Start by marking “Once Upon A Dream (Bedwyn Saga, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon A Dream (Bedwyn Saga, #6.5)

Once Upon A Dream

(Bedwyn Saga #6.5)

Mary Balogh and Grace Burrowes team up to create a pair of Regency novellas each set at a summer house party.

In "Another Dream" by Mary Balogh, Miss Eleanor Thompson has found satisfaction as the director of a respected school for girls. The life of a dedicated educator offers many rewards and much meaning--but also more loneliness than Eleanor anticipated. She accepts
Published April 12th 2016 by Grace Burrowes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon A Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon A Dream

Start your review of Once Upon A Dream (Bedwyn Saga, #6.5)
Lady Wesley
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fair warning to our faithful readers: the following is a giddy fan-girl review.

Two of my favorite authors: Mary Balogh and Grace Burrowes. One of my favorite settings: country house parties. My favorite duke – the Duke of All Dukes: Wulfric Bedwyn, Duke of Bewcastle. No way was I not going to like these two stories.

I’m giving this book five stars, based upon how very much I enjoyed reading it. Some of my HR friends, whose opinions I respect, have been more critical, with one calling these two no
herdys
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a lovely short story! I was so glad Eleanore got her chance at happiness. Balogh keeps tagging my heart strings with her quirky and lovable kids. Please never stop! I also LOVED that we got to see Lizzy making friends and everyone just being happy!
Sruthi
I read the story by Mary Balogh, Only and Only because I could read more of Wulfric, Can you believe it ? I wanted to hate him so much when I first read his character and now I am head over heals in love with him. Oh Wulfric, Pls do meet me in real world.

It was short and sweet, I just wish Eleanor and Micheal had more between them rather than two matchmaking kids. It was just too short and I didn't get enough of my Wulfric .
Jan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 stars. Reread Oct 2019 of the Balogh novella, Once Upon a Dream.

Reread Feb 2020 of the Grace Burrowes novella, Duke of My Dreams.
Janet
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A review is a'comin. Two exceptionally well-written novellas. And here's my review (which I wrote for Heroes and Heartbreakers): http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com...

It's quite long ... be warned.

Mary Balogh and Grace Burrowes clearly enjoyed creating these charming summer sojourns.

Some of Balogh’s most beloved novellas feature children who have lost a parent, and “Another Dream” likewise introduces a sister and a brother who want a new mother.

Burrowes is famous for plots that careen between
Jess
Once again, I hate something everyone else seems to love. But I swear I'm not nitpicking this time. The romance was just crap.

Let's start with the Mary Balogh, titled 'Another Dream'. This was... not good. The premise is a spinster, who regrets not getting over her first love sooner, meets a widower with lonely and charming children, which was promising, but then everything sort of got blurry and the romance was unconvincing and kind of awkward. They meet, have dinner, kiss, separate, meet again
Teresa
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I only read the Mary Balogh novella in this, and it was a nice wrap up to the series. It suffered in the way many novellas do...with the love story feeling too fast, but it seemed to work slightly better for being historical. And I found the aspect with the heroes children to be adorable.
Lu
Considering the limitations of a novella, those two stories were very sweet and satisfying. Mary Balogh and Grace Burrowes are two top authors, so I didn’t expect any different.

The first story was special to me because it is related to the Bedwyn saga and shows the aftermath of my favorite Duke’s wedding. It was wonderful to see him with his kids, still aloof and distant to the people outside his close circle, but happy and warm to those within.
The heroine is his sister in law Eleonor, who after
Lit Reader
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Another Dream by Mary Balogh

This was a Bedwyn Saga installment (6.5), very cute story. Eleanor, spinster sister-in-law of Wulfric, meets a widower Earl at a summer house party. Love blooms with the aid of the Earl's children. Writing children is tough, making them sound true to their ages and experiences, plus the particular personal character the author intends for them; in this case it was not a 100% accomplishment, but the end result was fun and endearing anyway.
4/5 stars.

Duke of my Dreams
Lynne Tull
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
'Another Dream' by Mary Balogh
I just finished reading one of Mary's earlier books. What a difference 30 years makes. I was not engaged in its story or its characters. Fast forward to 2016 and this story. I laughed, smiled, and cried at all of the appropriate places. This is the love story of Eleanor, the sister of Wulfric Bedwyn's wife. All of the Bedwyn's appeared and brought back good memories of their love stories. I think I am going read them again. I love the Bedwyn's. Recommend.
'Duke of My
OLT
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
These are sweet comfort reads but there's nothing new in either story. Well, perhaps with the exception of the reason the heroine of Burrowes' story has for not being able to marry her duke. That was one that doesn't come up much (if at all). Other than that, these two novellas, especially the Balogh story, are just reader-friendly, predictable, comfort romance reads. They make you feel the way a nicely-prepared bowl of mac and cheese does. They're comfortable, cozy and reassuring in their famil ...more
Kamala
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
short and sweet
Cherise
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read Balogh's one only for now. It reminds me a bit of slightly dangerous where there is a heyette feel to it, with everything moving so slow. Though I can never fault Balogh's writing and I do enjoy visiting the old friends in simply and slightly series, it fell a bit short for me, namely because while both protagonists are very likeable and I adore the little ones, their romance is so short it is a bit incredible. Except for a brief dinner, these two really hardly interact. While it is still a ...more
Elaine
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MB story visits the Bedwyn family again (my favourite series from MB). It is such a FAB read. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

GB story was also a thrilling read and enjoyable. I loved how this story was packed with witty banter, especially around the children. This was only my second reading from GB, but I will definitely read more from this author!

The two stories are basically the same plot - so if you read them in order as they are in the book, then you know what's coming in the second!

Overall: 5*

KimberlyRose
This is a collection of two novellas: the first, by a favourite and familiar writer of mine, Balogh, tells the story of what was an extremely interesting and likeable secondary character from the Bedwyn series; the second is by Burrowes, an author I've only tried a few times but have never liked her tales, finding them boring, lackluster, easily lost in the sea of historical het romances.

True to form, Balogh's tale was fun and compelling. But, disappointment was my biggest reaction. I adored Ele
Amy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The first story was much better. Neither should be read without reading the series the main characters are featured in. Very confusing.
Hesu
I had read these novellas before, but read now the second time. Reading the first one twice was waste of time. The second novella was better. It sparks interest to read more Grace's books. ...more
Aleksandra
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was such a pleasure to finally read Miss Eleanor Thompson's story! I loved her sisters's story in "Slightly Dangerous", where Eleanor was mentioned just a few times, with a glimpse of her past love story and intelligence in her eyes and smile. And what a lovely story Mary Balogh gave her: a man with two children, all in need of love, understanding and gentle guidance, which Eleanor has in abundance! All well known and loving characters are there, from a great number of Mary's books, interwove ...more
Kym
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Setting: England Regency
Genre: Romance
Two of my favorite authors together. How cool is that?
Both of these novellas are set at house parties.
In the first novella, Another Dream by Mary Balogh, girls school owner Eleanor Thompson is on her way to a summer house party at Lindsey Hall, the seat of the Duke of Bewcastle, her brother-in-law. She gets stranded at an inn because of a heavy storm, and meets widowed Mr. Michael Benning and his children. They end up spending time talking and laughing, th
Ilze
Two of my favourite authors together in this small duo of novellas - a dream come true!

It appears that Mary Balogh and Grace Burrowes got together and agreed upon a few of the plot points that they would both put into their stories -
1) The hero is a rich nobleman and widower with small children.
2) The heroine is "on the shelf" or otherwise apparently ineligible to be considered a bride for the hero.
3) The two meet by accident at a coaching inn where they are both, unbeknownst to them, on the wa
Darlene
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked Eleanor Thompson in Slightly Dangerous, Wulfric's story in the Bedwyn Saga. She seemed sensible, but destined for spinsterhood. However, even confirmed single ladies may find they want someone to put a ring on it, when they meet the right someone. Eleanor meets that someone, a widower with two small children, one of whom schemes to marry her father off to Miss Thompson.

This is one of Balogh's trademark gentle stories of good people finding their HEA. No pirates, no spies, no superheated
Patricia
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviewed
BASICALLY, A GUARANTEED TRIUMPH

While it is true that some authors sometimes write books that fail, I have yet to find anything but exceptional excellence from Mary Balogh and Grace Burrows. Two books between one set of covers just makes it all so much better.
As usual, splendid characters. A hint of humor, a lot of sweetness, some randy romps, all tucked tightly together to result in two wonderfully woven tales of love and discovery. I highly recommend.
Hopefulpuffin
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2 for the Balogh. While I enjoyed Eleanor and Michael's story, there were just too many Bedwyns. Whole paragraphs of Bedwyns and their relationships to other Bedwyns. I know many people love the Bedwyns. Unfortunately I'm not one of them, although I did enjoy Wulfric's story.

Had there been less/fewer Bedwyns this would have been a 4 1/2 rating.
Suzanne
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Four stars for the Balogh half of this duet. Fun to return to the Bedwyn world, see Wulfric in action once again, and learn more about Eleanor Thompson.
P.
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Good enough, but it's always less enjoyable when characters seem to be reading their lines. ...more
Sm
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Part of a collection of two short stories - Once Upon a Dream - Another Dream by Mary Balogh and Duke of My Dreams by Grace Burrowes (quick note about that … I felt like Burrowes's story was a poor man’s version of Balogh’s Another Dream, poorly done and not as engaging. I felt myself much more annoyed with it as it went on and did not finish it, no regrets)
Another Dream = 4 stars
Duke of My Dreams = dnf

Story is about Duchess of Bewcastle Christine’s sister Eleanor. I don’t remember Eleanor hitti
Mephala
I’m going to be completely honest, I picked up this bundle solely because of the Grace Borrowes’s story. I loved her novella “May I Have This Duke?”, published in another anthology, Dancing in the Duke's Arms , and I really wanted to know how the secondary couple – Elias, Duke of Sedgemere and Anne Faraday – started their relationship.

No surprise then, that I was much more engrossed in “their” novella than the story from Bedwyn Saga series.

“The Duke of My Dreams” only confirmed how I much en
Gloria
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a duo of romance stories set at house parties.

Another Dream

This short story occurs a couple years after the ending of Simply Perfect.

Eleanor Thompson, sister of Christine Bedwyn, Duchess of Bewcastle, has come to the realization that running "Miss Martin's School for Girls" is not quite the dream she thought it would be. She is on her way to a house party at the Bedwyn estate and will inform Wulfric, Duke of Bewcastle, of this fact. He was, after all, the one to give her the money to p
Sharyn
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreams answered

Two of my favorite authors in one book! I rarely give 5 stars, but both of these were quite wonderful.
Once upon a dream takes us back to the Bedwyn's, a house party where Eleanor, the Duchesses sister attends . She owns a school for girls, and is stuck overnight at an Inn because of a storm. She meets an Earl and his children, and later, all their dreams come true. I laughed and cried . The daughter is a precocious 10 year old and the son a shy 6 year old who long for a mother, th
MissKitty
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
So far I’ve only read the first story, the on by Mary Balogh... I purposely looked for this book because I really really loved he characters in the previous book, Wulfric Bedwyn and Christine and I just wanted more of them.

This book is about Eleanor, Christine’s sister who finds her HEA with a charming widower and his kids. They are both guests at the estate of the Duke and Christine. This is also a sweet tale, but what made it for me was re-connecting with all the characters from the previous b
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dancing in the Duke's Arms
  • A Hathaway Wedding (The Hathaways, #2.5)
  • When She Was Naughty
  • Dukes by the Dozen
  • The Truth About Dukes (Rogues to Riches, #5)
  • Deception
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy, #1)
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • A Duke Walked into a House Party: May I Have This Duke / The Duke of My Dreams
  • A Kiss for Luck (Sweetest Kisses, #0.6)
  • No Other Duke Will Do (Windham Brides, #3)
  • Too Wilde to Wed (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Marry in Scarlet (Marriage of Convenience, #4)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Too Scot to Handle (Windham Brides, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Bedwyn Saga (6 books)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)