Start by marking “The Box of Tricks” as Want to Read:
The Box of Tricks

The Box of Tricks

Multiverse spanning action and adventure, with eye-popping special effects (requires reader input). To prevent catastrophe Earth needs the ultimate eco-warrior, but is mild-mannered Edinburgh taxi driver Tom Mathers up to the challenge?

Exploring questions of ethics, resource management, and caring for our planet, this hilarious, yet sobering journey through the multiverse

Start your review of The Box of Tricks
Heena Rathore P.
The Box Of Tricks by Alistair Potter is an explosive sci-fi novel that has something to offer to all of its readers. It has a great storyline that is executed well and a brilliantly created world that made reading this book a complete delight. The characterisation was excellent and I was able to feel a connection with the main characters, Tom, Caroline and Fanshawe and felt that the secondary characters were also very believable.

The writing was good and easy to read. The tightness of exposition
M.J. Lau
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Mathers opens a letter left behind by his recently deceased uncle, containing a few instructions and a strange little card. Remembering his uncle as a bit of jokester, he expected some amusing little trick. What unfolds is certainly amusing, but no mean trick at all.

The Box of Tricks is such a joyride I’d hate to spoil anything for the soon-to-be-delighted reader. I was hooked by the second page, and Alistair Potter’s deft storytelling never flags. He has gift for describing characters and p
Karen
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read and I think it would make a good movie. The conceit at the bottom of it all, the reason the planet Earth appears to be going to Helena Handbasket, was a nice touch, and something I hadn't seen before. Similarly, several of the SF/fantasy elements around time, such as unaging, crop enhancement, collecting, etc. are unexpectedly and wittily rendered. Comparisons to Douglas Adams are well deserved.

I was not as enamored of the character development and pacing of this novel as som
Adam
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I’ve found a gem of the British humour style here, a gallivanting and smartly entertaining roam through time and space with likeable characters, courteous threats and a temporal twist that leaks the occasional hint that it’s all under the control of a well-prepared story telling mind.

Let’s talk about Fanshawe, a secondary character who could have equivalent status with Flashman or Raffles if the public got behind him. He’s a charming, lawful rascal with quick wits, a forgiving nature and
Bruce Perrin
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Witty Sci-Fi with a Message

The Box of Tricks has the mind-boggling technology one expects in a sci-fi book, along with the battle between good and evil. But under all the expected sci-fi trappings, Alistair Potter still delivers well-developed characters and even a message to his readers, all wrapped in humor and wit.

The story centers around Tom Mathers, a mild-mannered, somewhat socially inept taxi driver from Edinburgh. Thrust into his strange new reality, Tom matures. But even by the end of t
Adam Ingle
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With The Box of Tricks, author Alistair Potter manages to deftly combine elements of hard, military, and tongue-in-cheek Douglas Adams science fiction into a fast-paced adventure with a cast of engaging and entertaining characters. At times I felt like I was reading something akin to an old swashbuckling or globe-trotting Indiana Jones style adventure, just spanning a universe of planets and throwing in a fun and functional time manipulation mechanic that's as integral to the story as it is the ...more
Ian Oultram
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good read

A most enjoyable read, my sort of book with an exceptionally original storyline. I found this to be a real page-turner something Lee Child hasn’t been able to do with his last few novels!
Robby Charters
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He started out thinking it was a practical joke on the part of his late uncle. However, following his posthumous instructions pulls Tom into an alien environment, and face to face with his late uncle's employer. There, he learns that he's been recommended for the vacant position. At first, it's just a job of fetching mysterious gray boxes located at various locations on earth, and tele-porting them to their intended destination by shooting a glass "gun" at them. Strange and wonderful, and a lot ...more
Kayti Raet
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for readers favorite

In The Box of Tricks, Alistair Potter's tale of science fiction action adventure, Tom Mathers is a mild mannered taxi driver who discovers that he has inherited a curious blend of items from his recently deceased uncle. One of the most unique items is a simple grey card that a letter of his uncle promises to give him the adventure of a lifetime.
Touching the card tranports him to another world where he finds out that his uncle is a sort of intergalactic item retriever
Charles Remington
Feb 03, 2017
Charles Remington
Tom Mathers is a fairly typical British hero, rather shy, tongue-tied around attractive women, but stout-hearted, loyal, brave and always determined to do the right thing. The Box Of Tricks by Alistair Potter chronicles his adventures resulting from his inheritance of a small antique box from his Uncle Jim. Following the instructions contained in a brief accompanying note, he is catapulted into another dimension and invited by a somewhat shady character to continue with his uncle’s past employme ...more
Keith
Victor
Jan 05, 2018
Jacob Veronee
Oct 27, 2018
A writer of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Alistair Potter lives and works in the Scottish seaside town of Portobello, just outside of Edinburgh.

Alistair has been writing since 1993 and placing  short stories, cartoons and poetry in small publications. His work has been read on the BBC Radio4, Scottish Shorts series, and he is former recipient of a Scottish Arts Council New Writer's Bursary.

"I ho