Start by marking “Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)

Sins of Empire

(Gods of Blood and Powder #1)

The young nation of Fatrasta is a turbulent place - a frontier destination for criminals, fortune-hunters, brave settlers, and sorcerers seeking relics of the past. Only the iron will of the lady chancellor and her secret police holds the capital city of Landfall together against the unrest of a suppressed population and the machinations of powerful empires.

The insurrectio
Published March 7th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Sins of Empire, please sign up.
Wilson Goodson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I freaking loved it!! I can vaguely remember the first trilogy in this world. And I think I read them twice!! Whatever! I loved this first one and the MC Vlora, whom I can’t remember if I liked her before. Whatever.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Petros Triantafyllou
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sins of Empire is, undoubtedly, the undisputed high point of McClellan's career so far.

Colonel Ben Styke, a decorated war hero of the Fatrastan's war for independence, has been convicted and imprisoned for the past ten years as a war criminal.
Silver Rose Michel Brevis, a governmental spy of Fatrasta, is tasked with the duties of a detective, a job with a required set of skills that he doesn't possess.
Lady Vlora Flint, a General and co-owner of a mercenary company called 'Rifle Jackets', is
Bookwraiths
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Flintlock fans! Powder pundits–
And all lovers of spellbinding stories of magic and mayhem:
Today, today, you are redeemed from boredom,
Set free from the doldrums of reading despair.
For that most adroit of authors, Brian of McClellan,
Has fired off the opening salvo of another fantasy series.
Challenged all comers to brave his newest creation.

description

From the beginning, Sins of Empire is a dazzling delight,
Spun from the same enchanted stuff as The Powder Mage Trilogy,
Set i
Stefan Bach
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay, main character of this series is Vlora, right? Vlora Flint, right?
Same no-POV, misread, misunderstood, shallowly developed Vlora Flint from Powder Mage series that everyone complained about?
Well, that’s the problem.
New series, new world, new timeline – same Vlora Flint.

And why am I more invested in characters like Ben Styke? Michel Whatever-His-Surname-Actually-Was?
Mr. Tampo and Mama Palo? Oh, don’t get me started on Mr. Tampo and Mama Palo, characters which were singlehandedl
Solseit
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The re-read is as beautiful - it not more - than the first read. The book is full of interesting characters, one more interesting than the other. Some of old favorites and some new favorites just make their way through the story in a continuous change of pace and events, twists and turns and dynamic story, just in Brian McClellan's style.
If you have not started this series yet (and you have read The Powder Mage trilogy), this is a great story to begin and be brought in a new world with known ma
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/20/...

As you know, I’m quite a fan of Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy, and so I was thrilled when I discovered he was planning to write a new series called Gods of Blood and Powder set in the same universe. Sins of Empire is a return to this world of magic and war, taking place approximately ten years after the end of The Autumn Republic. While the main cast may contain a few familiar faces, this novel is in fact a new sto
Conor
Jan 03, 2017 added it
The start of the new series from one of my favorite fantasy authors and the only returning character announced is my least favorite character from the previous series. Cool, cool. And now it seems that Vlora is even going to be one of the major characters. Cool. Great. Even more Vlora. I'm not mad at all. At all.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to this series. The Powder Mage was one of my favorite fantasy series in recent years (with the added bonus of being delivered on time without any ex
Scott  Hitchcock
Although a second trilogy it's a continuation of many of the same characters as the first. The new characters that are introduced however are very engaging and overshadow Vlora who I just cannot warm to. She just doesn't have the depth and charm a lot of the other characters.

The first 80% is mystery and intrigue. The last 20% the battle we've been expecting. The cloak and dagger was entertaining. Round up to a 4* but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first series.
Terence
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fatrasta is a nation at conflict with itself. It subjugates a people group and their desire for equality. The Lady Chancellor uses not only her secret police the Blackhats, but also employs the Riflejack Mercenary Company led by Lady Vlora Flint. Fatrasta has also buried it's heroes who helped win them freedom, most notably Ben Styke. Styke has spent 10 years rotting in a Fatrastan labor camp. Fatrasta's problems may be worse than they initially feared, as a long silent threat appears to have re ...more
Kaitlin
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on audio and I am really very glad I did so as I have previously tried the Powder Mage series by this author and although it had promise it didn't really feel as developed as I wanted it too (probably because it was a debut series)...However, this series is set in the same world, following on from the events of the previous series, but it can be read as a series on its own. I only read book 1 in the Powder Mage series before starting this one, and it all made sense to me an ...more
Esme
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I tried reading Promise of Blood a few years ago, and although I finished, it didn’t leave any lasting impression on me and I didn’t continue on with the series. From what I remember, it had all the elements I’m usually intrigued by, but for whatever reason, it just didn’t land for me. So, when I heard that this series was better than the first I decided to pick it up, and I’m really happy I did. Giving a second chance to authors who didn’t suit you the first time around is a good habit to get i ...more
Peter

Update after the re-read: It holds up! I didn't want to say much about a certain character(s) (view spoiler) before it came out, but I feel like I can say a bit now. I'm really happy with how Brian treated them. I liked their arc in the other stuff he's written, and I'm happy they get such a prominent spot in this series. I think it's really great to show flaws in characters, and it's easy to see how the flaws from someone's history really i
Nils | nilsreviewsit

‘The smell of the dead, the wind in his hair, the blood on his steel: it made him feel vibrant and alive like nothing in the world had ever done for him.’
🗡
Sins of Empire is the first instalment of the Gods of Blood and Powder series by Brian McClellan. If you’ve been following me for a while you’ll know how much I love The Powder Mage trilogy, so you can imagine my anticipation in reading this novel which is set in the same world. I’m delighted to tell you that this book was an absolute pleasure
Roy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*

I read this earlier in the year and wasnt overly fond of it. I gave it a 2nd read after a friend pestered me to read it again, and for some reason it changed my view. 10 years have passed and we enter a new city with some new characters and some old characters from the original trilogy who had smaller bit roles.Great action, pacing was fun, characters were not as strong as the 1st trilogy, but still likeable. Perfect setup/intrigue for the 1st 3/4 and a great climatic battle in the last 1/4.
Rob
Executive Summary: An excellent start to a new trilogy in Brian McClellan's Power Mage series. This one is a lot more political than the previous series was, which may be why I think this may be his best book yet.

Audiobook: I got Promise of Blood in ebook for cheap, so I stuck to that format for the rest of the series. Now I wish I had gone audiobook instead. Christian Rodska is absolutely fantastic. He doesn't attempt to do any feminine voices, which is probably a smart move on his part, but hi
Ceki
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I must confess that this read has proved to be more enjoyable and interesting than its prequel trilogy Powder Mage.

It wouldn't be far from the truth to describe Sins of Empire as a recycled version of its prequels, but mostly in a good way: the narrative is still consistent and enjoyable while the action is fast-paced.

However, the new characters are definitely the highlight of this novel. I've become really attached to them to the point of preparing myself to go on a manhunt if McClellan killed
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I find that I’m having trouble finding words eloquent enough to describe how much I loved Sins of Empire. I adored McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy and getting to return to this world and catch up with familiar characters is one of the most satisfying feelings ever. Sins of Empire is set about 10 years after the events of the Powder Mage trilogy and rather than being set in The Nine, we get to more broadly explore the nation of Fatrasta.

Those of you already familiar with McClellan’s books may re
Lema
Oct 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
More Brian McClellan? More Powder Mage? Only ten years after the original trilogy?
YES PLEASE.

description

After binge-reading his first trilogy and deducing that every book is an improvement of its precedent, I can easily say that I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Brittany
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Stars!!

Dark Epic Fantasy- Engaging from the start!

I was not sure when I added this to my TBR what to expect. I did not read the Powder Mage series so this was my first Brian McClellan Novel. It sounded pretty interesting- so when I opened the book to start, I was pleasantly surprised from the very first page. Starting out with a bang- literally from the prologue- This book took a hold of my attention and immediately, I was invested.

The world building was amazing and the characters are
C.P. Cabaniss
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Why did I wait until a year after it was released to read this book? The only good thing about it is the fact that book two is not available and I won't have to wait long before reading it. And hopefully book three will be released in less than a year.

This was excellent. I really enjoyed the Powder Mage trilogy when I read them last year, but I wasn't sure how this series would go since it was set in the same world a few years down the line and had some of the same characters. That either usual
Kitvaria Sarene
This one was once again a fast, entertaining, thrilling and action packed ride!

There are some recurring characters, as we start off with Vlora and Olem we feel right at home.
We also get some all new characters, as it takes place years after the Powder Mage series. And they once again were amazing! Ben Styke who we met in one of the novellas is a main character - and I absolutely love him! Others are good, bad and in between - just like I want my characters to be.

There are as expected sume unexpe
Skylar Phelps
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These Powder Mage books just keep getting better.

I have zero complaints and I’m enjoying the ride! One thing I really enjoy about Brian McClellan’s books is that there is always plenty of intrigue. There are always plans within plans within plans and the POVs are showcased in a way that really maximizes the suspense and keeps you guessing.

Wonderful characters, unique world, and very talented storytelling. You really can’t go wrong with these books.
Olivier Delaye
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imaginative and immersive world, memorable characters, gunpowder magic (?!?), intriguing story and plot(s), effective prose… what more can a Fantasy lover ask for?
Sarah Merrill
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, I don't know when I accidentally rated this 2 stars--a slip of hand while on my phone? I loved this book, I must rectify this!
Andy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fant-epic
Rtc, final score is like 3.75

After finishing his opening trilogy I’ve wanted to get back to the world of flintlock fantasy for a while now & pleased to be picking this up!

Vlora is now a general & goes by the name of Flint, we also see the return of Colonel Odem but that appears to be where the prior characters stop as we are introduced to a new set of protagonists from the world. We are also no longer in The Nine but across the seas in another part of the world in a city called Landfall.
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Kindle daily deal 07May17 on amazon for $2.99 here
Mark
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books, where you turn the last page and relise that’s there no more to go till the next book comes out. Then you start calling the author rude names because he hasn’t made it longer and he’s ruined your enjoyment of his excellently written book.
Sherwood Smith
Apr 26, 2017 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Funny, gritty, imaginative with tantalizing glimpses of the numinous, great action scenes, and a variety of heroes who quickly became favorites.

I haven't read the previous series, but this one catches the reader up on the city of Landfall, its complicated history, and the various factions vying for power. Villains you love to hate, heroes to root for, complexity and humor, tender and insightful moments as well as hardcore action, with believable military thinking and follow-through.

Not much to
Tammy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 epic stars.
I couldn't have ask for more anticipated story! Sin of Empire has it all be it mystery, magic or action. The book has intriguing surprises and twists in every plot I just can't wait for the next adventure!
Andrew Lukyanenko
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of the new series is great! At first I thought that it lacks spirit of the previous trilogy... but things became more and more interesting with each chapter. I definetely liked the book.

• The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #0.5)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)
  • The Witchwood Crown (The Last King of Osten Ard, #1)
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • The Legion of Flame (The Draconis Memoria #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Camp

Gods of Blood and Powder (3 books)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
“Styke's people were outnumbered two to one. The Dynize, he decided, should have brought more men.” 3 likes
“Vlora drummed her fingers against her leg and locked eyes with Olem. She formed a ring with her hands, pointed at Michel’s neck. Olem shook his head emphatically. She mouthed the word please. Olem rolled his eyes.” 3 likes