Start by marking “Second Generation - The Things I Didn't Tell My Father” as Want to Read:
Second Generation - The Things I Didn't Tell My Father

Second Generation - The Things I Didn't Tell My Father

This is an autobiographical tale in which Michel Kichka goes back over the significant moments of a childhood, an adolescence, and a life overshadowed by the Holocaust, from Belgium to The Promised Land, from nightmares to funny anecdotes, moments of joy and liberation.
Published January 27th 2016 by Europe Comics (first published 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Second Generation - The Things I Didn't Tell My Father

abby
Michel Kichka is part of the so-called Second Generation, the children of the survivors of the Holocaust. Growing up, Michel was haunted by the ghosts of events that happened years before he was born. His father survived Auschwitz, but the rest of his family was murdered. The experience left him (understandably) with a bitter outlook on life and a sense of arrested development where reality ended for him in 1942. He couldn't handle television, newspapers, or any news of the modern world. He rela ...more
Nat
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Second Generation hit unexpectedly home at multiple parts for me, especially regarding Kichka's childhood growing up in Belgium. It's quite funny because I had just talked with my mother about how my school experience in Belgium went. And then I pick this gliberation.
Second
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second</i></i></span>
  <span id= Second Generation is a graphic novel written and illustrated by Michel Kichka. It tells about not only the story of his dad, Henri, but also how the author and his siblings grew up with a parent who was a Holocaust survivor. The recollections of what happened to Michel's dad in this book are less vivid and haunting compared to the other books I've read before that tackles the same topic.
Second Generation by Michel Kichka
However, I found the ending a little bit odd and abrupt. Nonetheless, it's an entertaining graphic novel that will like by readers.
Second Generation by Michel Kichka
Blackjessamine
Questa graphic novel è una delle cose più sincere e meno retoriche che io abbia mai letto sulla Shoah. Michel Kichka, figlio di un ebreo sopravvissuto a Buchenwald, si racconta con una semplicità disarmante. È un fumetto che è anche memoir, e risulta particolarmente efficace e toccante proprio perché non ha alcuna pretesa di commuovere, stupire o colpire tasti deboli.
La terribile storia di suo padre emerge lentamente, dapprima attraverso i ricordi di un Michel bambino ossessionato dalla st
Charlotte Jones
The graphic memoir is something that I feel has become more and more popular in recent years, particularly Maus by Art Speigelman (which I haven't yet read). This falls into that same category though I feel that Michel Kichka's humour and brilliant illustrations made this book feel all the more real.

I feel that Kichka portrayed his father, a concentration camp survivor, in a very honest way; he didn't fall into the trap that I think other authors sometimes do of making all survivors
Milly Cohen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retazos inteligentes y humorísticos de recuerdos de su padre, de la shoa y de sus sensaciones como "segunda generación". Triste en momentos, simpático en otros, sólo carece a veces de un hilo conductor. Valiente ejercicio del autor!
There is a saying that the suffering of those who survived the holocaust, is passed down to the second generation. In this autobiographical memoire of his life, Michel goes over his childhood, as well as his dad's experience in Auschwitz.

This is not Maus, but it is like it in that the son is trying to understand his father. And learn his art from his father, as his father was a cartoonist before he was sent to the camps, and didn't pick up art until he retired years later.

But this is not so much a story of the camps, but h
Netta
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
המאייר מישל קישקה כתב ואייר בדם לבו ספר קומיקס על אביו, שורד מחנה אושוויץ.
הסיפור הוא סיפורה של כל משפחת קישקה: אביו הלום השואה, אמו הקרה והמנוכרת, אחיו המיוסרים ומישל עצמו, שגדל כל חייו בצל השואה, כאילו הוא עצמו היה ניצול המחנות. האיורים יפהפיים, לעיתים מחרידים. כמה מהם גאוניים ממש.
הטקסט קשה לעיכול, מכווץ את הלב, שורט את הנשמה.ככל שהספר מתקדם אל סופו, הוא הופך אפל יותר, אך עם זאת, לא לגמרי נטול תקווה.
מומלץ.
Wayne McCoy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Second Generation - Things I Didn't Tell My Father' by Michel Kichka is an autobiographical graphic novel. The subject is fairly heavy with some lighter moments. I'm hoping it was quite cathartic for the author.

Michel's father survived the holocaust, but it looms over his life and the life of his family. They live in Belgium at the beginning of the novel. The kids just want to be kids, but they are constantly reminded of the horrors of their father's generation. Years later, Michel
Kevin Hogan
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story of the author's living in the shadow of his father's Holocaust experience. As a boy, Dad was always right -- always important not to argue with him because he'd live through too much. As a man, Dad still managed to bring things around to himself and his time in the Shoah (Dad wrote a book, and gave witness at Auschwitz).

I read this book as an advanced reading copy via NetGalley.
Alex
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: european-comics
It was good. Kichka drew his inspiration from Spiegelman's Maus, and "Second Generation" is a lighter version of it, both in script and design.

A fine read, one of the many filled with direct and/or indirect testimonies from one of the blackest pages of modern history.
Smassing Culture
Κριτική στο Smassing Culture

Μια βαθιά προσωπική ιστορία του Ολοκαυτώματος

Ο Β’ Παγκόσμιος Πόλεμος είναι ένα απ’ τα συγκλονιστικότερα γεγονότα της ανθρώπινης ιστορίας. Το Ολοκαύτωμα συγκεκριμένα είναι ένα μοναδικό ιστορικό γεγονός. Ο βιομηχανικός θάνατος των Εβραίων (αλλά και των κομμουνιστών, των αντιφρονούντων, των ομοφυλόφιλων, των τσιγγάνων και άλλων εχθρικών για το ναζιστικό καθεστώς κοινωνικών ομάδων) δεν μπορεί να συγκριθεί με καμία άλλη απ’ τις μαζικές σφαγές της μέχρι τώρα ιστορίας. Τότε γεννήθη/>Μια
Markus Pfeffer
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Was für ein Meisterwerk! Michhel Kichka erzählt die Geschichte seiner Familie, die die KZs überlebt haben, auf eine so wunderbare Weise wie es lange keiner mehr getan hat. Es ist ein tragikomischer Comic: Das Schreckliche, das geschehen ist, lastet zwar auf den Protagonisten (vor allem dem Vater, von dem Michel das Zeichnen gelernt hat), doch gibt es auch schöne Momente. Reale Erinnerungen erscheinen oft in düsteren, abstrakten Zeichnungen die an das große Vorbild Maus erinnern, doch wechseln si ...more
Amy Nicole
3.5 stars...
Michel Kichka's father was an Auschwitz survivor who lost his entire family, making Michel part of the second generation to process the trauma of the Shoah (Holocaust). This memoir graphic novel details his childhood growing up with a father who was constantly fixated on proving himself and his worth because having a son who was best in his class would "show Hitler". It also references Michel's adulthood as he tries to relate and understand the man his dad has become in response to
beri
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok beğendim kitabı. Holokost'a dair başka bir hikaye anlatmış Michel Kichka. Türkiye'de de ikinci kuşak adına anlatılacak ne çok hikaye var diye düşündüm...
Abi Robins
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, war-period
Firstly, I'd like to say thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eCopy of this graphic novel in return for an unbiased review. This graphic novel based around the Jewish persecution in WWII is a little different from other novels on the subject, not only is the art within drawn in a more humorous manner than usual, but the perspective is from that of the victim's son. Second Generation tells the story of how Jews who suffered at the hands of the Nazis had an impact on their family around ...more
Audrey Adamson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the graphic novel for the most part. Michael Kichka describes his life growing up with parents who lived through the Holocaust. He focuses his story on how their father's issues impacted their life, how the family lived under the shadow of the Holocaust. Kichka describes the loves for his father as well as his frustrations for the way his life is because of the circumstances of the times.
I enjoy the art. It has a more classic look with clean lines and I was intrigued as to how th
Theediscerning
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life as a young Jewish man (albeit an atheist one), where you're forced to live life in the shadow of a father who was in turn forced to live life in the shadow of the Holocaust, as the only survivor from an extended family. Here, very Eisneresque layouts and other tics push this book into the pages of graphic novel history, while the actual content is relating to stories told far too regularly, and far too often - or of course, for some people, never. While some survivors could never stop sayin ...more
Dolceluna
La Shoah raccontata da un testimone di seconda generazione, figlio cioè di un sopravvissuto al dramma, in una graphic novel dal tratto cartoonesco. L’immancabile senso di non detto, il desiderio di scoprire e al contempo la paura di sapere, la sofferenza, l’imbarazzo, la lacerazione interiore. Un tema da me da sempre ricercato, non facile da esplorare, soprattutto in un genere come quello della graphic novel. Ma Michel Kichka (che poi scopro essere docente di una delle più prestigiose scuole di ...more
Jim
Interesting perspective of someone growing up as the son of a Holocaust survivor. So many heart-wrenching stories of this father. Both during the war, and the impact after the war. After the Holocaust. Evil survives in so many ways, even after it seems to be gone. Google “second generation syndrome”. The cartoon-y style might make such a difficult subject a bit easier to read; but it communicates the the pain and difficulty of living such a life. Well worth the time it takes to read it.

Thanks t
Ori Nagel
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly highly recommend. This is the best holocaust book I've ever read. No exaggeration or pomp, or someone out to make a point. It's a raw honest and true depiction of the pain and agony the holocaust caused through generations, told through the story of the son of a holocaust survivor.

This book hit home for me in so many ways. The father - son dynamic, the Jewish household and expectations, the quest for meaning from the son of a survivor. I don't think the subject has ever been so eloquentl
Elia
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hate to read anything about the Holocaust because it just really hurts my soul and makes me feel so sick, but this graphic novel offers a very unique point of view: it is the story of a man's holocaust journey as seen through the eyes of his son, a "second generation" holocaust survivor. That means the son was affected by The Shoa but in a roundabout way - the story deals with having to cope with a parent that has been traumatized beyond belief, and how that trauma was manifested in his childr ...more
Beth Younge
I enjoyed how Kichka explored his father's history in relation to the concentration camps. The progression of his history and his father's was intertwined and at times this did lead to messiness within the layout but the artwork did try to make it clearer. I had some familiarity with the history of the concentration camps but it was more personal and more interesting as Kichka made it about his father's experience there. I don't know if i would use this to introduce younger audiences to the holo ...more
Ruth Frampton
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A graphic memoir of the effects of the holocaust on the psyche of the survivors and the following generation, this thoughtfully presented work brings to the surface the discussion that should never be forgotten about what man can do and should not ever be allowed to do again. With current world politics, a message that needs more airtime and discussion in families the world around. I brilliant reminder that Evil still survives in this world, and we should remain ready for it.
Mariposa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, bd
Que dire de plus que ces quelques mots de l'éditeur ? Tout y est. Une histoire personnelle touchante, sensible sans mièvrerie ou volonté de faire pleurer dans les chaumières. Une recherche personnelle aussi de sens à donner, de réponses à trouver face à une histoire familiale qui est parfois plus devinée que racontée.
Rebecca Shelton
I am endlessly fascinated with graphic novel memoirs and I especially love the ones where children talk about their parents. This one was definitely worth the read as I'm always interested in how the parents' history effects the children.
Annetius
Με άγγιξε πολύ η αφήγηση του Κισκά, ως γιος επιζήσαντα του Ολοκαυτώματος. Έχω την αίσθηση ότι το βιβλίο αποτέλεσε τη διαδικασία αυτο-ψυχοθεραπείας του. Πρέπει να ξαλάφρωσε γράφοντας και σχεδιάζοντάς το, να ήταν σαν ένα είδος κάθαρσης γι'αυτόν. Συγκινητικό, ανθρώπινο, αληθινό βιβλίο.
Elena
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Petra
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity to meet Michel Kichka in Yad Vashem. His talk was deeply moving and so is his book.
Ian Paul
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hebrew
A great graphic novel about grappling with the Holocaust and its impact on the children of survivors.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »