Start by marking “Eight Rivers of Shadow” as Want to Read:
Eight Rivers of Shadow

Eight Rivers of Shadow

(13 Days of Midnight #2)

In a high-stakes sequel, reluctant necromancer Luke Manchett must call upon the most wicked and eerie ghosts of his dispelled Host to save two innocent souls.

Its been a few months since Luke Manchett inherited a Host of eight hostile spirits from his dead father and made a deal with the devil to banish them. Lukes doing his best to blend in to the background of high
Published August 23rd 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published July 2016)

Start your review of Eight Rivers of Shadow
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Alas, I didnt enjoy this second instalment as much as I did the first. It lacked the character dynamics, the spark I had felt at the beginning of this series.

I think the main reason is the way Luke and Elza are rather isolated from the others throughout the novel, even from their parents (who apparently don't even care what their kids do?). Elzas family pops in on one page only, Lukes mother is faring better
Meggie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've already pre-ordered the next instalment. This series is no joke, peeps. Get on it.
Luke
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed this. It did nothing to the plot of the first one it wasn't necessary but I still enjoyed it.

There was barely any character development but , like the first it was action packed and entertaining. When I wasn't reading it it was all I could think about.

If you enjoyed the first book, then you will love this but it doesn't add vital information you need to know

I will be reading the last one and I am very excited for it
Finn Longman
I was very excited to be approved for this book on NetGalley because I bought the first book, 13 Days Of Midnight, a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. It's been compared to Skulduggery Pleasant; personally, I don't think it's as funny, but I can see where the comparisons come from, and it's enjoyable in its own right.

This book has various plot points but is dominated by a journey through the Underworld, a theme easily recognisable from Classical texts. Having studied the Aeneid in
Karen Barber
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The first in the series was entertaining enough, but this was a step up.
Luke and Elza find themselves trying to work out how to combat the rather strange developments. They end up drawn into a truly terrifying scenario.
I loved the blend of horror and humour. Some wonderful scenes, and I am starting to feel I'm getting under the skin of Luke.
Sophie
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-teenage-books
I love Leo's writing. It reminds me of Neil Gaiman, which is definitely a good thing. It's both funny and scary - my favourite combination. Looking forward to the next book!
Bryn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The tension and suspense in this book made it feel like the series had just began. The previous book felt like a stand alone due to the ending, but this one didnt. However, this feeling ended near the end due to a missed opportunity.

I loved that some members of the Host appeared again, but I dont like that they never stay. I think this series would be better if Luke learned to control the host instead of getting rid of them. This would make it more interesting and make it more exciting between
Bryan D
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eight Rivers is a strong sequel to 13 Days of Midnight. It has one factor I love in fiction and that's the perils of dealing with magic. This shows the dark side of magic, especially if you've inherited it from your recently deceased father who was a Necromancer.
There's clever recaps to the first book and the threat and suspense is well paced, there's plenty of surprises and a very unlikely conclusion and unlike some books I've read this year there wasn't a time I was bored as the main character
Deb Jacobs
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Saleena Davidson
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
8 Rivers of Shadow is the sequel to 13 Days of Midnight. Hunt does supply enough background that a reader can jump right in without having read the previous novel. Luke is once again, fighting for his life against demons and shadows connected to his necromancer father. This time, it's a mysterious girl who needs his help; is she trustworthy or trying to kill him? 8 Rivers of Shadow is an interesting novel which is intriguing and appealing to teens who like to read supernatural fiction.
Mel
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 a worthy sequel to "13 Days of Midnight" with a new antagonist that made up for the dispelled demon Host missing from the first book. I liked the necromancer mythology but felt let down by the Luke and Elza relationship, given how pivotal it was as "I love you enough to raise the dead" it was supposed to be. Also, personally my personal displeasure for (view spoiler)
Weisser
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
A thoughtless and unimaginative book about a superficial sociopath who is emotionally unaffected by the death of his dog.

To All The White Neurotypical Male Writers: Please stop writing books where the only female characters are a love interest who needs to be saved and a villain suffering from a mental condition. (Neurodivergent persons are far more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators of it.)

Ok thanks byeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jacinta Carter
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of those sequels that didn't necessarily need to happen. The best characters from the first book were only in this one for a few chapters and the new characters seemed to be there for the sole purpose of pushing the main character to make really stupid decisions. The best parts of this book were the chapters set in the Underworld, and the book as a whole would have been more interesting if the whole thing had taken place there.
Blake Norby
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid sequel. The premise sort of bugged me at first, why Ash stalked out Elza and Luke to try and save her twin sister seemed a bit too much. But then I remembered everything about these books is a bit over the top, which is basically the fun of them. It had enough creep value without gore, which meant more action over horror for me. I'm looking forward to the finale of the trilogy.
Cornmaven
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this sequel. Writing and story just as good. Characters are challenged, things are still weird. Ends with potential for another, but could easily just be done, i.e. no cliffhanger.

Hunt's world building was really good - lots of interesting things without endless pages of description.
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is turning out to a fun, enjoyable read with some nice twists that keep it interesting enough for me. It's not the greatest nor the best ghost story I've ever read, but it's still worth a read.
Mark Doherty
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent book. Each chapter is over 30 pages. I generally read at night before I go to sleep. Found it hard to get through all 30 pages especially when you get really tired. I will read the final one at some stage.
Wan Syaqira
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like the storyline. It keeps me ongoing eventhough I have limited time to read book daily. Can't wait for the final series to see the outcome of Luke's fate.
Wilf Morgan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable. Very easy read and slipped right back into that world after reading the first book over a year ago. Looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy next.
Linda Grant
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would you do for the one you love?

For Luke the answer is a trip to Deadside, traveling with one of his most feared enemies and losing something equally precious to him.
Jeremy Kazimer
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This was fine. The ending kinda sucked, but overall it was enjoyable. I think the main takeaway is that the writer's quality has improved immensely since his first entry. Overall, a 2.5/5.
Pamela  (Here to Read Books and Chew Gum)
Eight Rivers of Shadow, while an improvement on Leo Hunts first book in the series Thirteen Days of Midnight, still proved itself to be an overwhelmingly shallow novel with little characterisation or originality. Most of the novel felt like a rehash of Thirteen Days  mixed with some Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Orpheus and the Underworld with our protagonist, Luke Manchett, growing as a character on a scale of very little to none at all.

After the events of Thirteen Days, Leo Hunt was in the

Mandy
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been fifteen months since I read Leo Hunt's Thirteen Days of Midnight, easily the most exciting supernatural novel of 2015. In the meantime I stalked Leo on Twitter, hanging on to every word he uttered about the release of the sequel. That day finally came in July but like a squirrel with a nut, I decided in my infinite wisdom to hoard the book away until I could devour it in one sitting.

Fast forward to now. I'm on vacation and I have indeed finished it in one setting and the reason I'm
Trevor Cox
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book overall but it got very confusing at times. You really have to follow along very closely to understand it. I would defiantly recommend this book to somebody.
Cas
3.5 Stars

~I received a copy from Hachette New Zealand and willingly reviewed it~

Luke Manchett is no longer popular. Shunned by most of the school, he sits with his girlfriend Elza Moss a lunchtimes as far away from his former friends as possible. When a new girl, Ashley Smith comes as an exchange student from California, Luke's suspicions are high as he knows immediately that something is up and that she isn't who she appears to be.

This book is definitely better than its prequel, but there are
Yami
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the kind of fast paced novel, it was more interesting than the first one, and it is nice to read something that can twist and turn with each page, you cant really predict how it will go , though the pattern felt somehow like something I read somewhere before, maybe cos it took place in the underworld, and it intertwined with the Greek methodology , which is the forever favorite inspiration for writers of this criteria.

about the Plot:(view spoiler)
Emily Dean
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating would be closer to 4 stars, however I didn't enjoy the sequel as much as the first so I couldn't give it the same rating.

I did enjoy this book. I love the basic premise; ghosts, necromancy, magic...all topics I love reading about. However, I didn't feel as emotionally invested in the characters this time round, I don't know if it was because they were so isolated themselves that I also felt it or what. Anyone who knows me well will understand why I wasn't the biggest fan of the
Sophie
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore this series and I personally thought this book is a great sequel to '13 Days of Midnight' which quickly became my new favourite book (and still is). Even though '8 Rivers of Shadow' hasn't become my new favourite it is an exceptional story and kept my gripped until the end. Although some of the "twists" I thought were quite obvious and didn't shock me, there was plenty more around the corner that do, and so the whole book was not a complete mystery but had plenty of surprises ...more
Debbie Tanner
This is the second in a series (and I didn't read the first one), but the author gives you enough backstory to not feel completely lost as you are reading this riveting tale. It's about a boy who is a necromancer and is still trying to figure out all his powers. A new girl shows up at his school and his world is turned upside down... it's hard to figure out who to trust and as he moves forward, he doesn't always make the best choices. He is a very likable hero and although he's not as funny as ...more
Nickey
I was very lucky to get an early reading copy from the publisher at the Books With Bite 2016 Showcase - very lucky indeed!

I love this series, the writing is great: detailed and immersive, and the story is unputdownable with twists and turns you don't see coming.
Don't want to write any spoilers, just one thing: Deadside is dead creepy and definitely one of my favourite settings in these books so far!

Now can we get on to 2017 so I can read the last book, please?

• The Haunting of Blackwood House
  • 高嶺と花 1 (Takane to Hana #1)
  • 贄姫と獣の王 1 [Niehime to Kemono no Ou 1] (Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1 (The Girl from the Other Side, #1)
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown
  • Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook
  • We Are Displaced
  • Ash
  • Texas Outlaw (Rory Yates #2)
  • Loveless
  • The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives
  • Release
I'm the best riter

13 Days of Midnight (3 books)
  • 13 Days of Midnight