Start by marking “Between You and Me” as Want to Read:
Between You and Me

Between You and Me

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  13,194 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews
They say every marriage has its secrets.
But no one sees what happens behind closed doors.
And sometimes those doors should never be opened …

Sal and Charlie are married. They love each other. But they aren’t happy. Sal cannot leave, no matter what Charlie does – no matter how much it hurts.
Published March 17th 2016 by Carina UK

To ask other readers questions about Between You and Me, please sign up.
Storm Grayson A very clever twist, the story lead you up the wrong path because you assumed you knew the characters go back and read it again now you know the endin…moreA very clever twist, the story lead you up the wrong path because you assumed you knew the characters go back and read it again now you know the ending and you will see how clever the author was in the wording.(less)
Liz I do remember thinking part way through the book, why did Charlie take his wife's name when Sal's parents were introduced at some point.
…more
(less)

·  13,194 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews

Start your review of Between You and Me
Deanna
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic debut novel. Congratulations Lisa Hall!!

WOW!!

It was suggested that I go into reading this book blind. I didn't go in completely blind but I didn't read as many reviews as I normally would. Actually the description itself is fairly short. Perfect description for this book. But it pulled me right in. I wanted to read it right at that moment.

"They say every marriage has its secrets.
But no one sees what happens behind closed doors.
And sometimes those doors should never be opene
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I'd like to thank Netgalley for my digital copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

OH MY GOD THAT TWIST.

I'm going to keep my lips sealed as much as possible on this one. I feel like I had an advantage reading this before it had a chance of being spoiled for me. Yes, there is a significant twist, but my rating wasn't wrapped up solely in that. It played a part, but I felt like this was a story that needed to be told.

The plot revolves around an abusive relationship between Charlie and Sal.
Kaceey
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I may be in the minority on this one. There was no WOW factor for me.
There is nothing I like more than a mind blowing psychological thriller that leaves me with my jaw dropped to the floor. From the teaser in the title, I expected an amazing thriller with a shocking twist. Unfortunately it fell flat for me. Deciphered this one early....no surprise for me.... Damn !

I hope everyone else has better luck with this book than I did!
Linda
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Between You and Me from NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Carina UK, and Lisa Hall for the opportunity.

When a slap almost feels like a reward......

This ain't no Clark Gable and Carol Lombard story happening here.

Sal and Charlie are a married couple with a young daughter, Maggie. They met at a Student Union bar years ago when both of them traveled in different lanes for different purposes. Whatever drew them together at one point in time has now dragged
Nazanin
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016, mystery
1.5 Stars

First of all, reading this book was really hard for me, it was full of abusing and really made me uncomfortable. I don’t mind a bit but in this one, it was too much, regarding that the story was based on it. But I should say the writing was addictive (and sometimes repetitive but I don’t mind it). All the time I was searching for the mystery in the story but I couldn’t find it and at the end when I found what was the mystery it disappointed me. I found it a bit unreal (as the characters
Debbie
Man, I feel schizo. There’s Debbie the Thrill Seeker, who, like almost everyone who reads this, is absolutely blown away by The Twist. Right before it, I’m at the top of the roller coaster hill, not quite knowing when the fun is going to start, and then suddenly I’m flying down, whee……! It’s exhilarating beyond words. A thrill like that, it just makes me feel goooood!!! And then there’s a relaxing afterglow, when I bask in the thrill for a while and admire the shit out of the writer. I couldn’t ...more
Christine
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Chelsea 5

I would like to thank Net Galley, Carina UK, and Ms. Lisa Hall for an advanced review copy of this novel in exchange for an unbiased review.

Dear potential readers:

This is a fantastic psychological thriller and debut novel by Ms. Lisa Hall. That is all you want to know about this book before reading it. Do not read the reviews until you have finished the story. Go in as cold as possible. The less you know, the more bang for your buck. Trust me, readers; this one is a real winner and a b
Melissa
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am constantly living on a knife-edge, where even one sentence taken in slightly the wrong manner can mean the difference between war and peace.

Full of shocking realism, this story grabbed me at the prologue and refused to let go.

Charlie and Sal are a married couple trapped in a never-ending cycle of abuse. At times it's painful to watch. Especially when you know in the back of your mind there's no chance for a happy ending.

The way the author tells the story, from both the husband and the
Jennie Campbell
Jun 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Charlie
I see Sal writing Sal's review of 'Between You and Me' on Sal's computer and Sal types in the word but Sal doesn't know quite how to explain just how bloody awful this book is. So I punch Sal then tell Sal it is all Sal's fault for making me angry.

Sal
Charlie is watching me writing a review of 'Between You and Me'. I feel Charlie's eyes watching me. Charlie says that there is something funny about the prose. Charlie punches me. It hurts. Charlie punches me a lot, but then Charlie says sor
Sue
BETWEEN YOU AND ME by Lisa Hall is an amazing debut novel dealing with an abusive relationship. So hard to believe this is a debut novel, as it is exceptionally well written!
This is one of the best novels I have read this year!

“They say every marriage has its secrets.
But no one sees what happens behind closed doors.
And sometimes those doors should never be opened …”

Sal and Charlie are married with a five-year-old daughter, Maggie. They had met on campus. Charlie is a corporate lawyer, and Sa
Jan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best debut novels I've ever read!!

*****But a warning to those who like to be completely blindsided---don't read another single review for this book until after you've read it!!*****

Extremely well written and engaging, it grabs you from the first chapter and doesn't let up until the last word. Like a train just starting out, you can feel the slow build ramping up to full speed with every page until BAM, you get hit with a twist you never saw coming! This is why I recommend not
Esil
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I don't much like being an outlier, but when it comes to psychological thrillers I seem to often be the lonely one in the negative camp. Between You and Me was very well liked by a few GR friends and their reviews got me curious so I requested a copy from Netgalley. I should probably have known that this one wasn't for me when I saw that the premise of the book is an abusive relationship between the main characters -- Charlie and Sal. From the get go, this made me feel tense in an icky way. The ...more
Zoeytron
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A copy was furnished to me by Net Galley in exchange for a review.

Assumptions. We make them every day. I made a big one with this novel and was soundly kicked in the keister for my trouble. You got me fair and square. Outrageous!

Avoid reading reviews until you have read the book. Sooner or later there are going to be spoilerisms out there and it would be a shame to have this one ruined for you.

Um, just between you and me, I do believe Lisa Hall has a winner on her hands.
*TANYA*
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! What an ending!! I was totally taken off kilter. I did not see that coming at all. Heartbreaking and fantastic rolled into one great book.
Jules
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My best advice to anyone considering reading this book, is DO NOT read reviews about this book before reading it yourself (except this one, ha ha).

I know a few of you will be used to my essay length reviews, but I have deliberately made this review as vague as possible, as I feel I knew a little too much about this before reading it, due to other reviews and comments I had seen. It is better to throw yourself into this without the knowledge of those who have read it.

What I will say, is it is ver
Jan
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Once again, I am blinded by the glow of so many stars.
At 20% I knew it wasn't for me and I thought about DNF.
My curiosity didn't let me though and I went all the way.
The so expected twist comes.
With a new perspective about the whole story, I looked back and wanted to hit my head against the wall. It was that or my kindle.
I can't even.
How could a man be so weak?!
I didn't enjoyed this story at all.
Hope my friends like it a bit more than me :(

Updated due to another comm 07/02/2018
"This is not a re
Lisa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
OH MY FREAKING GOD I am gobsmacked I just loved loved loved this one so much I could not put it down I wont give a long review as it will give it away but Bloody hell I am left speechless. The plot is told between alternating POV"S which I loved between Charlie & Sal my rating for this is a big 5 * + rating , my heart was pounding right through as the subject matter really got to me. I wanted to punch & scream at Charlie to stop my emotion level was right up there.

If you decide to read this book
Myrna
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-ebook
Suspenseful.....dark.....jaw dropping. This novel showed that no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors. I knew part of the twist because one reviewer didn't add spoiler alerts but I was still surprised.  photo ah-you-got-j89fzs.jpg_zpsp94r6am8.pngDidn't rate it higher because there was a lot of repetition but still a good read. ...more
Debbie "DJ"
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-mystery
I know a lot of readers really liked this book, so I'm currently ducking my head! This is the typical he said, she said thriller, with each chapter alternating points of view. Often however, the stories were so similar they felt like filler. The whole book hinges on one unexpected twist, and while I love a "WOW" moment, I felt as if the book was written around the twist. The writing seemed flat, and the characters somewhat manufactured. As I said, I am so ducking!
Amy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock because I didn’t read this last year when it was released. When I signed up for the TBC 2017 reading challenge and saw this would fit one of their criteria, I was excited because I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about this debut. I’m so pleased to say that I loved it just as much as my friends assured me I would!

I’m going to keep this fairly short and sweet because even though this has been out f
Janet
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
So, after reading a couple of reviews and firmly being told not to read any reviews!! I stopped and picked up my Kindle earlier today. It's now late evening and I've finished!

Between You and Me is a book about a couple and their outwardly perfect lives. Behind closed doors, however, things are very different. Charlie and Sal meet at university, settle in together and marry. Cut to a few years later and they now have a little girl, Maggie.

Billed as a psychological thriller with a twist ..... and
Carol
WHAT? HA! Not everything IS what it seems!

Together Forever....The Perfect Family....I don't think so........

BETWEEN YOU AND ME is a story of domestic abuse with a sick, self-self-self serving control freak who demands rules must be followed or fitting punishments will be inflicted....lessons will be learned.

BETWEEN YOU AND ME is also a story we've all heard before....but with a kicker.

Told from two alternating perspectives, the redundancy in the telling about drove me mad, if I'm to be hones

Shelagh Rice
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW! WOW!

This is brilliant psychological thriller/mystery. My first 5 star this year. Best advice don't read lots of reviews just get it and read it. Can't recommend it enough. I loved it.
Noeleen
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finally a book which isn’t compared to Gone Girl yet lives up to the psychological thriller tag in a big way. Expertly told from alternating character perspectives with short snappy yet thoroughly effective chapters. Extremely well developed characters and plot with an amazing ‘knock me down with a feather ‘ twist that I didn’t see coming. Devoured this in 24 hours, just couldn’t put it down. Fabulous debut, well done Lisa Hall, loved it!
Tracy Fenton
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Is this really the author's debut novel? This story was utterly gripping and compelling and told with such detail and description that I felt like I was actually there watching Sal and Charlie's marriage disintegrate. An exceptionally clever story and a real page turner (except I read it on my kindle so is that a "screen tapper"?). Highly recommended to all fans of psychological thrillers.
Christine
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2016
I love it when an author explores a dark, twisted relationship. Debut author, Lisa Hall does just that with shocking and heart-thumping authenticity.

The story explores the relationship between Sal and Charlie. We hear from both of them and see them in action. Sal stays at home, looking after their young daughter and Charlie works as a corporate lawyer. This family looks perfect on the outside; stable, successful and happy. However Charlie has a temper and sometimes strikes out at Sal. What will
Linda Strong
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Common signs of an abusive relationship are if one or both partners:

Prevents contact and communication with friends and family

Controls money and important identification, such as driver’s licenses and passports

Causes embarrassment with bad names and put-downs

Has unrealistic expectations, like partner being available at all times

Acts like abuse is not a big deal, or denies it’s happening

Plays mind games to place blame on the survivor

Destroys property or threatens to kill pets

Shoves, slaps, chokes
Lee
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is really about domestic violence but do not let this put you off, I enjoyed it. The story is told from the perspectives of the two main characters, Sal and Charlie. We get to see both these personalities in action and learn about their relationship. The story builds as it progresses and there is a major twist at the end that I did not see coming. It was not what I expected and I was quite shocked at the end, the sign of a good book.
Rossy
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
In one word: AMAZING.
I can't say much without giving some details away, so I'll just say that it is a great book about an abusive relationship between Sal and Charlie, told from their two POV, so we get a glimpse inside each of the characters' minds.
AND THE TWIST. Wth did I just read? Amazing again.
I can't believe this is the author's debut novel. I'll be definitely waiting for more!
Zuky the BookBum
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, kindle, 2017
Buddy read with Janel from Keeper of Pages!

I hadn't seen too much about this book before going into it, other than a few bloggers claiming it as "the book with the best plot twist of 2016", so I was half expecting big things, and half not expecting much at all. It's safe to say that I'm disappointed. I saw the "plot twist" coming from a mile off. (view spoiler) there is actually a point in the novel where Hall makes it really e

• The Perfect Couple
  • Our Little Lies
  • The Good Mother
  • Blood Orange

News & Interviews

“Things happen; people have different experiences that change the way they look at the world. Sometimes you just have to accept that there’s nothing you can do. Sometimes friendships just naturally come to an end.’ Radu” 1 likes
“the” 0 likes