Start by marking “Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos” as Want to Read:
Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos

Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos

The fascinating Mexican artist Frida Kahlo is remembered for her dramatic self-portrait paintings featuring bold and vibrant colors. Her artwork brought attention to Mexican and indigenous culture with images renowned in celebrating the female form.

Brown's story recounts Frida's beloved pets—two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat, and a fawn—
Published September 5th 2017 by NorthSouth Books

Start your review of Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos
Caro (Bookaria)
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a children's book about the life of Frida Kahlo.

The book tells the story of Frida, a Mexican artist well known for her self-portraits as well as her marriage to Mexican painter Diego Rivera. It also makes emphasis on the large number of pets she had and loved.

The book contains beautiful illustrations and at the end of it there's a short biography of her life targeted to a more adult audience.

The main story is kept very light but discussing all the pain and difficulties she faced througho
[Shai] Bibliophage
The Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos is a wonderful children's story book that not only young readers will got to enjoy, but adults also will appreciate this.

I'm not quite familiar with Frida's biography, although I knew some of her famous paintings such as the The Two Fridas, The Wounded Deer, and The Broken Column. If ever this would be available in local bookstores here in my country, I'll definitely purchase copies of this charming book to give to my niece and godchildren.

Dave Schaafsma
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A picture book biography of artist Kahlo with a focus on the menagerie of animals she owned and less on her as artist. Or, it's an angle that helps humanize her as artist. That's one strength of this volume but the other clearly is the great illustration of John Parra, which helps to create the time and the colorful house she and Diego Rivera lived in.

What pets, you ask? Sorry: Two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat, and a fawn! Diego built a pyramid for them to pl
Jessi ❤️ H. Vojsk [if villain, why hot?]
This was a really awesome way to show kids how Frida Khalos life was.
It’s so cute and the drawings are so gorgeous!
Definitely recommend this.
Nostalgia Reader
3.5 stars.

A pretty semi-biography of Frida Kahlo, specifically focusing on her pets and other animal friends and how they inspired much of her work. The paintings throughout are very lovely, and I loved the use of bold colors that conveys some of Kahlo’s color choices.

The actual biography of Kahlo herself was a bit weak, as there were many specific facts left out in the story; however, there is a brief page at the end of the book that does provide some more facts about her life, but still not in
Karen Witzler
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-bio
Good classroom book - Frida Kahlo's bio for kids, told by recounting the names and types of pets that she kept through the years. ...more
debbicat *made of stardust*
AWE..I just loved this and all of her little pets. Short little read about young Frida Kahlo and her love for animals. I enjoyed the illustrations of her pets, using bold and bright colors like she used in her own artwork. We see two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat (my favorite of course), and a fawn. (second favorite)-Turkeys are believed to have been sacred in ancient Mexican cultures. They are were viewed as "jewelled birds".

A quote from the book, "They (tur
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
This is a gorgeously illustrated, inspiring children's book on the life of Frida Kahlo. I am familiar with her art work and knew she loved animals, but I did not know about her illnesses and how much her animals inspired her. When Frida had an illness, she took that time to be creative and create art, even as a child. This book is an excellent way to expose children to a creative and famous artist. Fabulous book!

Thank you to Monica Brown, the publisher, and Netgalley, for the opportunity to rea
destiny ♡ howling libraries
Frida was an amazing woman and I loved this little book! The artwork was beautiful and vibrant enough to keep any child’s attention. I loved how her personality was described through comparisons to her pets. It was also nice that there was a more mature synopsis of her life at the end of the book.

Thank you to NetGalley and NorthSouth Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for this honest review!
Annie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a short biographical insight into the life and works of Frida Kahlo. I love Kahlo's work and when I saw this book on Netgalley, I had no alternative but to read it.

Kahlo (1907-1954) was a Mexican artist, famous for her paintings using bold vibrant colours. Kahlo in her teens had a very serious accident that left her with multiple fractures of the spine, collarbone and ribs, a shattered pelvis, broken foot and a dislocated shoulder. This accident resulted in her having to undergo app
Donna Maguire
This is a lovely book, I loved the historical nature and how it told the story of this remarkable lady. The images were great and they really helped tell the story - definitely one I'd recommend - 5 stars! ...more
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, childrens
I particularly like the idea of a book purely centred on well-known influential artist Frida Kahlo, and her beloved pets. It follows her rise from a creative youngster with a wonderful imagination to the influential artist that she became. The perspective of this book really suits young readers, as rather than focusing on her life story on the whole, the inclusion of her animals and how they fit into her life is perhaps more interesting to young ones. The illustrations are lovely, and very much ...more
If I just wanted to introduce children to the idea of Frida Kahlo, this might be a good way to do this. I would never have though of focusing on her animals, but whatever works.

However, there are no examples of her actual paintings anywhere in the book, although there is a brief, more detailed bio at the end of the book.

Without the images of the paintings, it makes me wonder if a child, reading this book, would understand how important this artist was, or what she went through in her life, or an
Gina
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By coincidence I had just learned a little about Kahlo's animals and her incorporation of them into her art, so it was very interesting to read this and learn more about the relationships and what they meant to her.

An obvious benefit of the book is that it is a good introduction to the artwork of Kahlo. Beyond that, there is also inspiration about using your imagination while dealing with illness, working hard and bravely to recover from illness, and courage and creativity in general. Also good
Stay Fetters
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Frida embraced being different and never let anyone get her down. Her animals were always by her side even through the toughest of times. She is an inspiration to women/girls everywhere.

This was a cute and unique way to teach kids about Frida. Even adults will fall in love with this beautiful book. The story is just as breathtaking as the illustrations.
Jeimy
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author presents a glimpse into the life of Mexico's most well-known female painter. The narrative is framed by the animals Kahlo had as pets and their influence--and presence--in her artwork. ...more
Julian
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of Frida Kahlo. I have nothing against her, but I get annoyed at the fascination first-world women have with her. I guess I should live and let live, but I'm judgemental like that. I cannot help it.

Having said that, I came across this book on NetGalley and found it beautiful. It is a biography of Frida with a strong emphasis on her relationship with her animals. There are monkeys, parrots, dogs and others. They're useful vehicles, skillfully used to guide you through Frida's life.

T
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017picturebooks
I received an ebook copy of this via Netgalley.

This is a beautifully illustrated book, which feels fitting for a children's picture book about an artist.

I was hoping this would be a good storytime book, but it is a bit too wordy to be used for the really young kids who attend our storytime. It would probably work well as a read aloud for Hispanic Heritage month for school age children.

It is very pretty and careful to be a bit spare with some of the harder details of Frida's life. There is a bi
Lynn
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book sent me into research mode: Xolo dogs, Kahlo's marriage to Diego, her physical ailments, and her upbringing.
Describing the characteristics of her pets and her personal qualities brings the biography to younger readers.

I found several of her numerous paintings on Wikipedia and http://www.fridakahlo.org/, but only "Self-Portrait with Monkey" is one I'd show to young students. Although not mentioned in the main text, the US Postage stamp of her would also be appropriate.
This presentation
Araceli Romo
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like how the author is telling a very condensed biography of Frida Kahlo through the pets she had throughout her life; it shows a great deal of originality which is in a way very artistic. The story is engaging and the pictures are colorful and that makes this book’s presentation very appealing to elementary teachers that are interested on bringing art into the classroom. I can see how this book could really inspire kids to try out their hand at drawing and painting because it focuses on Frida ...more
Krystal
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This captivating real-life children's story chronicles Frida Kahlo's momentous journey with vibrant images to highlight her imaginative work that we continue to cherish for future generations! ...more
Rogene Carter
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous look at one of the most fascinating artists in history and her sacred bond with her animal companions.
KC
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding and interesting biography of artist Frida Kahlo and her love for animals.
Bethe
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Winter break bookaday #10. My students love Frida, the animal focus will add to this book’s appeal.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderfully illustrated and captivating story of Frida and her animals, a really great story to read about her.
Ben Truong
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos is a children's picture book written by Monica Brown and illustrated by John Parra. It recounts Frida's beloved and unusual pets two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat, and a fawn.

June, at least in my part of the world is LGBT Pride Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore, I thought that this book would be apropos for today.

Frida Kahlo de R
Hannah
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Let it be known that I love animals, especially dogs. I knew of Frida Kahlo's love of dogs, but not necessarily of all the animals she owned during her lifetime. Brown's unique storytelling technique of portraying Kahlo's life and personality, as well as her art, through her animals was something that brought a unique perspective to this picture book. The way this picture book showed animals helping her through her pain and her illnesses was also a message I thought positive, and important for c ...more
Leah Allan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat, a fawn, and a very special girl. Follow the story of Frida Kahlo, as she was inspired by her many pets and the world around her. With each pet comes a trait that, without which, she would not be the celebrated Frida Kahlo that we know today. In this book, we watch Frida grow from a little girl with watchful eyes (like her fawn), to an independent young girl (like her cat), to a mischievous teenager (like her spider monkeys), ...more
Brian Duffy
Before reading this book I knew very little of Frida Kahlo. Given that this is a picture book about her pets I still have a lot to learn. While reading I definitely found a text-to-self connection in her love of animals. My father has a Masters in Biology and animals are his passion. So growing up and even to this day we have dogs and countless terrariums in the basement full of exotic critters. My father taught me not to fear animals but to understand they had fears of their own and acted accor ...more
Lisa
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A biography of Frida Kahlo focusing on her love of animals, particularly her pets - a deer, dogs, a cat, 2 monkeys, a parrot, even turkeys. They inspired some of her art and were her friends.

There seems to be a new picture book about Frida Kahlo every year or so. It’s hard to tell her story in a way children would enjoy and this is a good hook. The author was vague about Frida’s illnesses and her accident (which is good). I also like the inclusion of a photograph at the end of Frida and one of

• Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Dreamers
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Your Name Is a Song
Art
See top shelves…
Monica Brown, Ph.D. is the author of awardwinning bilingual books for children, including My Name Is Celia: The Life of Celia Cruz/Me llamo Celia: La vida de Celia Cruz (Luna Rising), a recipient of the Américas Award for Children's Literature and a Pura Belpré Honor. Her second picture book, My Name Is Gabriela: The Life of Gabriela Mistral/Me llamo Gabriela: La vida de Gabriela Mistral (Luna Ris ...more

News & Interviews

If summer book releases are any indication, and they are, then we’ve been in a rather dark mood of late, collectively. But, you know, dark in a...