Start by marking “The Long Way Home (Davenport, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Long Way Home (Davenport, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Long Way Home (The Davenport Series #1)

He had a boat. She needed a ride. A simple lift turned into the adventure of a lifetime.
When Meg was stranded in the Bahamas, her life was dramatically changed through an encounter with an old friend that turned into adventure, danger, and discovery.
Meg Freeman and Jon Davenport began a surprising adventure, connected to a 17th century, shipwrecked Spanish galleon. Both
Published February 14th 2016 by GreenTree Publishers (first published January 11th 2014)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Long Way Home by Judah Knight
    The Long Way Home (Davenport, #1)
    Release date: Jan 20, 2016
    Enter to win one of five signed copies of "The Long Way Home." This first book of the Davenport Series offers romance, action, and adventure that's wr ...more

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 359 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 21 - Jan 31, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Long Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Way Home

Rosie
    Aug 09, 2016 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The day that the casualty notification officers came to Meg Freeman’s door had been one that had changed Meg Freeman’s life forever. They had brought news that her husband, Steve, had been fighting on a secret mission in Afghanistan and had been killed in action. Three years later, Meg decides to finally give herself closure while on an island getaway – a holiday which had been meant for her and Steve.

Jon Davenport had just bought himself a yacht. He wanted to be free of the heartbreaking memor
    Edwina Cowgill
    Aug 24, 2014 Edwina Cowgill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I have just finished reading The Long Way Home, the debut novel of author Judah Knight.

When you read the book it will be obvious why the author chose the title, The Long Way Home. The story is about the hero and heroine taking the "long way home." Had Mr. Knight desired a subtitle, "The Long Way Home: Adventures on the High Seas" would have captured the complete story. The hero and heroine, Jon and Meg,encountered a myriad of circumstances while on the seas. A 17th century shipwrecked Spanish g
    Victoria
    Feb 10, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Imagine this: a picturesque Bahamas, treasure, pirates, terrorists, a great adventure, and a beautiful stranger who has the potential to turn your life upside down. The Long Way Home by Judah Knight has all of those and more.

It’s usually difficult to balance adventure, romance, and suspense in a book because one of the three always seems to overpower the other two. But Knight managed to do it in The Long Way Home. Cleverly executed, the narrative moves swiftly from one plot point to another as
    Victoria Newman
    Sep 11, 2016 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    It is a great book to read
    Franky
    Mar 18, 2015 Franky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow, I have to say, this book is action-packed like crazy. It has romance, adventure, a hunt for sunken treasure and even a terrorist plot that has to be stopped. Meg Freeman opts to take the "long way home" when she finds herself stranded in the Bahamas. All her things, including her ticket home, are stolen and she doesn't know what to do until she runs into her old crush, Jon Davenport. Jon gives her a ride back to the states on his yacht, but a relaxing trip filled with scuba diving in the go ...more
    Kelly
    Apr 03, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow, this was an uneven book. The descriptions of diving, salvage were great! I feel like I got an understanding of the process.

The storyline was a lot over the top, something a teen would fantasize. Wealth, heroics, the president... I reached the point of guessing what fantasy would be next.

I don't often review books. This one I am reviewing because I am so mixed up on how I feel about it. It needed better editing. I am pretty sure the editor dozed, because they were dosed up on something. (Re
    Rachel
    Jun 10, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: firstreads, 2014
    I received this book from the goodreads first reads program.
    It pains me to rate this book so low because the teaser on the back made ot sound like a mist read. Unfortunately I ended up having to force myself to finish reading it. The speech was overly formal, especially for two people that have been friends since childhood. The formality of the speech slowed down the reading process significantly.
    The parts of the book that I found interesting were glazed over and seemed to be sidenote while th
    Linda
    Dec 21, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: first-reads
    I received this book for free on Goodreads Firstreads. Thank you for choosing me as one of the winners! The book cover is beautiful and I look forward to reading the book and giving an honest review!

After finishing the story, I have mixed feelings on this book. How do I explain that? The basic storyline was good, the search for treasure was the best part - so descriptive, I felt as if I was in the water right with them. But the characters didn't come alive, most of the dialogue was too simple, a
    Elaine
    Apr 07, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2016-chlenge
    Meg, a recent widow, meets a long lost friend who is in the Bahamas the same time she is. It seems that Jon too has lost his spouse and when he finds that Meg is stranded without luggage or money, he offers to take her home to Florida on his boat. Romance blooms but little did they realize that they were being followed by terrorists hoping to capture Jon's boat. Meg and J0n find themselves in great danger as they are involved in combating a terrorist plot.
    Not bad but a bit wordy at times especia
    Connie Roberts
    Aug 29, 2015 Connie Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Exciting story

I chose this rating for the simple reason that it was hard to put down. I loved all the descriptions of the ocean fish and the excitement of the next find of treasure. I loved the kindness of Jon and the love between him and Meg. I also loved the suspense of wondering if someone would try to hurt them while they were under water . I would definitely recommend this book and other books from this author.
    Deborah Wells
    Dec 21, 2014 Deborah Wells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I thought this was a fun book to read. I had a hard time putting it down. There was just the right touch of mystery and suspense. Having also done some diving, I enjoyed the underwater descriptions. The descriptions throughout the book were so vivid I could picture myself in each scene. Very enjoyable pleasure reading.
    Debbie
    Apr 11, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    ok

This was just ok. It wraps up part of the story but not all. You have to buy the next book to find out what happens. And I didn't like it well enough to read the next one. It is supposed to be a thriller but I thought it was kind of slow in lots of parts. I didn't feel a connection with the characters either.
    Judy Miller
    May 22, 2014 Judy Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is an awesome book to read in the summer. When you go to the beach, you can read this. It is all about a couple who fall in love and end up going to an island in the Caribbean and the exciting adventures that ensue. It is so refreshing to read a story involving the lifestyles of the "rich and famous" and not have to endure trashy language and situations. I can't wait for the sequel!
    Ed Fritz
    Apr 14, 2014 Ed Fritz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Good Romance Novel

This was a pleasant romance novel with a beautiful heroine and a wealth handsome hero. Thrown into the mix are a few villains who try to thwart the lovers. Good read.
    Carol
    Apr 14, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Overall, I liked the story, but it was a hard book to finish. There were just so many things that didn't make sense, events that were too far out & side stories that were too distracting. Lots of typos & grammar errors too. It just drug on & on & on.
    Joellen
    Jul 30, 2014 Joellen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Omg, this story is so over the top, full of cliches and stereotypes, it's laughable... If only it were meant to be a silly comedy. I skimmed to the end, just to get to the happily-ever-after.
    Geri Ann
    Geri Ann rated it really liked it
    Jan 18, 2017
    Fiona
    Apr 13, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: adventure
    Enjoyed this a lot. Good escapism!
    Connie Lawlor
    Connie Lawlor rated it it was amazing
    May 19, 2016
    Janet
    Aug 19, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    very good, hope to read more
    s
    s rated it liked it
    May 04, 2016
    stephanie courtney
    stephanie courtney rated it it was amazing
    Mar 26, 2016
    Paula Money
    Paula Money rated it did not like it
    Mar 29, 2016
    Joyce O
    Joyce O rated it liked it
    Dec 23, 2016
    Andrea Tudor
    Andrea Tudor rated it did not like it
    Jul 03, 2016
    Laurie S. Pedley
    Laurie S. Pedley rated it it was amazing
    May 14, 2014
    Jayne Jarvie Jarvie
    Jayne Jarvie Jarvie rated it liked it
    Apr 07, 2016
    Christi Guess
    Christi Guess rated it liked it
    Dec 05, 2016
    Stephanie
    Stephanie rated it it was amazing
    Mar 28, 2016
    Maria Stephenson
    Maria Stephenson rated it did not like it
    Mar 25, 2016
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    • Looks Great Naked
    • No Place Like Home
    • Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate
    • Criminal Decision
    • A Good Kind of Knowing
    • Bridge Ices Before Road
    • The Gift (Bandit Creek, #8)
    • Country Girls
    • Getting the Important Things Right
    • 100 Unfortunate Days
    • Cicada
    • Beatrice Munson
    • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #1)
    Story telling has been a part of my life for as far back as I can remember. I told countless bedtime stories to my six children through the years making them an important part of each adventure. My first written story came at the age of six when I wrote about the experience of the death of my dog. Now, as an adult, I can lose myself in an adventure and take thousands of people along for the ride. ...more
    More about Judah Knight...

The Davenport Series (3 books)
    • Hope for Tomorrow (The Davenport Series #2)
    • Finding My Way (Davenport Series)