Start by marking “No Time for Goodbye” as Want to Read:
No Time for Goodbye

No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  23,381 Ratings  ·  2,087 Reviews
The house was deathly quiet. That was the first sign that something was terribly wrong. Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke that morning to find herself alone. Her family—mother, father, and brother—had vanished without a word, without a note, without a trace. Twenty-five years later, Cynthia is still looking for answers. Now she is about to learn the devastating truth

Cyn
Audio CD
Published September 25th 2007 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about No Time for Goodbye, please sign up.
Svetlana Ceca Misic
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Janice
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book five stars simply for entertainment value. It was almost like watching a film, the characters came to life and the whole book was great fun to read - who cares if the plot was a little implausable.
It's not the sort of book you'll want to keep and read again but enjoy it as a fast food treat. If you read it over a weekend as I did, beware, you might not get much else done.

Mandy
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap on a cracker! This book was fantastic. Definitely a 5 star novel. I love Linwood Barclay because his writing is so similar to Harlan Coben's and I am a huge fan of Coben and am becoming an even bigger fan of Barclay.

This book gave me goosebumps more than once and in my book (no pun intended) that makes it a 4 or 5 star. Cynthia Bigge, a fourteen year old girl is drug home one night by her father after he catches her drinking and making out with a much older boy. When she gets home she
Carmen
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller Fans
"Well, I'll tell you something," he said, "but not if you're going to tell the cops because if you do, I'll tell them I never said any of this, because they might find a way to use it against me, the fuckers."

This book was just okay. It's a thriller. Cynthia's 14 when her mom, dad, and older brother disappear one night. Their cars are missing. Their beds aren't slept in. There's no trace of them.

Were they murdered? Kidnapped? Did they leave and abandon their daughter? It's three decades later an
Suzanne
My first Lynwood Barclay novel, which I picked up on a whim at the library, as I had been hearing things about this author from my Aussie Reader friends. I was constantly checking and unchecking boxes, second guessing my ideas as to ‘who dunnit’. My assumptions were partly correct, and I enjoyed trying to work it out.

Cynthia finds herself abandoned by her family one day, she’s woken up one day and they’ve simply vanished. The story continues on the 25th anniversary of Cynthia’s disappearance, w
Rebecca
if you can stand the "F" word every other page, sometimes many times in one page...then read this book. Its a lot of fun and really interesting. If I cared enough tho, I'd write the author and tell him how a)unnecessary and b)annoying it was to have to see that word over and over again. I know to some people its not an issue at all but to me..blech. The book was so good on its own, it didn't need it AT ALL.
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because the description reminded me of Harlan Coben's books, but was disappointed. The first half of the book, in which Barclay set up his story, is more description than action. I found it pretty boring. No great writing here either. So many readers have commented on the mounting suspense in this book. I found none of that. I felt none of the shock or sense of dread that I usually get when I read a mystery/thriller. Two thirds into the book, I didn't care what actually happ ...more
Lisa
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Linwood Barclay has written another thriller that will keep you turning the pages the characters are strong & the plot well penned.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO if YOU WOKE UP ONE MORNING TO FIND YOUR PATRENTS & BROTHER JUST DISAPPEARED WITHOUT A TRACE!!

When Cynthia Bigge wakes up on a Saturday morning to find her Mother Patricia & father Clayton & brother Todd gone she panics after a wild night with boyfriend Vince Fleming she wonders what the hell is going on?

Years later now married to Ter
Bree
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was written from the point of view of the woman's husband, and he takes you through the past, what little they know...starting with the 25th anniversary of her family's disappearance. About 1/3rd of the way through, you start to get pieces of the puzzle, but they throw in a lot of speculation about who could have done it. Parts of it kept me guessing right until the very end. LOVED this book!
Beverly
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
14 year-old girl wakes up to find her entire family gone, it had me at "hello".
Jessi
So fourteen year old Cynthia has a huge fight with her dad and goes to bed, the next morning she wakes up to find her father, mother and brother have vanished, no note, no nothing. The cars are gone and so are they.

Move forward years and Cynthia is married with an 8 year old and still has no idea what happened to her family. All of a sudden things start happening and
Photobucket

Told from the perspective of Cynthia's husband so you never know if Cynthia is involved, if she's nuts. It was a really great mys
Michele Shimp
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Looking for a thriller that you don't want to put down? Then you need to read No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. [return][return]This book is definitely a page turner! Cynthia's paranoia - is it in her head? Something she's doing - maybe a split personality? What happened to her family? Are they really dead? I cannot imagine for even a second that my family would just disappear. It's not even in my ability to imagine. Knowing that, I can imagine how if that were to happen, how messed up I w ...more
Carol
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed this book on a whim as I was dashing out the door to the airport. It ended up being an entertaining read for the plane ride to Panama. After a night of teen drinking, Cynthia Archer wakes to find her family missing. This plot has been explored in many ways by different authors. Barclay's take on what happened to the family is not extraoridnary but neither is it boring. I was able to figure out who did what before the end of the book but that was not a bad thing. What made the read for me ...more
Terri Lynn
I only recently discovered this author's books when I read THE ACCIDENT. since I loved that, I then read TOO CLOSE TO HOME and loved it too. I then started reading this clunker and was surprised to find that Barclay had written such a dud.

The book begins with look back 25 years into the past when then 14 year old wild child Cynthia wakes up the morning after she had been found making out and drinking in a car with an older boy by her dad Clayton. Once home, she runs upstairs yelling back to dad
Judy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Barclay book. This one is slow-moving and detail oriented. I stayed with it even though I didn't like it as much as A Tap on the Window It is difficult to write much without giving a spoiler. However, there is one character that I thought was unbelievable--didn't seem real. I began to figure out the solution, but didn't get it all; so it was good until the very end.
Paul
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. It started off well intended with novel ideas. But when you have absolutely no substance to the characters who gives a f*ck? And then to lose all integrity to the mystery by copping out to the most predictable of outcomes, really?! It's like eating a spoiled peanut. You wanted and expected it to be good but once you bit into it SOUR!
Maggie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very unexpected, at times very humorous, this book offered something essential: the need to keep reading until I knew what had happened. The characters, especially the daughter, were very well-defined and I cared about what happened to them
Michael
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
After having a fight with her parents, fourteen year old Cynthia Bigge wakes up to find her entire family has mysterious vanished without a trace. Twenty-five years later, the mystery of just what happened to them remains unsolved, leading Cynthia to agree to a segment on a popular reality show in the hopes of finding a few answers about the past that haunts her.

Following the show's airing, a series of mysterious events begins to occur including a mysterious car following her daughter, a fedora
Beth
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because this book had rave reviews, I feel justified in launching into a few criticisms.
1.The first person narrator is a high school English teacher yet he insists on colloquialisms (or just plain bad grammar) such as, "Me and Grace went to the store." (Not an actual quote but close.)
2. The tone slips. When Vince comes on stage, we move from Stephen King creepiness to slapstick comedy.
3. Clearly the book was written for the movie version which means there's a lot of fast action with little att
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
No Time For Goodbye is one of those books that grab your attention from the very first page. Not having read any of the author’s books I had no idea what to expect from the story but it was definitely a pleasant surprise and I’m really glad I picked this up. I had a few minor issues with it – which I’m going to get to in a minute – and it wasn’t as fast paced as I anticipated but all in all, it was a gripping novel full of twists and turns and with a touching ending.

Before I go even further, I h
Joe
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
No Time For Goodbye opens with teenaged and hung-over Cynthia Bigge waking up to an empty home. Her family - father, mother and brother - having disappeared without so much as a note. Fast forward 25 years, Cynthia is now married with a daughter of her own and the story takes off from there. Well, actually it creeps along from there - never a good thing for a "thriller" - one of the major problems with this book.

No Time For Goodbye is reminiscent of books by Chris Mooney and Harlan Coben, i.e. t
Teresa Proença
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-eua, e3
Tinha grandes expectativas em relação a este livro e…
As Personagens
A adolescente rebelde que uma manhã acorda e descobre que pai, mãe e irmão tinham desaparecido. A adulta irritante que, anos depois, os procura;
O marido - a personagem simpática da história - que tudo arrisca na tentativa de encontrar a verdade;
Mais uns familiares, amigos e conhecidos para enfeitar e justificar o desenvolvimento do assunto.
O Enredo
Um crime, um rapto? O costume;
O culpado? Isso é que não me convenceu lá muito
Bill
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Well, this was very entertaining.

For some reason I had never heard of Linwood Barclay, until some of my Goodreads friends started raving about his latest.
So I grabbed this one, his earliest, and he certainly lived up to the hype. This is a classic page-turner. There is no time to smell the roses along the way: the plot plows through, but not with as much expense to character development as you would find with many thrillers. Even though the development comes mainly through dialogue, it is suffic
Stephen
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In 1993 Thomas H. Cook published a book called Mortal Memory, in which a young man comes home from school to find his mother and sister murdered, and his father gone. He assumed his father had waited for him to come home to kill him, too. Mortal Memory was a very good book.

No Time for Goodbye was published in 2007, and the premise is a fourteen year old girl goes to bed drunk, wakes up to find her entire family missing. Nothing is out of place, they are simply gone.

In spite of lack of blood or
Joey
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
An ever thickening plot, the mystery deepens with every turn of the page. Don't read this book at night if you have to get up early the next morning. Nearly impossible to set down. Even after you set it down and turn out the lights to go to sleep, your mind is a whirlwind of Sherlockian thoughts keeping you awake. Great read. Highly recommended.
Wendy T
WOW! what a story. This book kept me guessing right up to the end. I was so shocked when the truth finally came out. Awesome suspense.
Jean
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six stars! If you read No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay before you go to bed, your mind will keep you awake trying to solve this intriguing mystery. Even though I was able to piece together some of the bits of this puzzle about why the family of a 14-year-old girl, Cynthia Bigge, vanished in the middle of the night without a trace, the whole picture did not come together for me until the very end.

Most of the book focuses on that girl 25 years later, married to Terry Archer. They have an 8-
Tony
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
NO TIME FOR GOODBYE. (2007). Linwood Barclay. ***.
I discovered Barclay through his most recent book, and a friend of mine from Goodreads recommended that I go back and read this earlier one. Although a capable thriller/suspense novel, I found it less qualified than the later book. The author was still learning his craft, particularly his ability to formulate a believable plot peopled by believable characters. His current novel, “Trust Your Eyes,” is head and shoulders above this one. The plot is
Poppy fairy
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am in a long line of readers that really enjoy Linwood Barclay's novels. He is one of the crime authors that readers like to read and review a lot of his books.

I was eagerly turning pages after pages of this fast-paced novel wanting to know more.

The story plunges into a scene where teenager Cynthia has been drinking in her boyfriends car and she is pulled out of her boyfriends car by her angry father.

Once Cynthia and her father arrive home it is one the crazy moments Cynthia shouts I wish you
Sarah Edwina Rose
Sep 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book by friend who told me she couldn't put it down.

I agree that this book does have some page turning quality, but any hint of excitement at the mystery unfolding was completely overshadowed by the terribly poorly executed and unbelievable narrative.

The story is told by the husband, and he is quite possibly the most uninteresting character I have come across for quite some time. Dry, drab and monotone in his dialogue where any hint of feeling is executed in a cliche and c
Franco  Santos
Te levantas.
La casa está vacía.
Tu familia ha desaparecido.

Le tenía muchas expectativas a este libro, lamentablemente tengo que decir que me terminó decepcionando.

Empieza muy bien. Es todo como lo pintan en la sinopsis: mucho misterio, nada cuadra, sin embargo, a medida que avanzaba me iba llevando decepción tras decepción.

El final es bastante malo, para mi gusto. Después de tantas incógnitas que Barclay te dé esa resolución...

No obstante, es un buen thriller, sumamente entretenido y ameno.
Goodreads Librari...: add cover 2 112 Nov 13, 2015 12:06PM
Did it explain .... 13 248 Aug 15, 2014 05:26AM
  • Severed
  • Just One Look
  • They're Watching
  • Forty Words for Sorrow (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #1)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Amokspiel
  • Six Metres of Pavement
  • Lost Girls
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • A Quiet Belief in Angels
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children – Chas
More about Linwood Barclay

No Time For Goodbye (2 books)
  • No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Dear Anyone: This is a letter from one anyone to another anyone, no names required, because nobody really knows anyway. Names don't make a hell of a lot of difference. The world is made up entirely of strangers. Millions and millions of them. Everyone is a stranger to everyone else. Sometimes we think we know other people, especially those we supposedly are close to, but if we really knew them, why are we so often surprised by the shit they do? Like, parents are always surprised by what their kids will do. They raise them from the time they are babies, spend each and every day with them, think they're these goddamn fucking angels, and then one day the cops come to the door and say hey, guess what parents? Your kid just bashed some other kid's head in with a baseball bat. Or you're the kid, and you think things are pretty fucking OK, and then one day this guy who's supposed to be your dad says so long, have a nice life. And you think, what the fuck is this? So years later, your mom ends up living with another guy, and he seems OK, but you think, when's it coming? That's what life is. Life is always asking yourself, when's it coming? Because if it hasn't come for a long time, you know you're fucking due. All the best, Anyone.” 59 likes
“read” 1 likes