocre writing, as if it was written for students of English as a foreign language - short simple sentences, 2000 words vocabulary. Also, the book could benefit from better stories and examples. So, content base 5*, form 2*.
Alexis DeJonge
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book to rethink how we parent and why, in relation to how the Danes choose to raise their children. I definitely took away some helpful points for myself, not realizing that so much of the way we think is influenced by our culture. Will be picking up the book of Hygge to better understand how to incorporate those values as well. Quick read.
Mike Zickar
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
An excellent book with lots of great, practical advice. The authors think that they are going to revolutionize the way that Americans raise kids and the book will probably fail in that regard (surely the Danish don't do everything right), but there is lots of good material here in terms of how to be a better parent.

I especially appreciated that they walked through several examples of how best to implement practices advocated within the book. . .
Sheryl Ipsen
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am from Danish ancestry, so I thoroughly loved reading about how they raise their children!!
The clever way they used each letter of the word PARENT to share the information was nice and succinct. I am going to purchase this for each of my children to use as a guide!!
Jamie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was about 100 pages too long. I felt like there wasn't really a lot of information in here, rather a lot of the same thing over and over again. However, the information given was useful, so I'll give it 3 stars.
Emily Sampson
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The information is written simply and precisely. The writers were kind in their message and it was some reassurance that maybe I’m not a terrible parent. I’d definitely recommend this to friends with young children.

• There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge)
  • The Happiest Kids in the World A Stress-Free Approach to Parenting—the Dutch Way
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • Play The Danish Way
  • Achtung Baby: An American Mom on the German Art of Raising Self-Reliant Children
  • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Komik Persatuan Ibu-Ibu
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • Bébé Day by Day: 100 Keys to French Parenting
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read (and Your Children Will Be Glad That You Did)
  • Leitwölfe sein: Liebevolle Führung in der Familie
  • How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting (from Argentina to Tanzania and everywhere in between)
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • Abrace seu filho: como a criação com afeto mudou a história de um pai
“Children are constantly focused on their parents and will mirror them. Therefore, what they experience in the home will be crucial for their empathy development.
Parents have a big responsibility because they are the primary example of empathy and must practice being empathic themselves.”
4 likes
“By not being authentic, you undermine your child’s ability to sense what is true and false. Kids” 3 likes