Start by marking “Absaroka Ambush” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Absaroka Ambush

William W. Johnstone

Absaroka Ambush

(The First Mountain Man #3)

The Price of Gold

A wagon train winding through the remote reaches of teh Rocky Mountain high country can attract plenty of scavengers--some of them human--like Vic Bedell and his gang of cutthroats. All he wants is the women, who can be traded for gold mine supplies...or used for whatever else he has in mind. But he didn't count on Preacher leading that train.

The Color of
Published May 31st 2016 by Pinnacle (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Absaroka Ambush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absaroka Ambush

Debbi
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preacher is "the man" but I've read the first three books in the twenty-five book series now and I've had enough of his heroics for awhile. I really like the books and am sure I'll go back to them in the future.
Eric
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William W. Johnstone can really tell a tale. Preacher has returned again. This time to lead a group of ladies across the wilderness to the Pacific coast. Does he do it without trouble? Of course not what fun would that be to the reader. Filled with action and adventure this one is sure one not to miss for lovers of a great western.
Tori
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This was quite the saga, and I really enjoyed it, but it's not for the faint of heart, violence-wise. Ends well, with closure of all the important details. I think I'll keep reading the series.
Sarah Alawami
The book was good. although they focused too much on the sub plut, the attack and how that was goign to happen. At least for me they did. If you want a book wiht a fast plot, this is not it.
Timothy Boyd
Pretty good western series. If you like Johnstone's writing you will like the series. Recommended
Destiny Long
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed book w/ fun facts and adventure

This story was filled with fun and adventure, as well with tons of historical facts. This book makes you fall in love with characters as well as dislike some of the others. This book makes you want to get into a time machine, go back to the 1830s and head westward into the wilderness. This book shows that women are just as courageous as the men unfortunately it also shows women can be just as evil and ruthless, if not more. This book definitely shows
Violet
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Preacher is absolutely amazing. In this episode he has signed on with the government to lead a wagon train of about 150 women westward. He enlists the aid of a few friends and a small force of soldiers start out with them, only to be killed off except for their commanding officer. Out of necessity he has the women dress as men and teaches them how to use firearms. They hold their own against Indians and outlaws. After delivering the women he turns around and goes back east, ending with a visit t ...more
Susan Moore
Dec 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not happy. Same book, different year

I bought this book under the same title but it was a different year. This one says 1993, the other is 2007. I going to get my money back. But, Mr. Johnstone needs to have Amazon fix this so that it shows up as already purchased. Low-down dirty, and sneaky way to sell more books? Maybe.....maybe not. Watch out!
Mikel Rhodes
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different way of thinking and life.

A excellent book adout the Mountain Men vs the so called civilized eastern society. If you enjoy reading stories about the lives and times of this unique breed of American adventurers then I highly recommend this series.
Kevin Key
Preacher leads 150 women across the country. He finds his way back to his parents home.
Jim
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good and entertaining novel. I enjoyed reading this novel and recommend it to everyone.
Timothy Roark
Eventful

This book is very eventful. I think this is he 5th book in the Preacher series that I have read. Good book.
Charles Cavalier Jr.
Good as the other Johnstone books.
Terry Mcmullen
enjoyed.
Lorrie
This book started off decently enough. The initial concept was interesting. Preacher might have been a touch out of character, but I could deal with it.

And then at about the half-way point in the book the sub-plot became the main plot, and I completely lost interest.

By the end of the book, the initial plot was completely forgotten, and wasn't even addressed again. We never did find out what happened to the wagon train full of women.
larry brashear
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellente!

Very enjoyable tale as usual. Well written with great and interesting plots. Once you start reading you can't put it down before you finish!
Barbara Lee Wood
WHAT A MAN

Well Preacher is shanghai-ing his friends to accompany him to California. He's escorting one hundred fifty betrothed women to their new lives and husbands to be. Well it's a hell of a trip and he loses friends whom he's known since he's been living in the mountains, and that's over twenty plus years. But the worse friend he lost was HAMMER, his beloved horse who he had promised this was his last trip and he could retire. No, they killed his horse, shoot him four times and one of the bu
PWRL
Richard Barrett
Jun 12, 2017
Bob Carlson
Jan 12, 2014

• Rattlesnake Valley (The Loner, #5)
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • The Goodnight Trail (Trail Drive #01)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Blood Riders
  • A Texas Ranger
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
William Wallace Johnstone was a prolific American author, mostly of western, horror and survivalist novels.

Born and raised in southern Missouri, Johnstone was the youngest of four children. His father was a minister and his mother a school teacher. He quit school when he was fifteen and worked in a carnival and as a deputy sheriff. He later served in the Army and, upon returning to civilian life,

The First Mountain Man (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The First Mountain Man (The First Mountain Man, #1)
  • Blood on the Divide (The First Mountain Man, #2)
  • Forty Guns West (The First Mountain Man, #4)
  • Cheyenne Challenge (The First Mountain Man, #5)
  • Preacher and the Mountain Caesar (The First Mountain Man, #6)
  • Blackfoot Messiah (The First Mountain Man, #7)
  • Preacher (The First Mountain Man, #8)
  • Preacher's Peace (The First Mountain Man, #9)
  • Preacher's Justice (The First Mountain Man, #10)
  • Preacher's Journey (The First Mountain Man, #11)