Start by marking “Freeze/Thaw” as Want to Read:
Freeze/Thaw

Freeze/Thaw

The Shade, a set of micro-satellites designed to stop global warming, worked.

A little too well.

The Earth is icing over and no one knows how to shut the Shade off. Every attempt in the last thirty years has failed and humanity is nearly out of options to regain a world that isn’t covered in snow. Gabe Alfil may be the only person alive with enough expertise in quantum com
Published May 17th 2016 by Apex Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Freeze/Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeze/Thaw

Start your review of Freeze/Thaw
Frank Errington
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Every now and again I like to divert from my heavy diet of horror. Too much of a good thing and all that. When I read the description for the new novel from Chris Bucholz, I decided it might be a good time to read something outside my favorite genre.

Well, I'm glad I took this little side trip. I enjoyed Freeze/Thaw more than I did Chris' first novel, Severance, the story of a deadly conspiracy about a multi-generational spaceship.

Freeze/Thaw is the tale of a desperate attempt to turn
David Hakamaki
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Freeze/Thaw was an interesting book that looked at the world that was overcome by a global ice age. The story follows Gabe Alfil, a paraplegic who is the only hope to turn off the Shade. Environmentalists have lofted a grid of reflectors into space that have turned the world into a cold, brutal environment. Nothing the government has done in the past 30 years has worked and existence has crumbled in the northern climates to small pods of civilization eeking out a lifestyle of scavenging and surv ...more
Bob
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a book that hooked me with a great concept, placing the Earth in peril because of a well-meaning attempt to stop global warning - that has backfired on an apocalyptic scale. It had a great hero, a quadriplegic hiker who is turned computer genius during his recovery. While exasperation with Gabe's superhuman perfection detracted somewhat from the ending (he just became too much), it was still an exciting adventure with some great ideas.
Idamus
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is boring, and the MC is annoying and boring.
Ryan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a fairly enjoyable read, but I thought the background (ecoterrorists attempt to slow global warming, but accidentally create a new ice age in doing so) was more interesting than the actual main plot of Gabe scavenging through the frozen wasteland of North America. Not a poorly told story, but not the story I was expecting (or wanting) to read.
Ansate
Mar 22, 2020 added it
Shelves: er
I made it about 1/3 of the way through before giving up. The world is very interesting, and I'd love to see a perspective on it that is not a mediocre white guy.[return][return]Our protagonist is an entitled mediocre white guy. The exact part where I give up is where he is literally talking himself into doing something he knows is stupid. This is annoying habit even if you're not in a post-apocalyptic world with casual killing. It is jarringly idiotic in that world.
Wade
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this story a lot. After reading Bucholz' other novel (Severance) and not liking it at all, I was a little wary of this one. However, the story grabbed me right away. I loved the premise of living on a frozen earth after a "solar shade" installed to reduce global warming couldn't be turned off. The action moved me along through the story, and the character development was well-done. Each of the characters were layered and seemed to grow/change with the circumstances - some for the better, ...more
Claire Luana
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fast-paced read in a not-too-far-off dystopian setting where the half the world has frozen over as a result of eco-terrorists setting up a sun-shield in space called The Shade. Gabe, our narrator, is a paraplegic who the government gifts with an advanced suit that will enable him to walk and journey up into the frozen United States to try to uncover secrets that could defeat The Shade.

I didn't know what to expect going into this book, and I definitely enjoyed it. Gabe is a great prot
A.F. Grappin
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but from the start, I was pretty intrigued. The concept of an artifically-created Ice Age was something, and the cyberpunk-like suit our main character is in has its draw. Gabe is irreverent, capable, and limited by his suit's capabilities while strengthened by them, so there's a good balance with him. Overall, it's not a bad book.

I do feel like the pacing was slow, and things seemed kind of repetitive more often than not. It wasn't bad, really, just
Claudia
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Advance copy review. When I started reading this book, it immediately draw me in. Easy to read and a very fascinating story. I wanted to know more about the historic background and of what had happened to the world. A bid more details on the background would have been great. The ending came a bit abrupt and leaves space for the readers imagination. It was a nice short read and I definitely will try his other book.
Michael Mardel
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Freeze/thaw by Bucholz is an entertaining dystopian read set in lots of snow and ice, thanks to the Shade which is covering the sun. The Dutch eco-terrorists were too successful in preventing global warming. Gabe is the narrator and we learn how he gained an exoskeleton after being paralysed. He rubs his team up the wrong way when they set out to find a quantum computer but this changes until he's worth more to others. There's a little romance but on the up and up the characters shine through.
Kevin
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, sci-fi
I received this ebook for free from LibraryThing early reviews giveaways.

Really enjoyed this book, especially the inner (and outer) monologue of the main character Gabe. Features a small party travelling through the frozen united states, filled with scavengers, to save the world. What could go wrong?
Rob
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Fantastic book. Strong story line, really interesting premise, great character development and thoroughly entertaining. I was spellbound the entire time. Felt like I was in the story. I really hope there's a sequel.
Don Wiggins
Jun 08, 2016
Tim
Oct 04, 2018
Caroline Palmer
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2016
Jonathan
Sep 27, 2016
Jesse Ports
Jul 10, 2016
Chris Bucholz is probably best known for his column at Cracked.com where he regularly shares interesting facts that have been arranged into lists, series, and indices. Mainly lists though. He also periodically gives advice which should never be followed. During the day, he works as a video game writer, and has written for Galactic Civilizations III, Sorcerer King, and the upcoming reboot of Star C ...more