Start by marking “Cast No Shadows (Curiosity Quills Anthology)” as Want to Read:
Cast No Shadows (Curiosity Quills Anthology)

Cast No Shadows (Curiosity Quills Anthology)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Welcome to the shadowed woods, where the trees breathe with ghosts and the wind whispers of the past.

Twenty-six authors take you through haunted houses and cemeteries with tales that will chill.

Beware the dark, for the spirits await you.
ebook
Published October 10th 2016 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Cast No Shadows, please sign up.
Derek My story is not dark. I wrote a "ghost story" but not a horror story. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "horror" genre. No disrespect to those who…moreMy story is not dark. I wrote a "ghost story" but not a horror story. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "horror" genre. No disrespect to those who are--it does gangbusters business for publishers and authors alike. Just not my thing. Hopefully what I've written is a sweet little ghost story that might have you hugging those you love a little tighter the next time.
All my best.
Derek McFadden
"The Final Act Of Keri And Trent"(less)

Dianne
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Is there ever a bad time to enjoy a few spooky, scary or horrific tales? Settle in because this cast of authors have come up with tales to suit every flavor a reader could want, all in bite-sized chunks to be read one at a time or for those of us that just can’t get enough, all at once!!

CAST NO SHADOWS is a collection of tales from urban legends to love from beyond the veil of death with a few demonic spirits tossed in just to get your blood pumping. Each author has imprinted their own style, th
Rebecca McNutt
Well, Halloween is coming up, and if you love creepy stories, urban legends, ghosts and mystery and everything that Halloween entails, you'll definitely want to read this book. Cast No Shadows is like one of those retro old-fashioned ghost story books, similar to ones such as Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and The Haunting Hour. Eerie, original, imaginative and daring, these stories are both frightening and fun and above all else, they're the thing horror is most about - very thrilling. :)
Irene
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have always loved ghost stories from the time I was a little girl, so I jumped on the chance to read this anthology.
These tales and their intensity varies. They include ghosts who came back for unfinished business, gentle spirits who want to protect what they love, demonic forces, and even a touching tale of a little girl who never really had a chance to live, until long after she passed away.
There are spooky graveyards, haunted houses, and things that go bump in the night. Some stories are
Tamara
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

Like another one of Jordan Elizabeth's work (among a collaboration of other authors), this is an anthology of short stories all packed together with a similar idea, in which case, is about ghosts.

I was please by these set of stories, however, some of them were not well written and something I did not find myself enjoying them. However, even saying so, I did find myself enjoying a great deal of them.

To specify, some of the sh
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Curiosity Quills Anthology: Cast No Shadows by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek and many other talented authors is a collection that is perfect for the month of October! Each story has a ghost related theme and spooky as heck! There are 36 stories and each one of them are 4 or 5 stars each!!! There isn't a bad one in the bunch! I tried to pick a favorite and I just couldn't, they all had something intriguing about them. Maybe the story "Sarah" because it was so simple yet awesome! But all were great! Thi ...more
Elisabeth Hamill
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

Cast No Shadows is an anthology of ghostly stories. I was torn, because there is some real brilliance in amongst the dross, but getting there was difficult at times. The majority of the stories are lukewarm in terms of thrilling or even entertaining, and at least one story had some formatting issues in the kindle copy I received.

My favorites ended up being some of the very last, and a less engaged reader may not have even g
Donna
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This anthology is ostensibly a collection of short ghost stories, though several are more spooky stories than ghost stories. Comments on the individual tales in the collection are below, but if you like spooky tales and prefer your stories short enough to read while commuting or eating (or telling round the campfire!), this is definitely the boxset for you.

Individually:
The Final Act of Keri and Trent by Derek McFadden (4*)
This was a little strange and a little weird, in its look into the end of
Alyce Hunt
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
First things first, I need to say a huge thank you to Curiosity Quills publishing for allowing me access to this title in exchange for an honest review.

'Seeing a ghost is meeting the past. Someone who should no longer exist still lingers. Communicating with a spirit is communicating with history. Who knows what secrets a ghost will reveal, or what doors they will unlock you never knew existed?'

I'm a sucker for a ghost story. I'm a sucker for short stories. So as soon as I saw this anthology on
Nicholas Masters
Mixed feelings about this anthology.

Some really great stories, with Ghostly Affection by Grace M. DeLeesie really setting the tone for what I thought would be an epic compilation of stories.
But then there were too many page fillers (I know I can't be too critical, as some of these stories are forays into writing by some new budding authors) but one or two 1 * stories leave a bad taste in your mouth that requires a few good stories to start forgetting about. And then as you feel you are back on t
August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
Review: CAST NO SHADOWS (Anthology) [Various Authors]

My routine taste in horror is for the dark, even extreme. Occasionally, though, it's good to break from routine and enjoy something lighter. The stories in this collection are hopeful, adorable, and ultimately uplifting. None will proffer nightmares, but will encourage good dreams (and good will to all). I think this anthology is a great choice if you've just finished reading dark horror, or if the world's plethora of real-life angst is bringi
Dave Higgins
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Twenty-six authors provide their spin on one of the oldest stories known to humankind: the ghost story

This anthology contains 36 stories of various lengths and styles.

With an area as old as the ghost story, it is perhaps unsurprising that none of these stories breaks new ground. However, each author puts their own detail around the bones, preventing trope from becoming cliché.

And every famous trope can be found here: the ghost taken for human, the ghost who doesn’t realise it, helpful ghosts, ev
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

*** 3 Cranky Stars ***

This is a somewhat difficult review to write. Cast No Shadows is an anthology listed as “horror” on Amazon. My rating is based on an average from all the short stories I read.

As a horror fan, I grabbed this with glee. I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. I think it’s the type of horror anthology that would appeal to YA, rather than hard-core horror nuts like me.

There are twenty-six authors and thirty-six short stories. Herein lay some of my issues. There is a differe
Leigh
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I've probably said this before, but I'm a big fan of anthologies. Short stories are hard to write well, and I really appreciate the efforts of those who create them. So when I had the opportunity to read an anthology from Curiosity Quills, I was very happy to do so.

It has been a really long time since I've read a story about ghosts, and I was a bit worried about it - I'm a total scaredy cat. But Cast No Shadows st
Kaye Booth
Cast No Shadows is a Curiosity Quills Press anthology of ghost stories for YA readers, but some may not be what you’d expect when you think of ghost stories. Overall, I thought this anthology was a great group of ghost stories for a YA audience. Even the scariest ones achieved the effect without being too gruesome or violent.

Read my full review on my blog: https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
Simona
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
*I've got this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review*

I'm trying....I'm STILL trying to find a good short story collection in this genre and I truly believed, that this book will be one of the better ones. However my hopes and dreams were crashed after first few stories.
Honestly, if you asked me, to tell at least one of the bunch of stories, that are in this book, I couldn't. Not because I don't want to, but because they were so boring, that I thought, I will rip my eyes with my ow
Seraphia
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Curiosity Quills Presents: Cast No Shadows is an anthology of supernatural stories by a variety of authors. Some of these stories are shorter than others but they all have one thing in common: ghosts, spirits and the paranormal. Granted none of these stories are really "scary" or even really spooky to be honest I still really enjoyed the variety that the authors bring to the mix. It's really enjoyable if you are into these types of stories. Though if you are looking for something spooky scary th ...more
Elevetha
*An copy of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I gave it two stars because I didn't hate it, but it feels awfully generous for how I did feel about it.

Basically, there were a few half-decent stories in here, but for the most part, I was incredibly bored and/or completely indifferent. I did skip two or three stories - I restrained myself mightily. None of the half-decent ones stood out as particularly good either. Additionally, story aside, qui
Sean Duggan
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Honestly, when I first finished reading the stories, I was going to rate the book lower. The stories are, well, sort of pedestrian. Most are the sort of stories that kids tell around campfires where characters are introduced, something happens, and BAM, ghosts, the end. They're not badly written, and I don't remember encountering any spelling, grammar, or formatting errors, but they lack any real punch. There's noth
Tanya
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I got this book from NetGalley and it was a lot longer than I thought it would be. Sometimes I would read 4 or 5 stories and only get through 3% more of the book. The stories varied in length, but they were all about ghosts. They took place in haunted houses, cemeteries, back roads and other locations in New York, with a few taking place elsewhere. It took me a few months to get through this one.
To me, this one was just ok. The stories were alright, but none of them were particularly memorable a
TDCbookreviews
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cast No Shadows by Jordan Elizabeth

Genre: Paranormal/Horror

About the book: Many different horror/paranormal stories. So harmless and somrle scary, read if you dare.

Review: Each and every story was different but I loved them all each in their own read. It was a quick and very enjoyable read.

Author Page/Website: http://www.jordanelizabethmierek.com

Link where you can purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-Quil...

Overall Rating (Out of 5 Stars): 5 out of 5 stars

Ashley Tomlinson
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories about ghosts. Since I love ghosts and all things creepy I jumped at the chance to read this. Plus, I like Jordan Elizabeth's work.

Like all anthologies, there were some stories that I liked and some that I didn't. When it comes to ghost stories I tend to be a little more critical of them because I love them so much. There were a few that I didn't really like.

I liked the Cinderella retelling, even though I typically don't like retellings. I also really likes A
Vivian
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest opinon.

Cast No Shadows is a anthology of short "ghost stories" that peaked an interest for me. I personally don't have a specific genre I stick to. Some of the stories had me so intrigued, that by the end they had me thinking, "this CANT be it, I need to know more!" But, unfortunately, a few of the stories fell short, they were missing that "creepy factor," I guess you'd say.

All in all Cast No Shadows is still a book I recommend
Paula
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for NetGalley.

"Cast No Shadows" is a very entertaining anthology of YA ghost stories. Most of the stories are short and well written. They range from the traditional, historical haunted house tropes to the new urban myth genre.

The stories are all appealing in their own way. Some sentimental, some scary, all a lot of fun to read. A great read for someone interested in a good ghost story!
Vicky Salgado Esquivel
I wanted to love this book, but I ended up being unimpressed by it, some of the stories were great and sort of scary but some of them had an abrupt ending that left me kind of lost and uncomfortable.

But I have to rescue the fact that all of them were well written, the cover is great but I felt like it didn't match with the inside, I was expecting not being able to sleep once I finished reading this book!
Alycia Canfield
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
These short stories are for young adults and though I would normally be good with that, these just didn't hold me like most do. These kind of had the normal "ya horror" to them. I think that many young adults would enjoy. I feel that some of the stories are really creepy and some were funny. I would say that some of the writers would do better on their own and some wouldn't sell anything on their own!
received this on a honest review!
Kaila
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting set of books and authors. I personally didn't feel that it was "horror" persay but it had some of the slight creep factors.. now if it was YA (which I have no clue if it is or not but I think i saw its adult) it might be more horror then adult. But the stories themselves were good. I enjoyed them and the writing was very good . i am glad i got to review it
Kandy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ghost, ghosts and more ghosts. The perfect book to read during the Halloween season, or any time of the year for that matter. I loved all of the stories in this anthology. They were all written so good. Some stories were scary, some were heart warming and some can only be described as WOW!
Diane
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received a complimentary copy to read and review. The stories were good. Couldn't pick one favorite story as I liked them all. A good read for the month of October as Halloween is right around the corner. Readers who like ghost stories will enjoy the stories included in this anthology.
Alicia Huxtable
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection of short ghost stories. Well written with enough details to still give you goosebumps. Each author has bought there own unique story to life.
Paula Genereau
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! This anthology was amazing. Had a lot of great stories in it. I was hooked from the beginning

Curiosity Quills Anthology (6 books)
  • After Dark (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Primetime (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Chronology (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Windows into Hell (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Darkscapes (Curiosity Quills Anthology)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • A Burnt-Out Case
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99