Start by marking “Ray Tracing in One Weekend (Ray Tracing Minibooks Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Ray Tracing in One Weekend (Ray Tracing Minibooks Book 1)

Ray Tracing in One Weekend (Ray Tracing Minibooks Book 1)

This informal book takes you through most of the author's university course on ray tracing. Each mini-chapter adds one feature to the ray tracer, and by the end the reader can produce the image on the book cover. Details of basic ray tracing code architecture and C++ classes are given.
Published January 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Ray Tracing in One Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray Tracing in One Weekend

Start your review of Ray Tracing in One Weekend (Ray Tracing Minibooks Book 1)
Ivan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very nice tutorial! It's light on theory, but allows you to get started in ray tracing pretty quickly and generate beautiful images with your own code, just printing pixels colours to PPM image text files (no OpenGL or other heavy weight libraries). I liked the hand-drawn diagrams and author's terse and "to the point" narration style.

I've coded this project in Rust, check it out :)
David Kopec
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As implied by the title, I was able to complete Ray Tracing in One Weekend in about 10 hours, including translating all of the source from C++ to Swift as I went. There's a reason this book is so popular: It's difficult to explain deep technical subjects like this concisely and Shirley does it well. Technical books on a subject like this tend to either be long-winded affairs in textbook format, or poorly written trade books. This book is neither long-winded nor poorly written. In that sense it's ...more
Carlos Scheidegger
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(I mean, I took a course from Pete in grad school, so of course I'm biased) I picked this up to have a small project through which to get back into Rust. The book doesn't disappoint.

I'll tell you this - I've never written anything else that comes near this ratio of satisfaction per line of code. Highly, highly recommended.
Blux
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great approach to writing a quick path tracer to gives impressive results.

A little bit light on the Fresnel equation details, and the code contains some strange sign choices here and there, but overall, great read and a lot of fun to co-implement as you read.
Joe Davis
Great into to ray tracing

Concisely introduces the core concepts of ray tracing. The example code is easy to understand and satisfying to compile & run as you go. A short & enjoyable graphics book that I frequently recommended to others.
Huy Tran
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and easy to follow. I don't read all the code but the math and explanation are very interesting. A must read for anyone want to start writing Ray Tracer.
Bruno Croci
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Very practical book to get into ray tracing.
Michael Fessenden
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple and fantastic resource!

A great learning resource, full of straightforward examples. Provides a great foundation for learning how to build a working raytracer.
Dheerendra Rathor
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of Advanced Computer Graphics classes. Reading about ray tracing is boring (it's just normal physics) but implementation is damn fun.
Antoine Fortin
This one is a gem :)
Dave Yu
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's a very light reference that presents you with a raytracer that can produce some fairly nice-looking images. I don't think that this is a weekend project as the book makes it out to be. I think one to two weeks is a much more reasonable timeframe to complete the raytracer defined in this book. Some of the equations and code (EG: ray refraction, Shlick's approximation) were quickly glossed over, and required additional work from the reader to understand. At the end ...more
Mariusz Bartosik
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, this mini-book is like a notepad with lecture notes. Short explanations, hand drawn images and code snippets are there, but you have to do additional research and organise exercise labs on your own. If you are willing to do this, then this book is for you and can bring you some fun and satisfaction. You can find more detailed review and example pictures here:
Andrew Pankow
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic introduction to producing images with code. This book quickly allows the reader to grasp the simplicity and elegance of the ray-tracing algorithm without a single external piece of code or library. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to become a better texturing/shading artist as well as for those looking to write their own software.
Shritesh Bhattarai
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Does not cover the mathematical foundation required to understand what you are doing but you can have a slick looking ray tracer in a weekend.
Maxim Perepelitsyn
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delivers nice rendered pictures in a minimum number of pages.
Scott Barr
Aug 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Physically Based Rendering: From Theory to Implementation
  • Game Engine Black Book, Wolfenstein 3D
  • City of Darkness and Light (Molly Murphy, #13)
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • The Molly Murphy Series, Books 1-3: Murphy's Law; Death of Riley; For the Love of Mike
  • Lost Children of the Far Islands
  • Fer-de-Lance/The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #1-2)
  • Night Without End
  • Breakheart Pass
  • Opticks
  • Through the Moongate: The Story of Richard Garriott, Origin Systems Inc. and Ultima: Part 1 - From Akalabeth to Ultima VI
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1)
  • The Moving Target (Lew Archer #1)
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • The Stars are Ours (Pax/Astra, #1)
  • Paradox Bound

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
1 follower

This Peter Shirley is an American computer scientist and computer graphics researcher, Distinguished Scientist at NVIDIA.

He earned his PhD in computer science from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1991. He then joined the faculty at Indiana University as an assistant professor. From 1994 to 1996
“Note that I avoid most “modern features” of C++, but inheritance and operator overloading are too useful for ray tracers to pass on.” 0 likes