Start by marking “The Safety of Secrets” as Want to Read:
The Safety of Secrets

The Safety of Secrets

2.84  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"Now we're just alike." So begins Fiona and Patricia's friendship that warm autumn morning in first grade in Lake Charles, Louisiana, their bond forged ever closer by Fiona's abusive mother and Patricia's neglectful one. Their relationship is a source of continuity and strength through their move to L.A. to become actresses; through Fiona's marriage and Patricia's sudden f ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Safety of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Safety of Secrets

Ti
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
The Safety of Secrets is about friends Fiona and Patricia and how they cope with secret from their childhood. Working as successful actresses in Hollywood, their lives are filled with work and husbands and memories that they share. After Fiona learns that she is pregnant..she begins to evaluate the relationship she had with her own mother and tries to come to terms with things that happened to her as a child.

The author did a good job of describing adolescent angst, but as adults..the characters
Sheila
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coming-of-age
Meeting Delaune Michel at her book-signing was like making a new friend. And reading her book, "The Safety of Secrets," was like making another. The story is told in present tense by a first person narrator called Fiona – and no; there is really no other way it could be told. Fiona is the reader’s new friend, narrating her life story, just as it happens.

When we first meet, Fiona is just finding out that she’s pregnant. Of course, the first person she tells is her best friend. We, the readers, ar
Stacie
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was very anxious to read this book and I was not disappointed. It was a quick and enjoyable read. I loved the storyline of a true lifelong friendship. As a mom, I was troubled by how the mothers treated Fiona and Patricia as children, but am glad they had eachother to grow up with. The storyline travels back and forth from childhood to the present. The secret between them isn't revealed until the last part of the book, but I was able to pretty much figure out what it was. Fiona and Patricia ha ...more
Wendy
Dec 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
I had to read all of this because I didn't have anything else on my vacation. Basically a self centered woman has a even more self centered friend. The first girl complains about how the second lives and treats her. At one point I think we are supposed to feel sorry for the first girl because of some things that happened to her when she was a kid. Mind you these things are bad but hardly worse then most peoples life stories. And her friend has it way worse. The first girls has no sympathy for th ...more
Ann
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a book about friendship, marriage, motherhood, and career that's a page turner! Fiona and Patricia have been best friends since first grade in Louisiana and now they are both actresses in LA. They share a world of secrets. The author, DeLaune Michel, knows the hearts of these women and she knows the ways of Hollywood. Humor, language we recognize worded in ways we don't, and real characters make this a book you will want to share.

NOTE: The author is from a literary family that includes he
Deb
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because I met the author in a bookstore and she seemed delightful. Also, her uncle is Andre Dubus, an incredible writer, and her cousin is Andre Dubus III. Alas, she doesn't have the family writing chops. I really wanted to like it. Just never ended up caring about the characters, and the big secret turned out to be less than expected. Her writing itself is adequate but ordinary.
Elizabeth Rowe
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Christen
Jan 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. The writing was elementary and the storyline bogged down by a melodramatic whinny spoiled Hollywood brat who is mad at her best friend for seemingly no reason, yet won't confront her like an adult. I read the first 124 pages, skimmed the next fifty and couldn't bring myself to finish it. My suggestion- do not even think about it! Sorry, Lauren :)
Jami
Dec 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I didn't understand the point of this book. The plot was very sketchy and the book was sloppy in attempting to do two story lines at once. Complete waste of time.
Pam
May 04, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, louisiana
rec from bookmooch
Mary Catherine
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Now we’re just alike.”

With a simple sentence, a friendship is forged between two young girls in THE SAFETY OF SECRETS by Delaune Michel. The two girls come from neglectful families and they use the similarity to band together, to become stronger.

Years later, the two women are still friends though their lives have changed quite a bit from their childhood days in Louisiana. Now actresses in Hollywood, main character Fiona suddenly finds herself with a large shift occurring in her life while best
Serena
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I received The Safety of Secrets by Delaune Michel from Book Club Girl, who will be hosting a book discussion with the author on Oct. 22 at 7 PM. For those of you have read the book, I encourage you to join the discussion in the chat room or on the phone lines. Here's the call in number: (347) 945-6149.

This novel takes the reader on a fluctuating journey between Louisiana and Los Angeles with two friends, Patricia, a semi-famous actress, and Fiona, her less-famous friend. The work examines the l
Jackie
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of women's fiction
This is an intriguing story about the ties of friendship over the years. Two little girls--Fiona and Patricia--become friends over a pair of socks, but bond most deeply because their shared experience of bad mothers (one is neglectful, one is abusive). Inseparable, the two girls, now women, go to LA to become actresses. Their varying degrees of success both at their careers and at their personal lives change their friendship, strengthening it here, stretching it thin there. Until one of the wome ...more
Rose
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
M
Mar 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was probably one of the worst books i've read in a while. It very poorly written. So many run- on sentences and rhetorical questions that the character "suddenly realizes" answers to. The characters are extremely annoying but the plot had so much potential. The author dragged out the story way longer than she should have. It was a painful read. I am very tempted to hand this book over to a bum to use in a fire. At least it'll keep him warm...
Chris Stalnaker
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Very quick read. It was a little far-fetched to believe that these two girls from a small southern town made it to Hollywood and had real acting careers -- one as a big star and one as a working actress in commericials and movies of the week. I enjoyed reading about L.A. because I miss it there, but it was definitely a myopic view of what L.A. is like although for actors in Hollywood (which comprise a small part of L.A. population) I think it was spot on.
Jen
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female_ism
I wanted to like this book; the changing nature of women's friendships is something I'm interested in, and a story about a woman being pregnant in her mid-thirties hits home. However, the book just went in too many directions with an eventual overly-forshadowed "ooohhh" confession/release. I tried to have sympathy for the children and the adults they became, but they weren't super sympathetic characters.

Carla Baechtle
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A enjoyable read, if a bit heavy hearted. The "secret" is fairy obvious and when it is ultimately revealed it is almost anti climatic. It is clear how all the threads of the story come together but I feel that the one one that resonated and wss the most well written and explored was that of the main character's childhood with her mother. If each plot string had rung as true the book would have been more satisfying.
Laura Hogensen
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
A breezy read. While I didn't get into this book as much as I have others, it was a nice break while I readied myself for a more challenging read. My favorite parts were when the narrator is describing LA. Those parts were dead on, and it's clear that the author had spent some time out here.
Daisy
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
There is something about the endings of the two books of hers that I've read that make them worthwhile. Getting there is arduous though. Annoying characters in this one made the passage difficult but it wraps up kind of sweetly in tone. Nice title.
Mary Wagner
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
The characters weren't very likable, and I had a hard time believing that the reactions the characters had to the situations faced were realistic. Given the seriousness of some of the subjects, I found the characters to be shallow in their responses.
Tyra
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good story. You could tell that the author really understood the whole LA lifestyle. It could be a good book club read depending on the makeup of the group. There were some parts that I would have liked explored further, but in general, it was a good book.
Jenna
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Picked this one off the shelf because the cover intrigued me for some reason. (I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover but I do it all the time) I'm about halfway through this easy reader and am enjoying it...
Akeiisa
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A quick and engrossing read, although it takes a little too long to reveal any secrets. And while the focus of the book is on relationships, when I finished the book I didn't know exactly where things stood in several of the main character's most significant relationships.
Breann
May 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Blah. Didn't finish this one.
Julie
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully insightful examination of the life of a friendship. A work that touched me to the core.
Susan
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Two horrible women treat each other badly. They become a bit more sympathetic towards the end of the book, but still....
Karol
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Great story about relationships, best friends, and how our childhood never leaves us.
Julie Roake
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
good airplane read
Linda
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has in the glitzy setting of celebrities and actors, which don't really interest me. It wasn't particularly realistic, nor was it compelling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Geography of Love: A Memoir
  • Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead
  • Trudy's Promise
  • The Parting Glass
  • The Camera Never Lies (Hometown Mysteries)
  • The Morning After
  • Now You See Him
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • Gregorius
A beautifully written exploration of the bonds forged in childhood and challenged decades later."
More about DeLauné Michel...