Start by marking “Snow White: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Snow White: A Graphic Novel

Snow White: A Graphic Novel

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  6,406 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews
Award-winning graphic novelist Matt Phelan delivers a darkly stylized noir Snow White set against the backdrop of Depression-era Manhattan.

The scene: New York City, 1928. The dazzling lights cast shadows that grow ever darker as the glitzy prosperity of the Roaring Twenties screeches to a halt. Enter a cast of familiar characters: a young girl, Samantha White, returning
Published September 13th 2016 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Snow White, please sign up.
Madison You read them on your own not off of the site. The site is to help monitor your reading and you can see what other people thought of books and what…moreYou read them on your own not off of the site. The site is to help monitor your reading and you can see what other people thought of books and what you might want to read. Also, I am pretty sure that 1928 is not very "modern day".(less)
Serethiel ☽ ✨ I enjoyed it, but I found the prettiness of the pictures better than the actual story, itself. :)

·  6,406 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews

Start your review of Snow White: A Graphic Novel
Lola
3.5 stars.

I kid you not when I say that it took me 5 minutes – no more, no less – to read this graphic novel.

Why? Because it contains scarce series of dialogs.

And that’s a problem, even though the aquarelle illustrations are beautiful, because it takes away from the substance of the story.

When I say that the illustrations are pretty to look at, I do mean it, but they are also quite simple.

It works to release a peculiar atmosphere which in return releases emotions inside the reader and enthrals
Calista
Matt is retelling Snow White in the 1920s or 30s modern US. His drawings are mostly black and white. The artwork is lovely. This is a retelling of the fairytale. I am assuming he is expecting his reader to know the fairy tale. He glosses over many plot points accept the bigs ones. I think if you have seen or read the fairy tale, you would be lost in this story. It wouldn't make sense. Since, as a reader we do know the story by heart, he can gloss over little details and present the story ...more
Betsy
I’d have said it couldn’t be done. The Snow White fairytale has been told and retold and overdone to death until there’s not much left to do but forget about it entirely. Not that every graphic novel out there has to be based on an original idea. And not that the world is fed up with fairytales now (it isn’t). But when I heard about Matt Phelan’s Snow White: A Graphic Novel I was willing to give it a chance simply because I trusted its creator and not its material. The crazy thing is that even ...more
Kelli
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I may have sighed when I opened this one. My son has been watching Once Upon a Time on Netflix and I’m kinda all set on Snow White these days. This, however, is a creative retelling of the original tale. Once the dwarfs appear, the story takes on a warmth I never realized from the original. Unique and quite well done. 4.5 stars
Kimberly Antill
I have read very few graphic novels, but of all that I have read this one has been my favorite. The illustrations are beautiful and expressive, which is very important since there is very little text. However, as long as a person knows the fairy tale of Snow White and I assume most do, it is an easy story to follow. This retelling of Snow White is unique and I liked that it was set in the early 1900s.
David Schaafsma
I am a fan of the rich, sensitive, image-based storytelling of Matt Phelan. He’s nostalgic, he loves history, and loves to create historical fiction, rendering stories with such quiet intensity it is hard to think most video-gaming children will appreciate them, but I think of them as all ages picturebooks and graphic novels. Not easily categorizable, which is good, he’s himself, this Phelan. Who is almost equally tween and teen, illustrator and graphic novelist? Check out Bluffton: My Summers ...more
Jess
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This story was very short. It had very minimal dialogue and this made the story hard to follow, even though there were plenty of pictures. It just made the story feel sort of choppy. However, the art was very beautiful, so that helped bump the rating up just a little bit.
Chessa
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was convinced for about 2/3rds of this book that it would be a 3-star read, but it won me over in the end.

A beautiful, impressionistic retelling of the classic fairy-tale, set in depression-era NY.

I loved, SO MUCH, the recasting of Snow White's 7 Dwarves. I don't want to say too much, because spoilers. But it was a great choice.

The feminist in me wishes that there could have been a retelling of the saving of Snow, but I guess we'll just chalk it up to magic and leave it.

The wavy, watercolor
Kate Willis
I read this at the library. Very interesting illustrations and a fun twist on the classic story! Unfortunately, since it is in the film noir style, some of the illustrations are a little graphic and scary. (It may also be closer to the Grimm version than the Disney one, which does make a difference.) ;) The equivalent of the seven dwarves were sooo cute!
Sesana
A fairly straight-forward retelling of Snow White, set in the late 1920s. The illustrations are beautiful, and the whole is very sparing on dialog. Interestingly, Phelan chose to borrow a lot from Disney's version, enough so that it almost reads as an adaptation of an adaptation at times.
Rashika (is tired)
This one is really hard to rate it because while I really enjoyed the graphic novel, I also think it needed more substance.

a better review to possibly come in the future?
Elizabeth A
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, kids-ya, 2016
I'm not sure what I expected when I picked up this graphic novel, but it wasn't what I got. I love the art, and the setting of this classic story in New York City, circa 1928, is a brilliant idea. The plot does not stray far from the Disney adaptation, and the casting of Snow and the seven street urchins was quite fun. There is so little dialog, that this might almost be a wordless picture book, and while the art is wonderful, I found the story itself just OK. So, 4 stars for the art, and 2 for ...more
Agnė
2.5 out of 5
For a retelling of Snow White, I expected more. It's basically the same Disneyfied version (hapless heroine and happily ever after included) in the new setting (New York City in 1920s-1930s).

Although twists on the glass coffin as (view spoiler) and the seven dwarfs as (view spoiler) were quite clever, other twists didn't really work for me (view spoiler).
Aimee
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Snow White from Walker Books Australia to review. I love fairy-tale retellings so I was excited to read a graphic novel retelling. I still need to read the original fairy-tale though…

I don’t know much about the pre-Depression era in America so it was interesting to see a version of Snow White told during that time. Even though that wasn’t the focus of the story.

I really liked the illustrations in this, they were beautiful and very film noir which I’ve never seen in a graphic
Mary Catelli
A retelling of the tale. Set in Great Depression New York City. The seven dwarves are in fact seven little boys, street urchins. Amazing how faithful you can get in a (mostly?) mundane tale.

Art has its interesting aspects.
Sarah Hannah
I don't know why people don't do interesting retellings of this one more often. Really good.
Elevetha
**An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

*Re-read Nov 2016 with finished product.*

I guess what I assumed were rough black and white sketches back when I read this through Netgalley were actually the final products. They did look nicer in the published paper copy vs grainy e-book, but I would have liked a few panels to be a little more clear.

I loved certain elements of the story, especially how the Seven "dwarfs" were done and how the
Irene McHugh
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like film noir, this adaptation is for you.

Most of the art is black & white with intentional splashes of red and a few other colors. Story begins in 1918 moving through the Roaring 20s and Great Depression in the Big Apple of NYC.

Phelan cleverly uses this urban setting to tell Snow White's story and explore class relationships. Snow's relationship with the "dwarfs" here is much more meaningful than the Disneyfied version.

A quick read that had me rethinking several aspects of the
Anna
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful retelling set in 1930's depression era New York, with just a hint of magic.
Popsugar Challenge 2017: a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read (Graphic Novel)
Madi
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful.
Kayla Leitschuh
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful new take on the classic Snow White story. Set in 1920s New York. I loved the gorgeous illustrations!
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
I was excited to receive this book (I won it in an Armchair BEA giveaway so no pressure to review), because I have grown to love the graphical novel media and who doesn't like fairy tales reinterpreted?

Snow White by Matt Phelan takes full advantage of this medium and like another blogger eloquently stated, it really does play like a film on paper. Phelan has a knack for when picture versus dialogue fits, although part of me would have enjoyed a bit more dialogue. The pictures are gorgeous, and
Cara (Wilde Book Garden)

I liked some things about the art, but the smudgy drawing style sometimes made it hard to see what was going on. The setting was fine, but again, very dingy and sort of repetitive.

I'm still relatively new to graphic novels so I'm still struggling to adapt my thoughts on characterization to a completely visual format, but none of the characters really grabbed me even when I liked some of their interactions with each other. (Although this could also be partly due to the fact that
Grace
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I literally just picked this up from the library because I saw someone mention it on booktube once. This was seriously the quickest graphic novel I've read (it literally felt like I was reading the dankest children's book).

I did, however find it quite enjoyable. It was a new take on a fairytale and it was a delight to read. The 7 dwarves seriously stole the show! The made it a lot more interesting and engaging as well. I just wish that it was longer and we spent
Melanti
A middle-grade graphic novel retelling Snow White, (more the Disney than the original) set in New York during the late 20s-early 30s. Snow White's father is a stock broker who managed not to go broke in the crash. The evil step-mother is a greedy gold-digging actress. The magic mirror is magic ticker tape. The forest is Hooverville...

IT shouldn't work. At all.
But it does. I have no idea how, but it works very well.

Not a huge fan of the artwork, but the lack of dialog did make me pay more
Leah
As far as the retelling goes, it was clever! There really wasn't anything new to the story, you immediately know that Samantha White is Snow, her papa will die, her stepmother is wicked. I did enjoy how the dwarves became seven street urchins though! When all is said and done, I liked this one, though I don't have much to say here: it's Snow White set during the Jazz Age. What's not to like?

For more thoughts head over to The Pretty Good Gatsby!
Cori Reed
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had zero expectations going into this graphic novel and I really really enjoyed it. A very simple retelling of Snow White set in 1920's New York. The art was lovely and I felt genuinely drawn into this world even though this is a very quick read. Well done.
Emily
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the setting of this version and I liked the style of the art a lot. Overall, I think this was a pretty good adaptation of Snow White and wouldn't mind reading a longer novel like it. I do wish there was more dialogue, but it didn't ruin the story.
Serethiel ☽ ✨
A lovely Snow White retelling. I loved all the pretty illustrations. ^_^
Jennie
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new twist with the age old story set in a different time.

Perfect amount of words in a noir-like setting.

Matt has found a fan in me.

Must read!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #94 Snow White by Matt Phelan 1 1 Jul 31, 2016 10:18PM

• The Okay Witch
  • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • Speak: The Graphic Novel
  • Graveyard Shakes
  • Pashmina
  • Fake Blood
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
Matt Phelan made his illustrating debut with Betty G. Birney’s The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs (Atheneum/Simon & Schuster). Since then he has illustrated many picture books and novels for young readers, including Where I Live by Eileen Spinelli (Dial), Very Hairy Bear by Alice Schertle (Harcourt), and The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (Simon & Schuster) winner of the 2007 ...more