Start by marking “Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life” as Want to Read:
Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life

Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life

Everybody knows Dean Koontz, the hugely popular novelist with numerous best-sellers to his name. But not everyone knows Trixie Koontz. Trixie was the Koontz family's beloved golden retriever and in her lifetime gained quite a following of her own. This book tells her story.
Published September 1st 2008 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Bliss to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bliss to You

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humans who love dogs and/or want to be Happy
A great & happy tail told through the eyes of a Wonderful Dog.This book makes me so happy :-) I read this back in 2009 and in 2012 I listened to the audiobook with the introduction read by Dean Koontz. Read again on New Years Day 2013. Listened/Read again June 2014. Listed below are Trixie's 8 steps of bliss, but I recommend reading the short book or listening to the 1 hour audio so that Trixie can elaborate on each of these steps for you.

1. Be Calm - Reside in Quiet Heart
2. See the World in
Josie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: group-read, work
Ohmigod, any uplifting or self improvement message is ruined by the poor use of language in this book. I don't care if you're pretending that your dog wrote it: verbs and pronouns and important and useful pieces of speech. If you decide to drop them you need to be consistent. If you decide to use them, be consistent.

I will never get that time back. At least it was a quick read.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Imagine if a Golden Retriever Angel returned from "The Other Side" to impart the simple secrets to Bliss? Wouldn't you want to read that book?

Trixie Koontz, who is dog imparts her beautiful voice in this glorious book of happiness.
Monica Tarrant
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a dog lover and one who thinks I know what my dog is thinking at all times, this was a short listen (book on CD) on yesterday's drive to work. It put life in perspective and reminds us to slow down and appreciate what is in front of us and not to worry about the future - to live in the present. This was the third of his books written from the perspective of his golden retriever but in this book, his dog Trixie is speaking to him from the "other side" as she has passed on. Ember (my dog) is 14 ...more
Kenneth Foreman
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of our favorite books by Dean & Trixie Koontz!

Kiyomi repeatedly asks for me to read it to her
Joshua Freislich
“Can be optimistic only if you limit worry to things you can change.”
― Trixie Koontz, Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life

This hour length audiobook is a huge slice of love that Dog knows well. An excellent reminder to find Quiet Heart and to enjoy cookies. I will recommend this to all who enjoy back pats and belly tickles.
Kunal
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Another book that I randomly picked up when I was walking through the aisles in the library that has failed me. This should be a reminder of why I should never pick up random books from the library based on their covers!

Overall, this was a horrible book. I thought it may have potential as the book is supposed to be written from a dog's point of view of how we can all find happiness and I felt that it was a book that dog lovers would appreciate (although I hate dogs, thought it would be good for
kari
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
A profound little book with lots to say and a sense of fun. Example:

"The world is fun. Meadows to run. Ponds to swim. Hills, valleys, shores to explore. A bajillion things to smell. So much to learn, to see. Cats to chase.

Warning: can't achieve bliss if catch cat. Cats are only for chasing. Catch cat, get lacerated nose, go to vet, get cuts sewn shut, needle in butt, and everybody laughing, especially cat."

This is written by Trixie Koontz from "the other side." I laughed and cried. Trixie is ver
Mary
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, juvenile
This is a short book-can be read in an hour or so but you will probably read it many times. It is written by Dean Koontz with the real author being his much loved but deceased dog Trixie. Trixie channels through Dean's computer while he sleeps. The book is a joy to read. No murder, mayhem, evil, or fast paced adventure. You will miss none of that. Instead I laughed at the silliness, the honesty, simplicity and love that comes from the narrative. As always, Koontz adds sarcasm, humor, and throws ...more
Jen
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books
Fun, uplifting, positive bits of doggy wisdom that made me laugh out loud several times, including, but not limited to

Mailman does not come to house to kill us all. Comes to house to torture and then kill.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. More for the dog.

Here is another dumb saying: it is what it is. No kidding. If it isn't what it is, then what would it be? And if it is what it isn't, what the hell is going on here? ...Some human sayings not dumb, just painfully obvious.
Stacey
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was drawn to this book mostly because of Trixie's picture on the cover and the fact that I am a dog lover. I thought this book would be great, especially told from a dog's point of view. I was disappointed though with Trixie's broken English and sentence structure. I think I was expecting something more along the lines of Marley and Me and this book is simply not the same.
To be fair, I did listen to this book on CD and from the very first word I was disappointed with the person reading.
Vicki Jaeger
Aug 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: hmm, probably wouldn't
Recommended to Vicki by: advance reading copy
The writing in the voice of Trixie, his dog, was a bit too "twee" (saccharine sweet & precocious) for me. If you can get past that, there are some nice little observations about life. But it's really more like a "thought a page" book, not really a content-driven book.
Phyllis Wright
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't enjoyed a book this much in ages!
Margie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute book written through Trixie, Dean's beloved Golden Retriever. A little hard to adjust to the way it's written but a quick read.
Jaqui
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trixie is a very intelligent dog that has a good repore with all humankind
Sandy
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It made me cry and laugh. It helps to be a dog lover.
Carol Urtz
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good advise, especially from a dog!
Sue
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-tales
Great gift for any dog lover.
Michelle Barnett
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it – good information in a very condensed form and was really funny -I laughed until my face hurt
Joanne
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone should really read this book - if you don't mind shedding a few tears at the end. Trixie's lessons for life are right on the mark......or, er, pawprint.
Shanna
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book, as I do all of Trixie’s books. The broken language used in it bothers some, but, to me, that’s how a dog might talk or think. I suppose I am biased because I am a dog lover who just recently lost her dog of 13 years. Reading this book for a second time helped me to remember that my dog is now playing with Trixie on the other side. It’s always a good reminder to slow down and just be, as Trixie implies. I say go for this book if you like dogs.
Nikki
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: serious
I've had this for awhile and just got around to reading it. So much wisdom in such a little book, truly. It made me cry in places, just thinking of the innocence of dogs and how much we can learn from them. I love having various books to reference for little quotes or phrases that help me through things and I will definitely revisit this book when I need to. I really needed that this week.
Dundee Library
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute book. Trixie's words of wisdom brought a smile to my face many times as I read this. It is an uplifting read that makes you think about life and making it better. There are 8 steps to bliss according to Trixie and they make sense. I think most people, especially dog lovers, would enjoy reading this book
Karen Cowgill
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JOYOUS! A must read!
Molly
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Trixie and Dean. What a beautiful book. My dad just passed two weeks ago. I hope Trixie said hello to him...
Cynthia
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I expected a fun, silly read of dog-dispensed wisdom. I got that, but so much more. Insightful and engaging, the message carried is deeper than expected.
Ann
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I've read "paths to happiness" books before, but never from the wise, nonjudgmental, sweet perspective of a dog. A book to savor and read often.
Alan Livingston
What a wonderful treat this book is! Less a novel than a short collection of brief, positive and inspiring thoughts, expect to measure this read in minutes, not hours or days. This might be a perfect gift for friends or stocking stuffers for anyone, or for the coffee table for visiting guests. I’ll be ordering a few copies soon, for just all those purposes. I can see this as particularly thoughtful for someone dealing with a recent or lingering loss. Mine aren’t so recent and I found the content ...more
Christyn
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, dogs, non-fiction
Bliss To You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life was not quite what I expected. I will admit the broken english and grammar was a bit distracting and took a little getting used to. But sometimes the simple, broken english got across the point better than any flowery words could.

"See sad, must do something. Why? Am dog. Want world as happy as dogs are happy."

According to Trixie the 8 Steps to bliss are:

1) Calm - Find Quiet Heart.
2) Beauty - See the world in all it's beauty
3) Fun
4)Meaning - Find
Homewood Public Library
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, pets
Trixie was a beautiful and fun loving Golden Retriever. She enriched the lives of Dean and his wife for many years. Now she is gone but has dictated this book to Dean's computer for him to share with us. Understand that the priorities that we have in life may be some different from those of Trixie but her purpose is to help us achieve bliss. Each chapter is Trixie giving short, pithy suggestions on finding another part of bliss. Two chapters are on dog wisdom. Throughout she wants us to do or ex ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I, Trixie, Who Is Dog
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Good Dog. Stay.
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
Nicknames:
Short Stuff, Trix, Furface, Fluffybutt

Quick Bio:
Purebred, Service Dog

Arrival Story:
I was a CCI assistance dog. After elbow surgery, was retired from service and came to live as a Koontz in Newport Beach. Wrote three books to raise money for other assistance dogs.

Bio:
Trixie was an angel on earth, shorn of her wings and given fur as a disguise, with mysterious eyes, with the heart of a lio
“Laughter is tranquilizer without side effects.” 8 likes
“If every day is first day of your life, maybe you are being perpetually infantile.” 6 likes