Start by marking “İyi Kız” as Want to Read:
İyi Kız

İyi Kız

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  167,570 ratings  ·  13,872 reviews
İyi bir insan olup olmadığıma karar verecek olanlar kim? Ailem mi? Arkadaşlarım mı? Yoksa ne yaşadığıma dair en ufak bir fikri bile olmayan etrafımdaki insan kalabalığı mı? Tabii ki hiçbiri… İyi ya da kötü biri olduğumu benden başka kimse bilemez.

Nüfuzlu bir ailenin kızı olan resim öğretmeni Mia, esrarengiz bir yabancıyla barda tanıştığı gece ortadan kaybolur. Genç kız ayl
Published January 2016 by Martı Yayınları (first published July 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about İyi Kız, please sign up.
Nancy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Loni The Good Girl was such a disappointment. The writing is obvious, cliche, and talentless. This is a book thrown together to be made into a movie. It…moreThe Good Girl was such a disappointment. The writing is obvious, cliche, and talentless. This is a book thrown together to be made into a movie. It reads as if an semi-educated high schooler wrote it. (less)

·  167,570 ratings  ·  13,872 reviews

Emily May
This book, like many others, is recommended for fans of Gone Girl, but I think if you gave it some different marketing and a younger protagonist, you could easily slot this in among the YA/NA romances.

If this book hadn't been the only one I was carrying on a flight, I doubt I would have finished it. The sluggish pacing is more suited to quiet family dramas than thrillers, and yet the characters' lack of depth paired with trope after trope make it fail as a worthy contribution to that sub-genre
Hannah (Vamp of Savannah)
I was promised a story like Gone Girl. What I got was Gone Girl's annoying little sister.
Predictable and weak.
Also, can anyone say Stockholm Syndrome?

Kandee
This is a debut?!!? WHAT? We need more authors like this out here.

This book is not at all what it seems. I was expecting a book like Gone Girl and what I got was a relative of it. If you liked Gone Girl, you will like The Good Girl. It had me racing through the pages until the very end, WHICH BLEW...MY...MIND!

It didn't really hit me what was going on until the last few pages. I had to reread a couple of pages to get it, but it was enjoyable, not annoying where I just didn't get it. I had an id
Larry H
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear publishing world, for the love of all that is holy, can we stop referring to any book with a scintilla of suspense in it as "the next Gone Girl"? Honestly, these books have very little in common (except for one or two unlikeable characters), so the comparison either sets up unfair expectations or might cause those who disliked the original book to pass this one by. And they shouldn't.

Mia Dennett is the headstrong daughter of James, a powerful and ego-driven Chicago judge, and his English wi
Ash Wednesday
The cover and title typography says “I’m smart and edgy! See that reverse ‘R’? It probably means something related to why the blonde chick wants you to keep quiet. Don’t you want to know why?” And you know I’m all over the smart and edgy with the hint of smart, edgy mindfuck.

The blurb says “An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller” among other things and who cares if my computer is telling me ‘addictively’ isn’t a word? Fuck you, New Oxford American Dictionary! A rich, pretty girl
MollyK
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**** GoodReads Giveaway Winner ***

The publishers of this book will tell you that The Good Girl is the next Gone Girl. It is not, don’t even bother.

There are no fantastic plot twists because you pretty much know from the beginning what is going to happen. The clues are not so much cleverly placed as leadenly bombard the reader. This is not an intelligent read but an attack on the reader’s intelligence. The author relies on lazy literary and cultural stereotypes. In fact, this book was filled wit
Paul Dinger
Aug 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am ashamed to admit that I did read the whole thing. My crap meter went off early on, and I wish I could say it was wrong, but it wasn't. I got taken in by the pretty package, and a good review I am sure I read somewhere. Well, this is bad writing all over. Terrible motivations, has attraction replaced he's / she's crazy as the stupid motivator in movies? Supposed criminal choses not to kidnap woman for evil mastermind because, he's in love. Oh please! The moment things do began to be interest ...more
Mandie Kok
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We'd built a fire from nothing but wood.

So says Good Girl character Colin Thatcher, bragging about his survival skills. I feel that the book can be summed up similarly: she'd written a book using nothing but words. That's all there is to it, words and words and more words, but very little else to recommend it to people who enjoy reading words. If you disagree with me and think that words are all it takes to write a novel, go read a phone book and then get back to me.

I honestly feel torn about de
Diane S ☔
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I just finished this and am completely bowled over about this being a debut novel. Talk about non-stop suspense. Told from three different perspective, during the kidnapping, after the kidnapping when they are trying to piece together what happened and from the detective while he is hunting for the kidnappers. So hard to pull of a book like this off and make it believable, but at least for me the author did an amazing job. Revelations, secrets, some major dysfunction going on. A book where ...more
Judy Collins
A Killer Debut Novel! Mary Kubica’s THE GOOD GIRL will keep you entranced from the first page to the last—where nothing is, as it appears. A world of four desperate, and complex characters, with more in common than they may think.

THE GOOD GIRL takes readers from the vibrant city of Chicago to a remote rustic cabin in the forest during the cold winter of Minnesota—where two people learn to trust one another.

An intense and thought-provoking novel, ideal for book clubs and discussions. Readers wi
Christine
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Lorrie Thomson personally 5
I picked up a copy of The Good Girl as the author, Ms. Mary Kubica, is scheduled for a Q&A in one of my Goodreads groups. I found this book to be an excellent debut novel and a highly enjoyable read.

The Good Girl is an almost completely character-driven story; the main players are very well developed. If you are looking for a big dose of action and/or relentless suspense, this is not the book for you. The tale is about Mia, a prominent judge’s 25-year-old daughter, who is kidnapped in Chicag
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. I'm not sure whether to give this book a 3 or 4 star rating, so we'll call it a 3.5.

Short synopsis: Mia is kidnapped by Colin. Colin is supposed to turn her over to those he works for. Colin decides to keep her in remote cabin instead. We spend entire novel trying to put together the pieces of this story as it is told out of order.

Things I liked: I enjoyed the story being told out of order and by 3 different POV. To me, this kept things fresh and moving quickly. The chapters were short wh
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this novel. It was neither suspenseful nor a thriller. There is a completely predictable "twist" at the end, but good luck making it that far. I skimmed the last 75%. For a while I tried to figure out what was bothering me-the lack of character motivation that made sense? My inability to figure out whether or not there was actually a protagonist? The contrived plot? The not-very-subtle-actually racism pervading the novel (seriously, the author should probably not include a Somali charact ...more
Matthew
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like books with "Girl" in the title
I liked it, I didn't love it.

This probably could have been a short story/novella. It's not a long book, but for me it was longer than it needed to be. It just felt like a lot of plot points were drug out.

Also, I figured it all out very close to the beginning of the book. This is not me bragging! Usually this type of mysterious book keeps me guessing until the end. But, right after I started I turned to my wife, told her that it seems like this is what is going to happen, and it was exactly what
Elyse Walters
Liz
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mia is the 25 year old daughter of a Chicago judge. She is kidnapped, but the kidnapper changes his mind and doesn’t turn her over to the person that ordered the crime. Eventually, she is returned home but is in a total fog as to what has happened. The story is told by multiple narrators, and moves back and forth from before and after her return. The one person you never hear directly from is Mia herself, until the very end.

It’s a character driven book, not big on action. It raises some interes
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*2.5/5

Yeah, I feel like this book can be best summed up by the fact that about 60 pages in I went “oh my god the twist better not be *insert my worst idea for an ending*” and then that’s exactly how it ended
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

It’s the next Gone Girl!!!!

Chicago commercial photographers

Trust me Amy, we ALL want to punch you two in the face at this point.

Okay, so like errrrrrry other book that claimed it was going to be the “next Gone Girl” – this one wasn’t. However, momma likey the new Harlequin dark and seedy romance genre : )

Since this was a mystery/thriller I won’t say much for fear that I’ll give too much away. The basic premise has been done a time or two before:

Colin Thatcher is a g
Clumsy Storyteller
Maaan, This book is really a good twisty dark novel .The ending was heartbreaking and infuriating , I was so mad and upset when I finished it I literally did throw it across the room ! The story is about Mia, a 25 year old girl who is kidnapped from a bar, Colin/Owen is hired to kidnap Mia and deliver her to Dalmar , Colin was following Mia for a really long time before making any move toward her (view spoiler) ...more
Erin Burba
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly? I hated this book.

The characters were flat and unlikeable, the plot was boring. Everything was a cliche.

The worst part is that it was pretty racist. One of the characters, who is black, is described as having "serpentine eyes" and being wild and unpredictable and physically threatening. The author- multiple times- mentioned whether or not there were black people around SPECIFICALLY to indicate the level of danger or the niceness of the neighborhood. It's pretty unbelievable that the b
Dem
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica was a well written debut novel with a plot that is intereting enough to keep the reader turning the pages

The story is told from multiple perspectives and is quite easy to follow. This is the sort of book that provides enough suspense to keep you reading and yet by the end you finish with a somewhat sigh of relief and while it was good you are left feeling it could have been better if..................

While I liked the book I kept comparing it to Still Missing which I
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
It's not that Mia was a particularly good girl - she was pretty normal really; got drunk as a teenager, did all the normal things that most of us do. But she had a good heart, a kind heart.

She's not particularly close to her family, but that's normal in the first flight of independence, and they don't understand her anyway. She is not a high achiever like her sister Grace. She is a disappointment to her father, a judge.

Even when the school where she teaches phones to say Mia hasn't shown for wo
Lori
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho Humm.... That's my initial feeling after finishing this! It certainly wasn't bad, I just felt like I kind of meandered through waiting for something exciting to happen! I was kept interested mainly because I knew something had to happen because it was only 350 pgs! The 'twist' kept it from being 2 stars.... But Iit was ''too little, too late' for me to award more stars!
emma
not rating this because it was a fine thriller but it was also pro-life as hell!! and that's really going to distract from the rest of the book for me.

don't @ me thanks!!!
Krystin Rachel
After all of the glowing reviews I've seen for Mary Kubica, this was actually a bit of a disappointment.

Whomp, whomp

Someone has paid to have Mia kidnapped. Colin, her kidnapper, is hired to do the dirty work. But instead of taking her to his boss, he whisks Mia away to a remote cabin and keeps her for himself.

As one would if they were kidnapping another human being.

My god, doesn't it just seem like SO MUCH WORK? Who would want to kidnap someone?

Like, I get home from work and all I want to do
Lisa
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This riveting story grabbed my attention and held me captive. It is woven with twists and turns which will surprise any reader. My favorite part of the book was the smartly structured and creative format, jumping both in perspective and time. The story is told from alternating perspectives of Colin, Mia’s anxious mother, Eve, Gabe Hoffman, the detective on her case and finally from Mia herself. Each of the narrators are adding to the story by unraveling Mia’s life both before and after the abduc ...more
Britany
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
An excellent thriller about a woman (Mia Dennett) who is abducted for ransom and the plan goes wrong, or does it? Dun dun dunnnnn…

The chapters alternate between Eve (Mia’s mother), Gabe (detective), and Colin (the abductor). We learn all about Mia’s family including her dad who is a prominent judge in Chicago and the world’s biggest jerk! The storyline also veers from ‘before’ and ‘after’—and as a reader, I could feel the tension mounting as the plot got closer and closer to whatever ‘IT’ was. T
Mainlinebooker
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Gone Girl, you will love The Good Girl..Highly suspenseful, I finished it in 2 days. The story revolves around a woman who is kidnapped and spends time with her assailant in the backwoods of Minnesota. Three different narrators, her mother, the police detective and the kidnapper share their feelings and stories of before and after the kidnapping.I am not going to say anymore at the risk of being a plot spoiler but the ending threw me for a loop..This is going to be a blockbuster!
Jonetta
Mia Dennett goes to a bar one evening, planning to meet up with the man she's been seeing. He cancels after she arrives but ends up with Colin Thatcher, a man hired to abduct her. What ensues is a bizarre story told by several narrators.

I found the story interesting, especially its use of multiple characters to tell the story in the past and present. I never found it confusing and it was delivered coherently despite it not being linear storytelling, sort of like lots of asides before you get th
Lisa
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book The Good Girl Kubica is a well written novel which was a real page turner warning the book goes backwards & forwards which i am getting used to the plot was great & i felt a liking towards Colin The Protagonist he had a close relationship to Mia & she became very attached to him Stockholm Syndrome.

I hated her father the judge he was a cantankerous person who was very manipulative & had his own agendas i could not believe the ending . really enjoyed this book.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count correction - The Good Girl (paperback) 4 20 Apr 16, 2019 07:29AM
máy làm đá fsm300 1 1 Mar 28, 2019 08:47PM
The good girl 5 18 Feb 14, 2019 01:00AM
Play Book Tag: The Good Girl - 2 stars 3 15 Dec 11, 2018 12:43PM
The good girl 3 8 Dec 11, 2018 07:45AM
The good girl 1 6 Nov 13, 2018 08:07PM

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Good Goodbye
  • The Black Hour
  • All the Missing Girls
  • Little Black Lies (Zoe Goldman, #1)
  • The Silent Sister (Riley MacPherson, #1)
  • The Guest Room
  • In the Blood
  • Never Come Back
  • Copycat
  • Dear Daughter
  • Where They Found Her
  • The Girl Who Was Taken
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
Mary Kubica is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of four novels. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in History and American Literature. Mary lives outside of Chicago with her husband and two children.
“I know how betrayal and disillusionment feel, when someone who could give you the world refuses even a tiny piece of it.” 50 likes
“The goal with teenagers is simply getting through it alive, with no permanent damage.” 25 likes