Start by marking “Medications and Mothers' Milk” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Medications and Mother...

Thomas W. Hale

Medications and Mothers' Milk

This best-selling reference of medications and breastfeeding is now back in an updated 12th edition. This book provides you with the most complete, easy to read, and relevant information on breastfeeding and using medications found anywhere in the world. Soon to be in its 4th language, Medications and Mother's Milk is considered the most authoritative source in this field. ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Pharmasoft Medical Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Medications and Mothers' Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medications and Mothers' Milk

Start your review of Medications and Mothers' Milk
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, parenting
I learned from this book that (in my own words) unless it's a decongestant (which will significantly decrease your milk) or radioactive, you can probably take it while pregnant or breastfeeding. Really.

Three years ago, I wanted to keep taking a newish antidepressant while pregnant, but since there were concerns based on one anecdote, I was advised to stop taking it. I find today that the antidepressant I stopped taking is now a preferred med for pregnancy and breastfeeding. What a hardship that
Meagan
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had a dollar for every time a Dr told
Me "wean" because of a medication, I would be rich. They don't know, they don't do research, they just tell you To wean. I carried this book with me to every Dr appointment I went to for the three years I was Breastfeeding my two kids. It saved me. It educated physicians who otherwise did not believe me. EVERY mother serious about Breastfeeding should get a copy of this book!!!!
Beth
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Breastfeeding Mothers
Every breastfeeding mother needs this book. I take it with me to EVERY doctor visit. Most doctors will say that almost all medications are off limits during breastfeeding because they get their information from the medication guides put out by the pharmaceutical companies. Those books are written by lawyers to protect pharma companies from litigation.

What I like about this book is that it is technical while the average person can still read it. It has information on half-lifes of medication,
Lorenia
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-have for nursing mothers. Every single time I have been to the doctor over the past four years, I've had medication prescribed to me that was not safe for my nurslings, despite discussing the importance of compatibility with my doctors. I have been told more than once to "simply wean" my child(ren), once even while my child was a newborn. This book has been an invaluable tool to carry with me to every appointment so doctors can select an appropriate and safe alternative medication.
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Updated yearly, this indispensable handbook helps mothers decide the risks, if any, of specific medications and breastfeeding. The updated yearly part is crucial, as new medications come out all the time, and experience and research teaches us how older medications are tolerated. It is written for the health care professional, but used mostly by breastfeeding counselors, and accessible to nursing mothers.
Theresa
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every breastfeeding mother and health professional that works with breastfeeding mothers NEEDS this book. Do not ever believe that you cannot breastfeed on a certain medication without referencing this book!

I have the 2004 edition (time for a new one!) and I am willing to give info on specific meds if needed.
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who works with mothers in a healthcare setting
Indispensable resource for breastfeeding counselors. Updated yearly. All doctors' offices should employ the use of this book and many, many mothers would be spared the trouble of being told to wean "just in case."
Claire
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a reference of how just about any medication, when taken by a breastfeeding mother, affects her breastfeeding child. It is an exhaustive resource that is super helpful, especially interms of antidepressants, but also just as a reference for OTC medication.
Robyn
Good as a reference for pharmacy school, I think some school organization gave copies of this book out for free.
Jenn818
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I use it constantly.
MamasAt Work
A must-have for your collection if you are breastfeeding. ~Cindy
Debbie